Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

They in fact have 2.5 now as all 3 of Samuel, Keon Coleman, and Khalil Shakir will stretch the field in different ways. But Shakir is so good in his first 15 yards the Bills likely won't ask him to run too many deep stuff. But if they do...

Alright man. I think you lost the plot of what "field stretching WR" means. I'm aware that literally any WR can run vertical routes. That doesn't mean that say Cole Beasley is a field stretcher.

Anyways... Hopefully MVS if nothing else can take on the Gabe Davis decoy "draw coverage downfield" role and still come away with like 400-500 yards. For close to the vet minimum (presumably) this would be a good signing.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Brand J said:

That guy was dropping passes all year, even had a reporter asking him “whats wrong?” In the playoffs he made some tough catches. The WR needy Chiefs moved on, I don’t think we should pursue him.

The Chiefs acquired two speedy WR’s to replace him. We acquired Keon Coleman.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

he's there to compete for the back end of the rotation

Locks: (3) Samuel, Shakir, Coleman

Likely (1) : Justin Shorter

Intermediate to deep Guy Competition (1) : MVS, Chase Claypool, Tyrell Shavers, Mack Hollins

Speed/ST Guy (6) : KJ Hamler, Andy Isabella

Shorter is by no means likely.  Hollins is likely compared to Shorter

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, appoo said:

They in fact have 2.5 now as all 3 of Samuel, Keon Coleman, and Khalil Shakir will stretch the field in different ways. But Shakir is so good in his first 15 yards the Bills likely won't ask him to run too many deep stuff. But if they do...

Doing that in Sauce's(It really should be syrup for how much his hands stick to WRs) face, so good.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

Alright man. I think you lost the plot of what "field stretching WR" means. I'm aware that literally any WR can run vertical routes. That doesn't mean that say Cole Beasley is a field stretcher.

Anyways... Hopefully MVS if nothing else can take on the Gabe Davis decoy "draw coverage downfield" role and still come away with like 400-500 yards. For close to the vet minimum (presumably) this would be a good signing.

Well I guess I disagree with you on what defines a field stretcher. For me, it's any WR who a DC has to worry about downfield beyond have single coverage because of their ability to win deep through a variety of ways, which includes speed, route running, body control, length and point of attack. Shakir checks the box in the first 2.  Cole Beasley had nice burst, but wasn't fast enough to blow by guys deep, tall enough to create separation, and didn't have the kind of body control Diggs had to create space even with someone on him, downfield.  (that's one of Diggs' elite traits, and the one big thing we'll be missing this season)

I don't understand how anybody thinks Shorter has a chance to make the roster. I consider Hollins, Hamler, & Claypool all much more likely than Shorter.

• Agree 4

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'd be okay with this. We don't have a field stretching WR on the roster. He gives us a baseline for that role, albeit a low baseline.

I remember suggesting him as an option two months ago and getting some vomit reactions … thought you were one of them but must have been wrong ..

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’m one of his biggest detractors.  That said- he made some huge play last post season.  I’m sure he’d revert back to the unreliable version if we signed him, but he’s worth a shot considering our current WR5-6.  He’s brings us a deep threat

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It almost seems like Beane is trying to fix the WR room with numbers.   Get a bunch of flawed but affordable guys with potential upside and see who's good enough to stick.  

I think a better word for this is versatility

17 minutes ago, appoo said:

Why wouldn't you consider Shakir that? He's a 4.4 40 kid. We asked him to do other stuff because Davis and Diggs were locked into their roles.  But this season he's going to get a healthy dose of the 2020- 2022 Diggs role which was basically any route in the playbook.

He's gonna be a deep threat, and so are Samuel and Coleman. At least that'll be the roles they'll have, until they show they can not

Nothing in Shakir's history shows that he can be a consistent and capable deep threat. Could he become one? Sure, but he's never been one in college or so far in the pros. There's more to downfield ability than a 40 time.

Shakir's career yards per reception and aDOT at Boise State were not consistent with someone who is a reliable deep threat. Nothing he's shown in his time so far with the Bills indicates that much has changed in that regard.

As for Samuel, again, he simply has not shown to be a reliable deep threat in his career. Can he do it now and again? Sure, but that's not his bread and butter. Again, there's more to consistent downfield ability than just a 40 time.

Coleman is a rookie, so again he goes in the "MAYBE he can do it" pile, along with Hamler and Shakir. But in terms of guys who have PROVEN they can be consistent downfield threats at the NFL level? The Bills don't have any on the roster.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If he does sign, we'll have the tallest wr room in the NFL.  That career 50% catch rate is brutal so not a huge fan of this if it happens. 

Depth of target matters IMO. He’s always near the top. He basically averages 17-18 yards depth of target. Gabe Davis is also usually pretty high. This guy is a pure deep threat. That’s all.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I remember suggesting him as an option two months ago and getting some vomit reactions … thought you were one of them but must have been wrong ..

Did I? There was a thread last week with a poll about which available vet WR would be the best signing and MVS was my choice in that poll.

Then again I'm sure two months ago I felt very different. When you've struck out at the bar for four hours everybody sudddenly looks hotter.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1