In the Bills mini-rebuild trading Hamlin to Pittsburg might be the right thing to do.

gjv

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

Damar is a bottom 5 guy on the 53, he may or may not make it.  A trade is possible but not likely and would have a very negligible affect on anything IMO.

I like him as depth, when Hyde went down in 2022 Hamlin played like a solid backup. Hamlin is also a decent and willing special teams player which adds value to keeping him on the roster. Unless Hyde comes back for camp I think Hamlin is more likely to make the roster. With Cam Lewis counting as a safety the Bills usually carry 5 safeties and 6 CB's. If Hyde isn't back that leaves Hamlin as the favorite for one of the 4th/5th safety spots. There is always the possibility even if Hyde stays retired that a UDFA or another low tier free agent shines and puts Hamlin as expendable but I don't think that's likely.  

Why are we trying to trade a capable 4th/5th safety? When said player is cheap on a rookie deal, has been in our system for a few years and was actually decent depth in 2022?  I think it's fair to say last year wasn't the best version of Damar, coming through his long recovery to even participate in football activities.

Let's see how he does in training camp, if another rookie/cheap guy beats him for safety #5, so be it/cut him and he 100% signs with Pittsburgh (at the very least P/S)

18 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Bills are cutting Hamlin pending injuries in preseason. It will be Rapp, Edwards, Bishop, Lewis and maybe another vet like Hyde before Hamlin 

If/when we sign another capable vet, then this becomes more likely.  Although, Hyde is the only vet that I think would be on our radar...I put that at a very low % too (at least to start the season).

This team has kept 5 safeties in recent years.  Let's not act like Hamlin was useless in 2022, if he shows that caliber again in training camp.  I'm confident he'll be closer to that, than what we saw in limited action LY

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

If/when we sign another capable vet, then this becomes more likely.  Although, Hyde is the only vet that I think would be on our radar...I put that at a very low % too (at least to start the season).

This team has kept 5 safeties in recent years.  Let's not act like Hamlin was useless in 2022, if he shows that caliber again in training camp.  I'm confident he'll be closer to that, than what we saw in limited action LY

He was inactive the vast majority of the season. That’s about as useless as you can get without being cut. He’s behind Cam Lewis that was proven last year as well as Rapp. He’ll be behind Bishop and Edwards. 

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

He was inactive the vast majority of the season. That’s about as useless as you can get without being cut. He’s behind Cam Lewis that was proven last year as well as Rapp. He’ll be behind Bishop and Edwards. 

Again, I'm not debating what playing time/facts about how valuable he was LY.  I'm saying we are very likely to keep a 5th safety.  He is cheap, likely improving with a full/normal offseason, and been in the system for multiple years.

What we saw in 2022, and back to his days at Pitt, he is a capable backup.

I'm talking about a pure football standpoint.  His story is/was remarkable, he is a great person too.

But if we're talking purely about who our 5th safety would be, you think it's more likely we sign a vet for that spot- who is likely to be more expensive, riding the pine as well, and less familiar with our scheme?

Hyde aside, who I don't think is signing until mid season (if he even returns), you think we cut Hamlin in preseason for who?

7 hours ago, benderbender said:

No need to trade. He's going to get cut if Hyde comes back. He's safety 5 at the moment. 

Do you have information to suggest Hyde's return is going to happen?   For my part, I think he's probably done.

7 hours ago, gjv said:

It's common knowledge that Pittsburg native Gamar Hamlin grew up a Steelers fan, and has dreamed of wearing the Black and Gold. Sure, I know many NFL players never get the chance to play with their favorite team. But I think Hamlin's case is unique. 

Just cut him and let him sign there. Why would Pitt give us anything for Hamlin?  He's a bkup 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

The truth is any backup player generating press for non-football related reasons is a distraction. And I hate to say this, but it appears fame has gotten to Damar's head a little bit. Trading him to Pitt is a better PR move than just cutting him outright, but he probably shouldn't be on the roster this year regardless. 

By all means. please explain further how fame has "gotten to his head". I mean, all he does is go around the country performing charity work with his and other foundations. Like others have mentioned, he is not a "key" or "top" performer, so it's not like he doesn't have the free time to do the work. Not to mention, it's great publicity to the orginization. If anything, I would argue that he would probably be kept on the team as a depth guy, just for that reason alone (especially if someone significanly better doesn't become available), while he works on honing his skills and try to move up the depth chart. It's not like he is completely without skills on the field. He was solid in 2022 as a backup Yes, he needs to improve, but he is not the worst player we have had at the position. 

18 hours ago, Warcodered said:

People just really have a hard on for getting rid of Hamlin, just obsessed with the idea he's only here because of what happened, the idea he's safety depth is apparently absurd.

I agree with this. There really is no down side to keeping him. Based on history with our strength and conditioning, we have issues with players going down for extended periods, especially on the defensive side of the ball, so we need the depth in the defensive backfield. He knows the defense, he's popular with most fans, and he is a PR goldmine. at least for the time being he is, and I think that as long as the team see's imporvements or at least no decline in his skills, the smart play is keeping him. Cutting him could be a PR nightmare, and with all the BS the team had delt with with Diggs, they may not want to rock the boat. And I know that teams shouldn't concider PR when cutting players, but in this instanse, they might.

11 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Just cut him and let him sign there. Why would Pitt give us anything for Hamlin?  He's a bkup 

Riiight, because backup players that don't get a ton of playing time don't ever get traded because other teams see something in a player that another team doesn't. That NEVER happens! 😂😂🙄

Btw, Damar is currently a depth player, not a backup. Currently he only plays if there are injuries to multiple players. While specifically to Damar, you are correct, he would not be a trade target, "backup" players in general are traded routinely. 

Edited by BigPappy

21 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeesh. Tough crowd.

Logic, we all understand what Damar has meant to this team. His story will forever be part of what makes Buffalo a special place to play. But there comes a time when sentimentality transitions to common sense. If McDermott deems there's a better backup safety or ST player available,  he'll make the cut as he should.  We're not getting any picks from anyone based on the likelihood that Damar will be cut.  And Bills fans will send him off with the hope of continued success. 

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Logic, we all understand what Damar has meant to this team. His story will forever be part of what makes Buffalo a special place to play. But there comes a time when sentimentality transitions to common sense. If McDermott deems there's a better backup safety or ST player available,  he'll make the cut as he should.  We're not getting any picks from anyone based on the likelihood that Damar will be cut.  And Bills fans will send him off with the hope of continued success. 

Yep. Fully agree with that. I think there's a good chance Hamlin fails to make the roster this year.

I was more so just pointing out the callousness and flippancy of the posts I quoted. You'd think the guy was the worst player to ever suit up in a Bills jersey the way people talk about him. I agree that he's a replacement level guy and may well be cut, but reading some of the comments about him...yikes.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Warcodered said:

People just really have a hard on for getting rid of Hamlin, just obsessed with the idea he's only here because of what happened, the idea he's safety depth is apparently absurd.

Yup. He played reasonably well in 2022, certainly backup NFL safety level. If the team keeps him, it is not about PR