In the Bills mini-rebuild trading Hamlin to Pittsburg might be the right thing to do.

gjv

I think the "Bills only keep Hamlin on the roster for PR reasons" notion is the dumbest thing in forever.

Hamlin is, was, and has always been a bottom-of-the-roster, depth and special teams guy. 

He has remained on the Bills roster because no one more worthy of a roster spot has yet taken one from him. If and when it happens -- and it may very well be this year -- then he'll be cut.

Every team in the NFL has players like this. Unfortunately, because of Hamlin's traumatic medical event, the weekly "will he be active on game day or won't he?" Tweet would get posted on Twitter, it would be treated as some sort of big deal when he wasn't active, and then everyone would jump in and talk about crazy conspiracy theories, how Hamlin was only on the Bills roster because it would look bad if he was cut, blah blah blah.

To add to all of that, you have the Bills fans who are like "Gosh I wish he'd just stop playing for his own good", as if the man can't make his own decisions, and as if he didn't consult with numerous medical professionals.

I wish nothing but the best for Hamlin for the rest of his career and his life, be it here or elsewhere. But all of the discourse surrounding him from Bills fans and NFL fans in general is beyond ridiculous and eyeroll-inducing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The key here is, why would the Steelers want him? 

just sayin, 

42 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

People just really have a hard on for getting rid of Hamlin, just obsessed with the idea he's only here because of what happened, the idea he's safety depth is apparently absurd.

They’re looking out for his best interest. After all he almost died trying to provide that safety depth. How absurd would that have been?

3 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

They’re looking out for his best interest. After all he almost died trying to provide that safety depth. How absurd would that have been?

Fairly certain the army of doctors that examined and cleared Hamlin are in a better place to look out for his best interest than fans are. Hamlin's also an adult capable of making his own decisions.

People's hearts may be in the right place, but they shouldn't mistake what makes them personally feel more comfortable -- not having to see a player on the field who reminds them of the danger of the game of football -- with what's best for the player.

• Agree 3

54 minutes ago, Mango said:

I mean no disrespect to Damar Hamlin, but his trade value is approximately zero. If the Bills got a conditional 2026 7th rounder I would be shocked. 

Not only would I be shocked, I’d be elated.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gjv said:

It's common knowledge that Pittsburg native Gamar Hamlin grew up a Steelers fan, and has dreamed of wearing the Black and Gold. Sure, I know many NFL players never get the chance to play with their favorite team. But I think Hamlin's case is unique. 

All I care about is did we get at least a second round pick for him ???

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fairly certain the army of doctors that examined and cleared Hamlin are in a better place to look out for his best interest than fans are. Hamlin's also an adult capable of making his own decisions.

People's hearts may be in the right place, but they shouldn't mistake what makes them personally feel more comfortable -- not having to see a player on the field who reminds them of the danger of the game of football -- with what's best for the player.

You’re right of course. The fact that he also sucks at football fuels that general sentiment. I’d be shocked if he’s on the final roster this season. 

In fairness to the OP, the trade market for backup and 3rd string safeties is as hot as its been in nearly 20 years. Zero deals have been made BUT the market is still as hot as its ever been.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

In fairness to the OP, the trade market for backup and 3rd string safeties is as hot as its been in nearly 20 years. Zero deals have been made BUT the market is still as hot as its ever been.  

Curious…..if no deals have been made, how is that a hot market?

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think the "Bills only keep Hamlin on the roster for PR reasons" notion is the dumbest thing in forever.

Hamlin is, was, and has always been a bottom-of-the-roster, depth and special teams guy. 

He has remained on the Bills roster because no one more worthy of a roster spot has yet taken one from him. If and when it happens -- and it may very well be this year -- then he'll be cut.

Every team in the NFL has players like this. Unfortunately, because of Hamlin's traumatic medical event, the weekly "will he be active on game day or won't he?" Tweet would get posted on Twitter, it would be treated as some sort of big deal when he wasn't active, and then everyone would jump in and talk about crazy conspiracy theories, how Hamlin was only on the Bills roster because it would look bad if he was cut, blah blah blah.

To add to all of that, you have the Bills fans who are like "Gosh I wish he'd just stop playing for his own good", as if the man can't make his own decisions, and as if he didn't consult with numerous medical professionals.

I wish nothing but the best for Hamlin for the rest of his career and his life, be it here or elsewhere. But all of the discourse surrounding him from Bills fans and NFL fans in general is beyond ridiculous and eyeroll-inducing.

I thought that Hamlin was a pretty good depth player in his first couple of years in the league, but he was playing a lot around the time of his injury and has played a little bit since and he hasn't been very good.  There are worse 4th or 5th safeties in the NFL, but there are also better ones.  The Bills like Cam Lewis better because he can play corner too - he's more versatile.  Trading Hamlin to Pittsburgh for a conditional 7th rounder in the future would make sense for both clubs.  If he met certain playing time or statistical targets, the Bills would get the pick and if he didn't, no compensation would come back.  Most likely, he wouldn't hit the targets, and the pick would just be a gesture so that Hamlin could avoid the "stigma" of being cut.  I guess it would depend on whether the Steelers needed backup safety help.  Maybe they don't.

Edited by msw2112

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gjv said:

It's common knowledge that Pittsburg native Gamar Hamlin grew up a Steelers fan, and has dreamed of wearing the Black and Gold. Sure, I know many NFL players never get the chance to play with their favorite team. But I think Hamlin's case is unique. 

Pittsburgh also has an “h” at the end. 

edit: I believe it is the only Burg in the world with an “h” at the end, if i am recalling correctly.

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate