Seems like the Bills are building a WRer room full of large hardnose WRer's that can block.

gjv

4 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Come on guys try to be a little positive. You guys are like the two grumpy old men on the Muppet show lol

What the hell, are you spying on me?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bouds said:

Claypool is ass.  The dude is a problem in the locker room too, just ask the Bears/Steelers.

Maybe he just needs a fresh start everyone deserves a 2nd chance , oh wait 3rd ok so maybe 4th chance is the charm , 

on the serious note we know he’s got tools to be a good WR and he’s only 25 years old , 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Wish in one hand,  💩 in the other, and see which one fills up first.  😉

One guy just signed a very nice multi-year 2nd contract, and the other a vet min.  Yet somehow they are comparable players?

Roll the dice on a very cheap, easily get out contract with Claypool or have Gabe Davis for 13 mill for 3 years?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, gjv said:

Bills just added another large receiver Chris Claypool to a room of Coleman, Shavers, Hollis, and Shorter. It makes me think that McDermott and Brady are thinking about expanding on their 52% run vs pass.

Anytime that you can take the ball out of Josh Allen’s hands you gotta do it

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually in Allen's rookie season his top three targeted wide receivers were between 6'2" and 6'5".  

And the other targets included that 6'4" stiff Andre Holmes and of course Charles Clay.

Lil' Dummy McKenzie was the only smurf and he got like 30 targets. 

That strategy began in 2017 signing Holmes, trading for 6'3" Jordan Matthews and 6.5" Kelvin Benjamin.

It proved to be disastrous to their passing attack so they pivoted in 2019 and 2020 to smaller, quicker receivers.

Beane lamented the error of their ways trying to build around big catch radius guys instead of guys who got open.

You know the difference between that WR corp and Shaquem Griffin? At least Griffin had one good hand. 

• Haha (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The ball in Allen’s hands with any group of receivers we’ve had for the last five years hasn’t gotten us to the promise land either,  so maybe just maybe a change is in order, that and we got some fast guys as well, so think positive, that’s what I choose to do, this time it may all come together 

😁👍🍸🚬

I picked the wrong time to quit smoking 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

Exactly... @SDS you wanna change the Wall logo to Statler and Waldorf? Seems more appropriate for the clientele.. 

statler.jpg

Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it. 😀

4 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Obviously the biggest question with Claypool is how much will it cost to jettison him if he decides that he does not need to work anymore? His upside is great but he is a guy I want to be sure I can cut bait on easily if it goes poorly.

Well... If we can trade/ cut Diggs. I think we can get rid of Claypool too. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

or maybe they want WR's that can win vs physical press in the playoffs? 

Like all of us, Brady and McDermott saw Diggs being tossed around like a ragdoll.

Davis was bigger, but of course he couldn't get open or catch, so what good is that? 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Polar opposite of the smurfs from Allen's early days.

I wonder if the moves are a counter to the league trends towards the passing game that have resulted in smaller, but faster defenders who can cover.

Fine, you want to play that way, we'll just bulldoze your arses with 2 TE and big WRs. Let Cook juke his way through while Ray Davis and Josh Allen run over and past everyone else. If the defenders try to cheat up, we've got big guys with great hands who can move the chains from the slot, RBs who can slide out and catch,  or contested catches on the outside. Maybe we'll be seeing a little more from the screen passe game than we have in recent years.

I think that's where they're going with this.

Great observation.  Beane has been talking about needing to adapt on both offense and defense to stay ahead of trends, for months now.  It actually started last year with the drafting of Torrence and Kincaid.  Building a bully? 

2 hours ago, SoMAn said:

i wasn't referring to the mostly forgettable first season.  'Early years', as in the period when McD called his receiving corps 'the smurfs'.

Yeah I got your point but the context is that Allen has actually already been down this particular road before.    The only thing we can say is "well, he was a rookie then".  

But still, it's not new territory for this regime.   They've just come full circle back to 2017 with this corps.    It's definitely a bottom 10 group on paper and that might be being generous.  

The concept that the Chiefs have shown and proved that you don't need quality is flawed by the fact that they've been trying hard to not let their WR corps diminish.    They've picked a WR in the 1st or 2nd round each of the past 3 drafts and traded day 2 capital for Toney as well.    They've been trying hard to be better.   It wasn't their strategy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stinky finger said:

Roll the dice on a very cheap, easily get out contract with Claypool or have Gabe Davis for 13 mill for 3 years?

Which one has put up 20 TDs in the last 3 seasons, and which as put up 4?

6 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

They want BIG and Athletic.  Speed is good, don't get me wrong, but they are seeming to push for big, physical WR's and that is what Joe Brady had his year as OC with HIS offense down at LSU.  No more getting bullied at the LOS, and hopefully a lot more contested balls.  It also brings a greater Catch radius for Allen to hit on when his passes are slightly off.

Look I get it, Fans want splash they want exciting and we tried that with smaller, faster WR's and it didn't work.  I am excited to see this new approach to be honest, and if we get the running game going, then we are going to see somewhat less exciting 8, 10,12+ play drives that eat the clock and keep guys like Mahomes and Kelce on the bench and hopefully lead to more TD's.

Sounds like Martyball from the 90s. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Ok come on. We can’t have it both ways. People complain that Beane only drafts team leaders and pure choir boys, then they complain when we sign people with checkered pasts. 

guys with checkered pasts ....who suck.  Claypool and Ophelius (what ever his name is, former Det WR).

I'll take a checkered past if he's solid. Like when Calvin Ridley was available for a trade and Jax got him 

I agree with the OP.  Said in another post, but given it's still a competitive, but "transitional" season, preserving Josh as much as possible with a very healthy run game makes all the sense to me.  Bring in those bigger WRs to block and some tough young RBs - makes perfect sense to me.  How amazingly deadly with play action be with Josh if the run game is a legit threat >  Just look at the run they went on to end the reg season - one of the highest run %s during that time.  They looked downright nasty with a real run game - and big WRs help that cause immensely!

20 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Sounds like Martyball from the 90s. 

Actually... think Bill Pacells Giants.  They had size and a damn solid TE.  They had a jitterbug type back and a couple speed guys.

• Like (+1) 1