OBJ To Miami

Not sure why everyone thinks he is totally washed. It's upsetting that Beane didn't think this type of talent was worth Deonte Harty money when our outside WR depth chart is the worst in the league. I just don't get it.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Logic said:

That's kind of the problem in a nutshell. You ran out of receivers to list after the first three, and had to start bringing up tight ends and running backs.

Unfortunately, good NFL offenses require more than three capable receivers -- if for no other reason than depth in case of injury -- and the Bills currently don't have any. They're throwing a bunch of a vet minimum and special teams guys at the wall to see what sticks, hence my camp battle comments.

I disagree that "we fine". I think we lack any capable receivers past the first three you listed (one of whom is a rookie and hasn't even proven to be capable yet), and Beane's strategy for solving that issue is to scrape the bottom of the barrel and to cross fingers and hope. But as I've said before: Hope is not a strategy.

I think many are implying Beane didn’t do enough at WR because they don’t like who he picked up. We lost Diggs and Davis and replaced them with Coleman and Samuel (2 for 2). Coleman is unproven, but Diggs fell off at the end of last season and Gabe has always been so hot or cold.

We also lost Sheffield and Harty but we picked up Hamler, Claypool, Hollins, Cephus then we have Shorter coming into year 2. Sheffield and Harty weren’t doing a whole lot last year, so it’s def not a net loss and maybe even a net gain on this second grouping here. 

in addition, our TE group is very strong with Kincaid and Knox, both better than many teams #1 TE, not to mention Kincaid coming into year 2. There is a good chance he becomes the #1 target much like Kelce with KC. It certainly can’t be ruled out as a possibility. Then we have Cook who is no slouch receiving. 

Overall we lost many targets and receptions in Diggs and Davis, however, we also saw how the offense performed with Diggs being largely invisible the second half of last season. Now with Brady having a full offseason to build his offense around the guys on the roster, it shouldn’t be surprising if our offense has another strong season. We have a lot of potential on our offense with many of the key contributors being young and ascending. Plus, we have Allen who is amazing and I’m super excited to see him in year 2 of Brady’s offense with it being anyone’s guess who Allen ends up targeting the most. Allen will put the ball in a good location on most of his pass attempts and will most likely spread the ball well. 

Lastly, we didn’t really have more than 3 capable WR’s last year. We

had Diggs, Davis and Shakir (who started last season unproven). I don’t know many would have considered Harty or Sheffield as capable prior to last season. Honestly, any team that looses their top 3 WR is going to be in a tough spot. So I don’t understand where that comment is coming from. We also have two solid TE’s and a very capable receiving back.

i don’t think our offense will struggle as much as many are alluding too. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Great less touches for the child/girlfriend/deckhand/flag football chick-beater.   

OBJ doesn’t scare anyone really, but will add drama to what I think this year in Miami will be a sh!tsh?w.  

Agreed. With Tua being a one read QB, OBJ will be banging the table for more targets. Let’s also factor in McDaniel scorning Hill about not performing up to his pay grade, which in my opinion will fester in to some ugly sideline exchanges as the season goes on. Signing OBJ could very well cause drama in so many different ways this year

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

That's my default position. I'm disappointed and somewhat angry about it. I don't think it's smart.

We can still win, but it will be harder than it needs to be, and with hardly any margin for injury.

I'm holding open a sliver of hope that Beane has a post 6/1 trade or signing in mind.

Don't really give a damn if some folks think that is foolish. It's not metaphysically impossible, and I'd prefer 

to hope that Beane has a better feel for the quality of his WR room, though probably he doesn't.

Why would you think Beane has a poor feel for quality?  The past 4 years he has made rational moves to try and get incrementally better.  

The entire off-season can all make sense with really just the one move - a trade for a top tier WR.  Then only taking one WR in a loaded WR draft makes sense.  Letting Diggs go can be justified and makes sense (cancer in the locker room, bad leader).  Not picking up a semi-decent washed vet -like OBJ or M Thomas makes sense (would inhibit new rookie and Shakir/C Samuel).  The WR room would look better than last years.  Year over year the WR room looks better with this one addition.

Beane has stated he never wanted to waste a year of Josh.  This one move is by far the biggest move to keep the Bills in the upper status that they have been in the last few years.  The Bills will have some money to use (Tre and Josh restructure) and draft capital (extra 2+4) next year. 

If the Bills don't do a trade for a really good WR the problem will still exist for next years off-season, why would a rational GM wait?

Beane has been an extremely rational and sensible GM.  For the reasons above, I have been expecting Beane to make a trade for a good WR.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Why would you think Beane has a poor feel for quality?  The past 4 years he has made rational moves to try and get incrementally better.  

The entire off-season can all make sense with really just the one move - a trade for a top tier WR.  Then only taking one WR in a loaded WR draft makes sense.  Letting Diggs go can be justified and makes sense (cancer in the locker room, bad leader).  Not picking up a semi-decent washed vet -like OBJ or M Thomas makes sense (would inhibit new rookie and Shakir/C Samuel).  The WR room would look better than last years.  Year over year the WR room looks better with this one addition.

Beane has stated he never wanted to waste a year of Josh.  This one move is by far the biggest move to keep the Bills in the upper status that they have been in the last few years.  The Bills will have some money to use (Tre and Josh restructure) and draft capital (extra 2+4) next year. 

If the Bills don't do a trade for a really good WR the problem will still exist for next years off-season, why would a rational GM wait?

Beane has been an extremely rational and sensible GM.  For the reasons above, I have been expecting Beane to make a trade for a good WR.

If he makes the move for a good WR after 6/1, he gets credit for having a plan that is rational. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

Right now, it's ambiguous, and won't be resolved until one sees what actually happens. Lots of folks appear to think the current situation 

is the necessary cost of resetting the cap. They further suppose the plethora of bottom of the WR room scraps that we have recently added is all that can reasonably be expected. Worse, some of them are happy about it, and think we're fine.

Right now, Beane is not indicating there will be a move. Is he lying? I hope so.

Maybe he's just keeping his powder dry, but I surmise he's either got a trade in principle, or it's unlikely to occur.

Myself, I don't really understand adding more longshots if you've truly got a later move already worked out.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gregg said:

No. The Jets are the two-time defending offseason champions. 

How does anyone forget the Jets preseason hype machine? Is it the unbelievably hilarious and predictable Rodgers flop that ended their season four snaps into week one (despite Allen's nightmare efforts to lose that one)? Oh man, him running onto the field with an American flag. So good.

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yards dont mean squat. Points and wins are what matters. And over the last handful of years the Dolphins only have 1 win over us, and it took them harnessing the power of the SUN to beat us.

For all the flack I've given McD, he's proven he has Tua figured out. Take away his first option and he's toast.

He's "ok" at getting the ball out to weapons who can YAC. He's not a good field general.

Milano will end him this year.

They did play us tough in 2022 in general, including their 3rd string QB nearly pulling something off on the road in the playoffs. That was troubling. But seems like McD and his D have since adjusted to Miami's mostly scripted first-read attack. And now that their defense has lost mucho talent in the front-7 (to injury and FA)...I think they're even less of a threat than ever.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Not to mention we were down going into the game....

• Micah Hyde
  • Jordan Poyer
  • Tre White
  • Mitch Morse
  • Dane Jackson
  • Ed Oliver
  • Jordan Phillips
  • Khalil Shakir

Then Christian Benford breaks his hand, Greg Van Rotten and Spencer Brown get heat exhaustion.  

Allen was an effing beast in that game, and ironically it was HIS bad throw at the end that was the difference. 

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Tommy Doyle finishing the game with a torn ACL!

Miami's only win involved all of these extenuating circumstances. It's remarkable what it takes for the Dolphins to beat Josh Allen.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Not sure why everyone thinks he is totally washed. It's upsetting that Beane didn't think this type of talent was worth Deonte Harty money when our outside WR depth chart is the worst in the league. I just don't get it.

Gotta be real here: this highlight package is super impressive. Looks like the OBJ that generated so much buzz so long ago. 

So was it just injuries, and then (when healthy again finally) being part of a Lamar Jackson offense that diminished his impact? These are Baltimore highlights, but from the look of them, you have to at least wonder, "why aren't there more of these?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Because to admit that he'd probably walk in here as WR1 would mean maybe things aren't as buttoned up as people have convinced themselves they are

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

How does anyone forget the Jets preseason hype machine? Is it the unbelievably hilarious and predictable Rodgers flop that ended their season four snaps into week one (despite Allen's nightmare efforts to lose that one)? Oh man, him running onto the field with an American flag. So good.

They did play us tough in 2022 in general, including their 3rd string QB nearly pulling something off on the road in the playoffs. That was troubling. But seems like McD and his D have since adjusted to Miami's mostly scripted first-read attack. And now that their defense has lost mucho talent in the front-7 (to injury and FA)...I think they're even less of a threat than ever.

Allen was an effing beast in that game, and ironically it was HIS bad throw at the end that was the difference. 

Miami's only win involved all of these extenuating circumstances. It's remarkable what it takes for the Dolphins to beat Josh Allen.

Gotta be real here: this highlight package is super impressive. Looks like the OBJ that generated so much buzz so long ago. 

So was it just injuries, and then (when healthy again finally) being part of a Lamar Jackson offense that diminished his impact? These are Baltimore highlights, but from the look of them, you have to at least wonder, "why aren't there more of these?"

Because Baltimore also has an AllPro TE and TWO first round picks at WR to spread the ball around

Again, OBJ wasn’t coming here to play behind Shakir, Samuel, and Coleman. Also he wasn’t coming here for what Miami signed him for. We’d have to top it by a good amount.

We need a WR1 or a WR4/5. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If he makes the move for a good WR after 6/1, he gets credit for having a plan that is rational. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

Right now, it's ambiguous, and won't be resolved until one sees what actually happens. Lots of folks appear to think the current situation 

is the necessary cost of resetting the cap. They further suppose the plethora of bottom of the WR room scraps that we have recently added is all that can reasonably be expected. Worse, some of them are happy about it, and think we're fine.

Right now, Beane is not indicating there will be a move. Is he lying? I hope so.

Maybe he's just keeping his powder dry, but I surmise he's either got a trade in principle, or it's unlikely to occur.

Myself, I don't really understand adding more longshots if you've truly got a later move already worked out.

I agree, to keep his placement as a top GM in my mind, this all comes together with a trade for a top tier WR.  If a trade doesn't happen this is by far Beane's worst off-season in his tenure.

True, lots of people think the current state is fine.  I'm not one of them.  The youth movement was hopefully the reset.  Having one expensive playmaker (outside of the QB) is entirely reasonable - currently we only have $8M C Samuel, it's an inexpensive offense.

The longshots still make sense because you want to improve the back end of the roster too.  And you need a lot of camp bodies anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I agree, to keep his placement as a top GM in my mind, this all comes together with a trade for a top tier WR.  If a trade doesn't happen this is by far Beane's worst off-season in his tenure.

True, lots of people think the current state is fine.  I'm not one of them.  The youth movement was hopefully the reset.  Having one expensive playmaker (outside of the QB) is entirely reasonable - currently we only have $8M C Samuel, it's an inexpensive offense.

The longshots still make sense because you want to improve the back end of the roster too.  And you need a lot of camp bodies anyway.

Yeah, what you say is plausible, but somehow before he brought them in, I was more confident in the plan to bring in a top WR happening.

I just can't fathom the narrative that many here are satisfied with about changing the offense and building a bully, etc.

Great, I've no real objections to that, but do it with a WR room that isn't bottom five in the league.

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Because to admit that he'd probably walk in here as WR1 would mean maybe things aren't as buttoned up as people have convinced themselves they are

Because Baltimore also has an AllPro TE and TWO first round picks at WR to spread the ball around

They didn't really have that all-pro TE for more than 60% of last season, and their ROOKIE WR was a MUCH larger piece of the puzzle than Beckham Jr. In fact, Beckham's numbers were closer to BOTH TEs (including the injured one) than they were to Flowers. He DID way outpace Agholor and Bateman lol, I guess.

Baltimore is not where WRs go to flourish. So that's in fact a benefit to Beckham's prospects. Those highlights are sharp. But still, he has not logged a complete, successful season, in a LONG time. 

• Like (+1) 1