Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Claypool is only 25 and Uber talented.

Also the Claypool curse is a thing. 

So now we’ll have the Madden Curse, the Flutie Curse, the ancient burial ground, AND the Claypool Curse working against us??? 😞

Folks who tired of the Diggs drama, wait 'til you get a load of Claypool🤣  At least he won't make cryptic tweets, he'll just come right out and throw his team under the bus to the press.  A complete 180 from the most recent draft philosophy of locker room leaders.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

My worst memory of Claypool is this call. Right call, but I hate the rule and the play cost the Bills the game:

Claypool had a nice sideline grab in this game.  Unfortunately.  

11 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Folks who tired of the Diggs drama, wait 'til you get a load of Claypool🤣  At least he won't make cryptic tweets, he'll just come right out and throw his team under the bus to the press.  A complete 180 from the most recent draft philosophy of locker room leaders.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  

Beane is looking for the good in people and trying to fill up the WR room with inexpensive guys who will compete, hoping one (or more) of them will surprise.  

7 hours ago, Sweats said:

I'm beginning to believe that it doesn't really matter who we ever bring onto this team..........the fans are going to hate every signing, every prospect, everything........no player is ever good enough for you guys.

Claypool hasn’t been good enough for anybody thus far

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Hmm this is something at least. My worry is that it means the Bills are done with the WR room though. They are seemingly betting on one of Hamler or Claypool to restore their careers here with no backup plan in place.

The entire WR Corp. are backups.  Let's be honest

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I don't know much about him, but there's quite a bit of natural physical ability there

If Beane/Sean/WR's coach/Brady believe they can get something out of him, who knows

Suddenly, we have some Huge WR's

Keon Coleman

Justin Shorter

Chase Claypool

Tyrell Shavers 

Quintez Cephus

Yeah. Kelvin Benjamin was huge too. 

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean he’s financially motivated to at least appear to not be an idiot for one year so he will fix himself short term imo…can he still play is the question 

You’ve persuaded me. He’s gonna have a breakout year.

As far as traits are concerned he’s pretty much exactly what the Bills are looking for. Would be great if he’s had his come to Jesus moment. He was never going to get many reps in Miami but he also didn’t make the most of them.

6 hours ago, vincec said:

I’m not sure why there is so much focus on the WR room when it was obvious over the second half of last season that the Bills are becoming a run heavy team that throws mostly to its TEs and backs. How many catches did Diggs and Davis, their #1 and #2 WRs, even have the last 8 games of last season? And then they draft two more OL, a RB and a big, physical WR. That should be telling everyone something, IMO.

This is one of those highly unappreciated takes that we may look back on and all claim to have made. I actually see a lot of signs pointing towards bully-ball, both with our WR and RB rooms, bigger, meaner dudes, and Beane going counter to the speedy small guys. 

Time will tell if it works out, but there is an argument to be made for zagging, whenever everyone else is zigging. It puts stress on the prevailing defenses, who are focused on stopping speed. 

33 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Diggs was #1 receiver, Claypool will be #4 t the very most.  Very different.  If he's an asshat he'll see his ass gone

• Eyeroll 1

I just saw they signed Claypool.  You talk about the bottom of the barrel.  If he makes the 53, 1) he's had a major attitude adjustment, or 2) we are in serious trouble.  I hope its #1.  as it stands we may have one of the least talented (certainly the least proven) WR rooms in the league IMO.

1 hour ago, Putin said:

The 3 teams in the past 4 years were probably thinking the same 

Steelers drafted him mid-2nd round

Bears traded their 2nd round pick for him (#32)
I think Claypool got to thinking that his ***** smelled like Roses just because he was a 2nd round pick and laid down a couple of 800+ yd seasonss.  

Last year, the Bears benched him then shipped him off to Miami for a 2025 6th round pick after Claypool made any petulance/checking out Diggs might have displayed look like a minor toddler dispute.  

In case that didn't get the message across that he better shape up and do his 1/53rd, the Dolphins let him on the field with the offense for 51 whole snaps in 9 games, while expecting him to grind on ST.   He was inactive a couple of games, anyone know what was up with that?  

Anyway, if the Bills are prepared to manage him I don't have a problem with it - given  the Bills cap, it has to be a low $$ deal.  Let him compete with Cetus and Shorter and Shavers for the #6 spot

7 hours ago, Logic said:

If the Bills plan on being a "run heavy" team going forward, I'm moving to Australia and following rugby instead. 

It's two-thousand-twenty-four and the Buffalo Bills employ Joshua Patrick Allen at quarterback. RUN HEAVY?!

30 rock beer GIF by theCHIVE

At the same time, the Bills seem to do better the less they have Josh Allen do.

One way to accomplish that is using heavier formations with bigger receivers and a better run/pass balance.  

Very good signings.  

This is Chase's last chance.  It's do or die for him.  If he values any kind of NFL career, this is THE best scenario he's ever been in.

GOOD LUCK!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Steelers drafted him mid-2nd round

Bears traded their 2nd round pick for him (#32)
I think Claypool got to thinking that his ***** smelled like Roses just because he was a 2nd round pick and laid down a couple of 800+ yd seasonss.  

Last year, the Bears benched him then shipped him off to Miami for a 2025 6th round pick after Claypool made any petulance/checking out Diggs might have displayed look like a minor toddler dispute.  

In case that didn't get the message across that he better shape up and do his 1/53rd, the Dolphins let him on the field with the offense for 51 whole snaps in 9 games, while expecting him to grind on ST.   He was inactive a couple of games, anyone know what was up with that?  

Anyway, if the Bills are prepared to manage him I don't have a problem with it - given  the Bills cap, it has to be a low $$ deal.  Let him compete with Cetus and Shorter and Shavers for the #6 spot

The games I know off hand he was inactive for were right  before and after the trade and I believe he had some knee issues as well. Not 100% sure if that was the cause of any inactives, though.

Jokes aside, I agree that the signing isn't a terrible bone. I actually think this may be exactly the team and location he needs at this point. Close knit team. No real distractions. A lot of solid leadership. Coaches that coach and support the players. Contrast that with South Beach. A HC that wants to joke and be buddies. A locker room with quite a few players with odd attitudes (Ramsey, Wilkins, Tyreek ect). And of course the distractions and nightlife of Miami right in his back yard.

Best case he knows this may be his last opportunity and we see him focus and grow. Guy put up 800+ yards each of his first 2 seasons. Let's not pretend he doesn't have talent. Worst case he flakes yet again and he's on the waiver wire and Bills aren't (likely) out much. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, notpolian said:

I just saw they signed Claypool.  You talk about the bottom of the barrel.  If he makes the 53, 1) he's had a major attitude adjustment, or 2) we are in serious trouble.  I hope its #1.  as it stands we may have one of the least talented (certainly the least proven) WR rooms in the league IMO.

Thing is, he's not the bottom of the barrel.  That would be someone like John Ross (who?  Cincinnati 1st round WR 2017) or N'Keal Harry or....Kadarius Toney?  Guys who were drafted high and have not been able to live up to it.  Or, for that matter, Andy Isabella and KJ Hamler.

Claypool undoubtedly has talent.  He showed that in '20 and again in '21.  He can play at an NFL level.   It's just whatever's in his damn Haid that's the question.

There musta been something in the water of that Pittsburgh locker room, WR catching the Cray-Cray all round: Antonio Brown, Juju S-S, Claypool 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, WMDman said:

Not the chase claypool curse!!!

Maybe the curse, combined with our general cursed life, can combine to fight evil

Marvel Balance GIF