Jags rumoured to get back to back London games again in 2024

Posted (edited)

Greed. That will be the demise of the NFL.  Time zones, team travel problems (jet lag), not enough elite positional players for even 32 teams, language barriers, native preferred sports (soccer), etc.  Top of the NA food chain and just being greedy and spreading too thin and wide.

Edited by sleeby
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

At least this time we won't be the "experiment"

Actually this is a continuation of the experiment. Now that teams have witnessed the problems the Bills faced, will they do things differently than the Bills did. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Actually this is a continuation of the experiment. Now that teams have witnessed the problems the Bills faced, will they do things differently than the Bills did. 

I would love to see the team that faces them second rest their starters and give a half-ass effort as a “yeah, well FU right back” to Goodell. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, sleeby said:

Greed. That will be the demise of the NFL.  Time zones, team travel problems (jet lag), not enough elite positional players for even 32 teams, language barriers, native preferred sports (soccer), etc.  Top of the NA food chain and just being greedy and spreading too thin and wide.

The NFL is too big I don't see there ever being a true demise but I feel like the NFL will start to go the way of the current NBA.  Ratings and revenue will still be great but the purist fans of football will lose interest and the NFL will generally be talked about how much better the product was 10-15 years ago.  There's a lot of people on the board that deny this but I already see it in a lot of places how people talk about the NFL this way.  It's sad but money talks and that's all that really matters for the Owners of the league.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

17 minutes ago, transient said:

I would love to see the team that faces them second rest their starters and give a half-ass effort as a “yeah, well FU right back” to Goodell. 

That is possible.  It might be teams playing the second week get a bye week the week before so they have the flexibility to go over earlier to acclimate.  

It's definitely an unfair advantage for the Jags, the 2nd week at least. They get a whole week to adapt where the other team comes in on a whim and has to play a game. Hopefully, it's not us going over there this year and getting screwed out of a home game like someone else mentioned. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

That is possible.  It might be teams playing the second week get a bye week the week before so they have the flexibility to go over earlier to acclimate.  

That is possible but would mean that team is still at a disadvantage by having the earliest possible bye - week 4. Because last year the Jags games were home (Wembley) week 4 and road (toilet bowl) week 5. So in order for the home team to get the chance to go over a week before they'd have to have the week 4 bye. 

But the NFL is going to persist with this idea over the next few years and as you say see if teams can adjust / find a way to deal with it. They will only accept defeat once they have tried every possible way to make it work. 

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

It's definitely an unfair advantage for the Jags, the 2nd week at least. They get a whole week to adapt where the other team comes in on a whim and has to play a game. Hopefully, it's not us going over there this year and getting screwed out of a home game like someone else mentioned. 

Won't be the Bills. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is possible but would mean that team is still at a disadvantage by having the earliest possible bye - week 4. Because last year the Jags games were home (Wembley) week 4 and road (toilet bowl) week 5. So in order for the home team to get the chance to go over a week before they'd have to have the week 4 bye. 

But the NFL is going to persist with this idea over the next few years and as you say see if teams can adjust / find a way to deal with it. They will only accept defeat once they have tried every possible way to make it work. 

Won't be the Bills. 

Is there any reason the league can’t schedule the London games a few weeks later?

Hidden in the small print will be this...

"Opposing team will fly in the morning of the game and proceed directly to the stadium and will have three hours before the game start to do a walk thru and warmups."

• Haha (+1) 1

If the NFL insists on doing this, IMO the best way is to send 4 teams over. Maybe the whole AFC South. Have Jax vs Tennessee and Indy vs Houston the first week for instance. Then switch dance partners and schedule Jax vs Indy and Tennessee/Houston. That way everyone has the same benefit of being in place for 2 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The NFL is too big I don't see there ever being a true demise but I feel like the NFL will start to go the way of the current NBA.  Ratings and revenue will still be great but the purist fans of football will lose interest and the NFL will generally be talked about how much better the product was 10-15 years ago.  There's a lot of people on the board that deny this but I already see it in a lot of places how people talk about the NFL this way.  It's sad but money talks and that's all that really matters for the Owners of the league.  

Maybe for your age group and your demographic but the next generation will just enjoy it for what it is. That's been the way since the beginning of sports. With each set of generational changes you get the generation that grew up with the old game who say "it was better in my day." I turn 40 in a couple of weeks *sobs* and me and my mates get nostalgic over Premier League soccer from the 90s when the game was played at 100mph and was a bit more blood and thunder. I made my 19 year old second cousin sit and watch a re-run of an old game with me over Xmas and he was like "this is utter crap it's so basic, just like a fight on a soccer field." His generation much prefer the smoother, more methodical, less physical style of today. I don't speak to any teenage Americans (I'm guessing there are not many of those here) but I suspect you'd get a similar feeling re. the NFL.

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Is there any reason the league can’t schedule the London games a few weeks later?

You will have to ask the league why they always tend to go for early in the season. There are some ground availability issues as you get later in the year (they normally try and coincide at least one of the weeks with the Premier League break for international fixtures) but I don't think there is anything insurmountable. I wonder whether they think weather is a factor too that might affect attendances for the neutral fans who are not hardcore of either team. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe for your age group and your demographic but the next generation will just enjoy it for what it is. That's been the way since the beginning of sports. With each set of generational changes you get the generation that grew up with the old game who say "it was better in my day." I turn 40 in a couple of weeks *sobs* and me and my mates get nostalgic over Premier League soccer from the 90s when the game was played at 100mph and was a bit more blood and thunder. I made my 19 year old second cousin sit and watch a re-run of an old game with me over Xmas and he was like "this is utter crap it's so basic, just like a fight on a soccer field." His generation much prefer the smoother, more methodical, less physical style of today. I don't speak to any teenage Americans (I'm guessing there are not many of those here) but I suspect you'd get a similar feeling re. the NFL.

You will have to ask the league why they always tend to go for early in the season. There are some ground availability issues as you get later in the year (they normally try and coincide at least one of the weeks with the Premier League break for international fixtures) but I don't think there is anything insurmountable. I wonder whether they think weather is a factor too that might affect attendances for the neutral fans who are not hardcore of either team. 

That's a fair take.  Like I said in my original post the ratings and overall interest in the NFL aren't going anywhere.  

Edited by BillsPride12
  • Like (+1) 1