K J Hamler the new speed threat?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

23 games, 42 recs, 620 yards, 3 tds.  The definition of a JAG.

Numbers without context…how lazy is that?

most of those games were as a rookie behind Sutton and Jeudy. Then he had hamstring issues, a torn ACL, a torn pec and heart issues (likely viral) right around when Hamlin almost died and semi-retired. 

We are talking skills, here. Did you watch him at Penn State? Or as a rookie in Denver? He is lightning in a bottle. I’m not putting much stock in him breaking out due to his lengthy injury history, but I could easily see him being a Hollywood Brown clone if he can stay healthy.

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Guy has had injury after injury since he got drafted and Broncos have been one of the worst run franchises the last couple years, but not sure why Indy let him go if he’s some kind of hidden gem that just needed to get healthy.  

Hamler kind of reminds me a bit of John Brown. Brown was pretty much the same size (2 inches taller but played at the same weight) and had many injuries that caused him to either miss games or play through injury early in his career when with Arizona. Sometimes the smaller WRs take longer to get their body NFL ready so they add weight/muscle without sacrifice to their calling card...which is speed.

In any event it's not like Buffalo signed him to a large contract. Low risk with potential for a nice upside is never a bad thing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Hamler is interesting.  He’s battled some injuries and poor QB play.  He has only played in 10 games the past 3 seasons.  He’s worth a shot. I think he makes the team over Isabella. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mailman said:

It wouldn't surprise me, at this point. McBeane just doesn't value the wide out spot like most modern teams. Same song and dance in Carolina. 

That's the rub. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Hamler kind of reminds me a bit of John Brown. Brown was pretty much the same size (2 inches taller but played at the same weight) and had many injuries that caused him to either miss games or play through injury early in his career when with Arizona. Sometimes the smaller WRs take longer to get their body NFL ready so they add weight/muscle without sacrifice to their calling card...which is speed.

In any event it's not like Buffalo signed him to a large contract. Low risk with potential for a nice upside is never a bad thing.

Hope Hamler can kick the injury bug, but those injuries take a toll on productivity as well.

Smoke had a 1,000 yd season in his 2nd season. Was productive as a rookie as well. Then had a few nice seasons with the Bills

Hamler has done NOTHING so far.

• Like (+1) 1

I really liked Hamler coming out. He was a sneaky WR target in the second that I wanted the Bills to get.

All that being said, he has proven to be closer to a less durable Goodwin. It would be nice if he could carve out a decent career but he should be looked at like a lotto ticket at best 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

Numbers without context…how lazy is that?

most of those games were as a rookie behind Sutton and Jeudy. Then he had hamstring issues, a torn ACL, a torn pec and heart issues (likely viral) right around when Hamlin almost died and semi-retired. 

We are talking skills, here. Did you watch him at Penn State? Or as a rookie in Denver? He is lightning in a bottle. I’m not putting much stock in him breaking out due to his lengthy injury history, but I could easily see him being a Hollywood Brown clone if he can stay healthy.

Exactly. I pretty much just said the same thing to someone else lol

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

As it stands, we have 3 roster locks and Mack Hollins as a likely 4th.

If we don’t make any additions, my pre-camp guess would be Hamler and Shavers as the 5th & 6th, based on what we’ve heard. 

Shorter and Cephus being their competition but Hamler brings a speed element we can use on the outside and Shavers has been specifically referenced a few times by Beane. 

I always figure Shorter and Shavers are in comp for one spot.  The other is likely PS bound. I suppose someone could poach, but 35 WRs were drafted in 2024 (33 in 2023).  Considering our WR depth isn't particularly notable, i'd say buffalo is probably more likely to sign a player they like off of an opponents PS than to have one taken off of ours.  

Hamler i felt had a decent roster track if he can stay healthy as there really aren't many players on the roster with kick and punt return experience.  You basically have Shakir and Samuel who both have some experience, and Johnson who has some KR experience.  

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Well, we do really need another slot WR. 🤔🙄

Maybe we can come up with a new formation featuring three Slot WRs, no splits, and two RBs.  Seems to fit with McD's complimentary football MO.  

Funny, everyone just slammed Xavier Worthy who's similarly sized but faster.  

This place ... LOL 

Edited by PBF81
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Commish said:

Keon Coleman shouted him out specifically as someone he looked forward to playing with. Isn't it probably/likely that the Bills had Hamler more highly-rated than any of the "speed" receivers available in the later rounds of the draft?

I mean he did run a 4.27 40...dude is a burner and has made some plays in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

23 games, 42 recs, 620 yards, 3 tds.  The definition of a JAG.

Your stats have no context.  Almost all of those are from his rookie year 2020; 13 games, 20 recs, 381 yards, and the 3 TDs.  He last played in 2022, 7 games, 7 receptions, for 165 yds.  We'll never know what could've been for him due to those injuries, but the Bills are taking a flyer, and if it pays off, he can fill the McKenzie role, only Hamler is good.

Posted (edited)

Isabella and Hamler are similar in that they were smallish, fast, early day 2 draft prospects that failed on their original teams which have proven to have been rather poor situations.  There's a good chance that the Bills liked them in their draft years and are thus willing to give them a chance within their organizational walls and see what they might unlock.  There is such a thing as bad luck with injuries and poor environments where one's career begins.  Josh repeats his dad's "bloom where you are planted" mantra but there are some franchises that are asphalt parking lots surrounded by overfilled dumpsters. Little chance to make roots and bloom there. 

They are also decent candidates for one or two of the six veteran slots on the practice squad.  Remember the Bills 2022 season when they were running thin in their WR group heading into the playoffs and brought Beasley and Brown back late in the season?  I think Beane might be inclined to do more to prevent that from happening again.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Just now, Big Turk said:

I mean he did run a 4.27 40...dude is a burner and has made some plays in the NFL.

I didn't realize he was a RS Sophomore coming out so he's actually less than a year older than Shakir.  

After spending a little last offseason on a KR/PR/WR gadget guy, they looked to fill a similar depth role with a bargain player.  They instead spent on a non-returner WR who was a RB in college and is a better football player than Harty and Mckenzie before him.  

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, we do really need another slot WR. 🤔🙄

Maybe we can come up with a new formation featuring three Slot WRs, no splits, and two RBs.  Seems to fit with McD's complimentary football MO.  

Funny, everyone just slammed Xavier Worthy who's similarly sized but faster.  

This place ... LOL 

To be fair…if you run two TE and they both play on the ball (split or not), the rest of the skill players can line up wherever you want.

also, lots of teams line up “slot” receivers on the line against zone and/or off coverage..

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 2

I wanted multiple WRs in this draft more than anyone. And I wanted explosive WRs like Franklin and Tez Walker (both could’ve had round 3) BUT I do have optimism in KJ Hamler. He’s a guy I liked coming out of Penn state. I know he had the health issues that Denver parted ways with him on but he’s only 24 with electric speed who will finally have a legit QB throwing him the ball. I’m hoping he’s the vertical threat we need since there really isn’t anyone else available to fill that roll

4 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I wanted multiple WRs in this draft more than anyone. And I wanted explosive WRs like Franklin and Tez Walker (both could’ve had round 3) BUT I do have optimism in KJ Hamler. He’s a guy I liked coming out of Penn state. I know he had the health issues that Denver parted ways with him on but he’s only 24 with electric speed who will finally have a legit QB throwing him the ball. I’m hoping he’s the vertical threat we need since there really isn’t anyone else available to fill that roll

The Bills appear to be holding their breath that this is the case.

Hopefully they are bluffing and acquire DK Metcalf in June and we can stop this KJ Hamler/Andy Isabella nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1