The Vikings allegedly tried hard to trade up to #3

Virgil

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40052147/how-new-england-patriots-decided-qb-drake-maye-future-no-3-2024-nfl-draft

The Vikings apparently offered #11 and #23, plus their #1 in 2025.  

Now, I'm not sure if they did this before Maye fell to 3rd, or overall prior to the draft.  Without that, there's no way to know if Maye was the target

• Thank you (+1) 1

The moment the Vikings swapped their 42nd pick plus next years 2nd to get pick 23 you knew they were making moves for a possible trade up to pick 3. I think it was clear they were looking to package 11 and 23 to go up. Fortunately for them they were able to land a decent QB prospect without such a massive trade up.

NE clearly despite the good offer did not want to pass on Maye or whomever would be their pick at 3 had Maye gone 2nd. 

9 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Interesting. Always fun to speculate. And then fun to see how it actually plays out. Let’s watch Maye and McCarthy. They could have lucked into a better selection (assuming they wanted Maye). Who knows. Time will tell.

I see Mitch Trubisky and Sam Darnold. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

So did the Giants.

uSTADIUM on X: "The #Patriots were offered two trades for the #3 overall pick (@MikeReiss): #Giants offer: No. 6 overall and their 2025 first-rounder. #Vikings offer: No. 11, No. 23, and their 2025 first-rounder, in exchange for No.3 overall and 2 mid-round picks. Did New England make the… https://t.co/TWnXn5ULNe" / X (twitter.com)

In my opinion, Maye was the best QB to target in this draft and i don't like that he's in the AFCEast.........he's got some mechanics and footwork issues to work on, but he has the most upside IMO.

I don't blame NE for wanting to stand pat and get this guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 10

7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

In my opinion, Maye was the best QB to target in this draft and i don't like that he's in the AFCEast.........he's got some mechanics and footwork issues to work on, but he has the most upside IMO.

I don't blame NE for wanting to stand pat and get this guy.

Totally agree. To end up with the #3 pick when you have a desperate need of a franchise QB is great.  To have the #3 pick and have a really good prospect available is priceless.   From everything I've read about Maye, he has the most upside of the 2024 QBs as he's only 21 and was only a starter for 2 seasons.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, 90sBills said:

I see Mitch Trubisky and Sam Darnold. 

Yeah, most surprising to me is McCarthy. I like him. Seems like a good dude with tenacity. But nothing that I saw at Michigan screamed franchise QB to me other than his grit. I have a hard time seeing his ceiling as anything higher than “game manager with occasional flashes”. Maybe O’Connell can scheme up ways to help him over achieve. 

I have no take on Maye. Never really watched him.

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT

6 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Your honesty and transparency are to be admired.  

I thought it was a typo at first.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Interesting. Always fun to speculate. And then fun to see how it actually plays out. Let’s watch Maye and McCarthy. They could have lucked into a better selection (assuming they wanted Maye). Who knows. Time will tell.

Too bad they’re not both named Josh. That was fun for a bit! 

3 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Yeah, most surprising to me is McCarthy. I like him. Seems like a good dude with tenacity. But nothing that I saw at Michigan screamed franchise QB to me other than his grit. I have a hard time seeing his ceiling as anything higher than “game manager with occasional flashes”. Maybe O’Connell can scheme up ways to help him over achieve. 

Jets should have went hard for McCarthy.  He was there for them.  Instead they took a tackle to keep the Rogers dream alive.  But McCarthy is probably good enough right now to win behind that defense.  I watched him a lot at Michigan because I had a daughter there.  Jets would have been like Michigan all over - very strong defense, do enough on offense to not screw it up and maybe even make some plays.  Glad they took the tackle. 

21 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Jets should have went hard for McCarthy.  He was there for them.  Instead they took a tackle to keep the Rogers dream alive.  But McCarthy is probably good enough right now to win behind that defense.  I watched him a lot at Michigan because I had a daughter there.  Jets would have been like Michigan all over - very strong defense, do enough on offense to not screw it up and maybe even make some plays.  Glad they took the tackle. 

I think the Jets have bern banned from drafting a QB in the top half of the first round.

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I’m a big Ohio State fan so I had my eye on McCarthy all year. He has good character and athleticism.

Do you feel that he has the arm talent to make it in the NFL? Maybe he just didn’t get to throw it enough in that offense, but I just don’t see the evidence of an NFL caliber passer. Especially when compared with some of the other top guys. 

11 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

I’m a big Ohio State fan so I had my eye on McCarthy all year. He has good character and athleticism.

Do you feel that he has the arm talent to make it in the NFL? Maybe he just didn’t get to throw it enough in that offense, but I just don’t see the evidence of an NFL caliber passer. Especially when compared with some of the other top guys. 

What do I know really, but the reviews I have read say he has a very powerful arm.  That was on display in the games I watched.  The criticism I read is that he throws everything hard, and sometimes lacks the desired touch.

12 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Oh good we need more Ohio State fans around here...... 🤣

Posted (edited)

This isn’t shocking. McCarthy isn’t very good. He was the guy, this year, that everyone used as the smokescreen. He was the guy that people kept hearing “would go higher than expected” and “possibly top 3.” In the end he was the 5th QB drafted.

People believed that the Pats might take him at 3 and that the Vikings, Giants and even Chargers, might trade up for him. In the end the Vikings offered 3 firsts for Maye over just taking McCarthy. The Patriots turned down 3 firsts and just took Maye. The Chargers (wisely) stayed put, selected Alt, and kept Herbert. The Giants took the stud receiver. The Vikings waited and eventually got McCarthy. I wonder though if they would have actually taken Penix instead had he been there at 11? 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Agree 2