Bills pick up Groot's 5th year option

Virgil

Rousseau is not a 10+ sack guy. He may be once in his career, but he is still so raw as a DE. This will be his 6th season as a DE, at Miami he came in as a WR/S athlete. He's an elite run defender who will get better in a year or two once he's reached his potential. If we didn't rotate at DL so much he'd look a lot better stat wise. Rousseau is a guy that stays in Buffalo his whole career and puts up a Schobel type career. Ends up being your top DL long run.

On 4/29/2024 at 1:11 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

"Now here's a guy who leaves a one star review for the French fry truck, because the chef didn't use enough vinegar..."

image.jpeg.23707208ad2e3e155c804be48f5ac75b.jpeg
😉😁

I understand your point.  But, if fries are lacking vinegar and its not available on the side, I can understand a one star review.

I'd be happy with an 8 sack season-and he keeps up solid play of the run. I think after Oliver he had the most stops behind the LOS.  it does seem like he gets out to a quick start every year and then develops ankle problems. If Von Miller had stayed healthy, Groot would be getting more sacks just as collateral damage.

20 hours ago, wppete said:

Have a feeling this will be his break out season. 14 sack season! 

I thought that would be last year. Started so strong and then fell off. I think some injuries to the foot(?) contributed. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I have a feeling Soloman is going to send Groot to the bench

There’s plenty of rotational snaps for Groot even if Soloman shows out. That being said I don’t expect too much for Soloman as a rookie. I think he’s going to be penciled into the Shaq Lawson snaps right now and if he can provide a little more pass rush “pop” than Shaq I think that’s a solid rookie campaign.

In fact I do wonder if the Bills will not look to add a vet DE once Tre’s money hits. There’s some decent players still on the market at DE. Yannick and Ogbah are still free agents among some other options out on the market. I don’t know if the Bills are going to want to be “forced” into relying on a rookie in anything more than a rotational role.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 3:41 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Not even trying to be cute or sarcastic or call you out individually. Just giving some perspective on expectations.

I think we all agree we'd love every pick to be a superstar, especially our 1st rounders. And Beane needs to start hitting more homeruns than singles and doubles.

But being good and consistently picking in the 25-30 range is a much different life than picking in the 7-12 range like we were all used to for so many years.

The Edge guys from 2021:

#12 - Micah Parsons

#18 - Jaelan Phillips

#21 - Kwity Paye

#28 - Payton Turner

#30 - Greg Rousseau

#31 - Odafe Oweh

#32 - Joe Tryon-Shoyinka

Outside of Micah Parsons, I'd argue Groot is the best of that bunch. And even AJE could compete for a spot at the top of that group.

Groot is a solid starter that is still improving. Hopefully that keeps going. AND we wont have to pay him the contract Parsons is about to get.

Good analysis. 

I have a general question on team roster building strategy.  For the longest time, I defaulted to thinking that early round picks should be used for the highest cost positions (other than QB) which is edge rusher and  wide receiver.  Recently I have become less sure about that.  I am now thinking the early round picks should be used for interior offensive linemen, safeties and tight ends.   Here are the reasons:
1)longevity, those are positions which you might be able to get 10 years out of player

2) the second contract should affordable compared to the WR and Edge positions. If your drafted WR or edge becomes a star, the second contract is just as expensive as a second contract for any WR or Edge hitting free agency. 
3) If you do go edge or WR with the first pick, it should be for a player with instant impact, and you simply assume you can't afford the second contract.  Even if Groot is the second best on the list from that class, the gap to Parsons is a chasm. Even if Dallas loses Parsons in free agency, they got great value for the pick during the rookie contract.  Its not clear to me Groot on a second contract brings any value that you could not get from other free agents at his position. 

• Like (+1) 1

Picking up the 5th year option was a no brainer. I can’t remember who I was arguing with, but someone here said they’d gladly pay Rousseau $20M/yr to extend him. I was adamant that at that price you let him walk, unless he proves to be more of a QB disruptor. If he doesn’t show any better than he has thus far, my maximum yearly would be $15M/yr, a shade under Oliver. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 7:40 PM, BillsfaninSB said:

That pick also bothers me a lot.  Especially when Creed Humphrey was available.   Sometimes I think Beane only outsmarts himself. 

The Cody Ford over DK is right up there too. 

How many players did you want that we didn’t take, and now those guys suck? 

I’d bet a lot more than two. 

On 4/30/2024 at 8:50 PM, Chaos said:

Good analysis. 

I have a general question on team roster building strategy.  For the longest time, I defaulted to thinking that early round picks should be used for the highest cost positions (other than QB) which is edge rusher and  wide receiver.  Recently I have become less sure about that.  I am now thinking the early round picks should be used for interior offensive linemen, safeties and tight ends.   Here are the reasons:
1)longevity, those are positions which you might be able to get 10 years out of player

2) the second contract should affordable compared to the WR and Edge positions. If your drafted WR or edge becomes a star, the second contract is just as expensive as a second contract for any WR or Edge hitting free agency. 
3) If you do go edge or WR with the first pick, it should be for a player with instant impact, and you simply assume you can't afford the second contract.  Even if Groot is the second best on the list from that class, the gap to Parsons is a chasm. Even if Dallas loses Parsons in free agency, they got great value for the pick during the rookie contract.  Its not clear to me Groot on a second contract brings any value that you could not get from other free agents at his position. 

So where do you get your premium position difference makers if you don't draft them early?   

They don't hit free agency.   They get their option picked up and/or they then get franchise tagged.

If Josh Allen wanted to leave Buffalo he would have had to wait 7 years(option + 2 tags) or getting in a career-disrupting p!ssing match with the team most likely.   So extending him after year 3 was pretty easy.    Applies to stud pass rushers, LT's and WR's all the same.  

Excellent guards and safeties do hit free agency every year though.   In fact,  even an All Pro guards and centers sometimes hit free agency.  But always lot's of good one's do.   And 29 starting safeties were free agents this year.   

I think you've been paralyzed by over-analysis.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Not surprising. Hopefully he really comes into his own this year. Beane has thrown a ton of resources (draft annd FA’s) into the DL and I think it’s fair to say we’ve all expected more impact.  The 2021 draft class by Beane has been average thus far. The Basham pick still makes me scratch my head.

Round 1: No. 30 - Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami

Round 2: No. 61 - Carlos Basham Jr., DE, Wake Forest

Round 3: No. 93 - Spencer Brown, OT, Northern Iowa

Round 5: No. 161 (from LV) - Tommy Doyle, OT, Miami (OH)

Round 6: No. 203 (from WAS through LV, MIA, and HOU) - Marquez Stevenson, WR, Houston

Round 6: No. 212 (from NO through HOU) - Damar Hamlin, S, Pittsburgh

Round 6: No. 213 - Rachad Wildgoose, CB, Wisconsin

Round 7: No. 236 (from CAR) - Jack Anderson, OG, Texas Tech

On 5/1/2024 at 3:45 PM, Brand J said:

Picking up the 5th year option was a no brainer. I can’t remember who I was arguing with, but someone here said they’d gladly pay Rousseau $20M/yr to extend him. I was adamant that at that price you let him walk, unless he proves to be more of a QB disruptor. If he doesn’t show any better than he has thus far, my maximum yearly would be $15M/yr, a shade under Oliver. 

On 4/29/2024 at 8:03 PM, FireChans said:

Lots of folks saying “pay him,” but if your choice was Spencer Brown or Rousseau at $15M per season, I think I pick Brown.

Lol people here really acting like Coverage Sack Rousseau is anything other than a JAG run defender. No chance I’m paying him $20M to stuff the run and get 3-4 clean up sacks per year. You can find a cheap vet FA ala Shaq Lawson to do his job and won’t make a difference in the team’s record.

if my choice was to pay Rousseau or Spencer Brown $15M per season, I would choose to tell them both to kick rocks and find their replacements in the draft or free agency. Not paying JAGs to big extensions, only difference makers

13 minutes ago, Saint Douggie said:

Lol people here really acting like Coverage Sack Rousseau is anything other than a JAG run defender. No chance I’m paying him $20M to stuff the run and get 3-4 clean up sacks per year. You can find a cheap vet FA ala Shaq Lawson to do his job and won’t make a difference in the team’s record.

if my choice was to pay Rousseau or Spencer Brown $15M per season, I would choose to tell them both to kick rocks and find their replacements in the draft or free agency. Not paying JAGs to big extensions, only difference makers

I’m paying Brown 15M per right now, if he just duplicates last season, and there’s no reason he doesn’t take another jump, then he’s getting well north of 15M

a young gigantic athletic RT who continues to improve, he’s turning into exactly what you hoped for when drafting him.

1 minute ago, julian said:

I’m paying Brown 15M per right now, if he just duplicates last season, and there’s no reason he doesn’t take another jump, then he’s getting well north of 15M

a young gigantic athletic RT who continues to improve, he’s turning into exactly what you hoped for when drafting him.

Fine, provided he plays at the same level as last year or above. Coverage Sack Rousseau is not getting a second contract here unless he makes a meteoric jump this year 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Saint Douggie said:

Fine, provided he plays at the same level as last year or above. Coverage Sack Rousseau is not getting a second contract here unless he makes a meteoric jump this year 

I agree about Rousseau, I think Brown is a better RT than Rousseau is a DE.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 8:03 PM, FireChans said:

Lots of folks saying “pay him,” but if your choice was Spencer Brown or Rousseau at $15M per season, I think I pick Brown.

I’d pick neither at this point and use that money elsewhere. We’ll see after this season