Beane on WR "We worked out a guy today we are going to end up signing"

OK, so which veterans are still out there?  Obviously it doesn't need to be any of these people and it could be a random but this is who seems to be there that most of us would have heard of. Courtesy SpoTrac

Hunter Renfrow

Allen Robinson

OBJ

Michael Gallup

Tyler Boyd

Michael Thomas

MVS

Russell Gage

DJ Chark

Jamal Agnew

Mecole Hardman

Jakeem Grant

Chase Claypool

Deandre Carter

Sterling Shephard

Richie James

Jalen Guyton

There are a couple other guys that honestly I haven't heard of.

The only one with history with Brady is Michael Thomas but Michael Thomas hasn't been himself since 2019 so I'm not sure how much that matters.  He's probably cooked at this point even though he's only 31.  He caught 149 passes in 2019 then wrecked his ankle and never really came back from it.  He's also been a bit of a headache so IDK if that's what they are looking for in a team with a leadership transition happening.

Allen Robinson is probably done as well.  It'd be easy to attribute last season to the Steelers QBs, but he struggled the year before with the Rams also who clearly had buyer's remorse after signing him as a FA. He had foot surgery, went on IR, and the Rams gave him away for essentially nothing to Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh just released him after bringing in QB help so they clearly weren't impressed either.  He hasn't had a good season since 2020 with the Bears. 

OBJ gets brought up around here all the time.  He hasn't played a full season since 2019 and has averaged 25 catches a year for 4 years straight. He's also been a headache. He did have a solid playoffs for the Rams in 2021...right before he tore his ACL again.  Last season for Baltimore he had 4 catches for 35 yards in 2 playoff games.  It's entirely possible that he's done.

I'm not going through all of them, but I don't think it's any of these last 3.

42 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yes, Boyd would make the receiver room look a lot better.  He was a starting outside WR before they drafted Higgins.

It'd be a nice karma signing as well. He was the guy who really broke the drought, not Dalton.

17 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

OK, so which veterans are still out there?  Obviously it doesn't need to be any of these people and it could be a random but this is who seems to be there that most of us would have heard of. Courtesy SpoTrac

Hunter Renfrow

Allen Robinson

OBJ

Michael Gallup

Tyler Boyd

Michael Thomas

MVS

Russell Gage

DJ Chark

Jamal Agnew

Mecole Hardman

Jakeem Grant

Chase Claypool

Deandre Carter

Sterling Shephard

Richie James

Jalen Guyton

There are a couple other guys that honestly I haven't heard of.

The only one with history with Brady is Michael Thomas but Michael Thomas hasn't been himself since 2019 so I'm not sure how much that matters.  He's probably cooked at this point even though he's only 31.  He caught 149 passes in 2019 then wrecked his ankle and never really came back from it.  He's also been a bit of a headache so IDK if that's what they are looking for in a team with a leadership transition happening.

Allen Robinson is probably done as well.  It'd be easy to attribute last season to the Steelers QBs, but he struggled the year before with the Rams also who clearly had buyer's remorse after signing him as a FA. He had foot surgery, went on IR, and the Rams gave him away for essentially nothing to Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh just released him after bringing in QB help so they clearly weren't impressed either.  He hasn't had a good season since 2020 with the Bears. 

OBJ gets brought up around here all the time.  He hasn't played a full season since 2019 and has averaged 25 catches a year for 4 years straight. He's also been a headache. He did have a solid playoffs for the Rams in 2021...right before he tore his ACL again.  Last season for Baltimore he had 4 catches for 35 yards in 2 playoff games.  It's entirely possible that he's done.

I'm not going through all of them, but I don't think it's any of these last 3.

It'd be a nice karma signing as well. He was the guy who really broke the drought, not Dalton.

Yeah, he’d get standing ovations at the first open practice, preseason game, etc.

To me, they believe Coleman is their X, Samuel is the Z or the other receiver and Shakir is the slot. Beane has talked in the past about the “4” that they look for and that was Harty last year. A guy who can play inside and outside, kind of knows all the positions and if he comes with return ability, even better. That is still missing from the roster, though KJ Hamler could fill that role.

Mecole Hardman makes the most sense with the speed and return ability. I am guessing he is a bit too expensive. This would also be pretty high profile so I feel like someone would have reported it. But I like that fit. 

Jamal Agnew is probably in the same category, same type of player with a ton of return ability as well. He’s got all

pro return ability. Kind of a poor man’s Hardman. Similar size and speed, Agnew is a bit older. If I were a betting man, I would say Agnew was here today. With the new rules for kickoff this would be a dynamite add.

I am a Jalen Guyton guy. Good size and speed combination. He tore the ACL a couple of years ago so should be fully healthy at this point.

Small guy who is stupid fast and fills that “4” role that Harty was in and would be cheap is Scotty Miller. 4.28 with some big play ability when he was with Tampa.

MVS makes some level of sense. He, like Chark are big and fast so they fit. but both are probably out of the price range. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Just based off production, give me Tyler Boyd: 1000+ yards in 2018 & 2019, 800+ yards in 2020 & 2021, 762 in 2022, and 667 in 2023. Seems a solid floor to me even if he is not the typical burner that would really balance out our WR room.

Tyler Boyd is a Pure Slot.

We don't need a Slot. We've got Khalil Shakir, Curtis Samuel (with some Outside Flexibility, but always a much higher percentage Inside), and Dalton Kincaid (a Big Slot that only sometimes lines up with his hand on the line).

We need another Boundary guy. The only true Outside guys we have there are Keon Coleman, Mack Hollins, and Justin Shorter. Shorter is a complete unknown and Hollins is more of a Blocker/Special Teams guy.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

Mecole Hardman would be decent. He certainly has the speed.

I've always liked Tyler Boyd, but he is the same type of receiver Shakir is. However, you could move them around and they could both line up outside and inside. That might be interesting.

5 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Just based off production, give me Tyler Boyd: 1000+ yards in 2018 & 2019, 800+ yards in 2020 & 2021, 762 in 2022, and 667 in 2023. Seems a solid floor to me even if he is not the typical burner that would really balance out our WR room.

He is another guy best in the slot though. We need a guy who is at his best outside.

Marquise Goodwin because so many here need the speed.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Tyler Boyd is a Pure Slot.

We don't need a Slot. We've got Khalil Shakir, Curtis Samuel (with some Outside Flexibility, but always a much higher percentage Inside), and Dalton Kincaid (a Big Slot that only sometimes lines up with his hand on the line).

We need another Boundary guy. The only true Outside guys we have there are Keon Coleman, Mack Hollins, and Justin Shorter. Shorter is a complete unknown and Hollins is a Special Teams guy.

Hollins is not only an STs guy. He'll be playing WR on a bunch of snaps unless something goes wrong in some way.

He does play STs, but he has 1086 STs snaps to 2699 on offense.

Edited by Thurman#1

Chark makes the most sense to me.  If you were a decent WR trying to revive career for a nice payday, of course you would love to play with Josh.  That is a huge carrot to dangle in front of every WR.  Chark also plays special teams, which our coaches love

32 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Marquise Goodwin because so many here need the speed.

Hollins is not only an STs guy. He'll be playing WR on a bunch of snaps unless something goes wrong in some way.

He does play STs, but he has 1086 STs snaps to 2699 on offense.

I view him as playing more Special Teams here. He'll get relief snaps off the bench and be depth in case of injury. But I view him in more of the Kumerow role for us. He'll probably get a little more snaps than Kumerow, but I don't want to be relying on Mack Hollins for much of a role on Offense - unless we have to.

Chase Claypool is an interesting name. Still super young. Had a good start to his career. Then got buried on depth chart in Chicago and Pittsburgh and hasn't had much of an opportunity since. I wonder if Josh Allen could revive the start of his career

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

During his end of draft press conference Beane mentioned they worked out a WR today they will end up signing.  Regardless of them drafting a wideout to play the boundary I've fully expected the Bills to bring in another boundary WR post draft.  So who is it?  Given the Brady connections I've expected OBJ or Michael Thomas.   Any other thoughts on who it may be?

I don't know that it's a bigger name. Maybe Thomas would be an exception to see what kind of shape he's in following ending the year on Injured Reserve and being injury plagued throughout the years.

But when it comes to bigger name, healthy WR's who played last year and weren't injured like an Odell Beckham Jr., DJ Chark, Michael Gallup, or someone like that - you don't usually "work them out" or do a physical try out. "Working someone out" sounds like a smaller named, lower tier, compete for a roster spot type guy to me.

I also wouldn't expect we'd be signing anyone with name value until 6/1. Reason being two fold: 1.) We only have about 3.5m right now and have to sign our Draft Picks (which won't be much but will still cut into that) and 2.) Signing one of the bigger names right now instead of a little over a month from now would likely be at a number that would cancel out one of our two projected Comp picks next season. 

I'm going with Russell Gage.  There's a LSU connection with Brady.  He's been effective.  Special teams beast.  Locker room hero.  And has the speed and skillset to play outside (although most of his career has been in the slot). But he feels like a Bills kind of guy.

21 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Chase Claypool is an interesting name. Still super young. Had a good start to his career. Then got buried on depth chart in Chicago and Pittsburgh and hasn't had much of an opportunity since. I wonder if Josh Allen could revive the start of his career

Claypool I could see having to be "worked out". His career is kind of nowhere and he really is in the "need to prove myself again" stage. Like I said, I just don't see a bigger named, healthier WR feeling like they need to do essentially a tryout or that we'd feel they'd need to workout for us.

28 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I view him as playing more Special Teams here. He'll get relief snaps off the bench and be depth in case of injury. But I view him in more of the Kumerow role for us. He'll probably get a little more snaps than Kumerow, but I don't want to be relying on Mack Hollins for much of a role on Offense - unless we have to.

Doesn't make sense.

They're paying Hollins $2.6M for one year. They paid Kumerow $1.1M. 

The reason for the difference there is that they expected very little offense from Kumerow, and more from Hollins. He generally gets around 30% of the team's offensive snaps or more, if you look at his history.

12 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Doesn't make sense.

They're paying Hollins $2.6M for one year. They paid Kumerow $1.1M. 

The reason for the difference there is that they expected very little offense from Kumerow, and more from Hollins. He generally gets around 30% of the team's offensive snaps or more, if you look at his history.

And outside of 2022 in Las Vegas, in his 5 other years in the league - he averages 15 catches and 202 yards a year.

He's more of a blocker (which is important) and Special Teams player (which was the focus of discussion in his Presser when we signed him) than a key contributor on Offense. If we're relying on Mack Hollins for a big role as a producer on Offense - that's an issue to me.

8 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

During his end of draft press conference Beane mentioned they worked out a WR today they will end up signing.  Regardless of them drafting a wideout to play the boundary I've fully expected the Bills to bring in another boundary WR post draft.  So who is it?  Given the Brady connections I've expected OBJ or Michael Thomas.   Any other thoughts on who it may be?

The draft was strong at Wr and although I think this was a rock solid draft this shouldn't be the answer bringing a vet off the streets. Beane dropped the ball not double dipping in this draft at Wr i don't care if we have Hamler or Isabella or whatever else he mentioned in his press conference. Malik Washington was a flat out steal in the late 5th and we didn't take advantage of that Miami got themselves a player there. 

I was truly hoping the Bills would take the Packers approach to building there Wr core. Going multiple Wrs in a strong draft was definitely the way to go. 

• Agree 2

Lol, this is the saddest thread on here in a while. There are people on here that think this WR room is good. We are now suggesting ways to make it even better!! People are talking about adding (in no particular order): Chase Claypool, Kenny Golladay, washed Michael Thomas, washed OBJ, and washed Allen Robinson.

What are we doing here? The Bills needed to upgrade the WR room. They needed 2 boundary receivers at the top of the depth chart. They added one guy that was the most polarizing WR prospect, in arguably the greatest WR draft ever. That’s a massive failure. You aren’t going to dig yourself out by adding Kenny Golladay. As it stands the Bills have the worst WR group in the NFL. The TEs are good and the backs can catch but the WRs are last IMO.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1