Did we do enough at wide receiver?

4 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

With all the offseason moves, and adding just Coleman in the draft, did we do enough or will Beane look to trade or add a free agent after Trey’s money frees up?  

I for one can’t believe we are finished, how about you?

That's my biggest worry with the whole draft experience.  Maybe the Bills will continue to explore improving their WR room, but I suspect they'll find the pickings pretty slim or the cost pretty high.

27 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

If last season wasn't good enough regarding the WRs on hand, how on earth are the same people that thought that going to reconcile that this season is.  

Welcome to TBD

• Like (+1) 1

This is about as good a WR corps as the one that won the SB last year.

We need to scheme better.  Reid schemes guys open.  Brady was still running a lot of Dorsey's O last year, it seemed - hopefully we see better in September.

Absent a preseason mega move they have absolutely not done enough and it borders on gross negligence.  Coming into this offseason they had a weak WR room.  They let Davis walk (fine), decided to pay Diggs to play elsewhere (not ideal) and came into the historically deep at WR draft with a boatload of draft assets and a glaring need at the position.

They drafted one.

Maybe all of their receivers improve and Coleman becomes a stud right out of the gate.

Anything less than that and serious questions arise about what, the flying fudge, they were doing in this critical offseason.

Not that it really matters: Beane, like Kevyn Adams, behaves like no one is really holding him accountable.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Gunsgoodtime said:

Only on TBD you will see the narrative of Shakir being better than Diggs 🤣🤣🤣

Shakir was NOT being double covered. 
I’m totally rooting for Shakir to be the WR that Beane says he’ll be…. BUT I also loved Peerless Price.. and then you realize how much Eric Moulds had an impact on Price’s stats. When Price became a WR1, he fell off pretty quickly. 

6 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

OK, you be the judge. Here are the stats from last season.  Which of the 3 players listed was the most effective receiver?

Here are the stats after week 6 when we opened up the offense and started using Kincaid and Shakir more.  (Stats include the playoffs)

Diggs - 111 tgts, 68 rec, 636 yards, 3 TDS, Catch % 61.26, yards/att  5.73

Kincaid - 83 tgts, 64 rec, 659 yards, 3 TDS, Catch % 77.11%, yards/att 7.94

Shakir - 52 tgts, 45 rec, 646 yards, 3 TDS, Catch % 86.54%, yards/att 12.42

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFan said:

OK, you be the judge. Here are the stats from last season.  Which of the 3 players listed was the most effective receiver?

Here are the stats after week 6 when we opened up the offense and started using Kincaid and Shakir more.  (Stats include the playoffs)

I'm not arguing with a Homer bro.  Step outside and ask anyone, anyone alive if Shakir is better than Diggs

• Thank you (+1) 1

Mahomes just won a SB with Tomato cans at WR. We are paying Josh Allen a lot of money to be a difference maker and elevate the guys around him. I like what we have honestly.

If Curtis Samuel stays healthy I think he can replace what he had in Diggs minus the drama. This will be the best QB Samuel  he has ever played with. Shakir is only going to get better and Kincaid is an emerging star. I expect those 3 guys to get the boatload of the targets. Mix in James Cook and Coleman/Knox when we are in the redzone. 

18 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Absent a preseason mega move they have absolutely not done enough and it borders on gross negligence.  Coming into this offseason they had a weak WR room.  They let Davis walk (fine), decided to pay Diggs to play elsewhere (not ideal) and came into the historically deep at WR draft with a boatload of draft assets and a glaring need at the position.

They drafted one.

Maybe all of their receivers improve and Coleman becomes a stud right out of the gate.

Anything less than that and serious questions arise about what, the flying fudge, they were doing in this critical offseason.

Not that it really matters: Beane, like Kevyn Adams, behaves like no one is really holding him accountable.

I think you’re underestimating the addition of Curtis Samuel he’s a very good player and could easily replace what we had in Diggs. He’s never played with a QB as good as Allen. He will benefit from it. 

6 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I'm not arguing with a Homer bro.  Step outside and ask anyone, anyone alive if Shakir is better than Diggs

Dude the stats are the stats.  After week 6 Kincaid and Shakir were both more effective last season than Diggs.  How do you define better?  Diggs is certainly the player with the better history, but past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I'll ask another question.  Which of these 3 players has the most upside next season?  Remember the goal here is to put the best team on the field going forward.  Just because Diggs has had 5 straight 1000 yards seasons (an amazing accomplishment by the way), it doesn't mean that he is that player any longer.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Why isn’t this a poll?

no not even close 

22 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

The homer fans are ridiculous. Everyone so quick to love everything they did and refuse to believe we are worse at the position this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

This is about as good a WR corps as the one that won the SB last year.

We need to scheme better.  Reid schemes guys open.  Brady was still running a lot of Dorsey's O last year, it seemed - hopefully we see better in September.

Yes, we do.  

Maybe Brady doesn't have the skills yet to be that good.  Food for thought.  

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I’m thinking that they add a veteran sometime now or before the start of the season.

Yeah.

IMO it will be a mid-level guy, though, not from the five or six guy group that everyone keeps mentioning.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Dude the stats are the stats.  After week 6 Kincaid and Shakir were both more effective last season than Diggs.  How do you define better?  Diggs is certainly the player with the better history, but past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I'll ask another question.  Which of these 3 players has the most upside next season?  Remember the goal here is to put the best team on the field going forward.  Just because Diggs has had 5 straight 1000 yards seasons (an amazing accomplishment by the way), it doesn't mean that he is that player any longer.

The stats are indeed the stats. But they don't show what you appear to think they do. They don't show Shakir and Kincaid were more effective. They show they were more productive. 

What the stats show is that over the course of their careers Diggs has been vastly more productive than Shakir and even last year, much more productive. 

The stats are the stats. But there is reasonable interpretation of stats and unreasonable. Arguing that the stats show that Shakir is better than Diggs because after the OC changed Diggs became much less productive doesn't make a ton of sense.

As much as I love the Bills, Diggs has the most upside. He received much more coverage even later in the season and he was still open quite a bit. My guess is he goes for 1100 or so next year.

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

This doesn't tell you the most effective WR.

It tells you the most productive WR in those particular weeks, with the particular plays being called, without accounting for double coverage, for who was being used more to draw the defense, for what routes were being given to each guy, etc.

Allen missed Diggs about five times when he was seriously open deep on go routes. The others not so much. 

Stats mean something. Not everything. Certainly not in this case.

8 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Its really that bad, check out some opinions outside of TBD

This group is likely to be about what KC had last year while winning the Super Bowl. Yes, they had Kelce, but he only had about 300 yards more than Kincaid last year. He wasn't the old Travis Kelce.

Yes, they had Patrick Mahomes. We have Josh Allen.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This doesn't tell you the most effective WR.

It tells you the most productive WR in those particular weeks, with the particular plays being called, without accounting for double coverage, for who was being used more to draw the defense, for what routes were being given to each guy, etc.

Allen missed Diggs about five times when he was seriously open deep on go routes. The others not so much. 

Stats mean something. Not everything. Certainly not in this case.

This group is likely to be about what KC had last year while winning the Super Bowl. Yes, they had Kelce, but he only had about 300 yards more than Kincaid last year. He wasn't the old Travis Kelce.

Yes, they had Patrick Mahomes. We have Josh Allen.

Imo Josh Allen vs Patrick Mahomes is not the problem.  It's the coaches and gm