This may be Beans best draft ever. I loved every pick

It was obvious we needed juice from youth.  We got that this year - most, if not all, of these picks will make the team and contribute.  We had a great draft last year.  Kincaid and Torrence are already there.  Dorian Williams, I believe, will be something special.  Shakir is emerging.  Cook and Terrell Bernard (how many times did I read "I can't believe we wasted a third on him"), are young stars.   I am not sure Curtis Samuel is one ounce less than the Diggs we saw in the second half last year.  If Samuel can match what Diggs did in the second half, I can't imagine Keon Coleman can be less than Gabe Davis was last year.  The receiving corps stands to be better than last year - even if we make no more WR moves (and we will).  

Likewise, I don't think Cole Bishop can be less than last year's Jordan Poyer.  Morse always lacked the sand to keep from getting pushed back into Josh.  And with Diggs off his back, Josh and our new PCs can now comfortably assert themselves and distribute the ball as they see fit. Though it is of course not assured, we stand to be better than last year.  I think the team did one helluva job fixing the cap and getting younger.  We reloaded and are reloading - and we may well have down so with zero on-field fall off.  Well done.

Even if this does end up being a solid draft answer this question, DID WE INVEST IN HELPING THE MOST IMPORTANT AND ONLY PART OF ROSTER THAT WILL WIN US A SUPER BOWL? The answer is no.

While other teams with young franchise QB drafted multiple WRs in what was known throughout the league to be the best and deepest WR class in years, the bills took ONE. We have 11 picks and we took ONE. We traded back multiple times and even out of the draft completely because our FO and Coach think were “fine” at WR. We have one of the 2 best QBs in the entire league and lost our #1 and #2 WR this offseason and we took ONE WR. 

- Chargers HC, Jim Harbaugh, known for building through the lines before taking “luxury” picks like WR even took 3 WRs for his new franchise QB.

- The NE Patriots, who are known to be historically awful at helping out their QB, gave their new franchise QB 2 new WRs in the first 4 rounds.

- The Cincinnati Bengals have 2 top 15 WRs in the league and already have multiple solid #3 WRs from the last couple drafts on their roster, they took a high upside WR for Burrow in the 3rd round

- Our rival Miami dolphins already flush with speed added 2 more vertical threats in the Washington boys in the 6th and 7th round. 

Even if Beane and company were content with our WR room it’s not ok. Being content is a failure when you have Josh Allen as your QB. We should not be trying to prove he can do it on his own with limited options. Who’s our deep threat? Shakir and Samuel are going over the middle, coleman has great hands outside, Kincaid will eat and be the safety net but who is keeping the defense honest deep and why don’t we have multiple guys that can take the top off like KC (worthy and Hollywood) and Miami when we have the guy with the strongest arm in the league behind center? We should be overflowing his cupboard with riches and riches of WR talent so we can win a damn Super Bowl. 

Finally, will a lot of these drafted players work out, yes. But now I’ll ask a different version of my initial question. GAME ON THE LINE, AFC CHAMPIONSHIP, NO MAJOR INJURIES, DID WE GIVE JOSH ALLEN EVERYTHING HE NEEDS TO BEAT THE CHIEFS? 

Edited by NeverOutNick
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The problem people have is there was no 2nd WR early. The fans on this board wanted to drive the brand new Ferrari off the lot even if it might be defective  but instead got the Honda CRV that isn’t exciting but will get the job done a lot longer 

They do this without mentioning we didn’t have the money for Ferraris. AND we did make investments to possibly acquire a Ferrari next year. 

some people want to put everything on the credit card and pretend it’s free. Life is about delaying gratification. 

12 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Even if this does end up being a solid draft answer this question, DID WE INVEST IN HELPING THE MOST IMPORTANT AND ONLY PART OF ROSTER THAT WILL WIN US A SUPER BOWL? The answer is no.

While other teams with young franchise QB drafted multiple WRs in what was known throughout the league to be the best and deepest WR class in years, the bills took ONE. We have 11 picks and we took ONE. We traded back multiple times and even out of the draft completely because our FO and Coach think were “fine” at WR. We have one of the 2 best QBs in the entire league and lost our #1 and #2 WR this offseason and we took ONE WR. 

- Chargers HC, Jim Harbaugh, known for building through the lines before taking “luxury” picks like WR even took 3 WRs for his new franchise QB.

- The NE Patriots, who are known to be historically awful at helping out their QB, gave their new franchise QB 2 new WRs in the first 4 rounds.

- The Cincinnati Bengals have 2 top 15 WRs in the league and already have multiple solid #3 WRs from the last couple drafts on their roster, they took a high upside WR for Burrow in the 3rd round

- Our rival Miami dolphins already flush with speed added 2 more vertical threats in the Washington boys in the 6th and 7th round. 

Even if Beane and company were content with our WR room it’s not ok. Being content is a failure when you have Josh Allen as your QB. We should not be trying to prove he can do it on his own with limited options. Who’s our deep threat? Shakir and Samuel are going over the middle, coleman has great hands outside, Kincaid will eat and be the safety net but who is keeping the defense honest deep and why don’t we have multiple guys that can take the top off like KC (worthy and Hollywood) and Miami when we have the guy with the strongest arm in the league behind center? We should be overflowing his cupboard with riches and riches of WR talent so we can win a damn Super Bowl. 

Finally, will a lot of these drafted players work out, yes. But now I’ll ask a different version of my initial question. GAME ON THE LINE, AFC CHAMPIONSHIP, NO MAJOR INJURIES, DID WE GIVE JOSH ALLEN EVERYTHING HE NEEDS TO BEAT THE CHIEFS? 

Your argument is sound and I understand it. I think with all of the Wrs entering the league some good, possibly better than good wrs are going to be hitting the waiver wire in the near future. 

I think some of the issues this administration has with drafting wrs is finding ones that are process guys. The position itself is susceptible to, let’s just say, personalities. 

We lost to the Chiefs because we could not stop them, not due to lack of wideouts.  I sat at midfield - the yawning green spaces between our D-Line and safeties were effortlessly exploited by Mahomes.  If Bernard and Milano played we win that game going away.  I think we could have won if the coaches had just trusted Dorian Williams instead of washed AJ Klein or broken Tyrell Dodson.  I would have liked more corner and edge in this draft maybe, and I would have really liked someone like Thrash or Baker later, but I am a lot less worried about WR than our D.  We will miss a near-washed Diggs and zero-catch Gabe a lot less than people think.  I love Gabe as a Dude, but he was only ever good because of Josh.  But WR and D should be better, regardless.  We are getting better while getting younger and cheaper. 

In a typical draft class I am hoping for two potential starters and a few guys who contribute enough to earn a second contract.   Anything more than that elevates the class to elite status.  Anything less, the class disappoints.

Take the last few Bills classes for example.  

2023 (6 picks) - 2 immediate starters - Kincaid and Torrence.  A contributor in Williams and maybe one in Shorter.  

2022 (8 picks) - 4 starters - Cook, Bernard and late rd steals Shakir & Benford.  2 potential contributors in Elam and Spector

2021 (8 picks) - 2 starters - Rousseau and Brown.  Basham played but was a bust.  Hamlin was a contributor before his injury and Doyle is a still hanging around.

2020 (7 Picks) - 3 starters - Epenesa, Davis & Bass.  2 contributors in Moss and Dane Jackson. Hodgins is still also in the league

2022 is already a legendary class with 4 starters and if Elam finally develops he could be a 5th. 

For the 2024 class (10 picks) I see the following:

3 potential starters - Coleman, Bishop and Van Pran

2 early contributors - Davis and Carter

3 special teamers - Ulofoshio, Solomon and Hardy

2 projects - Grable and Clayton

Odds are that after the top 5 players on this list, any production we get from the bottom 5 potentially turns a solid class into a good or even great one.  For example, Solomon could become an elite situational pass rusher or one of Grable or Clayon develop into a Teller or Peters and become a long-term starter for the Bills.

Edited by GASabresIUFan

2 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I get scared whenever we pick a defensive tackle in the 1st 3 rounds. Marcell Dareus, Torell Troup, John McCargo. All huge busts 

Um, definitely remove Dareus from that list... dude deservingly got bank on a second contract and then coasted...he was gearing up to be a generational talent.

It's funny, people specifically calling Dareus a bust, while complaining about this Bills leadership drafting players who "love ball" even if there are other players who maybe measure better (not saying you are that person)

1 hour ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

We lost to the Chiefs because we could not stop them, not due to lack of wideouts.  I sat at midfield - the yawning green spaces between our D-Line and safeties were effortlessly exploited by Mahomes.  If Bernard and Milano played we win that game going away.  I think we could have won if the coaches had just trusted Dorian Williams instead of washed AJ Klein or broken Tyrell Dodson.  I would have liked more corner and edge in this draft maybe, and I would have really liked someone like Thrash or Baker later, but I am a lot less worried about WR than our D.  We will miss a near-washed Diggs and zero-catch Gabe a lot less than people think.  I love Gabe as a Dude, but he was only ever good because of Josh.  But WR and D should be better, regardless.  We are getting better while getting younger and cheaper. 

Bills lost to the Chiefs because of two things.  If one of them doesn’t occur, we win. 

1). A decimated defense.  No linebackers and Rasul Douglas was playing at 30%. 

2). WR play.  Diggs was an absolute joke and without Davis, Sherfield completely **** the bed in his opportunity to play his role.  

If we had a healthy defense OR better wide receiver play we win that game. 

I do think our Defense could legitimately be better than last years (when healthy).  We’re a healthy Von or mercenary DE signing away from a top tier defense. 

Offense.. not sure.  Good OL, RB’s and TE’s.  WR’s are definitely wait and see. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Last year's SB champs had a worse WR room.

Tom Brady had a worse room for 6 titles.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Walking away with 7 of Jeremiah’s top 117 players when we started with 2 top 100 picks just might be Beane’s best work as a GM short of landing Josh.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/best-prospects-available-in-the-2024-nfl-draft

DJ is year in/year out one of the best.  

This is wild.   Really reflects our team building tbh (both good and bad).. None of the projected elite guys but absolutely crushing it with the above average/very good players. 

A microcosm of our rosters around Josh Allen. 

17 hours ago, oldschoolfootball1963 said:

Bean smashed it, this one will go down as one of the Bills all time draft classes. 

Be careful, posting positive reviews of 
management decisions gets uniformly rejected by the elite talent evaluators on this board. Drafting at 28 with no 3rd round pick should at least net you 6 starters and at least a probowl receiver. Full agreement on 3 picks (Coleman, Bishop and the center, the DT and Cornerback should be ST and possible rotational depth if they make the cut and the RB could possibly be a compliment to Cook and Johnson. All in all, Beane did well with what he had to work with. Also got some draft capital for 25.

We went into the best WR draft in years with WR being our biggest need. We came out of that draft with WR still being our biggest need and the dude we did draft was the most polarizing WR prospect. The MAIN priority of this entire organization should be building the best set of skill players in the league for Josh Allen. They stubbornly refuse to do that.. and it's going to cost them their jobs and Josh Allen's prime years. 

Edited by KentuckyBillsFan

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

The problem people have is there was no 2nd WR early. The fans on this board wanted to drive the brand new Ferrari off the lot even if it might be defective  but instead got the Honda CRV that isn’t exciting but will get the job done a lot longer 

Honda CRV are like fat chicks they’re fun to ride until your friends see you 

5 hours ago, Pete said:

added a 4th next year, and we already added a 2nd for Diggs. 

Next season the Bills have picks 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7 and we have cap room!  Nice job Big Baller Beane!

Big deal....If you're drafting at the end of the rounds and do nothing but trade back, big f..in deal.

• Disagree 1

36 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Be careful, posting positive reviews of 
management decisions gets uniformly rejected by the elite talent evaluators on this board. Drafting at 28 with no 3rd round pick should at least net you 6 starters and at least a probowl receiver. Full agreement on 3 picks (Coleman, Bishop and the center, the DT and Cornerback should be ST and possible rotational depth if they make the cut and the RB could possibly be a compliment to Cook and Johnson. All in all, Beane did well with what he had to work with. Also got some draft capital for 25.

This was probably Beane’s most disciplined draft even though it sounds like he was trying to move up for Bishop.  The roster needed to get younger and cheaper.  He really did a nice job there to the point where despite what he’s saying I could see Beane going after an Aiyuk type WR post June 1.  

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This was probably Beane’s most disciplined draft even though it sounds like he was trying to move up for Bishop.  The roster needed to get younger and cheaper.  He really did a nice job there to the point where despite what he’s saying I could see Beane going after an Aiyuk type WR post June 1.  St.

Good post.alary

I do believe the Bills will sign I r trade for our wr 1 after White's salary hit goes away. 

18 hours ago, oldschoolfootball1963 said:

Bean smashed it, this one will go down as one of the Bills all time draft classes. 

I had to look to see which year this post was from.  

:D

6 hours ago, Pete said:

added a 4th next year, and we already added a 2nd for Diggs. 

Next season the Bills have picks 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7 and we have cap room!  Nice job Big Baller Beane!

The extra second and extra fourth along with Tre money and a Josh restructure could net a real WR1!!!!

A stud WR, a vet RB, and a vet safety (Hyde/Simmons) would end all this ridiculous talk of a rebuild and we would be talking Superbowl once again.

• Like (+1) 1