First look at Bills 2024 roster

9 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The only question mark would be Von giving us what Floyd did. 

Zero percent chance of that happening unless you're talking about the part where Floyd had 1 sack across his last 8 combined games. Miller might get to 1 this year.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Our draft is over, so here is my first look at 2024 roster. I included 9 rookies, I guess all of them have a good chance. I know a lot will change; this is just a projection for fun/discussion.

51 players already on the roster. I am pretty sure we add veteran WR through FA or trade, and I also think we will sign some cheap vet CB. I listed some other relevant players who did not make it.

What do you guys think? Rookies are in green.

Offense (25)

QB: Allen, Trubisky (2)

OT: Dawkins, Brown, Van Demark, Collins, Grable (5)

IOL: McGovern, Torrence, Edwards, Van Pran, Anderson (5)

WR: Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, FA/trade, Hollins, Shorter (6)

TE: Kincaid, Knox, Morris, Gilliam (4)

RB: Cook, Davis, Johnson (3)

Not included – Doyle, Clapp, Clayton, Hamler, Isabella

Defense (25)

DE: Miller, Rousseau, Epenesa, Solomon, Jonathan (5)

DT: Oliver, Jones, Carter, Johnson (4)

LB: Milano, Bernard, Williams, Ulofoshio, Spector, Morrow (6)

CB: Douglas, Benford, Elam, Johnson, Hardy, FA (6)

S: Bishop, Edwards, Rapp, Lewis (4)

Not included – Toohill, Williams, Ankou, Hamlin, Ingram

ST: Bass, Martin, Ferguson (3)

A few things I disagree with here:

- I don't see us keeping 5 OT's. The number is always 4. Either Grable beats out Collins or he'll be released and we'll try to get him back on the Practice Squad. As a Late-6th Round Pick and our 8th Draft Pick, he's more likely to be cut than safe.

Everyone after the first 7 picks is essentially a UDFA that really has to earn their spot if in a crowded field (Hardy has the easiest path as they were 1 player thin there when we drafted him).

- I don't see Toohill being released in favor of Jonathan. Jonathan lives on our Practice Squad and gets called up when we need him. While I like Jonathan, I think Toohill is the better player with more experience and production. There's a possibility we keep both, but if it comes down to it - I think it will be Toohill.

- While I don't see us keeping 12 DL like last season, we'll be keeping more than 9. Specifically, I see us keeping 5 DT's (to go along with 5 DE's). DeShawn Williams will be here.

- While Milano, Bernard, Williams, and Ulofoshio will be here, I'm not sure both Morrow and Spector will both be here. I think it will be one or the other.

- I don't know if I see us signing a FA CB. I think we'll keep the 5 you listed. Cam Lewis was re-signed in large part for his flexibility to play both Safety and Corner. I think he'll be focusing on Safety. But if we have 2 CB's go down at either Boundary or Nickel, he'll come in there.

Other than that - good stuff!

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Toohill makes it over Kingsley. And I think Hamlin stays as a backup and Cam Lewis stays at CB/Nickle.

Also think DeShawn Williams makes team over Baylon Spector and Clapp over Anderson

Edited by Kmart128

14 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Our draft is over, so here is my first look at 2024 roster. I included 9 rookies, I guess all of them have a good chance. I know a lot will change; this is just a projection for fun/discussion.

51 players already on the roster. I am pretty sure we add veteran WR through FA or trade, and I also think we will sign some cheap vet CB. I listed some other relevant players who did not make it.

Offense (25)

Defense (25)

Let me be the first to say it: “Super Bowl!! Beane is a wizard!!”

14 hours ago, SCBills said:

Y’all are way too down on this roster…

(I say this under the belief we add/trade for another legit WR)

Elite QB

Good OL

Good RB’s

Good TE’s

(TBD) WR Room

Strong DT Rotation

Von-Dependent DE Rotation

Good LB’s

Good CB’s

Solid Vet Safeties + Bishop

I would agree with this assessment. That receiver room still needs a strong veteran presence/burner. And that defensive end room is relying heavily on Von Miller I think they add another veteran there as well. 

16 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Offense (25)

Defense (25)

This is certainly close.  On offense I don't think we can pencil in Grable or Shorter, especially if Beane signs the vet he has been working out.  On defense I think Beane has created a battle for the 5th and final LB slot between Spector and Ulofoshio.  I also think Hamlin makes the team.  Hardy is an interesting question.  I see him fighting Hamler for the kick returner slot.

22 hours ago, wppete said:

Hamlin is a goner. 

Agreed, and I listed him as cut.

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

One correction.  Haack is punter and might benefit Bass as his holder

Not arguing. I will put him there as an alternate :)

10 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I think Toohill makes it over Kingsley. And I think Hamlin stays as a backup and Cam Lewis stays at CB/Nickle.

Also think DeShawn Williams makes team over Baylon Spector and Clapp over Anderson

Yeah you are probably right that Toohill is a slight favorite over Jonathan. Disagree about Hamlin, I think there won't be a spot for him. 

i also agree that you are probably correct that Williams should make it as 10th DL over one of LBs. But I think they are more likely to keep Spector than Morrow. Same with Anderson/Clapp. They really seem to love Anderson, he was on roster last year, and they never risked to put him on PS even when they needed to make in season moves.

8 hours ago, russ t. nail said:

Tyrell Shavers should be on the list for either WR or the other section with Isabella and hamler, yes?

After Cephus signing, I gave up the idea that we will add another relevant FA WR. So I put Hamler there as 6th WR and Shavers to the group of relevant players who will be cut.

I'm sorry to keep bringing it up, but...

If you had told me before the offseason got under way that our week one 2024 starting lineup at WR would be Curtis Samuel, Mack Hollins, and Khalil Shakir, with Keon Coleman coming off the bench, I probably would have tried to fight you.

On paper, we have one of the worst 5 WR corps in the league. 

13 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

A few things I disagree with here:

- I don't see us keeping 5 OT's. The number is always 4. Either Grable beats out Collins or he'll be released and we'll try to get him back on the Practice Squad. As a Late-6th Round Pick and our 8th Draft Pick, he's more likely to be cut than safe. I thought more about total OL, and last year we kept 10. My understanding is that Collins has some RT/G flexibility, and we gave him $1.5M deal fully guaranteed. So right now, he has a good chance to make the roster (sadly).

Everyone after the first 7 picks is essentially a UDFA that really has to earn their spot if in a crowded field (Hardy has the easiest path as they were 1 player thin there when we drafted him).

- I don't see Toohill being released in favor of Jonathan. Jonathan lives on our Practice Squad and gets called up when we need him. While I like Jonathan, I think Toohill is the better player with more experience and production. There's a possibility we keep both, but if it comes down to it - I think it will be Toohill. Agreed, I changed them. But your second sentence is not correct. Last year, he was on 53man roster from start to finish.

- While I don't see us keeping 12 DL like last season, we'll be keeping more than 9. Specifically, I see us keeping 5 DT's (to go along with 5 DE's). DeShawn Williams will be here. Agreed, 10DL / 5 LB makes more sense. I put him in and Morrow out.

- While Milano, Bernard, Williams, and Ulofoshio will be here, I'm not sure both Morrow and Spector will both be here. I think it will be one or the other.

- I don't know if I see us signing a FA CB. I think we'll keep the 5 you listed. Cam Lewis was re-signed in large part for his flexibility to play both Safety and Corner. I think he'll be focusing on Safety. But if we have 2 CB's go down at either Boundary or Nickel, he'll come in there. I guess we'll see. right now we only have Douglas, Benford and Elam as true boundary CBs, and I don't think Beane will be satisfied with that.

Other than that - good stuff!

Thanks for the feedback. My comments above.

A step back given the loss of Diggs, rotational defensive line players, ST players and overall depth. 

I really don't see any improvements to a roster that I thought already was below the talent level of a number of other teams, including San Fran, Baltimore, Miami and KC.

I think the Bills will miss Morse, Floyd and Diggs in particular.

I know that we were hamstrung by the salary cap this season, but the Bills really needed to improve their overall talent level.  Post initial free agency and the draft, I don't think we have moved significantly in that direction.

On 4/27/2024 at 6:34 PM, SCBills said:

Y’all are way too down on this roster…

(I say this under the belief we add/trade for another legit WR)

Elite QB

Good OL

Good RB’s

Good TE’s

(TBD) WR Room

Strong DT Rotation

Von-Dependent DE Rotation

Good LB’s

Good CB’s

Solid Vet Safeties + Bishop

I agree with most of your evaluation.  II think it is a bit of a stretch to label Mike Edwards and Taylor Rapp as a solid pair of safeties.  I kind of like what Edwards brings to the team.  He's been a part time starter (starting 28 games over 5 seasons) and brings a decent skill set to the Bills.  Taylor Rapp is a big hitter, but has sub par coverage ability and lacks the speed to hang with the better receivers in the league.  Fortunately, I think Bishop has a lot of upside and might start before the end of the season.