Logic's Buffalo Bills Draft Review -- The more things change, the more they stay the same

Logic

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

that doesn't really make me feel better considering last season they were counting on Sherfield and Harty

i mean at this point it honestly feels like we do this w the WR room every offseason

Well....we had a solid WR room in 2020 and made reasonable changes in 2021, but since then, you're not wrong.  Last two seasons, we have counted on WR to step it up who didn't or couldn't.

I don't feel good about our WR room at all, myself.  But the huge unknown (to me anyway) is just what DOES Joe Brady want our offense to look like?  Because judging by personnel, he clearly has something different in mind than Daboll did or Dorsey did.

Edited by Beck Water

On 4/29/2024 at 9:56 AM, eball said:

Did you listen to Carter's introductory press conference?  3-year captain at Duke.

Bill, you have an axe to grind over McDermott so it's hard take much of what you say seriously.

If we can, let's put everything aside and let only logic be our guide for the sake of this conversation....

1) If Carter is to be a  "leader" on the Bills, please tell me who he will lead and when.

2) What do you think Josh Allen would have been more pleased to have,  a 6'2" defensive tackle from Duke who might be a "leader" in the future (if he is still with the team) or another receiver with speed? 

3) In round two (after trading down), McDermott selected a wide receiver who is listed as running a 4.62 40. In fact, on this linked site he had the worst 40 time of any listed wideout. Does this even concern you a little bit? https://gbnreport.com/2024-wr-ranking/ Now, if we play a 12 package we will have two TEs and a comparatively slow wide receiver, this for a QB with a cannon. Call me crazy but I don't like this very much.

Btw, I re-read my post to you and consider it to be too harsh. I am sorry, and I do pray for more patience. Be well.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

that doesn't really make me feel better considering last season they were counting on Sherfield and Harty

i mean at this point it honestly feels like we do this w the WR room every offseason

They took a big swing on Harty and were incredibly wrong on him. They expected him to be WR4 and give them inside and outside flexibility and it just was a complete failure. At least they took a swing but it failed.

Sherfield should have never played as much as he did, but injuries to Gabe, Harty being terrible, and Diggs taking himself out of games led to that result. Honestly, I would have rather those reps went to Shorter instead of keeping him on "IR." At some point, they have to kind of develop what they have and I think that is what they may be trying to do here. 

Great post and mostly great thread.  I'll add my draft thoughts as well:

1. Keon Coleman - Overall I'm pretty happy with this pick.  I specifically didn't do anything to decide which of the WRs I really wanted; I learned that lesson from the 2008 draft when the top 3 guys I wanted (Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, and actual Bills pick James Hardy) all busted HARD at the NFL level.  Unlike the 2008 Bills regime, this regime has earned the benefit of the doubt from me.  So I was going in with the hope and expectation of "I hope they get the WR they want".  I'm pretty sure they did, so that's good.  And while many people have pointed out the risks and downside of this pick, there's some real positives as well.  He's Big - 6'3", 210 lbs - that's like perfect Big Receiver size - and shifty enough to be a good punt returner.  He's not even 21 yet and will get better athletically.  How much better?  Hard to say but very few human males have their speed/power athletic peak this young.  And his vertical and broad jump (good measures of explosiveness) are already good by NFL WR standards.  He also has less experience playing WR than other prospects, which again means he has room to get better.*  Watching his highlights, I think his Madden "spectacular catch" rating should be very high and should translate to the NFL.  I also think that he looks fast enough, but definitely doesn't have that 5th gear to pull away from guys.  I was pretty confident even pre-draft that his game speed was functionally better than his 40 time, and I'm very encouraged by the tracking data from the combine that got posted.  But on some of his punt return highlights, you can tell that he didn't get the TD because he didn't have any afterburners to turn on.  I can live with that, especially if he can catch 50/50 balls.

Prediction: Starter from day 1; plus player for his career.  How plus is up to him.

(*That's the secret to the success of the Josh Allen pick.  What the analytics didn't account for was that Allen had never had high-level coaching/training on the technique of playing QB: throwing mechanics, footwork, etc.  For at least a decade now, just about every QB with a first-round grade has already had that coaching since high school or at least freshman year of college.  So the analytics folks all assume (without realizing it) that QBs fundamentally can't improve in things like accuracy, when actually it's just that the vast majority of 1st-round QBs have already improved a lot in that area.)

2. Cole Bishop - Didn't excite me, but appears to be a solid pick.  I like that he's above-average athletically (9.88 RAS!), because McDermott and staff have shown tremendous ability to develop guys in the secondary.  So the best case scenario is that Bishop becomes an All-Pro.  I'll admit, I was kind of hoping we'd be able to find our guy at S in like the 4th round, but realistically I figured we'd be drafting one early.  I love the fact that Bishop seems pretty versatile - that should help disguising coverages and what not.

Prediction: Starter by end of 2024; possible star by his peak.

3. Dewayne Carter - This is the last pick where I wasn't actively rooting for WR to be the pick.  (I still would've been happy with a WR pick here though.)  When Beane talked in his presser about "the team is in transition", this pick came to mind.  3-time captain, chose to stay at Duke despite NIL offers from bigger schools, closely related to multiple former NFL players.  This pick best exemplifies some of the overall ethos of the draft: Sustaining & maintaining culture.  They went heavily for guys who are going to *like* playing in Buffalo, who are going to be fully bought in to the team and the culture, and who will eventually be captains indoctrinating the next generation into the culture.  In terms of on-field, I like-don't-love the pick.  7.67 RAS might mean his upside is fairly limited, but Kyle Williams wasn't the greatest athlete either, so who knows?  I noted in the draft day thread that about half of Carter's highlights during the broadcast were rushing from the 1-technique.  Seems like he'll start off as a 3tech on regular downs and a 1tech on passing downs.  I wouldn't be suprised if he bulks up a bit (10-20 lbs) and winds up playing 50/50 or more at 1tech.

Prediction: Rotational player from Day 1; good enough to earn a 2nd contract from the Bills.

4. Ray Davis - Was quite disappointed at first, just based on positional value.  So from a strategic standpoint, I don't like the pick.  With that said, I really like the player now that I've heard of him.  I love the 5'8", 211 lbs build - I think it's one of the best body types for RBs.  Give me a 5'8" or 5'9" dude who's stout enough to take hits all day.  His RAS of 5.41 doesn't inspire confidence, especially at age 24, but to be honest he looks pretty fast on his highlights.  I don't really mind the age or miles on him, because we're looking for immediate production.  And I love that he comes in with great pass-catching experience.   This regime has definitely overcommitted draft capital to RBs, but I trust their judgment when it comes to the actual picks.  Motor is a good NFL player, Moss was a beast when he got the opportunity last year, Cook looks great, and I'm confident Davis will be a good player for the Bills.  Having said that, it's still gonna sting if Jacob Cowing or Anthony Gould becomes a draft steal.

Prediction: Wins the primary backup job in camp; probably leaves after his rookie deal.

5. Sedrick Van Pran-Granger - I was pretty happy with this pick, in spite of it not being a WR.  Center is definitely a need with Morse gone, and you can often find good or even great Cs at this point in the draft.  Everyone seems to agree that SVPG is a very good prospect, just not super athletic (7.63 RAS) and has short arms.  I think training camp will feature a 3-way competition between McGovern, Anderson, and VPG.  I'd be suprised if VPG wins that competition as a rookie, but I think he'll get a chance.  Maybe not more than the 1-day audition Baylon Spector got at MLB this past year, but still.

Prediction: Makes the team as a rookie; starting C in 2025 unless Anderson turns out to be a stud

5. Edufuan Ulofoshio - Not much for me to add beyond what Logic already said.  The player himself appears to be a good pick for the late 5th round, and I like the 9.67 RAS.  But... how much of a priority is our #6 linebacker?  I don't know if we're going to have 4 more injuries at LB (at the same time) ever again, and even if we did, we'd probably try to trade for a guy instead of putting Ulofoshio out there.  But with the new kickoff rules, special teams should be at least a little more important next year, so maybe Ulofoshio can make an impact there?

Prediction: Makes the team as core special teamer; not sure if he ever gets above that

5. Javon Solomon - Love this pick!  Most good pass rushers come from early in the draft.  If a guy this late is going to be any good, there has to be something "wrong" with him.  In Solomon's case, he's short and he went to a small school.  But his 246 lbs isn't really that undersized (Von Miller is listed at 250 lbs), and almost 34" arms help mitigate the height thing.  7.28 RAS isn't amazing, but his height is a pretty big penalty there, and he's quite good in the explosiveness metrics.

Prediction: Strip-sack of Mahomes takes us to the Super Bowl!  (Why not?)

6. Tylan Grable - This is another one where I like the player, but don't really like the strategic value of the pick.  Grable looks very promising, IF we can keep him on the 53 all year.  Similar to pass rushers, you don't find big, athletic LTs this late unless there's something wrong with them.  In Grable's case, it's newness to the position after converting from QB to TE to LT (with some RT and guard in there as well).  It'll take some time for him to be a plus player at the NFL level, but he's got the athleticism (9.85 RAS) to be not just good, but great - if he gets really good at the technique of the position.

Prediction: Bills keep him on the 53 and he's usually a healthy scratch; maybe he winds up a starter in 2-3 years

6. Daequan Hardy - After hearing Beane's press conference, it I think this pick should've been announced as kick returner rather than defensive back.  It sounded like the path for him to make the team is to win the punt return job, and in that scenario he'll then be a deeeeep depth player at CB.  We don't have a ton of return options on the roster, so he's got a chance.  Especially if he can return both punts and new-style kickoffs.

Prediction: He doesn't make the 53-man roster; winds up on another team for a few years

7. Travis Clayton - See my comments for Tylan Grable, but even more so.  There isn't really a path for him to make the 53 man roster, right?  So this pick basically comes down to whether a non-contending team is willing to claim him on waivers and train him while keeping him on the active roster.  If we can keep him a Buffalo Bills for a few years, Clayton could be an absolute steal!  Plus it's very fun to root for a guy who's literally never played a game of gridiron football in his life.  Anyway, one thing I found interesting is that he's been listed at OG just about everywhere I've seen.  Not ruling it out, but it would seem like at 6'7", you'd want him at OT instead.  Not sure the Bills have actually gotten that far.  If it was me, I think I'd try to run him through drills at every position - both to help him understand what each position does and means, and to see how naturally stuff comes to Clayton and how well he picks it up.  Mike Tomlin apparently had a plan for Clayton to play on the D-line while also cross-training at OT.  I wouldn't rule out DE, OT, OG, or even TE until I'd seen him in practice.

Prediction: Oh, like I know.  This is a prospect where truly anything is possible.  But I'll at least go on record saying that he won't make the 53.

Overall - Pick by pick, I like or can talk myself into every one.  But I do have some complaints on a macro level.  First, like many others, I didn't think there was enough investment in the WR position.  I believe Beane when he says they had other guys higher or felt other needs were greater; I just disagree on our need I guess.  I would've tried to make it a priority to get 1 guy from whatever tier Coleman was in, and a 2nd guy from whatever tier Baker and Cowing were in. 

Second, this regime sometimes seems too confident in their board.  Now, they're definitely solid at scouting - look at how many of our late round picks are still in the NFL, even if not on the Bills.  But no one is perfect, and they seem very willing to just punt on a pick when it's not a guy they love.  If you know that other teams are gonna claim 3-4 of your cuts on waivers, then maybe it's worth spending that 6th or 7th rounder on a position where you don't like the guy, but he's got a shot to make the team just based on numbers.  Sometimes you'll just be wrong in a lucky way, and the guy you didn't like will turn out to be a legit player.  Similarly, I'm sure our 4th round RB and 5th round LB are good players, but maybe we'd be better off as a team with 2 rolls of the dice at WR there, and instead try to find our backup RB and special-teams LB in the 6th or 7th.  I love both project O-linemen we took late, but there's a pretty solid chance that both are cut and claimed on waivers by another team.  If that happens, they were wasted picks.

With that said, I'm fairly happy overall.  I liked both trade downs on Day 1, I don't mind selling the 5th rounder for a 4th next year, and I think the commitment to building a new nucleus makes sense.  I also like that we have a full complement of picks next year, plus the Vikings 2nd and Bears 4th, and hopefully another 4th and 5th in comp picks.  It feels like this year will be a bit of a dip, as the offense and defense figure out what works and what doesn't.  I think we're good enough to win the division, but I doubt we're still dead-even with the Chiefs (except for late-game playoff execution) in terms of being the class of the league.  And I can live with that.  Make the playoffs, have a puncher's chance against anyone, see what happens.  Then try to get an impact player in 2025 free agency, and swing for the fences in the 2025 draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They took a big swing on Harty and were incredibly wrong on him. They expected him to be WR4 and give them inside and outside flexibility and it just was a complete failure. At least they took a swing but it failed.

Sherfield should have never played as much as he did, but injuries to Gabe, Harty being terrible, and Diggs taking himself out of games led to that result. Honestly, I would have rather those reps went to Shorter instead of keeping him on "IR." At some point, they have to kind of develop what they have and I think that is what they may be trying to do here. 

Harty wasn't really a big swing, more like a bunt. Guy had not been very productive prior. But they did overpay him.

Sherfield was also more of a lukewarm attempt.  1yr deal. No real prior production.

If they planned to let Gabe walk you think they would have invested a draft pick last year in a replacement. They got Kincaid instead.  

Other good teams surround their QBs with talent. Look at Philly, Cinci, SF, Ravens. KC is the only one that trended away from that last year, but this year they're back at it with Hollywood Brown and Worthy as additions.

It all adds up to a FO/HC that doesn't seem to want Josh to throw downfield.  Are they trying to hem him in due to the INTs? 

A lot of really outstanding replies today. Wow.

@MrEpsYtown @BillsVet @Cash @Beck Water et al, Thank you all. Each of you made at least one point, if not several, that I found really interesting and gave me something to chew on.

I feel after this latest batch of replies like this thread represents the best of this message board. Lots of really high level discussion. We disagree on some points, but we're doing so in a way that is civil, and the discourse around it hopefully expands each of our viewpoints a little bit and allows us to consider things from a new angle.

Great stuff from everyone. Thank you all for taking the time and expounding your thoughts.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

If we can, let's put everything aside and let only logic be our guide for the sake of this conversation....

1) If Carter is to be a  "leader" on the Bills, please tell me who he will lead and when.

2) What do you think Josh Allen would have been more pleased to have,  a 6'2" defensive tackle from Duke who might be a "leader" in the future (if he is still with the team) or another receiver with speed? 

3) In round two (after trading down), McDermott selected a wide receiver who is lisated as running a 4.62 40. In fact, on this linked site he had the worst 40 time of any listed wideout. Does this even concern you a little bit? https://gbnreport.com/2024-wr-ranking/ Now, if we play a 12 package we will have two TEs and a comparatively slow wide receiver, this for a QB with a cannon. Call me crazy but I don't like this very much.

Btw, I re-read my post to you and consider it to be too harsh. I am sorry, and I do pray for more patience. Be well.

I think all he was trying to point out (and he is right) is that the Bills picks included at least 4 (I think more maybe) Alpha-Dog Team Captains from the college team they were on, and that it was part of the consideration in drafting them (Beane spoke on this and validated it) due to a large turnover in team leaders lost from the Bills (Poyer, Hyde, Morse, Diggs, Trey day, etc.). I think that is a sound and logical approach by the team for this draft.

As far as the WR, I wanted to move up for BTJ or stay for Legette, but the guy we took is further along in development than Legette and rates/shows well enough in lots of other areas besides 40 time (he runs faster than 4.6 per Beanes mentioned GPS on the filed results), and I'll trust the team on that not hindering him too much. We'll find out in 2 or 3 years (Like with any prospect, its not an exact science).

51 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

3) In round two (after trading down), McDermott selected a wide receiver who is lisated as running a 4.62 40. In fact, on this linked site he had the worst 40 time of any listed wideout. Does this even concern you a little bit? https://gbnreport.com/2024-wr-ranking/ Now, if we play a 12 package we will have two TEs and a comparatively slow wide receiver, this for a QB with a cannon. Call me crazy but I don't like this very much.

Bill, you're still one of these guys pounding the table that McDermott makes the draft picks.  It's ludicrous.

The Bills drafted players who had leadership roles on their college teams.  You don't think that translates into the pros?

I used to just chuckle about your outbursts over taking 1st round cornerbacks, but now the crusade against McD is really too much.

Let's just agree we both hope the Bills win a lot of football games and leave it at that.  Neither of us can control how they build the team.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, eball said:

I used to just chuckle about your outbursts over taking 1st round cornerbacks, but now the crusade against McD is really too much.

Let's just agree we both hope the Bills win a lot of football games and leave it at that.  Neither of us can control how they build the team.

And I chuckle about your pom pom waving, 1 man cheering section, (outcomes notwithstanding) but certainly, let's hope.

7 hours ago, mjt328 said:

As I've said before, I think Brandon Beane is easily a Top 5-10 General Manager in the NFL.  

But for someone who's nickname is "big baller," his drafts have become extremely conservative and predictable.  

That's why so many fans are frustrated.  The franchise literally lost a half-dozen guys who were All-Pro talents in previous seasons.  But instead of shooting for the stars and trying to land a big-time IMPACT player, Beane was comfortable just filling out the roster with solid and safe players.

At this point, it feels like Beane's drafts are mostly on auto-pilot.  He knows what kind of players fit Sean McDermott's defensive system.  He knows what kind of character traits fit this locker room.  He doesn't like taking guys with injury risks, and prioritizes versatility/special teams ability.  He is willing to move around the board 4-5 spots, but tries to avoid parting with any picks 4th Round or earlier.  

- Rounds 1-2 he addresses the Bills two biggest needs.  Every single time.

- Rounds 3-5 he fills out depth on the roster at positions still needing bodies.

- By the last few rounds, we are usually out of fillable roster spots and he's ready to go home.

.....isn't this what teams are SUPPOSED to do?

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

And I chuckle about your pom pom waving, 1 man cheering section, (outcomes notwithstanding) but certainly, let's hope.

Is there another option?  What exactly can we control?  All of the teeth gnashing in the world won't change a single thing about the Bills.  I choose to have fun, look for the silver lining, and enjoy it.  You choose another path.  If that's enjoyment for you so be it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Samuel is not a wr2 and Cook is no where a star if he can't catch a routine throw.  But I do like the idea of diversity considering there's not one receiver to scheme against defensively. This should play somewhat to our advantage. I'll keep an open mind regarding Coleman but he wasn't on my top 10 list.

Samuel is for people that don't think a WR #2 is a 1st round top 15 pick like some teams have that are #2 in name only.

Edited by Big Turk

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The run game is important, as are all phases. But it's probably the least important of the four phases.

The Chiefs haven't had a better than average running game for a long time, and they do OK. 17th in total yards and 13th in yards per carry last year. Very average.

The Texans run game weren't good, 22nd total and 29th at YPC. They will absolutely compete this year, though they may get better at the run game. They have a ways to go to get better than average at toting the rock.

The Chiefs became the contender they have been once they made the run a priority this past year.

The Texans switched to Singletarry as their started and started to run the ball MUCH better, and so made it a more integral part of their team. They became the talk of the league, as their young QB then really took off.

The running game was vital to those playoff teams last year, and most of the other ones as well.  It will be so this year again; the movement toward smaller linebackers and safeties the last few years meant the running game would take on new meaning--teams not buying into the tired already old cliche that the running game is an after thought--see Ken Dorsey--will be left behind. 

Edited by Mister Defense

10 hours ago, ren1701 said:

Just going back to 2019 and I can go back even farther then that if you like - only one team in the big show had a top 5 run game, THE NUMBER S DON"T LIE - perhaps the talking heads you listen to do? Think about it - how many big contracts are being made for running backs??? None, as they are now throw always that you use up on a rookie deal and trade em. The weakness in Allens game went away because they moved from run run pass punt Dorcey,  and be honest, remove Allen and just like Lamar, without these guys, these teams have no run game. 

Let me say the thing that should be said: 

Without Josh Allen, the Bills are a sub .500 team that would have got this coaching staff tanked years ago. His natural ability and aptitude for what is happening around him keeps us in games too many times as the Bills are scoring on broken plays or scramble drills.

"Only the teams with better than average running games will contend in the AFC this year.... 

2019 - #1 - Ravens .. no Lombardi - SB winner Pats, run ranking - 18, passing #9 (4153)

2020 - #1 - Ravens ... no Lombardi - SB winner KC, run ranking - 16, passing #1 (5005) 

2021 - #1 - Philly ...  no Lombardi - SB winner Bucs, run ranking - 26, passing #1 (5383)

2022 - #1 - Da  Bears... no Lombardi - SB winner Rams, run ranking #5, passing #25 (3506) 

2023 - #1 - Ravens again... no Lombardi - SB winner KC, run ranking #19. passing #7 (4383)

Barring the run by the Rams in 22 - nothing you are saying is supported by numbers but rather an antiquated notion that the NFL is still a run first league. Not even one of those QBS that won it were "system guys" supported by a great running game.

It's all about the QB, nothing else matters and here's the real elephant in the room - as long a McD sits in that nickel cover 2 soft Tampa zone nonsense for 80% of the game, you better have a guy that can put up 35 plus points in a game because when they get to the playoffs and play REAL QB's - they eat his lunch... 4 years running now… the very definition of insanity.

The ability to run the ball well, after not committing to it, in two of the last three years made the Bills almost unbeatable.  There was a clear, salient shift in philosophy, and yes, likely 'requested' by the man you despise, Sean McDermott.

It made the Bills better on offense, as they became a more physical team capable of doing what they wanted, no longer a one trick pony, no longer super predictable.

Bravo to Bean for getting a running back earlier in this year's draft than most expected, a top notch WR 1 and a likely new starting center.  All men chosen there will further develop the tough, physical nature of this team, one that better matches its leader, Josh Allen.

Glad to see that our leaders on the team get it, get how vital it is to have a multidimensional team capable of imposing its will on teams, no matter the defense they face. 

14 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

The ability to run the ball well, after not committing to it, in two of the last three years made the Bills almost unbeatable.  There was a clear, salient shift in philosophy, and yes, likely 'requested' by the man you despise, Sean McDermott.

It made the Bills better on offense, as they became a more physical team capable of doing what they wanted, no longer a one trick pony, no longer super predictable.

Bravo to Bean for getting a running back earlier in this year's draft than most expected, a top notch WR 1 and a likely new starting center.  All men chosen there will further develop the tough, physical nature of this team, one that better matches its leader, Josh Allen.

Glad to see that our leaders on the team get it, get how vital it is to have a multidimensional team capable of imposing its will on teams, no matter the defense they face. 

Welcome to the Bills message board where the fans believe what they are told and the numbers don't matter. 

Sorry, I don't know what games you were at, but I assure you, "committing to it, in two of the last three years made the Bills almost unbeatable" might not be true, at least in the playoffs: 

2020 Lost the Conference Championship against the Kansas City Chiefs (24-38) - BUF  Rushing 129 / Passing 234  KC  Rushing 114 / Passing / Passing 325

I call this one the no answer game as they had no answer for Hill as he shredded us for 172 yards and Kelce for 118 and every first down, you remember? 3 and 6 lets give them a 12 yard cushion...love da zone LOL 

2021 Lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in the Divisional Round in overtime (36-42) - BUF Rushing 109 / Passing 313 KC  Rushing 182/ Passing 370

This was by far 17's best game as a pro- you could literally watch him carrying the entire team and coaching staff... I'll give you 13 seconds to think about it 

2022 Lost to the Cincinnati Bengals in the Divisional Round (10-27) - BUF Rushing 64/ Passing 261 CIN  Rushing 172/ Passing 240

C'mon - you remember this one - Cover 2 Tampa soft zone can't stop the inside run with a 180 pound DB playing MLB as they spotted them 14 points in the first 12 minutes of the game. I'll give you this one, we did out pass them in this one, too bad we were never in it. Burrow owned that zone as 9 different people caught passes 

2023 Lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in the Divisional Round (24-27) - BUF Rushing 182/ Passing 186 KC Rushing 146/ Passing 215

The coaching "not to lose" game - and after 5 years, still have no answer for Travis Kelce. A minute and half left to go, 17 flinging it all over the yard, send out the field goal unit... and 17 was responsible for 72 of 182.

You keep saying I have an issue w/ the run game, it's literally the defense over and over again. The problem I have with McD is he is the very definition of insanity, do it over and over again and expect a different result. KC had that hole and the went out and got Spagnuolo while we held on to Frasier. I promise you, Reid knows nothing about the defense. Now in Frasier's defense, no one knows how much McD had in calling defenses over the years, but if he was calling the shots, Frasier should have been gone after 13 seconds break down. Now we promote Babich, and as of last Feb24 "Sean McDermott is undecided on Bills' defensive play-caller: 'We'll make that decision when we need to" is all you need to know. I believe McD is a fine head coach - if he would just let the talent around him do their thing. they can build an offense around 17 that can put up 35 a game to make up for defensive philosophy that only works against bad teams. 

Saying as far as "the leaders on the team getting it" -  The only thing they are "getting" is an early tee time every season while getting to watch someone else hoist the Lombardi. 

Just my take - hopefully, maybe this year it will work ... 5ths times a charm. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/27/2024 at 8:17 PM, Beck Water said:

I would like to know what DJ Chark has left, myself.  He was a legit "fast guy" coming out - 4.31 40-time.  He showed he can put up 1000+ yd season with "meh" QB like Minshew and Foles throwing to him.

He had some very bad luck with a broken ankle early in the season for 2021, and then an ankle injury early in 2022 that put him on IR.  500+ yard guy the last 2 seasons despite that and a rookie QB on a bad team in CAR last season.

He's only 27.

On the other hand, if he still has it physically, it would be surprising he's still on the FA market, so IDK.

Chark is an interesting option and whether or not he is the guy I do believe Beane is bringing in a vet under 30 after June 1st.

On 4/29/2024 at 8:21 AM, mjt328 said:

As I've said before, I think Brandon Beane is easily a Top 5-10 General Manager in the NFL.  

But for someone who's nickname is "big baller," his drafts have become extremely conservative and predictable.  

That's why so many fans are frustrated.  The franchise literally lost a half-dozen guys who were All-Pro talents in previous seasons.  But instead of shooting for the stars and trying to land a big-time IMPACT player, Beane was comfortable just filling out the roster with solid and safe players.

At this point, it feels like Beane's drafts are mostly on auto-pilot.  He knows what kind of players fit Sean McDermott's defensive system.  He knows what kind of character traits fit this locker room.  He doesn't like taking guys with injury risks, and prioritizes versatility/special teams ability.  He is willing to move around the board 4-5 spots, but tries to avoid parting with any picks 4th Round or earlier.  

- Rounds 1-2 he addresses the Bills two biggest needs.  Every single time.

- Rounds 3-5 he fills out depth on the roster at positions still needing bodies.

- By the last few rounds, we are usually out of fillable roster spots and he's ready to go home.

I think he was looking to add core pieces.  Allen keeps the Bills in the race.  Getting younger was needed everywhere.  They did that.  2025 they have alot of draft capital and cap space.  Gearing up for the new stadium in 26.  Its a rebirth of the team.  Young guys need to step up.  Shakir and Kincaid on offense. Benard and Rousseau on defense. Cook and Oliver did it last year.  Still favorites in the East.  Need guys to make plays to go further than they have. 

On 4/27/2024 at 6:17 PM, Logic said:

Right now, I agree with you. I think the Bills are further from Super Bowl contention right now than they were at season's end. Some of that was bound to happen due to salary cap implications and aging players that left, but...I can't help but agree. You either step forward, backward, or stand pat in a given offseason. At BEST, I feel the Bills stood pat, but I think it's more likely that they took a step back.

I respect your thought process. You could well be right about all of this. But I'm not 100% sure.

I want to zero in on our most recent playoff loss to the Chiefs. Bills receivers had 160 yards of drops. You look at Coleman's game, and some of his best attributes are his ability to defeat press coverage, and his strong tendency to actually catch the football. The hope is that Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid will have a lot less than 160 yards of drops. While that hope may or may not come to fruition, at least it's rational.

Then you look at the Bills defense. Under McDermott, the Bills defense has never generated more than two stops in a playoff game against the Chiefs or the Bengals. All we have to do to be better on playoff defense is to generate at least three stops against the Chiefs. Cole Bishop could be better at covering Kelce than anyone was in our most recent postseason loss. We also have a bunch of defenders coming back from injury. Like, a bunch. The real question is whether McDermott/Babich will call a soft zone/prevent defense against the Chiefs, or whether they'll use something that actually works. This Bills defense definitely has the talent to generate 3+ stops against the Chiefs. Whether it will have the right defensive game plan remains to be seen.