For those that don’t like the Coleman pick

whorlnut

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

For those of you that aren’t thrilled about the Keon Coleman pick…remember one thing.  Word came out that he was the last receiver left on Allen’s wish list. Thats a big deal. Why would Beane not want to consult the face of his franchise when trying to get him more weapons?

This tells me that Allen’s wish list included Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman, and probably Thomas. Think of it this way…if worthy, pearsall, or legette were on that list, they would have taken them at 28, or at most 32 for legette. I’m sure Beane would have liked to have traded down another time, but he could have risked losing Coleman.

I wasn’t overly thrilled with Coleman being the guy, but while he might lack separation on tape, and a good 40 time, he also had amazing splits in the 40 and other drills. The drills are where the football comes out in these guys…you know, catching the ball. Haha. Anyways…when you look at the bigger picture with Coleman, it’s not a bad pick at all. The guy is really athletic, has great hands and body control…and most of all…Allen wanted him.  

Keon could end up being a really good player for all I know....but I really hope this reason isn't why we drafted him. And I love #17. But this is a guy that also wanted Ken Dorsey to be the OC. 

But that's not a slight. He's not a talent evaluator. Michael Jordan was the GOAT of the NBA but an incredibly awful GM. They are completely different jobs. Could someone be really good at both? Sure. But there is a learning curve for it, one that Beane and other evaluators have obviously gone through. 

Asking for his opinion? Sure. But I hope the pick was made based on people who spent countless hours studying these guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wasn't a fan of the pick but I'm warming up to Coleman as that bigger Gabe Davis with better hands comp that people have put out. We're focused on a Diggs replacement but we have to replace Davis too, and even though he was frustratingly inconsistent at times he provided a lot of value as a blocker and leader that does leave a void. Gabe Davis himself would be a decent 2nd round pick, a Gabe that doesn't drop critical passes is a good starter. I also respect the importance that Beane and McDermott put on character - I have to believe having good, hard working guys up and down the roster and having that culture permeate the building is a big reason why we've won 48 games over the past 4 years.

So we won't replace Diggs this year, but that was always a tall order unless we went all in on a guy which I'm happy we didn't do. Add a speed guy with some Z upside today and I'll be satisfied with our weapons, acknowledging that we can upgrade more next year. But hopefully I'm wrong and he's the next Brandon Marshall!

Edited by 518Buffalo

4 minutes ago, 518Buffalo said:

Wasn't a fan of the pick but I'm warming up to Coleman as that bigger Gabe Davis with better hands comp that people have put out. We're focused on a Diggs replacement but we have to replace Davis too, and even though he was frustratingly inconsistent at times he provided a lot of value as a blocker and leader that does leave a void. Gabe Davis himself would be a decent 2nd round pick, a Gabe that doesn't drop critical passes is a good starter. I also respect the importance that Beane and McDermott put on character - I have to believe having good, hard working guys up and down the roster and having that culture permeate the building is a big reason why we've won 48 games over the past 4 years.

So we won't replace Diggs this year, but that was always a tall order unless we went all in on a guy which I'm happy we didn't do. Add a speed guy with some Z upside today and I'll be satisfied with our weapons, acknowledging that we can upgrade more next year. But hopefully I'm wrong and he's the next Brandon Marshall!

Samuel is the diggs replacement and Coleman is the Davis replacement 

that’s how I see it now can they produce the same or better that’s the question 

• Like (+1) 3

For those of you that aren’t thrilled about the Keon Coleman pick…remember one thing.  Word came out that he was the last receiver left on Allen’s wish list. Thats a big deal. Why would Beane not want to consult the face of his franchise when trying to get him more weapons?

This tells me that Allen’s wish list included Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Coleman, and probably Thomas. Think of it this way…if worthy, pearsall, or legette were on that list, they would have taken them at 28, or at most 32 for legette. I’m sure Beane would have liked to have traded down another time, but he could have risked losing Coleman.

I wasn’t overly thrilled with Coleman being the guy, but while he might lack separation on tape, and a good 40 time, he also had amazing splits in the 40 and other drills. The drills are where the football comes out in these guys…you know, catching the ball. Haha. Anyways…when you look at the bigger picture with Coleman, it’s not a bad pick at all. The guy is really athletic, has great hands and body control…and most of all…Allen wanted him.  

We'll find out, but since when is Allen the expert on projecting NFL performance.  Not saying that Beane & Co. are wrt WRs, just sayin'.  Who's in charge here.  

All that's obvious is that there's been non-stop talk about having a #1 WR, and anyone thinking that Coleman fits that bill is going well against the flow of every draft profiler out there.  The grade by CBS was a C-, lowest of that round.  

Again, here's a great write-up on Coleman for anyone that actually wants good analysis.  Did Allen see this btw.  And for the does Allen like it angle, he also loved Davis.  

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-florida-state-keon-coleman-polarizing-wide-receiver-prospect

We'll see how it works out.  Bickering amongst us does nothing one way or another.  All I'm doing it pointing out the inconsistencies and hypocrisies in the statements, sentiments, and reasoning.  

I love Josh Allen as much as the next Bills fan, but if Beane and co are letting him make draft selections, there's something seriously wrong with their process.

He should have input, yes, but his preference after watching a few Youtube highlight videos (which is how Josh himself said he looks at draft prospects) should not outweigh the months and months of work the scouting staff does. 

I doubt it does. I think the "Josh made this pick!" stuff is overstated. If the scouting staff and Beane didn't like Coleman, it's hard for me to believe that they would've taken him over guys they preferred.

The guy is really athletic, has great hands and body control…and most of all…Allen wanted him.  

BTW, this statement in and of itself reveals how this team has no offensive prowess on the staff.  Everything's by committee of one sort or another and ultimately under the final approval and scrutiny of someone with sole credentials on the defensive side.  

We need someone that has an offensive vision of what this offense is capable of.  Daboll was the best we had, but even he left performance on the field from a tactical side.  

And yes, Coleman's athletic, most players are, but even if he's among the best overall athletes, that in and of itself hardly translates to the NFL, and if it did, why the marginal stats in college.  

Edited by PBF81

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

My 2 cents is this, watch the tape.  I don't give a damn about the underwear olympics.  The guy gets separation, is physical as hell, quick, catches with his hands and catches a ton that Davis dropped. Also as for as the 40 time, WATCH HIS TAPE.  He has no problem with football speed.  

Look Im gonna give this guy a chance, he works his ass off and is very coachable. Listen to how he was when Beane called him. He feels humbled and blessed for the opportunity.  Lets give the kid a chance, I bet he works out ok.

I’m not saying you are wrong.  What concerns me is that in 28 games over his college career he only eclipsed 100 yds 5 times.  He may end up being a great pro.  I just like to see some consistency. 5 games over 100 yards in a span of 4 years is not very encouraging. That comes to 1 game a year over 100 yds in a game.  No where near the production I would expect from the number 33 pick in the draft. He sounds like a project to me.  The kind you take a flyer on in the 5, 6, and 7 round.  I really hope I am wrong and you are correct.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zevo said:

I feel like Allen wanted a guy that could make that ridiculous catch in the big moment. Colemans has a lot of ridiculous grabs

He definitely does seem very capable of making catches from any angle and plucking the ball out of the air.

That may be more valuable to the team than separation,

But I gotta tell ya - Allen’s best season came when Daboll was scheming guys into separation.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He definitely does seem very capable of making catches from any angle and plucking the ball out of the air.

That may be more valuable to the team than separation,

But I gotta tell ya - Allen’s best season came when Daboll was scheming guys into separation.

And this is exactly the reason why I preferred Ladd mckonky. Hopefully he pans out.

At the Chiefs, Bills last playoff game the Chiefs receivers were wide open. The Chiefs were getting 20 yard chunk plays and it took us 12 plays to get 15 yards. Not sure if this was due to defensive injuries or offensive scheme. My feeling is you have to scheme the players open, especially if there not fast.

If Coleman works out, great.  But I just don't see how taking the 9th best receiver, 2nd round player, is us addressing the loss of Diggs and giving Josh the support to push us to the next level.

Considering that the only other starting position we drafted was S, I'm even more bothered by the Coleman pick.  If Coleman was the LAST player on their list, why did we not move up and grab someone else?  I don't think Thomas, Worthy, or Legette was on their list, or they would have taken them.  I think most people here would be okay if we gave up everyone we've drafted so far, and next year's first or 2nd, to have moved up to 9.  

What makes me question Beane above all is, how is Coleman the only receiver in this deep class in the top 10 that they wanted?  And if the answer is that Coleman wasn't the only player, why did we not make moves to get someone else?

We keep dumping assets into the defense only to have that unit fail us time and time again.  We have NEVER really prioritized supporting Josh in these drafts with a premiere player, outside of Kincaid.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

Samuel is the diggs replacement and Coleman is the Davis replacement 

that’s how I see it now can they produce the same or better that’s the question 

This is the right way to view it and I think Coleman will be a upgrade for Davis and the offense wont be as reliant on Samuel as they were on Diggs  More Kincaid more Cook out of the backfield and continue to add more of Shakir.  We can also hope that one of them steps way up and deserves a larger target share

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Shame on Allen for wanting a big target who makes big catches when he needs someone like that in the big moments that Diggs never did.  

Eric Moulds - Big, physical, awesome hands and returned kicks occasionally - That’s Coleman. 

Look at these contested catches in these highlights and then watch Coleman. One handed catches, falling down catches, jump balls and contested catches.  Everyone complaining of the pick gonna be eating crow. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Gigs said:

College is a lot more handsy than the NFL too. Kaiir was a good corner at UF but he was known for grabbing shirts and wasn't flagged much for it (going into that draft I felt he'd make a better FS). I want to see what Coleman can do when there's no tugging anymore. I'll bet we see more separation. Same thing with Pukka Nacua. 

no tugging?   sure is in the playoff's. 

5 hours ago, balln said:

Allen has been on record and even piecing together his off seasons. He takes 1-2 months off completely. No working out. Goes plays golf. Travels w his lady friend

he says he doesn’t participate in draft process, no interviews, no game tape

he said he watches the YouTube highlight vids. 

I DO not want in anyway Allen to make picks directly. I think this is all funny interview filler. 

They may ask Josh what traits he likes in a WR and then they look at the WR’s in the draft and take the one that fits the profile best.