Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

5 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

First off, thank you for being much more respectful than someone else here. It's nice to have a convo rather than have someone act like a screw driver. 

Couple things, for obvious reasons, I didn't want to believe this as A) Leggette was who I was hoping for and B) it's not a great look for someone who I'm a fan of. I have no interest in bashing Beane, and while not perfect, he knows much more about football than myself. I didn't have to say anything and it's more just stating what went through my head through out the day. I had no issue w the trade as a fan last night, but the text I got from someone who knows NOTHING about the draft but works w someone who's husband is a scout said that he was the guy, they didn't expect that's who it was going to be for, so now Coleman is the guy. 

After umpiring a highschool game I hopped in the car and listened to the pick and sure enough - Coleman. I called that person and they mentioned the 2nd pick - also spot on. It is what it is, my only real point here was that I hoped the picks weren't true - not bc I didn't want the players... but bc I didnt want to believe the story. There weren't specs in the sense that ' the world was ending' or 'they had both similar but Legette more so while they'd have preferred one, they weren't unhappy w the other' just simply that CAR took who they'd planned on taking. 

Maybe they were close enough he was willing to take that chance w that return. I have no idea. I just feel like if it's one team behind and they want to get ahead of you - I was surprised the stipulation wasn't we had to know who they wanted before the trade. 

Either way, the point of the post was simply I spent the day hoping that wasn't the pick so I could write off the story as bunk. Then not one, but 2 picks were just as they said. As such, now I believe it. No one else has to, just mentioned it bc I felt it was interesting. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course man, always appreciate a good conversation.  Thx for sharing what you heard.

We will never quite know, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Beane had them basically equal/or very similar ranking.

My source (albeit with Steelers), told me Coleman to Bills about an hour or so prior to draft on Thurs night. 

I think both could be true, Legette and Coleman equally graded and knowing they'd get 1 of them was enough for Beane to move back.  I'd just be genuinely shocked if Beane didn't know exactly who Dan was targeting and all the publicly available info connecting Legette to Car.

I'd been happy with either player, Coleman was highest on my list during the Fall (with Worthy).  I'm not shocked though that Beane decided to go with a big bodied/physical WR, something Josh hasn't had.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

I'm not sure whether they had to pivot. There was nothing stopping them picking Legette and rejecting the Panthers offer. I think they simply preferred Coleman's physical attributes.

Or at the very least were OK with picking either.

• Like (+1) 1

The draft is always a gamble, but Beane is really making a big gamble taking Coleman over the 4 or 5 guys he could have taken at 28. If any of those guys end up being stars he could really look foolish trading back. I hope Coleman pans out.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Or at the very least were OK with picking either.

That's simply the most reasonable assertion if its to be believed. It was relayed in the sense that they not had to pivot, but as mentioned by other posters - by moving up and getting the 5th yr control you'd think it'd be for a 'playmaker' or someone worth it. 

It's like the TLDR is I hope Beane didn't really have the wool pulled over his eyes. A friend in Myrtle Beach says the Panthers seem to have a penchant for drafting local talent. That would be another reason it could have been predicted. But this gist is essentially by choice (both rated equal and the value of the 5th made their decision) or surprise - a pivot had to occur as that wasn't originally what the pick was going to be. Beane said they called him. Maybe your theory is correct in it was going to be A, and then the value added changed it to B.

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

That's simply the most reasonable assertion if its to be believed. It was relayed in the sense that they not had to pivot, but as mentioned by other posters - by moving up and getting the 5th yr control you'd think it'd be for a 'playmaker' or someone worth it. 

It's like the TLDR is I hope Beane didn't really have the wool pulled over his eyes. A friend in Myrtle Beach says the Panthers seem to have a penchant for drafting local talent. That would be another reason it could have been predicted. But this gist is essentially by choice (both rated equal and the value of the 5th made their decision) or surprise - a pivot had to occur as that wasn't originally what the pick was going to be. Beane said they called him. Maybe your theory is correct in it was going to be A, and then the value added changed it to B.

5th year options outside of QBs aren't really that valuable anymore

10 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Of course man, always appreciate a good conversation.  Thx for sharing what you heard.

We will never quite know, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Beane had them basically equal/or very similar ranking.

My source (albeit with Steelers), told me Coleman to Bills about an hour or so prior to draft on Thurs night. 

I think both could be true, Legette and Coleman equally graded and knowing they'd get 1 of them was enough for Beane to move back.  I'd just be genuinely shocked if Beane didn't know exactly who Dan was targeting and all the publicly available info connecting Legette to Car.

I'd been happy with either player, Coleman was highest on my list during the Fall (with Worthy).  I'm not shocked though that Beane decided to go with a big bodied/physical WR, something Josh hasn't had.

I'd like to hope, and I think, you are right. My initial response when I heard it (and didn't initially believe it) was that that's like GMing 101. How do you let someone do that w/o knowing who they will take. It was relayed as if it was a surprise,  but at that point it was also 3rd hand so for simplicity sake maybe that's just how it came off. The good news is, it looks like they both ended up w a good player as well as a player they liked. Again, as they know more than me I'll trust their scouting abilities and it's all good 👍 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Beane said his GPS tracking is more 4.5 than 4.6

I would believe it.  Watch him run the gauntlet -  I don't have "scout's eyes" for estimating speed by sight like @Buffalo716, but it's marked enough that I can see the difference between his speed in the gauntlet when catching footballs is the order of business, -vs- the 40 yd dash where he was trying to run fast.  

Someone said he reached 21 mph in the gauntlet

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

5th year options outside of QBs aren't really that valuable anymore

You are right as you can always sign to an extension or franchise tag, BUT, why then did CAR need to trade up? Simply so Buffalo didn't take the guy they wanted?

18 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I'm not sure whether they had to pivot. There was nothing stopping them picking Legette and rejecting the Panthers offer. I think they simply preferred Coleman's physical attributes.

True, but the entire gist of that particular story is that they had to pivot once that trade occured. Again, it is what it is and the added value of the pick could have made what you say 100% true. But if that's to be believed, for one reason or another, a pivot happened. 

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I would believe it.  Watch him run the gauntlet -  I don't have "scout's eyes" for estimating speed by sight like @Buffalo716, but it's marked enough that I can see the difference between his speed in the gauntlet when catching footballs is the order of business, -vs- the 40 yd dash where he was trying to run fast.  

Someone said he reached 21 mph in the gauntlet

He did and he is a fluid athlete for his size... I think he definitely plays faster than a 4.6 

At 21 mph he certainly can run a fast 100 time... I thought he was a 4.55 guy who who runs smooth

I can see a  Keenan Allen type.. I think they are both smooth bigger guys who are deceptive

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

You are right as you can always sign to an extension or franchise tag, BUT, why then did CAR need to trade up? Simply so Buffalo didn't take the guy they wanted?

True, but the entire gist of that particular story is that they had to pivot once that trade occured. Again, it is what it is and the added value of the pick could have made what you say 100% true. But if that's to be believed, for one reason or another, a pivot happened. 

If true, perhaps the pivot was down to Josh's preference? He wanted Coleman over Legette.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

If true, perhaps the pivot was down to Josh's preference? He wanted Coleman over Legette.

Interesting. I didnt see that. Was that said pre or post draft. Not that it matters, I'm just curious bc we will never get anything but the company line publicly.  In the same sense that every GM will tell you they got their guy. Hell, I was impressed one GM actually admitted their new QB was 2nd on their QB board. That was refreshing in a sea of 'we got the guy we wanted' public responses

For all the crap he's gotten, we literally could have taken Franklin at pick 95 if we'd wanted to, a guy that probably wouldn't have gotten the same backlash, but what are the odds Coleman makes it even close to there?

Edited by Warcodered
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

I doubt the Bills trade without knowing who Carolina is going to pick.

My guess would be the Bills were talking to multiple teams about a trade-up, and Carolina was afraid one of them would draft Legette whom apparently Carolina was known to be high on.  It's possible with Dan Morgan there one of the Bills team reached out and said hey, we're talking to Team X about a trade, you want to beat their offer? and Carolina believed Team X was after Legette, so they did.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Interesting. I didnt see that. Was that said pre or post draft. Not that it matters, I'm just curious bc we will never get anything but the company line publicly.  In the same sense that every GM will tell you they got their guy. Hell, I was impressed one GM actually admitted their new QB was 2nd on their QB board. That was refreshing in a sea of 'we got the guy we wanted' public responses

Posted on X post draft, though Beane said pre-draft they would be speaking to Josh about who he likes.