Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

23 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

49ers seem to have been sending mixed signals about whether Aiyuk or Samuel is available.   Sure seems like one must be, after going wideout in the first round the other day.  

I'd much prefer Aiyuk.  The mix of skillsets he'd create would be a great combination.  Bills already have a Samuel-type; even his name is Samuel. 

Your welcome, but don't put too much stock in it.  I'm happy to write what I think, but that doesn't mean it's correct!

No they don’t. Deebo and Curtis aren’t similar receivers. It feels like last week one guy said that on here and now it just keeps getting repeated.

Curtis Samuel has very little ability to play outside. He doesn’t have the size or strength to be effective there with any regularity. 

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I wonder if any receiver would be good enough for the majority of you here... it seems like we have a good story with him popping up everywhere and already he's not nearly good enough and he hasn't even played a single down yet. 

I think the majority of this fanbase just wants another legitimate WR. 

There are some who won't be satisfied unless we bring in a WR1 and I think that's misguided.

However, we've now seen two seasons where our WR room failed us in the biggest moments.  Two years ago, entering the playoffs, we were signing street FA's to play meaningful snaps.  Then, last year, Davis gets hurt at the end of the season and Josh Allen WR3 is Trent Sherfield, who gave us literally nothing against the Chiefs.  

For me, personally, if we would've double dipped at WR in a meaningful round, I would've LOVED this Draft.   If we sign an OBJ, Gallup, MVS or Boyd in June, I'll feel a lot better about this Draft.  

I don't think we need an Aiyuk, but I do think we need one more solid piece to rotate in at WR4 and finally give us some depth.  

Chiefs, Bengals, Ravens, Jets all have a WR4 that's either a solid vet or recent meaningful draft pick.  I was/am just hoping for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

Just a reminder...

This reminds me of Josh Allen pick and how we should have taken Rosen he was accurate and NFL ready , 

Allen with 56% completion is a bust and will be out of the NFL in 3 years 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

No matter how much Diggs stats decreased, he still had to be a focus of the defense.   That is now gone. 

I dont think that was the case as much last year - or at least as the year wore on

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Good point.  Looks a lot like Cooper Kupp, Puka Nacua, and Demarcus Robinson, before they became a deadly combination.  Or St. Brown, Reynolds, LaPorta, and Raymond. Kelce, Rice, Valdez-Scantling, Watson.  The style of offense these teams are playing, and getting good production in the passing game, is not dependent of big name receivers.   It's a style that repeatedly leverages the defense in ways that allow good athletes to get open.  Shakir, Samuel, Coleman, and Kincaid are good athletes and they will get open.  

bUt WhAt AbOuT tHe BeNgAlS?

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think the majority of this fanbase just wants another legitimate WR. 

There are some who won't be satisfied unless we bring in a WR1 and I think that's misguided.

However, we've now seen two seasons where our WR room failed us in the biggest moments.  Two years ago, entering the playoffs, we were signing street FA's to play meaningful snaps.  Then, last year, Davis gets hurt at the end of the season and Josh Allen WR3 is Trent Sherfield, who gave us literally nothing against the Chiefs.  

For me, personally, if we would've double dipped at WR in a meaningful round, I would've LOVED this Draft.   If we sign an OBJ, Gallup, MVS or Boyd in June, I'll feel a lot better about this Draft.  

I don't think we need an Aiyuk, but I do think we need one more solid piece to rotate in at WR4 and finally give us some depth.  

Chiefs, Bengals, Ravens, Jets all have a WR4 that's either a solid vet or recent meaningful draft pick.  I was/am just hoping for that. 

OBJ thing seems inevitable at some point. But I do think they will add one more piece to the room in June. 

3 hours ago, bills6969 said:

I think a good comp for Keon is Michael Pittman Jr.

both big receivers, play faster than 40 times (Pittman ran a 4.52).

I think Dez Bryant is another good comp.

Also, more data to show his game day speed 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

I think Dez Bryant is another good comp.

Also, more data to show his game day speed 

It's amazing to me the "BuT sLoW 40 TiMe!" crowd just keeps ignoring all this other data that shows his game speed is elite (and also ignore he ran 4.5 on his pro day)

• Like (+1) 1

I'm with those that think we should have one more legit WR threat on the team.  Hopefully, that can still get done in some fashion.  I understand why there was not a double dip this year becasue there were too many holes to fill on the roster.  That's on Beane.  

With regard to Coleman's ability to be an X receiver, I agree with those that think there is too much emphasis on 40 times.  His playing speed is faster, as has been noted by others.  Now, he's not going to line up outside and beat man coverage runnng a fly route, but back shoulder, double move, and any other routes can be wins for him.  He's big, agile, excellent hands, can jump, and has the right attitude.  He's also only 20, and wait until his footwork gets even better.  I like him the more I see him and what he did in college.     

Edited by JimmyNoodles
  • Like (+1) 1

For those assuming that Coleman will be bad because of his 40 time

Antonio Brown 4.56

Davante Adams 4.56

Chad Johnson 4.57

Cooper Kupp 4.62

Larry Fitzgerald 4.63

Chris Carter 4.63

Anquan Boldin 4.71

Jerry Rice 4.71

• Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Mango said:

No they don’t. Deebo and Curtis aren’t similar receivers. It feels like last week one guy said that on here and now it just keeps getting repeated.

Curtis Samuel has very little ability to play outside. He doesn’t have the size or strength to be effective there with any regularity. 

I said it, not last week, but when the Bills signed him.   

He is NOT going to play strictly out of the slot.   I'm sure of that.  

2 minutes ago, 86poker said:

For those assuming that Coleman will be bad because of his 40 time

Antonio Brown 4.56

Davante Adams 4.56

Chad Johnson 4.57

Cooper Kupp 4.62

Larry Fitzgerald 4.63

Chris Carter 4.63

Anquan Boldin 4.71

Jerry Rice 4.71

Ocho said he thinks Keon can be Top 10 by year 2.   

I want to like this pick.  I'm trying real hard to.

I hope Keon looks the part in mini camp 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mango said:

bUt WhAt AbOuT tHe BeNgAlS?

If you're serious, the thing about the Bengals is that what they did  was an accident of timing.   You simply can't run your franchise expecting that you can decide to have a receiver room like the Bengals have had and then just do it.   Timing allowed them to keep Boyd, then get the other two.   Certainly it's happened, and we've seen some other great receiver rooms come and go, but if I tried to build a team around that model, I could be waiting a long time before I have that kind of combo.  Lots of pieces fell together for the Bengals.  

1 hour ago, JohninMinn. said:

All I can see is 4.61 40 time and the Devin Singletary of wide receivers. No breakaways. No outrunning anybody. Running to contact to avoid being exposed.

Then open your eyes my friend. He's got lots of positives

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If you're serious, the thing about the Bengals is that what they did  was an accident of timing.   You simply can't run your franchise expecting that you can decide to have a receiver room like the Bengals have had and then just do it.   Timing allowed them to keep Boyd, then get the other two.   Certainly it's happened, and we've seen some other great receiver rooms come and go, but if I tried to build a team around that model, I could be waiting a long time before I have that kind of combo.  Lots of pieces fell together for the Bengals.  

I agree with you. The alternating upper and lowercase means I’m making fun of those people/sarcasm. 

2 hours ago, DJB said:

True but that’ doesnt mean we need to ignore better talent to go along with this offensive philosophy 

And who at this point is "better talent"?

I think at the end of day Buffalo did the work on all the wrs.  Met with Franklin pretty much every step of the process.  Buffalo brass and Allen went with Coleman.  You can look at the positive of the pick or the neg that probably comes down to how you fan.  His RAS score is over 9.  Before Travis got hurt he was routinely projected as a top 10 pick.  I think we are at the point to get behind the kid and see if he can meet his potential.   Allen couldnt improve his 58% completion too.

10 minutes ago, wettlaufer said:

Chill out, worry warts.

image.thumb.png.f4de7e8c986ba1c09423c3cf089567f0.png

Rappaport said unofficial he ran 4.53 after the combine for scouts. Idk if pro day or private work out.  Beane said their data showed 4.5 not 4.6.  Moulds and Bryant are some positive comps.  Both big wrs with return ability in college.  That is what Buffalo is projecting him to be. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1