Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

56 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Agreed. No more timid scaredy cats. Coleman is a very impressive looking human being for a 20 year old. Jesus. He seems very serious about his craft and winning. I’m going full homer here but I see that crazy focus, and cut the BS glare in his eyes. 

I like the personalities we are putting on the field. Dawson and Brown, Torrence, are demonstratively badasses. Coleman toughens up the WR group. It’s okay that Kincaid is a Cinderella type because Knox knocks. This new RB is supposed to be a mean man. Bernard obviously, the new safety,  Crazy Ed Oliver. Daquan. 

Can someone with a line to Beane get him to produce a brawler punter. That’d be huge. 

😂

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The time to yardage ratio in speed is interesting to me.

Tee Higgins for example ran a 4.52 in the 40. Keon Coleman ran a 4.61. Yet when it came to the 10 yard split - Coleman ran it in 1.54 while Higgins ran it in 1.66.

Subsequently, everyone's favorite WR Troy Franklin beat them both in the 40 by a good percentage at 4.41. But getting up to that top speed takes him longer than it does Coleman as he ran his 10 yard in 1.61.

Some guys reach their top speed faster than others. Coleman while lacking in long end speed, he reaches that top speed quicker than both of them - which makes up for a lot, getting off the line quicker.

While he ran a slow 40 - he was the fastest Gauntlet and ran it EXTREMELY smooth:

Everyone's focusing on the 40. But there's much more to the story than that. His play speed is very good.

I remember when Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7 then set the league on fire as a rookie.

• Like (+1) 2

With so many draft eligible wide receivers.. it's kind of hard to always get a grasp on how you feel for scheme fit and how they fit in 

24 hours later... I'm getting pretty pumped.. we're getting a dual sport athlete... He played basketball and football at Michigan State... Could have played basketball and football at Kansas 

Do you know how hard it is to get Kansas to let you play basketball there?

You have to be phenomenal athlete...

He's smooth... A hands catcher... Runs better routes than Gabe Davis 

And he's pushing 6'3 220 lb with a 38 inch vertical 

Hes closer to Keenan Allen or Vincent Jackson then he is James Hardy

• Like (+1) 5

The greatest WR of all time had a 4.6 40 time.  His name was Jerry Rice.  Hear of him?  

No I am not trying to compare him to Jerry Rice.  40 times aren't as important.  

Did anyone actually watch any tap?  do you understand what the Bills have for WR right now?  They are looking for a big receiver with good hands who can move the sticks and not somewho who can run a 4.2 and catch a football underhanded like a basket.  

Get real.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

That was definitely Albert Pujols, obviously different sport, but that will never be topped.

Guy was Babe Ruth for like eight seasons.

I got lucky once.. long established dynasty FF league, after initial draft, we hold rounds rounds a year for rookies and FAs. I happened to grab JA17, as Mr Irrelevant. Now I need WRs 😂

“Thanks to his basketball background, Coleman “big brothers” cornerbacks up and down the field using size, strength and athleticism. But what really separates him as a pass catcher is his dominance with the ball in the air. Not only can he overpower defenders at the catch point, but he also makes leaping acrobatic stabs appear routine with his natural body control and extraordinary catch radius.“

This sounds like the perfect WR for Josh.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Agreed. No more timid scaredy cats. Coleman is a very impressive looking human being for a 20 year old. Jesus. He seems very serious about his craft and winning. I’m going full homer here but I see that crazy focus, and cut the BS glare in his eyes. 

I like the personalities we are putting on the field. Dawson and Brown, Torrence, are demonstratively badasses. Coleman toughens up the WR group. It’s okay that Kincaid is a Cinderella type because Knox knocks. This new RB is supposed to be a mean man. Bernard obviously, the new safety,  Crazy Ed Oliver. Daquan. 

Can someone with a line to Beane get him to produce a brawler punter. That’d be huge. 

You can add Van Pran to that list.

• Like (+1) 2

the more i watch of him, the more I love the pick. He could be a superstar year 1. Could totally see Allen launching bombs and Coleman bullying the DBs , a contested catch machine.

I'm glad they didn't add a WR like Shakir or Samuel and added 1 that gives the O a whole new dimension 

• Like (+1) 1

I am won over...Remember it's much harder to find an X...I started a Troy Franklin thread AFTER we drafted this guy and admittedly wanted him under Denver took him{smart move Nix/Franklin, keeping it rollin'). This kid is 20? The peak has yet to be in sight. Great attitude, takes things seriously yet has fun while doing it. I like this pick and player and for those who say "couldn't they have waited...NO the pats wanted him, traded out of that spot after we took him, LET the chargers take  McConkey and then snag the other WR I initially wanted other than Franklin...Polk...So I have a keen eye on these 3 players and look to see how

they fare.

Edited by Craig Oi

7 hours ago, Haplo848 said:

I'm rather amused at all the people who think Keon Coleman is slow. Dude plays at speed. He had the fastest speed of anyone during the gauntlet drill in the past 2 years at the combine, which reflects actual play speed much more than the 40 does. He was even faster than Puka Nacua last year.

Did anyone actually go and watch his 40? Dude's simply not a track star. He started slow because coming out of his stance, he popped up instead of bursting forward. If he had spent more time on the track with someone who knew what they were doing, and could help him with a better start out of his stance, spending time fixing an issue that in no way actually relates to football, he likely would have shaved AT LEAST 0.1 seconds off, likely more. And no one would be talking about him being slow. But they look at that number, decide he's slow, and ignore everything else, especially his play speed.

He LOOKS slow when he's running because his legs don't seem to be moving as fast as you're used to, but when he's trying to outrun people, his stride lengthens, and with his long legs, every one of his strides eats up distance, and he covers ground at a surprising rate.

I agree wholeheartedly, and I have zero doubt that Beane did his homework and saw this too. It also explains why he looks like he plays faster on the field. 

And please don't forget his basketball background, and how that will play into his game as a receiver. This kid is going to be fun to watch, and his teammates are going to love him.

We've reached EJ Manuel level of mental gymnastics to try and convince ourselves he's going to be good.

Watching his targets and catches, this kid consistently has DBs draped all over him. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

My biggest issue with this pick is he doesn't fit the type of WR Allen will throw to. 

Keon is never going to get separation, he just won't.  He isn't twitchy enough to do so.  He won't be able to learn it and it's not coming with more reps.  It's never going to be there.

Will Allen throw to a guy that is considered covered?  It's going to take throwing with anticipation  because the ball needs to be high before the defender cant get his position or head around. 

Allen has never shown the desire to do either of these things on a consistent basis.  He would rather run around and wait for a guy to get opened, rather that reading the play and throwing it before guys get separation.

It's just a terrible fit.  His ability to win is also going to come from the slot, so now we have ANOTHER slot guy.

Edited by Back2Buff
  • Haha (+1) 1