Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yep 

The draft is an inexact science. Recent early WRs have been good (Chase, Wilson, Olave, Flowers, Addison, etc..). The top 3 guys in this draft have graded out as high or higher than any WR in the previous 2 drafts. There is no sure thing but not everyone has the same likelihood to succeed either. 

I doubt we will be moving high enough to draft one of tge top 3 wrs.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I don't understand why people are enamored with Worthy. He is sooo skinny and one trick and that is NOT the kind of receiver we need. We lose to the Chiefs because we can't get off the line. We would probably have the smallest receiving corps in the NFL if we draft him. He will be a monumental bust, IMO. 

There is next to 0 chance Beane takes Worthy. 

I think saying there is "next to 0 chance Beane takes Worthy", when the Bills have clearly done a lot of work with him and met with him -- including some late-in-the-process extra work -- is silly. YOU may not like him, and if it makes you feel better to convince yourself that there's "next to 0 chance" of the Bills drafting him, that's fine. But the reality of the situation is that it's very much a possibility.

As for him being a massive bust: I disagree. All this "he'll never get off the line" stuff completely ignores the way modern NFL offenses scheme receivers open. It completely ignores the recent success of guys like Tyreek Hill, Zay Flowers, and Hollywood Brown. It ignores the success of offenses like the Dolphins.

The modern NFL game is all about speed. Speed, speed, speed. It's one of the hardest things to defend. Having a guy who can both take the top off a defense and open things up for the players underneath AND be explosive in terms of RAC is hugely important. It's not just me saying it. Beane and McDermott both spent the offseason talking about adding speed, explosivity, and RAC to the offense. Worthy has all of those things. He also has three years of quality production at Texas.

He is NOT a "straight line speed only", one trick pony. He has lateral quickness, route running ability, toughness, and smarts.

We can agree to disagree on the issue. I think Worthy is gonna be a very good player, and I think he would make perfect sense as the Bills' preferred choice.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When you have Josh Allen at Quarterback I think one may well lead to the other. 

I'm not saying the Bills have to trade into the top 10. I was responding to the idea that a first round receiver pick wouldn't necessarily be the #1. I think it is very likely someone they take at #28 would be the #1 receiver in 2024. It is almost a guarantee someone they traded into the top 10 for would be the #1 on this team in 2024. 

Well, it's certainly not impossible that one leads to the other. But Allen or not, that's not the way to bet. Improve the whole team. The passing game should certainly be part of that. But not to the point of trading away high-level picks. The way to improve is to have more picks, as many as possible at a high-level. 

As for your original intent, sorry about that. I was over-focused. Yeah, I agree that someone they take at #28 would likely be the #1 WR if he stays healthy and things go as expected. (Though sometimes guys get hurt and sometimes things don't go as expected.)

But yeah, anyone they draft in the first would be expected to be the #1 next year. 

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I also buy that he cut down to 165 lbs just so he could break that record but usually plays closer to 175. 

Well,  that's kind of raises another question.  Do the Bills see him as someone that plays his career at 165,  or do they think they can get him into the 175-180 range over the next couple of years and still retain elite speed and quickness?  

In all reality, what the hell else would they be doing, when even we all know WR is the biggest priority for the teams competitive health going forward…?  It’s the proverbial no brainer,

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This year and next. They will have cap space to make some moves for 2025 though. 

Exactly. That is another reason why I’m okay with moving into the top 10. We will actually have some cap space in 2025 to fill holes in FA. 

Just now, Don Otreply said:

In all reality, what the hell else would they be doing, when even we all know WR is the biggest priority for the teams competitive health going forward…?  It’s the proverbial no brainer,

I think there's an outside chance they might make a modest move up the board for Latu,  in particular,   if they're satisfied with the medicals.  Top 10 pass rushing prospect most years available at something of a bargain price...I can see McDermott and Beane being highly interested.  

I'd much prefer a WR,  but I wouldn't be shocked by that. 

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

For several years if they trade future picks.

Playing it safe most years is partly why they've ended their season with a Divisional Round loss three years running.  Yet, the one time this regime went big on draft in 2018 they landed Josh.  Credit to McBeane for being bold and positioning themselves to move up for JA.  You can't do that every year, but there's a time and a place for it, notably QB and now WR.  Fortune favors the bold. 

The NFL remains an offensive-driven league and I'm not sure how people keep missing this.  You don't get as far with a pedestrian or even decent offense and a regular season excellent defense in the playoffs.  The strategy hasn't worked in years.    

Other thing is to what's happening in the background.  No, this isn't Whaley and Brandon using future picks they might never have had after RW passed away which has been pointed to in this thread.  But it probably isn't lost on McBeane that they are selling PSL's, a new stadium is going in, and they need to win.  I don't think Terry is as hands-on with the Bills, but that's a factor, even if distant.  McBeane should take a calculated risk, if they deem the player worth it, because Josh deserves more than what is on the roster now.   

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think there's an outside chance they might make a modest move up the board for Latu,  in particular,   if they're satisfied with the medicals.  Top 10 pass rushing prospect most years available at something of a bargain price...I can see McDermott and Beane being highly interested.  

I'd much prefer a WR,  but I wouldn't be shocked by that. 

I’d be hesitant to take a guy with a chronic neck issue, from what little I’ve read he has had to alter his technique to prevent further injury…,  not a good sign, but what the hell do I know…👍

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’d be hesitant to take a guy with a chronic neck issue, from what little I’ve read he has had to alter his technique to prevent further injury…,  not a good sign, but what the hell do I know…👍

Same,  and that's why I added the caveat regarding the Bills' assessment of his medicals.  

• Like (+1) 1

Today on WGR, they were talking about someone they trust from the Athletic saying the Bills are trying to trade up into the top 10 for Rome Odunze

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Man, if it is true that the player had to alter his technique to not risk a catastrophic career ending 2nd neck injury then I’m shocked he’s still a mid 1st round pick by most accounts.

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Today on WGR, they were talking about someone they trust from the Athletic saying the Bills are trying to trade up into the top 10 for Rome Odunze

Please baby Jesus let this happen and allow our new chosen one to catch 10 for 150 and 2TDs at Houston on Sunday night football while dismantling the Texans and Diggs.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Exactly. That is another reason why I’m okay with moving into the top 10. We will actually have some cap space in 2025 to fill holes in FA. 

Next offseason it’ll be easier to sell FAs on the team too. We would already have an explosive, complete offense and would just need some defensive playmakers to round out a SB caliber roster. 

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Wow....I'll have to look for that. The suspense is killing me.  Tomorrow can't come soon enough. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, julian said:

Man, if it is true that the player had to alter his technique to not risk a catastrophic career ending 2nd neck injury then I’m shocked he’s still a mid 1st round pick by most accounts.

From what I read…,  I can not attest to the article s veracity, 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It’s not surprising to me as he’s an immediate # 1 Buffalo type guy just can they find the right match for the right price

27 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I doubt we will be moving high enough to draft one of tge top 3 wrs.

Thank you.  No one in the top 10 is interested in moving to 28, and the Bills’ first next year is a devalued asset because the assumption is that it too will be a late pick.   A move up to the mid-teens is possible, but that’s about it.  Although I do think it’s possible that Odunze slides to that part of the draft…