Our ball coach said they are looking for match-up problems at WR…here’s a quick review of 20

10 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I don't think there was a compelling thing about what McDermott said and nothing leading towards how that would translate to which WR they draft.

I agree it's not indicative of anything in regards to their draft plans. First of all, a matchup problem is just a guy with any special trait that helps them dominate (speed, strength, overall athleticism). Second of all, he says Kincaid can be that matchup problem. So, what I get from this is that they could take a WR in one of the first two rounds or not at all....

🤷‍♂️

• Sad 1

Guys who will be there for us, guys I see as match-up problems, if we don't trade up for any of the big 3:

Xavier Legette

AD Mitchell

Malachi Corley

Troy Franklin

• Like (+1) 7
  • Dislike 1

I do hope they aren’t targeting guys that are easy to match up against 

whether fast, big, great at routes, shifty, great at reading defenses, a high pointer with great hands… 

I hope he stresses defenses a few different ways

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I do hope they aren’t targeting guys that are easy to match up against 

whether fast, big, great at routes, shifty, great at reading defenses, a high pointer with great hands… 

I hope he stresses defenses a few different ways

Id like to double dip to ensure this. Mcconky or pearsel would be great 

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree it's not indicative of anything in regards to their draft plans. First of all, a matchup problem is just a guy with any special trait that helps them dominate (speed, strength, overall athleticism). Second of all, he says Kincaid can be that matchup problem. So, what I get from this is that they could take a WR in one of the first two rounds or not at all....

🤷‍♂️

Agree.  A matchup problem is everything you've said.  McDermott didn't drop a nugget by saying something compelling, as he suggested.

Legette is intriguing, but scary. He seems to pass the eye test on the field, but he's terrible against press man and doesn't run good routes.

He'd either need a creative OC (we don't know what we have in Brady), or coaching/development (he's already 23 years old).

He sure as hell is fun to watch with the ball in his hands, though.

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

I'm not a draft guru so I can't pick names but if we double dip at WR I would be happy as well

After listening to Joe, a double dip

intrigues me too, even if it’s trading up from the 4th to get a 2nd WR prospect that’s lingering into the 3rd round.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Speed is a mismatch and the 4.21 Cheetah like speed of Xavier Worthy would be just that.

I know he's small but if Brady could design plays that get him off the line unmolested, he could be the mismatch. I could see him tracking down the 60 yard JA17 bomb with the nearest defender 10 yards behind him and falling further back.

Then draft Legette in the 2nd and the X-Men Offense is born.
😁

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Speed is a mismatch and the 4.21 Cheetah like speed of Xavier Worthy would be just that.

I know he's small but if Brady could design plays that get him off the line unmolested, he could be the mismatch. I could see him tracking down the 60 yard JA17 bomb with the nearest defender 10 yards behind him and falling further back.

😁

The problem with this "if Brady could just design plays that get him off the line unmolested" thing, is that we already have 3 guys on the roster who are great, if Brady could just design plays that get him off the line unmolested.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Aren't most if not all teams looking for match-up problems for their WRs.  That's the most effective way to have a highly effective passing game.  

Sure. But most teams don't have QBs whose throws cover the entire field. Whats the benefit of a good boundary receiver if the QB needs to get a running start and heave it with all power to only rainbow a pass to him? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

😁

His speed is undeniable but watching his tape there's a few things I don't trust regarding his hands and route running. Will he be durable?

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Sure. But most teams don't have QBs whose throws cover the entire field. Whats the benefit of a good boundary receiver if the QB needs to get a running start and heave it with all power to only rainbow a pass to him? 

Well yeah, that's if your "match-up" options are purely speed on flyers.  

There are a number of ways that mismatches/match-up problems are created.  

Point being, how many GMs/Coaches do you know that say that they don't care if their WRs create any kind of mismatch.  That's what every game-plan is about except for perhaps the very few teams without a competent QB that you implicate.  

:) 

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The problem with this "if Brady could just design plays that get him off the line unmolested" thing, is that we already have 3 guys on the roster who are great, if Brady could just design plays that get him off the line unmolested.

But do they have 4.21 Cheetah speed ?

Even outside of the top 3+1, Worthy wouldn't be on the top of my list, just playing devil's advocate on his speed. Gotta admit it would be fun watching him run down a Josh missile launch.

Having two boundary receiver that must be paid attention to by opposing defenses will loosen up coverage for all our pass catchers, it’s a no brainer decision for Beane, just another one of my opinions…, 😁👍

On 4/22/2024 at 6:21 AM, PBF81 said:

Aren't most if not all teams looking for match-up problems for their WRs.  That's the most effective way to have a highly effective passing game.  

Yeah, that quote was a nothing burger if we're using it to try to predict the draft.  Every HC and OC wants receivers who present matchup problems. 

The comment told us nothing about the future, but it might have told us something about the past.  I'm guessing McD didn't think we gave opponents enough matchup problems last year.  I saw some analytics that showed both Davis and Diggs were below the NFL average in separation.  

I'm 65 but can still catch a football.  If there were teams that didn't care about matchup problems and my 6-minute 40 time, I'd have a shot!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Yeah, that quote was a nothing burger if we're using it to try to predict the draft.  Every HC and OC wants receivers who present matchup problems. 

The comment told us nothing about the future, but it might have told us something about the past.  I'm guessing McD didn't think we gave opponents enough matchup problems last year.  I saw some analytics that showed both Davis and Diggs were below the NFL average in separation.  

I'm 65 but can still catch a football.  If there were teams that didn't care about matchup problems and my 6-minute 40 time, I'd have a shot!  

Well yeah, I'm with you there, waddling down the field like a penguin en route to a 6-min 40 time.  LOL  

As to Diggs, I'm simply not seeing what everyone else that makes that claim is.  

I pulled down one random game, the last game of the RS, @ Miami.  Here's the highlights below.  

Early in the video Diggs beats Ramsey by several yards but Allen overthrows him by a mile, shortly thereafter he has Apple beat.  Two decent DBs.  Later on he dusts another DB.  

At the 9:38 mark Allen throws it to Shakir, but Diggs has his man beat down the right sideline, if Allen hits him it's a TD.  On a few other plays Brady's got Diggs running laterally across the backfield from the snap, which makes me wonder.  There was a LOT of that on Brady's watch.  

So yeah, I get the narrative that Diggs has lost a step," but I'm not seeing it, at least nowhere near as dramatically as people say.  In this game alone there were two plays, and that's only from a highlight video, not the entire game, whereby Diggs would have posted a pair of TDs had Allen first not drastically overthrown him, and secondly gone to him rather than Shakir OTM.  That was at the end of the season, when Diggs was supposed to have been the most washed up.  

This season's going to be very interesting watching Diggs in Houston and what Brady does here.  

• Like (+1) 1