Are we really going to miss any of the departed players?

In the long run we are going to be fine.

Are we going to experience some growing pains without all of these guys this upcoming season?  In my opinion, Yes.  We have no idea what to expect out of McGovern as a starting C for the first time in his career.  I expect there to be some communication issues amongst the new safeties as they take over the reigns.  I trust Beane to hit on some draft picks this year but there's always that rookie learning curve where you have to keep your expectations reasonable what those guys are going to come in here and do right away.  I think there's alot of fans that lean on the highly optimistic point of view thinking we are going to be this highly upgraded team this year where I see it as more of a growing pains kind of year although I do expect us to be pretty competitive.  We have too much talent to be a bad team.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The question of Elite players keeps coming up and is a fair question.  Besides Milano (when healthy) and Taron Johnson, who is the elite player on the Bils defense? Trying to be objective, I think the answer is potentially Benard.  Being "elite" is also a very hard question.  Neither Hyde or Poyer were considered elite when the Bills signed them.  

On offense, I think we have elite players.  Allen, Cook, Dawkins, and Kincaid are all elite players.  Torrence and possibly Shakir have that potential as well if they build on last season.  Cook finished 4th in rushing and 3rd in scrimmage yards by a RB last season.  That's elite production.  

You’re very generous with the word elite. I’d say for elite we have josh and MAYBE Milano. The rest of those players are good/borderline pro bowl with Kincaid flashing potential. 

We could use a Kam chancellor type safety and an in-his-prime von miller. 

I agree that we won't miss most of the dearly departed.  But I'll comment on a couple of positions where we have worries.

Diggs.  The OP wrote:  "He [Diggs] also was clearly no longer a fit in a Joe Brady offense."  This is clearly true but maybe because Brady didn't know how to utilize Diggs's talents.  Diggs was far more effective under Daboll and Dorsey than Brady.   Brady spread the ball around better than Dorsey but he didn't statistically spike yards or points.  Schematically, Brady didn't seem any better at creating downfield separation.  The misfit between Brady and Diggs is as much a Brady problem as a Diggs problem.  Maybe more.  It's the OC's job to maximize the production of his players.  I'm curious to see what Brady can do with a full offseason but I don't see a lot of objective reasons to be optimistic.  Brady is not (yet) a proven commodity as an OC.  

Secondary.  We won't miss Hyde, Poyer, and White a whole lot because they were hampered by age and injuries last year.  But I'm not looking for a secondary that equals last year's disappointing performance.  I'm hoping for a secondary that can get us to the Super Bowl.  I won't miss last year's versions of Hyde, Poyer and White but I will miss the versions of Hyde, Poyer, and White that once anchored perhaps the best secondary in the league.  

• Like (+1) 1

I've been a Bills fan since 1980. I've seen them come, I've seen them go.

For me, the Salary Cap dump of 1999 hurt the most.

Sometimes their departure stings. But it stings like ripping off a Band-Aid, it hurts for a moment, then goes away.

I doubt many here will rue the departure of Diggs next January, except for a few of the "I told you so" types.

• Like (+1) 1

Personnel changes happen every year.  Some years more than others.  These players were good Bills and gave us some exciting times as fans.  We all had hoped they could bring home a championship.  It didn't happen.  Players don't last long.  It's just the nature of the game plus the salary cap.  I'll miss Tre White though.  Before his injuries, he was really good and he was fun and funny.  Yep gonna miss Tre.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Morse, as an understated true leader and player will be missed imo. Also, the League-wide respect for the Hyde & Poyer tandem will be sorely missed. Al these losses will have negative impact on the teams’ performance, even if only subtly.

Which is it?

• Eyeroll 1

I will miss a lot of the veteran players that Beane moved on from.

In the long run it's what has to happen to an aging team.  I think it would have been bad to have all these guys return especially if

the end result was worse than last season.

It's a bit of a reset with a fresh start.  Time for some of the young guys to step up!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

link?

What is your proof to assert that the “Jets are loaded”? How many championships has their roster, coach, or FO, produced? How many playoff appearances? How many wins? It’s just hype until they prove otherwise.

10 minutes ago, vincec said:

What is your proof to assert that the “Jets are loaded”? How many championships has their roster, coach, or FO, produced? How many playoff appearances? How many wins? It’s just hype until they prove otherwise.

Do you really think the Bills have better talent than the Jets?

The Jets are clearly all in this season, and absolutely rolling the dice on big name guys that have major health concerns. But if they can stay healthy…. (Huge if) they may have the best talent in the AFCE, arguably.

Morse is still a good Center, but from people who breakdown tape.. he was struggling more and more at anchoring against certain alignments & certain types of DT’s last year. 

Diggs could be addition by subtraction, depending on what we do at WR, but in terms of skill & this year only, we could’ve done whatever we decide to do plus have Diggs.   So unless we absolutely crush it in bringing in not one, but two WR’s that ball out, we probably will miss Diggs .. strictly talent wise.   I’ll hold off judgment until I see what our WR room 1-4 looks like.  

Everywhere else, honestly no.. I don’t think we miss Tre, Hyde, Poyer, Floyd, Gabe, Bates etc.  We had gotten used to life without Tre, Hyde & Poyer were solid last year.. that’s it, Floyd vanished halfway through the season and Gabe, see my comments above about Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Diggs.  The OP wrote:  "He [Diggs] also was clearly no longer a fit in a Joe Brady offense."  This is clearly true but maybe because Brady didn't know how to utilize Diggs's talents.  Diggs was far more effective under Daboll and Dorsey than Brady.   Brady spread the ball around better than Dorsey but he didn't statistically spike yards or points.  Schematically, Brady didn't seem any better at creating downfield separation.  The misfit between Brady and Diggs is as much a Brady problem as a Diggs problem.  Maybe more.  It's the OC's job to maximize the production of his players.  I'm curious to see what Brady can do with a full offseason but I don't see a lot of objective reasons to be optimistic.  Brady is not (yet) a proven commodity as an OC.  

What I can't get over is the drop in Diggs' catch %.  I don't think that has anything to do with Brady, and everything to do with Diggs.  

It's also not like Diggs stopped being the focus of the passing attack under Brady.  Diggs was targeted 111 times from week 7 through the playoffs.  Kincaid was targeted 83 times and Shakir 52.  The difference was Diggs had 636 yards on his 111 targets, Kincaid 659 on his 83 targets and Shakir 646 on his 52.  Hard to blame Brady when Diggs wasn't being effective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

What I can't get over is the drop in Diggs' catch %.  I don't think that has anything to do with Brady, and everything to do with Diggs.  

It's also not like Diggs stopped being the focus of the passing attack under Brady.  Diggs was targeted 111 times from week 7 through the playoffs.  Kincaid was targeted 83 times and Shakir 52.  The difference was Diggs had 636 yards on his 111 targets, Kincaid 659 on his 83 targets and Shakir 646 on his 52.  Hard to blame Brady when Diggs wasn't being effective.

More and more it looks like Diggs just checked out.  

The lack of focus could explain the drops.  The quote from Norman about Diggs just taking himself out.  The snap percentage reflecting games where Trent Sherfield, of all people, out-snapped him. 

I think he just quit on us. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BBFL said:

3-4 years ago? I’d even take the player we saw last year even if it was primarily the first 9 weeks. That’s just me though. 

well...when u got a hot gf that constantly stirs the pot no longer puts out for the most part its usually time to move on..regardless of how 

hot she is.   

25 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

well...when u got a hot gf that constantly stirs the pot no longer puts out for the most part its usually time to move on..regardless of how 

hot she is.   

Then you end up with just benefits. Diggs coming back for a bit of fun next season then?

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I said they seem loaded on paper.  Everything else in your response is immaterial