McDermott is feeling the pressure

5 hours ago, freddyjj said:

@Ethan in Cleveland I dunno, maybe move out of Cleveland to improve your perspective?

Yeah, @Ethan in Cleveland, I hear The Browns have global marketing rights in Nigeria:

They may just need an insightful poster like you to head up their message boards, over there. Opportunity knocks, OP! Get 'er done.

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I honestly don't give a **** anymore.  Terry likes him and is sticking with him regardless of what he does.  

And what part of Terry doesn't give a damn about the fan base is missed by fans?  The Sabers flat suck.  Terry didn't listen to what the fans wanted for the stadium and is now sticking it to the fans on PSL'S. 

He is just another Billionaire taking advantage of a fanbase.  But hey...the Bills are still in Buffalo right?

Ahh Terry is retaining the head coach who has the team in the divisional round of the playoffs every year as a minimum instead of turning the Bills into the dysfunctional garbage Sabres org with the constant hiring and firing. The humanity! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The press has questioned McD about the Bills not reaching the SB.  One inferred that since Josh has not yet reached the SB, he hasn't been successsful.  McD defended him saying it was a narrow minded view to suggest the SB as the only crriteria for success.  He offered that Josh has been successful and the Bills have been successful.   However, he continued with "they need to take the next step."

They played the footage on NFL Live and the question was posed to Sam Acho and Mina KImes whether they agreed with McD.  Interestingly, they did, reasoning that if the only criteria to define success is winning a SB, there are very few successful teams.  They also cited the 17 year drought and the strides the Bills have taken since McD got here and Josh was drafted.  Like this board, they stated that unfortunately the Bills got successful at the same time Mahomes was drafted by KC.  So...there is another step to be taken beyond their current success.  Mina talked about the current roster more favorably than what has been offered by the media since all of the cuts had occurred.  She mentioned their need to get younger, and then cited their loss of talent...which to me was rather contrary since the players they've moved on from are largely the older players.   Still...I was appreciative of the positive comments.

• Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

My bias against McDermott is well documented. 

Wondering how others view his post-season PC and recent interview calling critics narrow minded. He also stated its hard to win in the NFL. I recall a prior HC pilloried on this site for saying the exact same words. 

My take on the PC was that he was very defensive. Without even being asked. He launched into a defense of his tenure as coach even dating back to prior seasons. 

And now he calls critics narrow minded for wondering if the Bills will win a SB with him as HC. You have to belive at this point the thought has crossed Beane and Pegula's mind. He's trying to defend at best status quo to perhaps taking a step or two back from 13 seconds. 

Then the most ridiculous statement of all. 

"We're looking for Josh to really be that face of the franchise, like he's been, and continue to evolve." 

I mean WTF. What team has he been coaching? Does he think Hyde and Poyer were the face of the franchise?? Is he trying to lay blame on Allen? Without Allen McDermott might be coaching DBs in Kansas City.  Was Allen on the field when the defense crumbled multiple times against Denver,Philadelphia, and others. KC only stopped themselves in the playoff game. If not for a goal line fumble the Bills are not even close in that game. 

It may not seem that I'm open minded but I really try. I've gave McDermott praise many times last year.

So what does the board think? 

For those that crucified Jauron how do you take the It’s hard to win in the NFL line?

For those that defend McDermott, what do you all think?

The huge difference is that Jauron didn’t win sh-t, he barely had winning records, where as McDermott has won The AFCE repeatedly and goes to the playoffs annually, this coming from a fan that feels Sean plateaued /peaked as a HC with the 13 second game, and his “ vaunted” defensive scheme is ineffective against elite level teams. I think the difference between fans like me and you is I always hope for the best, and I have other hobbies…, 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Wondering how others view his post-season PC and recent interview calling critics narrow minded. He also stated its hard to win in the NFL. I recall a prior HC pilloried on this site for saying the exact same words. 

My take on the PC was that he was very defensive. Without even being asked. He launched into a defense of his tenure as coach even dating back to prior seasons. 

And now he calls critics narrow minded for wondering if the Bills will win a SB with him as HC. You have to belive at this point the thought has crossed Beane and Pegula's mind. He's trying to defend at best status quo to perhaps taking a step or two back from 13 seconds. 

"We're looking for Josh to really be that face of the franchise, like he's been, and continue to evolve." 

I mean WTF. What team has he been coaching? Does he think Hyde and Poyer were the face of the franchise?? Is he trying to lay blame on Allen? Without Allen McDermott might be coaching DBs in Kansas City.  Was Allen on the field when the defense crumbled multiple times against Denver,Philadelphia, and others. KC only stopped themselves in the playoff game. If not for a goal line fumble the Bills are not even close in that game. 

It may not seem that I'm open minded but I really try. I've gave McDermott praise many times last year.

For those that crucified Jauron how do you take the It’s hard to win in the NFL line?

It would be helpful if you would link to the video you're talking about, so that we can all be sure we're watching the same thing.   

Can you document the bolded "gave McDermott praise many times last year"?

With regard to your comment "He also stated its hard to win in the NFL. I recall a prior HC pilloried on this site for saying the exact same words. ":

Jauron's record as HC of the Bills was .421  as follows 24 wins and 33 losses, 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons followed by 3-6 at the time he was fired.  No playoff appearances with those records, of course.

McDermott's record as HC of the Bills is 0.64 as follows: 73 wins and 41 losses, 9-7, 6-10, 10-6, 13-3, 11-6, 13-3, 11-6

Do you think perhaps reaction to any "it's hard to win in this league" comments might be legitimately viewed differently  if McDermott said that 73 wins and the 5 consecutive years in the playoffs?

What I think is that you ought to consider taking up a hobby.  Crochet is interesting, I hear**, or Philately.

**disclaimer: I do not, myself, know how to crochet, so can not personally verify the interest or lack of interest 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 2

McD is a slightly more personable Jauron with Allen. 

Although McD did state they want to take the next step, but he does seem tone def for being seemingly ok with making the divisional round “because it’s hard”.    

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, section122 said:

Andy Reid interviewed today said its hard to win and then repeated it.  Literally today....

@Ethan in Cleveland is he feeling the heat too? I feel like every coach says it.  

Reid and others have been to and won many SB’s.  McD was basically excusing the inability to sniff one. 

12 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

The press has questioned McD about the Bills not reaching the SB.  One inferred that since Josh has not yet reached the SB, he hasn't been successsful.  McD defended him saying it was a narrow minded view to suggest the SB as the only crriteria for success.  He offered that Josh has been successful and the Bills have been successful.   However, he continued with "they need to take the next step."

They played the footage on NFL Live and the question was posed to Sam Acho and Mina KImes whether they agreed with McD.  Interestingly, they did, reasoning that if the only criteria to define success is winning a SB, there are very few successful teams.  They also cited the 17 year drought and the strides the Bills have taken since McD got here and Josh was drafted.  Like this board, they stated that unfortunately the Bills got successful at the same time Mahomes was drafted by KC.  So...there is another step to be taken beyond their current success.  Mina talked about the current roster more favorably than what has been offered by the media since all of the cuts had occurred.  She mentioned their need to get younger, and then cited their loss of talent...which to me was rather contrary since the players they've moved on from are largely the older players.   Still...I was appreciative of the positive comments.

agree the roster is setup to win. Disagree with the Mahomes issue.  Allen is a better playoff and reg season QB.  The reason we have not won is coaching related—particularly the D. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

snipppppp

McD seems like a real dude and is always looking for the positive.  What do you want him to do?  Seppuku himself?

58 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I hope he helps the team win big this year but he should feel the heat. We have a generational talent at QB and have been to and lost one conference championship game. Not enough. Maybe he'll win it all and turn around the narrative. Not counting on it but I'd love to be wrong.

I'm sure he does "feel the heat".  I think every HC "feels the heat", including HC who have just won the Superbowl.

Consider Kubiak with Denver. 
2015: not only gets to the Superbowl with The Ghost of Peyton Manning plus Brock Osweiler starting 7 games, he wins!

2016: 9-7. 

2017: Out the door. 

As "Son of Bum" quipped, "2 years from the Superbowl to the Unemployment Line" (and he had a #4 ranked defense that year, too).

• Agree 1

I don’t see in your statement where is shows McD is feeling pressure?  

Are you saying he should be feeling the pressure?  If so, you should update your title.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Josh covers up plenty of Mcdermotts downfalls. If Sean had a mediocre QB and not a generational franchise guy he would be losing a lot more than winning and likely would have been fired.

McDermott is on his what 4th OC? He screwed up with Dennison and Dorsey, lost Dabol to a promotion. Hes bumbled on field decisions and blamed other coaches for losses. Hes now done the same to the players too. 

This is my last year with McDermott. I need a SB appearance to want him back.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

He moved INTO Cleveland and being in birthplace of Superman did not help him.

I thought Superman was born on Krypton...

It’s at a point where one more playoff failure has got to put him on the hot seat. I don’t hate McD like a lot of others on here. But I think there is a saturation point where a locker room needs a new voice to get them over the top so to speak. I love everything McD has done here turning this team from the drought to a serious contender. And I don’t even think he should be fired if he fails in 2024 either but if puts up back to back playoff failures it’s a strong consideration to get someone else in there.