Hip drop tackle officially banned

Process

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

McKay said “mostly”…subtext: “Except when the Bills are in the divisional round, preferably attempting to bring down a Kansas City wide receiver, and imposition of the penalty would result in first and goal Kansas City, thusly ensuring a last second Patrick Mahomes win.”

They just had Dean Blandino on One Bills Live.  He talked about the potential new kick off rules...likely being tabled to the May meeting.  He also addressed the Hip drop tackle and confirmed that the initial enforcement will be through film reviews and fines, not flags...as it will be a learning curve for both players and the referees.

• Thank you (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The hip drop wasnt even a thing 2 years ago and now half of you are acting like its part of the fabric of the game.

Exactly!! People just don't understand what this is. I was skeptical at first, but then I researched it. Now I'm convinced this is the right move.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, T master said:

So if you come in from behind for a tackle and hit the guy in the back to take him down is that a illegal hit in the back or a blind side tackle ? Not exactly sure how this is going to work & if enforced as such how many will just let the runner go in fear of being penalized or fined .

Has the league provided any video demonstrating what is allowed and what is not. Where do you draw the line? This sounds like a giant gray area, worse than “is that a catch?” 

2 hours ago, sven233 said:

The problem I see with this is that a lot of these tackles happen by circumstance, not because players are trying to hurt each other.  Just about all these clips show the offensive player getting out in front of the defensive player so the defensive player has to grab the player and pull them to the ground.  I guess I am not seeing how, at full speed, they want the defensive player to tackle the guy that is trying to run away from them.  They can't go high because the offensive player will just run through it.  I guess they could try and trip them around the knees or ankles or something, but will that really limit injuries or will it create more?  This is going to result in a lot more broken tackles because offensive players are too big and strong to not just be wrapped up and dragged down.

I don't know.  I guess if they unanimously voted it out there must be a plan, but I just don't see a lot of ways to tackle a guy that gets ahead of you in open space without wrapping up.  It is a lot to ask of defensive players.

My first thought of this was when the Bills were playing the Patriots and Bruschi tried to make an arm tackle around someones ankles and ended up snapping his wrist like a twig.

19 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

They just had Dean Blandino on One Bills Live.  He talked about the potential new kick off rules...likely being tabled to the May meeting.  He also addressed the Hip drop tackle and confirmed that the initial enforcement will be through film reviews and fines, not flags...as it will be a learning curve for both players and the referees.

How ridiculous.

We've created a new rule that we assure you is completely justified, but we're not going to be able to enforce it in the game....because reasons.

That is absurd.

Can anyone think of another example where a league implemented a new rule, but didn't enforce it right away?

What a broken system.

Since they're announcing it now, they should've already done their homework and be able to implement it straight away. That's how a legitimate league would handle their business.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

I don’t understand how players are suppose to tackle anymore. 

I don’t understand how a player will tackle someone who they are trying to chase down from behind. 

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

NFL also stated this only averages around 1 per game and all 3 elements need to be met to be considered a penalty.  It sounds like it may be more fines than penalties

The play that injured Andrews. Levy a fine and move along.

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

How ridiculous.

We've created a new rule that we assure you is completely justified, but we're not going to be able to enforce it in the game....because reasons.

That is absurd.

Can anyone think of another example where a league implemented a new rule, but didn't enforce it right away?

What a broken system.

Since they're announcing it now, they should've already done their homework and be able to implement it straight away. That's how a legitimate league would handle their business.

It's not that it wont be enforced. It's how it will be enforced that is a little different.

But we already have this in the NFL. There are plenty of hits and behavior that doesnt get flagged in the moment, but gets fined later on.

And frankly, I'd rather have it that way than stopping the game and letting the refs influence the whole thing.

12 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's not the rules that suck. It's the system. A system built to be a haven for the grey and the vague. A system willingly vulnerable to manipulation and corruption.

Well if it's going to be enforced mostly through film and fines then it wont be very vulnerable to manipulation and corruption, so what more do you want?

Good video for everyone wondering what and why...

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's not that it wont be enforced. It's how it will be enforced that is a little different.

But we already have this in the NFL. There are plenty of hits and behavior that doesnt get flagged in the moment, but gets fined later on.

And frankly, I'd rather have it that way than stopping the game and letting the refs influence the whole thing.

Well if it's going to be enforced mostly through film and fines then it wont be very vulnerable to manipulation and corruption, so what more do you want?

Like every other rule, it will be called in game. What other rule never gets called in game?

I can see this being another one of those calls that benefit certain teams, bailing them out of less than desired situations. 
"Awesome, we held them. good win guys....wait, wth...."

"Illegal tackle, automatic first down"

The chiefs go on to score. Were all

mad because it wasn't called when they did a similar thing and so on. 

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Like every other rule, it will be called in game. What other rule never gets called in game?

Dean Blandino, Rick McKay, and Troy Vincent all say otherwise. They are initially going to address it through film review and fines before throwing flags. Sure, a blatantly obvious one that causes an injury will likely draw a flag, and rightfully so.

How often do they get horse collar tackles wrong, calling them when it wasnt a horse collar? Rarely if ever?

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dean Blandino, Rick McKay, and Troy Vincent all say otherwise. They are initially going to address it through film review and fines before throwing flags. Sure, a blatantly obvious one that causes an injury will likely draw a flag, and rightfully so.

How often do they get horse collar tackles wrong, calling them when it wasnt a horse collar? Rarely if ever?

So, they WILL call them in game. Thanks.

A hip drop is not a standard tackle

It does not even happen 10% of the time... Not even 5% of the time

And it's always been very dangerous...

You'll never see somebody like Ray Lewis hip drop tackle somebody because they know how to properly tackle

It's basically akin to grabbing a runner from the back... And dropping to a sitting position..  putting your entire body weight and force on to the back of his legs

While snapping his leg in half

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2