Does Josh Allen still work as hard in the offseason?

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not sure if you’re referring to my original post but Josh is the one that says he doesn’t do much in the offseason the last couple years. And that he uses camp to get in shape. But he feels that helps him prevent soft tissue injuries. He also said his strength coach with the Bills will hate that he said that.

He also doesn’t throw much in the offseason anymore and doesn’t work with Palmer much anymore. Just kind of chills.

That is actually not what he said, especially not the "uses camp to get in shape".

If you feel you know different - post receipts.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not sure if you’re referring to my original post but Josh is the one that says he doesn’t do much in the offseason the last couple years. And that he uses camp to get in shape. But he feels that helps him prevent soft tissue injuries. He also said his strength coach with the Bills will hate that he said that.

He also doesn’t throw much in the offseason anymore and doesn’t work with Palmer much anymore. Just kind of chills.

And I'd say Josh looked the best QB in this year's play offs. I'm not saying he's the number one QB, or better than Mahomes but perhaps the rest during the close season helped him peak when the Bills needed to. Shame barely anyone else followed suit.

Despite the dissection of the issues the Bills have I find it surreal that the key solution appears to be ask even more from Josh.

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Was it? I didn't hear anything about him working with Jordan last offseason and I do think there were some signs of regression in some of his fundamentals. That isn't me accusing him of not working hard by the way - I have no idea what he did last offseason but I didn't hear, unlike previous years, mentions of him working with Palmer and I thought it was telling when he was on the media round at the Superbowl he was asked about his offseason workout plans and didn't mention Palmer once. I sort of suspected that relationship had concluded. I'd be interested in hearing to that contrary. 

both josh and kyle allen were working with palmer, and it was talked about in preseason in various reports, podcasts, and videos. 

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He does enough to be a winner most of the time, the question is, what, if anything, does he need to do different or more to be a champion?

I don't know the answer to that but 1) neither does anyone else here 2) an off season workout photo op or throwing session may or may not be what he needs.

Allen has done his part to be a champion just like Manning and Elway did before they finally got theirs.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DanInUticaTampa said:

both josh and kyle allen were working with palmer, and it was talked about in preseason in various reports, podcasts, and videos. 

I know they have in the past..... that is where their relationship comes from. I do not remember hearing that they had done so last offseason specifically. 

EDIT: this is what Palmer said to the press last September: "I think he’s completely locked in and I’m hearing amazing things about how it’s gone this offseason out in Buffalo,” Palmer said. “It’s a long year. You’re banged up, you’re beat up - emotionally there’s things that have happened. You gotta reset. … There’s always drama. ... This offseason it was the Diggs thing and next offseason it’ll be another thing. That’s what playing franchise quarterback is - you’re a problem solver. You’re putting out fires. I think that’s what the great ones do.”

That makes it sound like while they are still in contact Josh didn't specifically go to work with Palmer. But happy to be told otherwise. 

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Conversely, Josh Allen thinks he's good enough and doesn't workout, doesn't watch film, these are his own words. Kyle Allen asked him his plans for the offseason on his podcast. It wasn't to get better and work on being the best QB and winning a championship. He said his plan was to play at every single PGA major golf course. What an absolute slap in the face to Bills fans.

Some of these podcasts I've watched, and you are seriously misrepresenting what Allen actually said.  He never said his off-season plan was to "play at every single PGA major golf course" in one off season, it was a lifetime bucket list.  Last off season, I actually transcribed what he said on the Bussin' with the Boys podcast and it wasn't "I don't watch film", he agreed he was a "big film watcher" then said "I don't like to OVER watch film" and went on to explain that if he starts anticipating what the defense is going to do and then they're showing him something very different, it throws him off.

I seem to recall actually having this discussion with you after those podcasts.

I think you're just a troll at this point, but if you actually are a Bills fan but you can't figure out 1) how to listen carefully 2) how to put what's said on an entertainment podcast in context as not representing the sum total of 4 months of a guy's life, You Do You - go ahead and feel like Josh Allen has slapped you in the face.  I bet you got off on it.

Me, I don't think Josh Allen is a "slap in the face" kind of guy.  He seems pretty chill and mellow to me, but if he did get riled enough to go physical, I bet he'd punch, and punch hard.

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Hope you are wrong, but do have a slight fear you are right.

Well, hey, busted clocks manage "right" two times daily, so.....

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Hi,

I’m here to remind everyone that just because an athlete isn’t posting workout/training photos on their social media, it doesn’t mean they aren’t working out/training.

Thanks for attending my Ted Talk

The More You Know Fun GIF by megan lockhart

Right, it’s like posting pictures w their GF, doesn’t mean they aren’t hooking up w bartenders.

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Right, it’s like posting pictures w their GF, doesn’t mean they aren’t hooking up w bartenders.

I thought she was a soccer player?  When do soccer players have time to tend bar, and don't they use depo these days?

But fair point, fair point.

Edited by Beck Water

21 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The Bills social media team?  Of course they wouldn't be on top of it.  Do you think it's the Chiefs social media team putting out that photo of Mahomes in the gym with Rice and Brown?  Hint: It is not.

The NFL/NFLPA CBA has strict rules about off-season coach and team contact with players.  Having the Bills social media team "on top of it" would give the appearance of a team-sanctioned or team-supported or even team-organized workout, which would be a big No No.

If (say) Josh had receivers staying at his house in Cali and working out at a local field, but told them all "I like to keep my off-season private, no Instagrams please" do you think they'd post anyway?  Or would they respect him?

How do you know Mahomes holds "annual offseason camps"?  How long are these camps?  Where and when are they?  Let's hear the details since you're informed.

While you're at it, Allen had a UCL tear mid-season last year.  What were his medical advisors directions for his off-season workouts?  He had a shoulder sprain mid season this year.  What were his medical team's directions for his off season this year?  Tell us about that.

I'm not saying Mahomes hasn't or won't hold sessions with his receivers or isn't 'driven', but "holding annual camps" from a single photo in a gym and maybe a mention of some guys working out with him last off season seems like a creation. 

And truthfully, the KC offense started the season rather out-of-sync and finished 15th in points scored.  They had 8 games decided by 7 points or less, 4 of which they lost, and were carried in many games by their kick-ass #2 defense.   The Bills, for all the complaining here, finished 6th in offense.  The difference is: KC put it all together and won the games when it counts, offense and defense.

Just maybe ........ an off season "receiver camp" (or workout) doesn't move the needle too much on how aligned the QB and receiver actually are during the start of the season? 

Still not believable with how all these guys having their own social media accounts. You know Diggs would for sure post if something like that happened. 

For Mahomes’ camp you should look it up. It’s pretty common knowledge. He has them in Texas. That’s how they ended up drafting Rashee Rice. Rice was there along with several other prospects. KC receivers were all there as well. Getting NFL players to show up for non team events during the offseason to run drills is a miracle in and of itself. I guess you could call that great leadership. 

These sessions may or may not ‘move the needle’ like you said. At the very least it starts a bond between the franchise qb and his new teammates. For whatever struggles KC had during the season they sure put it all together in the end. They were together for almost a calendar year time wise so that bond of playing for one another to achieve an objective must be really strong. 

11 hours ago, Billl said:

Seems like they’re usually won by whatever team had Brady or Mahomes at QB.

Except of course for Brady's 7 superbowl or conference losses, and of course, since Mahomes was drafted Chiefs have 3 SB wins and 3 SB or conf. losses.

So, what does "usually" mean to you?

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I thought she was a soccer player?  When do soccer players have time to tend bar, and don't they use depo these days?

But fair point, fair point.

She gets to be whatever she wants to be now, she’s making more than JA’s current GF lol.

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Curt Cousins is not good and comes up short but he works probably harder than anyone in the league and is maximizing his potential, otherwise he might not even be in the league.

Conversely, Josh Allen thinks he's good enough and doesn't workout, doesn't watch film, these are his own words. Kyle Allen asked him his plans for the offseason on his podcast. It wasn't to get better and work on being the best QB and winning a championship. He said his plan was to play at every single PGA major golf course. What an absolute slap in the face to Bills fans. This guy wants to be Tiger Woods not Tom Brady. And we all know that he is now immersed into the Hollywood scene and all of those industry parties and such so that will be a whole thing as well.

Not so bold prediction: Josh Allen has already peaked and the Bills will never win a Superbowl. He has other interests and he is happy just showing up on Sundays and seeing what happens.

We will agree to disagree. For all our sakes, I hope and trust you are wrong however! 😬

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Still not believable with how all these guys having their own social media accounts. You know Diggs would for sure post if something like that happened. 

For Mahomes’ camp you should look it up. It’s pretty common knowledge. He has them in Texas. That’s how they ended up drafting Rashee Rice. Rice was there along with several other prospects. KC receivers were all there as well. Getting NFL players to show up for non team events during the offseason to run drills is a miracle in and of itself. I guess you could call that great leadership. 

These sessions may or may not ‘move the needle’ like you said. At the very least it starts a bond between the franchise qb and his new teammates. For whatever struggles KC had during the season they sure put it all together in the end. They were together for almost a calendar year time wise so that bond of playing for one another to achieve an objective must be really strong. 

Actually, I think if Diggs were asked not to post stuff on social he would behave like a decent rational human being and....not post stuff on social.  

OK, I googled and found this:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/19/kansas-city-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-2023-nfl-offseason-texas-workouts-better-game-plan-2023/

Looks like he has workout sessions in mid-April around a team virtual Phase I OTA, good for him.

We really don't know what Allen is or isn't doing at that time, but I'm pretty sure the Bills had on-site OTA Phase I, so different situation.

Edited by Beck Water

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Actually, I think if Diggs were asked not to post stuff on social he would behave like a decent rational human being and....not post stuff on social.  

OK, I googled and found this:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/19/kansas-city-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-2023-nfl-offseason-texas-workouts-better-game-plan-2023/

Looks like he has workout sessions in mid-April around a team virtual Phase I OTA, good for him.

We really don't know what Allen is or isn't doing at that time, but I'm pretty sure the Bills had on-site OTA Phase I

Reid has said that because of this they’re able to start Phase 2 when OTA begins so they’re ahead of most teams. I’m sure the reps that Mahomes get with his receivers don’t hurt either. 

Anyway I didn’t say Allen was bad for not doing this. I said that Mahomes is clearly driven to be the best and that is benefiting his team on the field. Not sure why that’s so controversial. 

Just now, 90sBills said:

Reid has said that because of this they’re able to start Phase 2 when OTA begins so they’re ahead of most teams. I’m sure the reps that Mahomes get with his receivers don’t hurt either. 

Anyway I didn’t say Allen was bad for not doing this. I said that Mahomes is clearly driven to be the best and that is benefiting his team on the field. Not sure why that’s so controversial. 

I think Allen is the most talented QB in the NFL, but it does seem like Mahomes goes a little bit above and beyond what Allen does in the off-season.  It is what it is, and maybe it's more a function of the young receivers they have had since Tyreek.. let's hope Allen considers this with a likely high draft pick, still young WR in Shakir and a new receiver in Samuel.

Then there's the body aspect, of which a guy like Burrow is maniacal with his diet, sleep/workout schedule etc.. we know for a fact that's not Allen's thing in the off-season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think Allen is the most talented QB in the NFL, but it does seem like Mahomes goes a little bit above and beyond what Allen does in the off-season.  It is what it is, and maybe it's more a function of the young receivers they have had since Tyreek.. let's hope Allen considers this with a likely high draft pick, still young WR in Shakir and a new receiver in Samuel.

Then there's the body aspect, of which a guy like Burrow is maniacal with his diet, sleep/workout schedule etc.. we know for a fact that's not Allen's thing in the off-season. 

Exactly! Thank you! Just pointing things out is like committing a capital crime against Allen. He’s a great qb and could potentially bring championship to the franchise. It’s all good. Relax. Go Bills!

Certain fans who feel they’re owed a SB title will slowly start to blame the all world QB more and more with each passing year if no SB is obtained, even if that QB continues to dominate the league as Allen has the last 4 years.

Since they can’t really point to his on field performance as the reason for no title yet, they’re left with pointing the finger at the offseason routine, as though maybe playing one less round of golf, or one less week on the beach with his significant other will somehow activate this Bills defense into championship mode in the playoffs.

Absurd.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1