Jeremiah has us taking a DT at 28 in his latest mock

Beane does a good job with getting FA to fill holes before the draft so he can go best player available on his board.

I think he has mentioned this many times (or at least a few) on how he doesn't like drafting for need as it tends to limit what you can do draft wise.  

Edited by CaliBills

4 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Nothing as long as they trade up about 20 spots to land one. Get ready for a gold rush of epic proportions son...

If you can honestly separate the WRs after the top guys then you’re in the wrong business.

There are so many good WRs, probably around 10 WRs that will go in the 2nd-3rd rounds that I would love to be Bills. I mean the kid from UCF Javon Baker is the perfect replacement for Davis. He’s basically a better version of Gabe Davis as a prospect.

There are many.

20 hours ago, FireChans said:

Revving up the “it’s the fans/media fault” train early I see. 

Yep. The cover 1 guys are like that.

20 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Question? Whats wrong with a 2nd round WR? 

Less talent, most likely.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/23/2024 at 12:32 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Franchise QB's are $50M now.

Elite pass rusher, WR, LT are $35M range now.   Which is why I view round 1 as a "ceiling" play.   

I don't subscribe to the "can't go broke making a profit approach" to drafting that the John Butler Bills and current Ravens use.

Lot's of small profits and not much elite talent at key positions.    The Ravens personnel department is very efficient though.........they've been together a long time and do a great job identifying players that fit their schemes.    

Like those Bills they also benefit some defensively by being one of the few 3-4 teams.    That allows them their pick of some good big DL that aren't viewed as favorably by 4-3 teams.    And some cheap, disposable edge rushers.   

There are 12 to 15 franchise QBs in the league now and four QBs with contracts over $50M.

There's not a single non-QB getting $35M per year by AAV. Not one.

And a grand total of THREE non-QBs earning $30M or up.

So you're wildly inflating your numbers there. Why push unreasonable narratives?

This is one factor that should be looked at with early picks, certainly. But one of many.

Edited by Thurman#1

Many people here are disregarding the value of a strong defense. The notion that having a generational talent at QB means you must give him the weapons to be successful is actually correct, but the Bills have all ready been a top rated offense the last few years. It's not like he doesn't all ready have a lot of weapons. Defense though, gets the opposing team off the field and gives that generational talent QB back on the field, giving him more opportunities to make plays. There is value in that. Also, if the defense is weak, your generational talent QB is fighting an uphill battle to score more points because the defense is giving up points at an accelerated rate. I want a Diggs replacement as much as anyone, but you cannot ignore the fact that the defense has lost a lot of talent. Far more than the offense has. The WR or bust crowd may just find out that they get there wish and still bust. All because the defense turns into a complete tire fire.

4 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Many people here are disregarding the value of a strong defense. The notion that having a generational talent at QB means you must give him the weapons to be successful is actually correct, but the Bills have all ready been a top rated offense the last few years. It's not like he doesn't all ready have a lot of weapons. Defense though, gets the opposing team off the field and gives that generational talent QB back on the field, giving him more opportunities to make plays. There is value in that. Also, if the defense is weak, your generational talent QB is fighting an uphill battle to score more points because the defense is giving up points at an accelerated rate. I want a Diggs replacement as much as anyone, but you cannot ignore the fact that the defense has lost a lot of talent. Far more than the offense has. The WR or bust crowd may just find out that they get there wish and still bust. All because the defense turns into a complete tire fire.

Not seeing how the defense lost a lot of talent.  It lost Floyd but not outrageous to think Von another year removed from ACL surgery can replace his production.  Can’t imagine Austin Johnson will be worse than Settle or Poona Ford.  Milano is back.  Poyer and Hyde are gone but Edwards is probably an upgrade.  The defense is most likely better this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Question? Whats wrong with a 2nd round WR? 

Depends on who we take. The points are this year is there are several studs who can be WR 1 soon. Also, Diggs replacement needs to be drafted this year.

We wait until 60 and odds are we aren't drafting Diggs replacement. 

13 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not seeing how the defense lost a lot of talent.  It lost Floyd but not outrageous to think Von another year removed from ACL surgery can replace his production.  Can’t imagine Austin Johnson will be worse than Settle or Poona Ford.  Milano is back.  Poyer and Hyde are gone but Edwards is probably an upgrade.  The defense is most likely better this year.  

Boy, I'm not seeing much of that.

Von could replace Floyd's production, it's not outrageous to think that. But it's optimistic. My guess is that's the ceiling, but not the floor. I'd love to be wrong about that, I hope I am.

Milano is back. How will he perform, especially early as he finds his feet?

Edwards is an upgrade? From Poyer and Hyde? Not seeing that at all. Nor the other side, Rapp. I expect this area to be addressed further, but I question your point about the players we have at safety now.

And last year's CBs, Douglas, Tre and Benford, with Taron at slot, look a bit better to me, though I see the chance of this year's group developing further.

Tre and Benford vs. Benford and Elam this year looks to me like far from a sure thing to be as good. Could be, but it's nothing we can take for granted. And who's this year's Dane Jackson at backup?

It's still early, and we haven't seen the draftees yet.

Another Mock Draft (The Athletic 2.0), another DL...

28. Buffalo Bills: Darius Robinson, Edge, Missouri

The Bills tried to move up to get one of the top four receivers, but once that didn’t work, they had a deal in place to move down … that also fell through. Moving down would be preferred if the board played out this way. But with the depth of the receiver class, there is no reason to force the pick and take someone who doesn’t fit what the Bills need in an X receiver with speed to get over the top. Instead, they used their pick on another premium position and landed a long, versatile defensive lineman — a selection that had Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane written all over it. The vision is to eventually use Robinson as a starting defensive lineman who can play on either edge or inside at defensive tackle, depending on the situation. As a prospect, Robinson has been compared to Arik Armstead, whom the Bills were in on as a free agent. — Joe Buscaglia

45 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Bills tried to move up to get one of the top four receivers, but once that didn’t work, they had a deal in place to move down … that also fell through. Moving down would be preferred if the board played out this way. But with the depth of the receiver class, there is no reason to force the pick and take someone who doesn’t fit what the Bills need in an X receiver with speed to get over the top. Instead, they used their pick on another premium position and landed a long, versatile defensive lineman — a selection that had Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane written all over it. The vision is to eventually use Robinson as a starting defensive lineman who can play on either edge or inside at defensive tackle, depending on the situation. As a prospect, Robinson has been compared to Arik Armstead, whom the Bills were in on as a free agent. — Joe Buscaglia

I don’t like this idea at all.  Darius Robinson can be a good story with great effort, but he is not a good starting DE unless you are really looking for just a big run stopper and if that’s the case just re-sign Shaq Lawson.  I’m not a pro scout, but Darius Robinson feels more like a tweener than some great weapon to move around the DL.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

nothing against the player…but absolutely not.  DT Murphy is the only D player if available at 28 that I’d consider taking.  Not drafting a WR in Round 1 would be a failure. The talent is simply too good.  Even if it’s the 6th or 7th WR.  They are far more likely to impact the team immediately & going forward

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The defense lost many players to injury and there was a significant drop off last year. On top of that, 3 pro bowl caliber players in the secondary are gone in Poyer, Hyde and White. The Defensive Line has only 2 viable starting DTs and the DE position is very suspect. And if Milano goes down to injury again, the LB group will once again drop off significantly. Everyone is so focused on building a great offense that they are greatly underestimating how much we have lost on defense. There are some key pieces, but depth is a huge concern. Not sure how you can consider Edwards an upgrade. Poyer and Hyde were starters and Pro Bowlers in their career. Edwards wasn't even a starter until he was put in due to an injury last year. Hopefully, Our DEs bounce back. Hopefully injury doesn't decimate our secondary. Hopefully, you're right and Johnson is an upgrade to Settle and Ford. Gotta address depth on defense. Offense, could use a couple of pieces, but there is much more to be desired on defense.