Jeremiah has us taking a DT at 28 in his latest mock

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree you can increase odds taking better prospects...my only point is you don't really when you reach and over draft someone though.  I am only against reaching for the sake of taking a position.  

We won't be reaching if we take a WR at 28. That's the opportunity a deep class provides you... Not an opportunity to wait until after the best prospects are gone.

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We won't be reaching if we take a WR at 28. That's the opportunity a deep class provides you... Not an opportunity to wait until after the best prospects are gone.

I agree with you - but we won't be taking a WR. DE is the pick. Move up for Latu.

• Vomit 1

I could see us going D with our first 6 picks. The WR class is so deep we could just wait and get an RFA. He'll most likely not play much anyways, and I'm sure he'll be as good as anything we can get in the first 2 rounds.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, MikeSpeed said:

I could see us going D with our first 6 picks. The WR class is so deep we could just wait and get an RFA. He'll most likely not play much anyways, and I'm sure he'll be as good as anything we can get in the first 2 rounds.

Bingo! Our D is swiss cheese every post season, injuries don't help but it is what it is. We have no issue scoring. But the D needs help! Latu in 1st is the pick.

Heck, I'd even consider paying attention to the NYG trade for Diggs and 28, we get #6. LATU. BOOM!! Won't happen but it so out there on X.

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

Bingo! Our D is swiss cheese every post season, injuries don't help but it is what it is. We have no issue scoring. But the D needs help! Latu in 1st is the pick.

Heck, I'd even consider paying attention to the NYG trade for Diggs and 28, we get #6. LATU. BOOM!! Won't happen but it so out there on X.

Kidding of course before the Wendy's come out

I'm good with DT round 1 (if it were Byron Murphy) considering the depth at WR in this draft. 

Unless we move UP in round one, I see us having best value and most options at WR anyway, so it's fairly likely that WR is the pick...

Maybe S Tyler Nubin

And I'm looking at SEVERAL OPTIONS in the second round for WR

Edited by Yantha

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Could have sworn it was while in the pocket on a pass attempt, but I stand corrected. 

The larger point of my post was that Cam’s career wasn’t shortened because he was “run into the ground”, which is a common misconception.

8 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I'll say this - we lost to the Chiefs in the playoffs last season because they beat us at the LOS on both sides of the ball.  

Ehh The OL played well except for Jones pushing Dion.   Milano or Bernard on the field could have changed the game IMO 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

OBL today and Dl discussion....

This is my opinion but if the Bills stand pat....

No. 28 Sweat   = Ted Williams and is the center of our Dline for years to come. Not to mention the enormous price DTs are commanding now, let alone 4 yrs. from now.

No. 60 Maason Smith  = Calais Campbell....no need to spend money on a Shaq type, he gonna be good. Just needs ....well the Bills.

No. 128 Jermaine Burton = Eric Moulds?

No. 133  Dez Walker  = James Lofton?

I don't mean to sound like a 1990 nostalgia, get off my lawn guy, but if it were down to our 1st 4 picks, I think this would work.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I know that Beane wasn’t the GM. But it was very clear they did not surround him with a lot of help on the offensive side.

You’d think a guy who witnessed that first-hand would think, “hey, when I’m running my own team, and I get a franchise QB, I don’t want him running around in circles trying to do carry the entire offense every game.”

But he clearly didn’t. So why should we expect he is laser focused on WR help for Josh now?

And that’s all well and good that you think that Cam’s career decline can be pinpointed to one singular injury. All I know is if I have a franchise QB, the guy I rely on to keep my job and keep my team in SB contention year after year, I want him putting himself in harm’s way the least amount possible. 

But Cam’s career decline IS pinpointed to one singular injury, though. It’s not a matter of opinion. 

There’s a fine line between putting Allen in harm’s way and utilizing his unique athletic ability on designed running plays. He’s a weapon that defenses have to respect. But Allen’s scrambles and runs are outside of the design anyway, and he needs to be smarter about protecting his own self when out there. And while drafting a blue chip receiving prospect would be fine, that won’t do much to curb Allen’s propensity for taking risks when he scrambles and take off. He is what he is.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

But Cam’s career decline IS pinpointed to one singular injury, though. It’s not a matter of opinion. 

There’s a fine line between putting Allen in harm’s way and utilizing his unique athletic ability on designed running plays. He’s a weapon that defenses have to respect. But Allen’s scrambles and runs are outside of the design anyway, and he needs to be smarter about protecting his own self when out there. And while drafting a blue chip receiving prospect would be fine, that won’t do much to curb Allen’s propensity for taking risks when he scrambles and take off. He is what he is.

Yeah, I’d like to prevent my QB from getting injured so really it’s irrelevant HOW he got injured. It’s very simple, less hits = less injuries. We have seen multiple seasons where Allen is banged up for a portion of the year because of an injury, notably the UCL most recently.

That includes OL investment success, which I will give Beane kudos for doing a generally decent job, with 2020 and 2023 having pretty strong OL play. 

That also includes receiving talent investment. Which he gets far worse grades.

There is absolutely a fine line between neutering what makes him special and using his gifts too much. I totally get that Allen is gonna be Allen and a lot of the hits he takes is on him. And I totally get that he’s not safe in the pocket either, because his UCL was a pocket injury.

But a good way to lessen his hits, without taking away his ability, is to surround him with good receiving talent so there’s a better chance there’s an open receiver to throw to. So he doesn’t feel like he has to run through a linebackers chest to get a crucial first down in November against a team that’s going to finish 6-11. We know that when Allen is backed into a corner and no one is open, he’s gonna lay it all out there. That’s fine. In February, go for it. 

Surround Allen with a better group than 2020 and his TOs will drop and his head smashing plays will also drop. He has shown he can do that. 

Allen had 4 broken tackles in 2020. He had 12 in 2021. 9 last year. That’s an imperfect stat, but I’d like to see that number go back down instead of up.

Buffalo has two quality starters at defensive tackle.  If you pick a guy in round one, he is a presumptive starter.  Anything less is a disappointment.  Buffalo can still use a starting caliber safety.  They also have a very old defensive end who is a presumptive starter in Von Miller.  I think the Bills would like to limit Miller to no more than half the defensive snaps.  If there is a quality defensive end available, I think that might be a better pick than DT.  I still wouldn't mind a WR in round one, similar to but better than Gabe Davis.  He might not get 100% of the reps this season, but Buffalo has to start thinking about the end of the Diggs era.  

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree you can increase odds taking better prospects...my only point is you don't really when you reach and over draft someone though.  I am only against reaching for the sake of taking a position.  

So would DK Metcalf and AJ Brown have been "reaching" late in the 1st round back in 2019?   Or in hindsight OBVIOUSLY not?

There are going to be some WR at the end of round 1 in this draft with better measurables/advanced stats than many WR who have gone in round 1 and subsequently had success in the past.

On the flip side........there are other positions that are just weak.   But at those positions the Bills might be able to get one of the top 3 rated players as opposed to maybe the 7th or 8th best WR.    

I could make a case in point of a non-premium position player..........but how about pass rusher in this draft?    There are some years when a guy like Laiatu Latu would be a second or maybe even much later pick as a guy who had to medically retire from football for a couple years and enters the league with modest athleticism and turning age 24 in his rookie season.    In THIS draft........some team(maybe the Bills) will almost certainly make him a first round pick.

I think as an organization you have to have a list of priorities to help you make tough decisions in the draft.    If it were up to me the deciding factor in any tossup situation is how does this help my incredible QB reach his ceiling?    

If you already have an offense that's putting up 33 points per game then........all else being equal........maybe it's time to take that pass rusher.    If you are putting up 26-27 per game like the 2023 Bills did and your vast investments defensively keep resulting in losing shootouts or just getting speedboated on defense anyway.........then the answer is to defer toward WR or LT in round 1.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So would DK Metcalf and AJ Brown have been "reaching" late in the 1st round back in 2019?   Or in hindsight OBVIOUSLY not?

There are going to be some WR at the end of round 1 in this draft with better measurables/advanced stats than many WR who have gone in round 1 and subsequently had success in the past.

On the flip side........there are other positions that are just weak.   But at those positions the Bills might be able to get one of the top 3 rated players as opposed to maybe the 7th or 8th best WR.    

I could make a case in point of a non-premium position player..........but how about pass rusher in this draft?    There are some years when a guy like Laiatu Latu would be a second or maybe even much later pick as a guy who had to medically retire from football for a couple years and enters the league with modest athleticism and turning age 24 in his rookie season.    In THIS draft........some team(maybe the Bills) will almost certainly make him a first round pick.

I think as an organization you have to have a list of priorities to help you make tough decisions in the draft.    If it were up to me the deciding factor in any tossup situation is how does this help my incredible QB reach his ceiling?    

If you already have an offense that's putting up 33 points per game then........all else being equal........maybe it's time to take that pass rusher.    If you are putting up 26-27 per game like the 2023 Bills did and your vast investments defensively keep resulting in losing shootouts or just getting speedboated on defense anyway.........then the answer is to defer toward WR or LT in round 1.   

Again, I am all in on a WR first round, even wanting to trade up and get Thomas of if some unexpected chance Odunze slides close enough to get due to QB run and some stupid team taking Worthy before Odunze (looking at you Dallas).  

And the year Metcalf was in the draft, I was pounding the pavement all offseason to take Metcalf in the first.  Almost nobody on this board wanted him.  I was screaming to take him in the 2nd when he slipped, but understood going OL there too even though he didn't pan out.  Then I was screaming to trade up from our 3rd as Metcalf continued to slide in the 2nd.  

So you wont get any objections from me on WR's.  However, there is no argument for me to ever reach for a player regardless of position.  I don't believe in it at all.  

My top 11 WR's in this draft all have legit WR1 potential.  I would rather trade back at 28 a little bit and recoup maybe a 3rd and still take one of the top WR prospects like Legette, McConkey, Coleman, Franklin, or Pearsall then reach at 28.  That is all I am saying.  Get max value because the position is so deep. 

Now if there is a guy at 28 they covet, then you take the WR there, don't wait.  Always.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, I am all in on a WR first round, even wanting to trade up and get Thomas of if some unexpected chance Odunze slides close enough to get due to QB run and some stupid team taking Worthy before Odunze (looking at you Dallas).  

And the year Metcalf was in the draft, I was pounding the pavement all offseason to take Metcalf in the first.  Almost nobody on this board wanted him.  I was screaming to take him in the 2nd when he slipped, but understood taking going OL as Ford was good value there (first round projection) even though he didn't pan out.  Then I was screaming to trade up from our 3rd as Metcalf continued to slide in the 2nd.  

So you wont get any objections from me on WR's.  However, there is no argument for me to ever reach for a player regardless of position.  I don't believe in it at all.  

My top 11 WR's in this draft all have legit WR1 potential.  I would rather trade back at 28 a little bit and recoup maybe a 3rd and still take one of the top WR prospects like Legette, McConkey, Coleman, Franklin, or Pearsall then reach at 28.  That is all I am saying.  Get max value because the position is so deep. 

Now if there is a guy at 28 they covet, then you take the WR there, don't wait.  Always.  

Metcalf was a pretty popular pick on this board for most of the 2019 offseason and there were plenty of people who wanted the Bills to select him even in round 1 and definitely in round 2.   There were some very vocal anti-DK types who shouted a lot of them down.

But Cody Ford was a good example of the "reach" player I am taking about.........he was a guy who wouldn't even be a consideration as a first or second rounder in a decent OL draft.........but in THAT weak OT draft he was viewed much more favorably than he deserved.    If you thought taking him was OK with the ceilings of those receivers I guess you were on board with the then-green Beane about that..........but it never made any sense to me.   RT is non-primo and Ford's ceiling with his limited athleticism(4 RAS) and lack of versatility was fringe starter.

There are a lot of DL in this draft who some people are squinting at to look past their limitations and instead dreaming on being steals who are going to be on "free agent visits" still two weeks into free agency in 2028.   We don't need another situation where a Ty Nsekhe type journeymen is beating out a trade-up-for second rounder like what happened with Cody Ford in that camp. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, mannc said:

The problem with that strategy is that seemingly every year, there is major run on WRs early in the second round. The year we drafted Cook was an example.  I think Beane really wanted one of the WRs, but they were all gone by the time our number came up and Beane kept trading back...I suspect guys like Leggette, Franklin, Worthy, McConkey and Coleman will get snapped up by midway through round 2, if they don't go in the first.

Picking a day two talent with a first round pick is a losing strategy for the long run.  Fortunately, there are more receivers with first round talent than are likely to be selected in the first round.  Even with the numbers stacked like that, there are no guarantees that the Bills will even like any of those guys that are available.  I do hope they select a highly graded receiver in the first round.  IMHO they need to be prepared to replace Diggs in a year.  Beane has not shown the propensity to over reach in the draft and I don't expect him to this year.  If they go with a day two guy, they probably know something that we don't.

On 3/19/2024 at 4:58 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They haven’t drafted many DTs. Name them.

2006 John McCargo - round 1

Alex Carrington, but maybe he was DE?

2018 Ed Oliver - round 1

All that comes to mind.

Forgot Torrell Troup I think round 2!

Maybe 2009?

Oh yeah and Marcel Dareus - round 1 2011...duh!

Edited by Kaenon

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Metcalf was a pretty popular pick on this board for most of the 2019 offseason and there were plenty of people who wanted the Bills to select him even in round 1 and definitely in round 2.   There were some very vocal anti-DK types who shouted a lot of them down.

But Cody Ford was a good example of the "reach" player I am taking about.........he was a guy who wouldn't even be a consideration as a first or second rounder in a decent OL draft.........but in THAT weak OT draft he was viewed much more favorably than he deserved.    If you thought taking him was OK with the ceilings of those receivers I guess you were on board with the then-green Beane about that..........but it never made any sense to me.   RT is non-primo and Ford's ceiling with his limited athleticism(4 RAS) and lack of versatility was fringe starter.

There are a lot of DL in this draft who some people are squinting at to look past their limitations and instead dreaming on being steals who are going to be on "free agent visits" still two weeks into free agency in 2028.   We don't need another situation where a Ty Nsekhe type journeymen is beating out a trade-up-for second rounder like what happened with Cody Ford in that camp. 

Oh, i remember those dark days. Was the worst round 1/2 of any Beane draft. Not only did he fail to acquire metcalf, he spent those picks on interior linemen

On 3/19/2024 at 4:56 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

/wrist

Good Lord, this would be an AWFUL idea

which one?  If we go DT- who are we selecting?

11 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

2006 John McCargo - round 1

Alex Carrington, but maybe he was DE?

2018 Ed Oliver - round 1

All that comes to mind.

Forgot Torrell Troup I think round 2!

Maybe 2009?

Oh yeah and Marcel Dareus - round 1 2011...duh!

Oliver is the only non bust.  Dareus selected 4th overall- look at who the Bills passed up to draft this useless tub of goo