Jeremiah has us taking a DT at 28 in his latest mock

7 hours ago, DJB said:

The guy is a 3T and not what we need at DT lol

Yes he has a similar skill set to Oliver. We need more depth behind Jones as later in the draft DT’s are plentiful in the Oliver mode. Sweat and the big DT from Texas AM are the other DT’s who fit in the Jones mode. 2nd or 3rd round. Then in 4th-6th get the other DT. Just my thoughts 💭 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No it isn't. By our 2nd round pick we'll be choosing from the likes of Malachi Corley and Brenden Rice. Fine players that would be decent picks at that spot. But not likely difference makers. Do the easy thing and take a WR first. It is by far the most likely choice to have a meaningful impact on the team.

Harrison Phillips was drafted higher than any WR under this regime. Think about that.

I think that you have to count the draft choice used to acquire Stefan Diggs as being used on a WR.  When Allen was young, they filled in at WR with vets to help him out.  

I do hope that they take a WR early, but they should do that because there is a need at WR and hopefully there is a good WR available at their pick - they should not do it just because they haven’t recently drafted any WR early.  

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No it isn't. By our 2nd round pick we'll be choosing from the likes of Malachi Corley and Brenden Rice. Fine players that would be decent picks at that spot. But not likely difference makers. Do the easy thing and take a WR first. It is by far the most likely choice to have a meaningful impact on the team.

Harrison Phillips was drafted higher than any WR under this regime. Think about that.

Don’t wait until our pick. Go up and get a WR in the mid 2nd in that scenario.

They haven’t drafted WR high because they hit on the Diggs trade, hit on John Brown, hit on Beasley, hit on Davis, hit on Shakir. Josh has had weapons. The years they really needed that WR early it just didn’t unfold how they probably wanted to, 2022 they really needed a slot. But they still got Shakir later in 2022. Then they spent a 1st on Kincaid.

When they absolutely need a WR they tend to add multiple. Diggs and Davis in 2020, Hodgins late. They will spend a 1st or 2nd on a WR this year. So in the year they lose Gabe Davis they will have added Curtis Samuel and a 1st or 2nd round WR and probably another later. A year after using a 1st on Kincaid. 

They know what they’re doing. I would probably say after QB that OL, DL, and WR/TE are the position groups you need to solidify. WR/TE will be set after the draft. OL is set. I’m not sure about DL.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There are always people who want to throw a first round pick at any perceived position of need.    Even if it's devalued.   There is a very vocal minority that often suggests RB in round 1 every year so any position outside of ST only will please some people if it's a perceived immediate need.

So true. I've seen folks call for a 1st round safety. Amazing.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Johnny Newton is a steal at #28, I really do. He is a top 10 talent in this class for me. I absolutely love him. 

However, I will make the same point I have made over and over.... the second best and most impactful player on the Bills in 2023 was Ed Oliver. He played 70% of the snaps and when you have paid a DL that kind of money you need them to be on the field in that range. Newton is a 3T. Can he play some 1T, sure. Hell Ed Oliver played a ton of 1T his second season with the Bills when Star opted out because the other DTs sucked against the run. But that isn't where you will see him to best effect. Newton can be a stud 3T in the NFL. But I don't think the Bills can afford to spend their 1st round pick on the second most settled position on the team after Quarterback. 

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Conspicuous absence on that list there

He is two spots off the bottom of that list and yet just outplayed half those above him. 

13 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Zuerlein has us giving a 4th to go up 2 spots for Latu.  NFL.com pro comparison: TJ Watt

I am not into trading up for him, but if Latu got to #28 I'd pick him. 

6 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So Ed Oliver is what.. just a fart in the wind? 

His point was in 7 drafts they have drafted exactly two defensive tackles - Oliver and Phillips. That is because they have spent way too many FA $$s there IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Zuerlein has us giving a 4th to go up 2 spots for Latu.  NFL.com pro comparison: TJ Watt

Gonna step out on a limb here and say he wont be TJ Watt

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Uh oh, do I sense weakness in your leader?

Not all, but the majority of those guys are 3Ts. We have our stud 3T. So taking a DT at #28 is either taking a guy who is taking snaps off one of your best players (that's not wise) or you are taking a 1T. And a 1T in the first round is just bad allocation of resources. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not all, but the majority of those guys are 3Ts. We have our stud 3T. So taking a DT at #28 is either taking a guy who is taking snaps off one of your best players (that's not wise) or you are taking a 1T. And a 1T in the first round is just bad allocation of resources. 

As exciting as pairing Newton and Oliver even on passing downs only, yeah, I just can't justifying the pick. Gotta be WR 1a followed by DE 1b.

14 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Sure, why not?

Not like we haven't bargain-basemented the WR position up till now.

Can't ever have enough DL.

Sounds like your putting a awful lot of faith in the WR room they have this year with those they have picked up !!

I hope they can get Legget in the draft i believe he would be the perfect fit here on this offense but if he's not there & there is a close to elite talent at their pick i would rather they get that player than reach .

3 minutes ago, T master said:

Sounds like your putting a awful lot of faith in the WR room they have this year with those they have picked up !!

I hope they can get Legget in the draft i believe he would be the perfect fit here on this offense but if he's not there & there is a close to elite talent at their pick i would rather they get that player than reach .

Sarcasm detector malfunctioning

• Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Johnny Newton is a steal at #28, I really do. He is a top 10 talent in this class for me. I absolutely love him. 

However, I will make the same point I have made over and over.... the second best and most impactful player on the Bills in 2023 was Ed Oliver. He played 70% of the snaps and when you have paid a DL that kind of money you need them to be on the field in that range. Newton is a 3T. Can he play some 1T, sure. Hell Ed Oliver played a ton of 1T his second season with the Bills when Star opted out because the other DTs sucked against the run. But that isn't where you will see him to best effect. Newton can be a stud 3T in the NFL. But I don't think the Bills can afford to spend their 1st round pick on the second most settled position on the team after Quarterback. 

He is two spots off the bottom of that list and yet just outplayed half those above him. 

I am not into trading up for him, but if Latu got to #28 I'd pick him. 

His point was in 7 drafts they have drafted exactly two defensive tackles - Oliver and Phillips. That is because they have spent way too many FA $$s there IMO.

Zuerlein had us trading to 26 with TB for a 4th and if he has the ability to be T.J. Watt then, no argument from me. However, if let's say Chop or Darius Robinson is sitting there, I'm looking to trade back with AZ. and pick up pick 71.

Then, I'm all for trading next year's 1st to say GB for 41 and 88, which would give us...

rd.2 35,41, 60

rd.3  71, 88

rd.4 128, 133

rd 5  3 picks

rd.6  3 picks

Beane could really make hay and he absolutely has to. We cannot sit on our thumbs with nothing from 60 to 128

Edited by nosejob

Seeing the refs largely allow offensive lines to get away with murder during the playoffs where top defensive linemen are often neutered by uncalled holdings, go wide receiver. We need to take advantage of a league that favors offense and finally give Allen multiple legitimate threats at receiving core. Drafting another defensive lineman in the first who will be neutered in the playoffs is the wrong move. Go wide receiver first and make defenses really fear our offense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

No worries, Just wait, it will be a safety as our first pick next week…,