Center Train is off and running

I know folks are clamoring for WR in the first round but if there’s a plug and play center available to protect Josh for the next 5-10 years you need to get him.  Morse was really good but he got pushed around too often.  If they knew they weren’t keeping Morse I don’t understand why they traded Bates unless they really thought he couldn’t do the job.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Is the Law Office of Jackson Powers-Johnson a surefire rookie starter and eventual Pro Bowler?

He looks like one to me.  Wouldn’t be happy with him over a WR, but wouldn’t mind it if we were to find a way to also land one of the top 10 WRs in the class.  

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I mean sources saying McGovern was moving to center immediately after they released Morse seemed odd to me. Smokescreen?

No,he can play center.

2 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

I know folks are clamoring for WR in the first round but if there’s a plug and play center available to protect Josh for the next 5-10 years you need to get him.  Morse was really good but he got pushed around too often.  If they knew they weren’t keeping Morse I don’t understand why they traded Bates unless they really thought he couldn’t do the job.

He was traded because they didn't believe he could do the job, McGovern can.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know he can. But to release that the day Morse was cut months before camps is weird.

I think it's 2 fold.  1) that was their offseason plan and just simply announced it. And 2) they were maybe trying to mitigate the fan base crapping themselves wondering what the plan is at Center like they are at Safety?

If so,#2 failed for both Safety and Center.

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

It's hard for me to hate on the possibility of another Eric Wood anchoring the O-line for another decade. I'd prefer WR or S, but we can get decent fits there in rounds 2-3 and a center would let McGovern stay at LG.

Look - I'm all for safety first, but not in this case.

4 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

I'm all for it.  They have made the offensive line weaker so far and I am scared of what would happen if this is the starting five and something were to happen to mcgovern.  

They simply have to add a real center

We have no way of knowing how well McGovern can play center until preseason games, etc.  There’s just as good of a chance that he’s very good as there is for a rookie who’s never played in the NFL.   I’d count on the veteran.

12 hours ago, NoSaint said:

At 10m you could get a fringe top 5 center, or settle for a not even top 5 WR2

Even so, it’d be less than 10m in cap savings compared to a mediocre wr being the same (and a top guy being 25m)

1st round has to be an impact player.  That excludes Center.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I understand the reason they cut Morse but I'm not sure of the reasoning for making more changes on the O-Line. Last year McGovern came in and played really well at LG and Dawkins had one of his better seasons playing next to him. By moving McGovern you're making two changes on the line.

The way I see it @ Center ...  Morse > McGovern and @ LG ... McGovern > Edwards ... To me that's weakening two positions on the line when a young "Creed Humphrey" type is available to plug and play and be Josh Allen's Center the rest of his career.

When was the last time McGovern played Center ? ... I thought the Cowboys experimented with him there but ended up leaving him at Guard.

I believe Edwards has played some Center as well and could fill in until a (Frazier or Van Pran in round 2) is ready to go and leave McGovern where he played so well last season, but the coaches see them everyday and I'm just a fan sitting at home on a message board.

On any given play there's only one football but there are 5 guys on the line blocking for your QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

You guys might be surprised if the center is already here and it's not McGovern. Beane wouldn't have moved off both Bates and Morse if he didn't think so. I'd look for if a project C slides into the 4th or 5th with big athletic upside, like Tortellini or whatever.

11 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

McDermott is not going to start a rookie at center.  

If he is a stud he definitely would, anyone would.   They ran left seemingly all game long every week last year and now they have changed that up.

if the center spot and left guard are below average or worse than last years performance at the same spots then wr are going to be a secondary issue.  

If I ran a team like the bills and had a qb like Allen i would be turning over every rock each season to be my best on the line of scrimmage in front of him, the easier it is for allen the better the team will be.

The chiefs and the eagles while andy reid was there always draft on the line of scrimmage.  

anyway, I think The Bills would put a rookie center in on day one like like they did last year at right guard if the player was an excellent one.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Hear me out Nate!

When someone says that they are 99 percent of the time talking about something that is a bad idea ..

Just take a WR at 28 … there will definitely be good options still available at that point … just pick the right guy Beane ! 

Center can happen later … WR is definitely the bigger need 

Agree, don’t make an easy decision hard, just do the smart thing, WR at 28. They still have ten more picks to follow up. 

I have assumed since the Morse release that this is what Beane's plan is.  I think (actually I hope) that Beane was just throwing a little shade on his plans with the McGovern talk.

A great center is a solid investment for a decade.  WRs come and go much more quickly.

Edited by Utah John
  • Like (+1) 1

If you could guarantee me I am getting Legette at #60 then sure, I'd live with JPJ at #28 (if he even makes it that far). But nobody can guarantee that. Beane can't know that. If you pick an IOL in round 1 and end up with a WR that doesn't fit the bill later that is just bad asset management, however good JPJ ends up being. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Literally the late 20s has always been the sweet spot for center's off the board in rd 1

But there's probably going to be more impactful players left

why literally?

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Agree, don’t make an easy decision hard, just do the smart thing, WR at 28. They still have ten more picks to follow up. 

The first round should always be the best player available.  They really shouldn't force a WR here when there are more to take throughout the weekend.  Every year teams find players at wr from every round and UDFA.

The team has a glaring hole at center, safety and pass rusher.  They really should let the draft come to them, no trading up and take the best available player.  If it is a WR then that is fine that is the right move.  

Chasing players and drafting for need in the first round usually gets teams in trouble.  

also anyone who thinks center is not an impact position is crazy.  Go back and watch the KC Buffalo game, the Chiefs O Line whipped the Bills defensive line.  

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

well after reading Tim Graham's athletic article on McGovern just now....I pretty much am wrong and this team in no way will take a center in the first round.  McGovern is the center.

https://theathletic.com/5348891/2024/03/19/connor-mcgovern-bills-center-transition/

So its down to safety, D-line and WR.

Any cliffs notes on the article? I really like the idea of McGovern at center so I wanna feel good about myself!