How will Brady use our RBs, WRs, and TEs this coming season?

Brady as a coach has a couple of claims to fame.  He was the Passing Game Coordinator at LSU that helped coach Burrow, Chase, Jefferson and Edwards-Helaire to a National Championship, and at Carolina, despite an injury to McCaffrey, the Panthers had 4 non-QBs players go over 1000 yards from scrimmage.  The 4 were boundary receivers Moore and Anderson, RB Mike Davis and slot receiver Samuel. Samuel had 850 yards receiving and 200 rushing.  That year the Panthers barely utilized the TE, Teddy Bridgewater rushed for 279 yards and 5 TDs, but today rushing attempts were about 100 less than the Bills last season (but also on 130 less snaps over the course of the season).

At LSU, they relied on their big 3 playmakers, but also utilized a big No 3 receiver, 6-2 200 Marshall, in the red zone for 670 yards and 13 TDs.  
At Carolina, once McCaffrey went down, Brady pretty much relied only on the big 4 1000 yard guys.

So what does this mean for the Bills and Allen next season?  Less running by Josh & Cook?  Will Knox be utilized at all as a receiver?  If they add a speed WR in the draft, how big an impact will be have, especially if Shakir moves to the boundary as the Athletic speculated? Will Samuel see 90+ targets like he did in Carolina and Wash?  How many targets will Diggs lose from his standard 160 the last 4 years? Since he’s never had a good TE until now, will that change how much he game plans to throw to the boundary?  How much 11.5 & 12 personnel will we see?  

For reference the Bills have averaged 1111 O snaps per season the last 4 years, and taking out penalties, they have averaged 601 pass attempts and 468 rushes.

Ultimately how do you breakdown the allocation of snaps and targets to our RBs, WRs and TEs next season?

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Running Back like this:

running back football GIF by Pitt Panthers

Receiver like this:

ny giants football GIF

Tight End like this:

north carolina football GIF by UNC Tar Heels

I do feel like our receivers tend to not make those incredible catches as much as other teams have. I think it is once or twice a game I see really amazing catches when I watch other teams. It's like once every few games for the Bills. I'm not really sure why. Maybe because of how hard Allen can throw it? Maybe because we don't have contested catch guys?

Edited by MJS
  • Agree 3

Brady did use the RBs on wheels and seems last year. That was the biggest change I saw was the utilization of Cook in the passing game. 

My hope is they’ll stretch Kincaid more downfield. TEs chipped way too much last year for my liking. Hopefully that changes now that Brown has hopefully reached his potential that he showed late last year 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Brady did use the RBs on wheels and seems last year. That was the biggest change I saw was the utilization of Cook in the passing game. 

My hope is they’ll stretch Kincaid more downfield. TEs chipped way too much last year for my liking. Hopefully that changes now that Brown has hopefully reached his potential that he showed late last year 

The Bills were definitely more balanced between rush and pass that season (579 to 512).  Cook's carries jumped to 237 from 89, while Josh's carries fell from 124 to 111.  I think that is a trend that will likely continue and is one of the reasons Beane and the Bills is working hard to add more weapons.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan

I see Samuel used more than Gabe. I see Knox slowly phased out in 2024 and becoming a post June cut in 2025. I honestly have no clue what to expect from Diggs?  I do expect Kincaid, Shakir and our early drafted wr to have increased roles. I wish I could count on Cook to catch a ball, but I think he's destined to be a 1st/2nd down back.

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I see Samuel used more than Gabe. I see Knox slowly phased out in 2024 and becoming a post June cut in 2025. I honestly have no clue what to expect from Diggs?  I do expect Kincaid, Shakir and our early drafted wr to have increased roles. I wish I could count on Cook to catch a ball, but I think he's destined to be a 1st/2nd down back.

Cook's catch rate last year jumped from 65.6% to 81.5% on a 67% increase in targets.  He jumped from 21 catches in 2022 to 44 in 2023 for 445 yards.  It's possible Samuel eats into come of those catch opportunities, but I watch Cook a great deal in college, and he steadily improved each season.  In the final year, he was amazing at catching the ball out of the backfield.  I suspect he'll be even better this coming season.  He has that work ethic to get better.  

• Like (+1) 2

I think Shakir will end up on the boundary some.  I know brady likes to utilize bunch formations quite a bit.  I hope he looks into ways to use motion to both block and identify and create mismatches.  

Things I'd like to see -

Kincaid on the LOS in those bunch formations - Diggs iso on the other side
Kincaid off the LOS in motion - Wham blocks in the run game. 

Shakir as a boundary player.  

Samuel in the backfield.  Move the dude around some. 

Cook as a WR in a spread formation with diggs also in the slot.  

Attacking the middle of the field in cover 2 with 2 TE sets.  

Running from under center to add some improved play action elements to the offense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was reading a review of the Bills off-season.  The guy lost me when he said Samuel was a Davis replacement.  If you are going to write and article about the Bills, it seems to me you should know that Samuel is not a replacement for Davis.  He isn't a boundary receiver.  If anything he is the new slot receiver and Shakir is being moved outside.  

The truth is the new boundary receiver is probably going to be an early round draft pick.  My guess is some like Worthy or Legette in the second round.  The question is how soon Brady incorporates the early draft pick into the offense.  My guess is that the kid will force Brady's hand because he'll be the only true vertical/deep threat in the offense.  If you look at how Brady coached at LSU and Carolina, the two boundary WRs received most of the targets, but he never had a TE like he now has with Kincaid.  

I see the Bills passing more next season, but many of these passes to Cook and Samuel as run substitutes such as a variety of screen plays and checkdowns.  I'm think we'll see a continued decrease in Allen running plays, except in the red zone.  We'll also see much less of Diggs this season.  The funny thing is that I see his catch rate increasing which will keep him as an over 1000 yard receiver, despite a 20% drop in targets from 160 to 130 or less.

Last year the targets (out of 545) were Diggs 160, Kincaid 91, Davis 81, Cook 54, Shakir 45, Knox 36, Other RBs 32, Other WR 43s & Morris 1.  Next season I'm seeing Diggs at 125, Kincaid 120, Shakir 80, Samuel 70, Cook 60, Rookie WR 45, Knox 35, Hollins 25, others (Morris and Johnson) 15. 

Note: Pass Attempts were 579 and targets 545.  I assume the rest to be Ints and throwaways.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

If they get say a Leggett in the draft and pair him with what they have already on the team the possibilities should be endless ! He should have a answer for every single scheme against him there should be no excuse for this offense when they have the ball to not score on nearly every possession this season .

I don't know that any OC could be walking into a better situation than Brady has inherited this should be a dream come true scenario if he can't get it done with what he has available to him there is something really wrong some where .

Dorsey's fate was of his own making he had many diverse talented players and he didn't utilize them to their full potential which is a big reason why he is o longer with the team and seeing what Brady did last year then giving him even more weapons this season should prove to be very exciting for Bills fans !! 

GO BILLS !!!