FA signings of Samuel and Hollins impact on the WR draft strategy?

Draft impact of Samuel and Hollins  

203 members have voted

1. 1. What impact will Samuel and Hollins have on Beane's WR draft strategy?

• Stays put at 28, but nothing changes and still takes a WR
    • Won't go WR early and will wait until day 3 and find value in a deep draft
    • Looks to trade up to get a WR1 top end prospect to take over for Diggs in a year or 2
    • Looks to trade down and take a WR while adding some more draft assets
    • Other - Post below

We need a true #2 possible #1 with elite speed and route running, great hands at 6'2 205 lb, that can stretch the field on the outside and go up for 50/50 balls when required.  We don't have that on this team right now IMO,  and still no true #2 WR opposite of Digg's.  We still need this at WR,  and I hate to say it, but Digg's will be in a decline this year.  We will have to wait and see.  I did not like what Digg's showed us on the field at the end of last year.  We will have to wait and see.  Samuel will help with the 10 to 20 yard range with YAC,  that we also sorely lacked.

Edited by Toyo321

Another possibility. Beane could go DL in the 1st then trade up in the second and grab a WR(Why wait until day 3). I think his off season moves give him some flexibility. Every year Beane does something I don't expect.  It's almost guaranteed he'll do it again. Although, he might really surprise me and not do any trades. Perhaps your right, Alphadawg7. It just seems to me that moving up in the 1st to get his guy might be too rich.

Edited by Rockinon

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I felt VERY strongly about addressing the WR room last year for the eventual Davis and then Diggs replacement, and Brandon Beane drafted a TE, an OG and a backup weakside linebacker. And signed Sherfield and Harty in FA

I don’t know what’s going on in Beane’s head but it’s clear he and I are not on the same page.

Well last year and this year are very different.  And I do personally know for a fact Beane called at least one team to try and get Addison and I shared that intel after the draft last year.  

And Kincaid was the best offensive weapon on the board when we picked and proved to be a player for us on the rise already.  Also, I kept telling everyone not to sleep on Shakir and that he was a breakout candidate and the FO loved him so the WR room wasn't as dire as some made out to be.  Shakir then proved that to be true on the field in 2023 (thank god Dorsey was fired).  

But Beane knows its different this year...Davis is gone, Diggs will be 31 this year with an expensive contract, and we are in the midst of one of the best WR drafts ever.  It is pretty much a lock he will be drafting one, so don't think you have much to worry about there.  Question is more when does he pull the trigger.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive seen some differing thoughts in a number of threads on what this means now for the draft.  So posting this poll to see how people see these signings impacting Beane's aggressiveness of adding a WR in the draft.  Beane has made no secret about our interest in taking a WR, so this doesn't change that, we are still drafting at least one WR in the draft.  

The questions now come down to when, how aggressive we will or won't be, etc.  We have now have youth below WR1 Diggs for a few years with Samuel, Shakir and Kincaid here (not counting Shorter until he shows he belongs in the league first).  So knowing Beane still is almost certainly taking a WR in this draft, how do you think it impacts Beane's approach to this draft in regards to the WR position now?

I think 95% of this board believed you had to add sooooome viable but not game changing vet, and a couple low on the roster bodies before targeting a future WR1 in the draft… 

• Agree 1

I believe the top 6 will be gone and the Bills drop back into 2nd and grab a late 3rd round pick in the deal.  Can see them taking Tez Walker in the 2nd and / or Ryan Flournoy in the 5th.  

Edited by freddyjj
  • Disagree 2

Personally, I think the addition of Samuel on a 3 year deal opens up the aggressiveness for Beane to go get his guy who he believes can be the heir to Diggs.  Between Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid...we have those guys in their prime for at least 3 years or more.  Diggs is 31 and we are going to need a true WR1 to replace him potentially as soon as next year, or the year after that.  

So, IMHO Beane isn't going WR2 hunting in this draft now, I think his focus is on that true WR1 talent that can come in and learn from Diggs and be ready to take over next year or the year after for him.  

My way too early thoughts on this right now are that I think the odds of Beane trading up to get someone like Thomas (or if one of the big 3 slide because someone over-drafts Worthy based on his crazy 40 time) have increased with the Samuel deal.  

And with Hollins addition (excellent blocker and ST player) I think we may not double dip on WR now, and instead use the extra pick(s) as part of the move up and then use the rest of the picks to fill other holes on the roster, mostly defense and maybe an IOL like a C.  

i hope you are correct

• Like (+1) 1

Ive seen some differing thoughts in a number of threads on what this means now for the draft.  So posting this poll to see how people see these signings impacting Beane's aggressiveness of adding a WR in the draft.  Beane has made no secret about our interest in taking a WR, so this doesn't change that, we are still drafting at least one WR in the draft.  

The questions now come down to when, how aggressive we will or won't be, etc.  We have now have youth below WR1 Diggs for a few years with Samuel, Shakir and Kincaid here (not counting Shorter until he shows he belongs in the league first).  So knowing Beane still is almost certainly taking a WR in this draft, how do you think it impacts Beane's approach to this draft in regards to the WR position now?

I see it as these 2 moves allow Beane flexibility to react to how the draft board falls. 

Without having a 3rd it would make it more difficult to slide up a few spots (say to 24ish) if the guy they like is there. I see it as them viewing the idea that they won't have that slide up flexibility. By the time they pick they may be out of guys with 1st round grades anyway.

So come pick 28 it gives them the options of taking a player or, if the opportunity is there to slide out of the first round, perhaps pick that 3rd rounder back up and address 2 spots in round 2. I'll just say if they came out of round 2 with a DT (or S) and a WR....I wouldn't complain.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I see it as these 2 moves allow Beane flexibility to react to how the draft board falls. 

Without having a 3rd it would make it more difficult to slide up a few spots (say to 24ish) if the guy they like is there. I see it as them viewing the idea that they won't have that slide up flexibility. By the time they pick they may be out of guys with 1st round grades anyway.

So come pick 28 it gives them the options of taking a player or, if the opportunity is there to slide out of the first round, perhaps pick that 3rd rounder back up and address 2 spots in round 2. I'll just say if they came out of round 2 with a DT (or S) and a WR....I wouldn't complain.

There are WRs that will go in round 2 this year that I think would be round 1 guys in other years.  

Im all for a trade back if we can’t get Thomas or Mitchell in the first (I wouldn’t pass those 2 up if we can get one).  Would love to pick up a third and still be able to get someone like McConkey, Leggette, Coleman, Franklin, Pearsall, etc and some defensive help all in the 2nd.  

I’m not married to any one outcome this year because I know how deep WR is for this draft.

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There are WRs that will go in round 2 this year that I think would be round 1 guys in other years.  

Im all for a trade back if we can’t get Thomas or Mitchell in the first (I wouldn’t pass those 2 up if we can get one).  Would love to pick up a third and still be able to get someone like McConkey, Leggette, Coleman, Franklin, Pearsall, etc and some defensive help all in the 2nd.  

I’m not married to any one outcome this year because I know how deep WR is for this draft.

Yeah, I've purposely not staked claim to any one or two WRs as a "this is THE guy". I too view there being several guys round 2 that would be amazing in this offense.

Most mocks I have run (and I understand it's a worthless exercise lol) I've traded back to that 38-42 range and come away with Leggette and Sweat with extra picks on the back end. That would make me feel best coming out of the draft. However u til draft night and seeing how the actual board falls there's no way of knowing.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Personally, I think the addition of Samuel on a 3 year deal opens up the aggressiveness for Beane to go get his guy who he believes can be the heir to Diggs.  Between Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid...we have those guys in their prime for at least 3 years or more.  Diggs is 31 and we are going to need a true WR1 to replace him potentially as soon as next year, or the year after that.  

So, IMHO Beane isn't going WR2 hunting in this draft now, I think his focus is on that true WR1 talent that can come in and learn from Diggs and be ready to take over next year or the year after for him.  

My way too early thoughts on this right now are that I think the odds of Beane trading up to get someone like Thomas (or if one of the big 3 slide because someone over-drafts Worthy based on his crazy 40 time) have increased with the Samuel deal.  

And with Hollins addition (excellent blocker and ST player) I think we may not double dip on WR now, and instead use the extra pick(s) as part of the move up and then use the rest of the picks to fill other holes on the roster, mostly defense and maybe an IOL like a C.  

I think this is the most rational plan. It weds daring to reason, which is a good combination. Fortune favors the bold, but not often the foolhardy. I don't think this is foolish, but all we can do is guess at what Beane is thinking. This is a plausible interpretation, and it was my first thought when they signed Samuel. However, I'm sure McD wants his DL or Cooper Dejean, so it could still go in many diverse directions. Nearly six weeks till we have an answer, plenty of time for folks to speculate trading away Diggs or deciding to take defensive players in the top two rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

Whatever the case, Beane needs to target a Diggs replacement in round 1.

Anything else and I'm on the "Clean House" bandwagon. Both Beane and McDermott can kick rocks.

My gut says Mitchell is their guy.

Edited by Chicken Boo

Until I know what's available at 28 all of these options are questionable. I mean as the roster stands now a DLineman looks like the biggest need outside of Safety but I don't see any Safety prospects with Round 1 grades. Also Hollis is 30 and in a 1 year deal. So if a WR falls to us at 28, I wouldn't pass on one unless a quality DT or DE is on the board. 

• Like (+1) 1

I want us to trade up for Nabers or Odunze tbh. It will cost a lot to do so though. But if we can land one of them by trading with the Bears @ #9, I'm good with that. If not, I would move into the late teens for Thomas. If none of this works out, I'm good with Mitchell or Legette @ #28. 

20 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Anything else and I'm on the "Clean House" bandwagon. Both Beane and McDermott can kick rocks.

Mitchell, I think, is the best attainable choice. The top 3 are out of reach, and Thomas would be way too expensive. (But if he falls a bit, yes, go get him.) After Mitchell, there's some drop off, you can argue how much. I like Legette more than most, but you can probably get him in the second. I wouldn't take Coleman in the first, but I'm okay in the second. Mitchell is the WR who if he hits is WR1 on a rookie contract for five years. And you might not need to make a ridiculous leap up to grab him. If I were Beane, I'm probably not waiting for KC or someone else to knife me in the back. Folks can cry all they want about Beane getting antsy, I'd trade up to fend off the wolves.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Yeah. Absolutely. I hate being in the playoffs 5 of 6 years. 

• Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

I want us to trade up for Nabers or Odunze tbh. It will cost a lot to do so though. But if we can land one of them by trading with the Bears @ #9, I'm good with that. If not, I would move into the late teens for Thomas. If none of this works out, I'm good with Mitchell or Legette @ #28. 

I think a move that big is really only appropriate for a QB.  I think if Odunze gets into the back end of the teens or even to the twenties thanks to a combo of a big QB run and someone foolishly taking Worthy before Odunze then it’s a no brainer, assuming someone was willing to pass on him themselves and take a trade down.  

• Like (+1) 1