Aaron Donald has announced his retirement

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

First ballot HOF for sure.

Where would most put him on top 100 of all time?

It's hard because DT doesn't make the splash plays.

I'd say maybe somewhere around 50-70.

Great question and really difficult to quantify.

In his prime, there are only a handful of defenders (all-time) id take over him. Very few players could take over games like could.

Even when was think of today's very good players, how many really take over a game? Not many. Donald did that. A lot. And in key moments. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

First ballot HOF for sure.

Where would most put him on top 100 of all time?

It's hard because DT doesn't make the splash plays.

I'd say maybe somewhere around 50-70.

I would even say 30-40. I've never seen a player beat TRIPLE teams like he could since Sapp. 

Edited by Roundybout

24 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Great question and really difficult to quantify.

In his prime, there are only a handful of defenders (all-time) id take over him. Very few players could take over games like could.

Even when was think of today's very good players, how many really take over a game? Not many. Donald did that. A lot. And in key moments. 

100% agree. But I'm talking history of the whole league. Just don't see DT making as big an impact as other positions.  

Maybe phrase it differently.  Where does he rank in DTs all time? Bob Lilly, Mean Joe Greene, Randy White, Merlin Olsen. He's probably not worse than 3rd on that list if not number 1!

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

I would even say 30-40. I've never seen a player beat TRIPLE teams like he could since Sapp. 

I've haven't seen a defensive lineman bully 6'5" 340lb men like that since Reggie White, and like you said, there would sometimes be 2 or 3 of them.  

Beastly!

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

100% agree. But I'm talking history of the whole league. Just don't see DT making as big an impact as other positions.  

Maybe phrase it differently.  Where does he rank in DTs all time? Bob Lilly, Mean Joe Greene, Randy White, Merlin Olsen. He's probably not worse than 3rd on that list if not number 1!

Good list but as big of an ***hole as he is you can't leave off Warren Sapp.  He was a beast in his prime.  Dan Hampton deserves some love too.  

7 hours ago, Gregg said:

Definite 1st ballot HOF and one of the most dominant players on defense I ever witnessed. Between White, Smith, LT, Lewis to name a few that I watched as well. It would be a good discussion for fans who was the most dominant defensive player they watched in their lifetime.

LT is his own tier, imo. With those guys and a few other (Prime, Reed, Watt) on the next exclusive tier.

7 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

"Retired" until December when he joins whoever is in 1st place

I think we know who that might be right …? 

7 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

I wonder how long before he misses football.

December 

7 hours ago, blacklabel said:

His talent is undeniable. But he's been low key one of the dirtiest players in the game for a while. And he'd throw massive sh*t-fits any time an OL got the better of him. So...I dunno, adios, turd nugget. 

Sure you're not confusing him with Ndamukong Suh?

• Thank you (+1) 1

So, he resigned then…, 

On 3/15/2024 at 4:08 PM, frostbitmic said:

Looking at that picture, I'm guessing Josh already gave the stiff arm to the two Rams laying on the field and he was going after Donald next.

No... this was the play he grabbed the edge rusher by the facemask and threw him into the opposite side edge rusher, then stiff-armed Donald to avoid the sack and threw the ball away into the endzone... ultimately to get called for the facemask. Despite the personal foul and the thrown away ball, it's one of my favorite Allen plays because of the sheer determination involved...

• Like (+1) 1