Running Back- whats the plan?

Pete

On 3/15/2024 at 7:02 AM, BarleyNY said:

Agree 100%. Cook wore down last season. We absolutely need a complimentary RB who can take a good bit of the load off of him. 

How do you come to this conclusion?

First half he had 102 carries for 486 yards and 1 rushing TD.

Second half he had 135 carries for 636 yards and 1 rushing TD.  

If there's a criticism, it should be regarding his utilization, which is coaching.

He had only four 3rd-down carries and six 3rd-down touches all season.  That's ridiculous.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/15/2024 at 1:59 PM, Gugny said:

He didn’t wear down; they stopped giving him the ball.  

He only had over 20 carries in one game all season (25 for 179 yards). 

It’s amazing what running backs can do when they get a chance. 

Again, how do you come to this conclusion?

I'm the first ten games he averaged 12 carries/games.

In the last seven games he averaged almost 19 carries/ game.  

At the end of the day this is the RB "that they wanted." If he's not adequate or might be wise to start asking questions about our draft strategies.  We draft a lot of good players but no great ones.  

Cook was diminutive with speed which they were enamored with and which was fully known.  If there are problems getting "the process" to work like that, them that's on them.  

Singletary had a great season in Houston, and had he started all 17 games, based upon his average, he'd have logged over 1,500 rushing yards in Houston.  

Could be us, namely our coaching.  

Edited by PBF81

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

How do you come to this conclusion?

First half he had 102 carries for 486 yards and 1 rushing TD.

Second half he had 135 carries for 636 yards and 1 rushing TD.  

If there's a criticism, it should be regarding his utilization, which is coaching.

He had only four 3rd-down carries and six 3rd-down touches all season.  That's ridiculous.  

I can’t take credit for that. It was from Joe Marino on his Locked On Bills podcast. I think it was his RB review one. I’ll try to re-create what he did. 

Under Dorsey in 10 games Cook had 120 carries and 24 receptions. Extrapolate those 144 touches to a full 17 game season and you get 245 regular season touches. 

Under Brady in 9 games (including 2 playoff games) Cook had 153 carries and 28 receptions. Extrapolate those  171 touches to a full 17 game season and you get 323 regular season touches. 

Marino went on to talk about the relatively light workload Cook had in college and that in his rookie season he only had 110 regular season touches. So his usage even under Dorsey would have been the heaviest of his career. Under Brady is an even bigger step up than that. So if we want him to be able to perform in the playoffs we should get him some help. 

Cook didn’t look the same to me (or Marino) at season’s end or in the playoffs. I think the workload was the main reason for the fall off of his play mainly because I can’t think of any other explanation (other than unreported injury). 

Edited by BarleyNY

RB is not a major concern right now.  They’re a dime a dozen and not even necessary to draft one.  And in all honestly, we may be throwing the ball more than we ever have this year.  Our defense is setting up to be rather questionable so a good chance we’ll be behind on the scoreboard and will need JA’s arm

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I can’t take credit for that. It was from Joe Marino on his Locked On Bills podcast. I think it was his RB review one. I’ll try to re-create what he did. 

Under Dorsey in 10 games Cook had 120 carries and 24 receptions. Extrapolate those 144 touches to a full 17 game season and you get 245 regular season touches. 

Under Brady in 9 games (including 2 playoff games) Cook had 153 carries and 28 receptions. Extrapolate those  171 touches to a full 17 game season and you get 323 regular season touches. 

Marino went on to talk about the relatively light workload Cook had in college and that in his rookie season he only had 110 regular season touches. So his usage even under Dorsey would have been the heaviest of his career. Under Brady is an even bigger step up than that. So if we want him to be able to perform in the playoffs we should get him some help. 

Cook didn’t look the same to me (or Marino) at season’s end or in the playoffs. I think the workload was the main reason for the fall off of his play mainly because I can’t think of any other explanation (other than unreported injury). 

I'm not a big Joe Marino fan, IMO his analyses aren't great too understate things.  

Having said that, McBeane knew full well what they were getting when they drafted him.  None of what Marino pointed out is any big secret.

Given that both Moss & Singletary have left here and performed notably better elsewhere, it's certainly within the realm of fairness to question three MO & methods of our offensively challenged coaching staff as well.  

Again, Cook had six total touches on 3rd downs all season.  Dorsey v. Brady doesn't even come into play there.  He had two total rushing TDs, one vs. Miami in garbage time.  

All that I'm positing is that this is the their design for the team.  

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'm not a big Joe Marino fan, IMO his analyses aren't great too understate things.  

Having said that, McBeane knew full well what they were getting when they drafted him.  None of what Marino pointed out is any big secret.

Given that both Moss & Singletary have left here and performed notably better elsewhere, it's certainly within the realm of fairness to question three MO & methods of our offensively challenged coaching staff as well.  

Again, Cook had six total touches on 3rd downs all season.  Dorsey v. Brady doesn't even come into play there.  He had two total rushing TDs, one vs. Miami in garbage time.  

Devin Singletary had the lowest yard per touch of his career last year. He also had the second fewest TD’s of his career. He had less yards from scrimmage than his two previous years in Buffalo, with more touches. 

Notably better elsewhere?

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Devin Singletary had the lowest yard per touch of his career last year. He also had the second fewest TD’s of his career. He had less yards from scrimmage than his two previous years in Buffalo, with more touches. 

Has he started the entire season he'd was on pace for 1,500 yards.  

Different offense and QB down there.  Does this really need an explanation?

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If happily take 1,500 yards and 1,800 yards from scrimmage on 4.2 YPC here.  Happily.

Just now, PBF81 said:

????

He had the worst yard per touch in his career. Had he gotten more touches in Buffalo, he would’ve had bigger numbers too lol. What does this prove?

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

????

He had the worst yard per touch in his career. Had he gotten more touches in Buffalo, he would’ve had bigger numbers too lol. What does this prove?

It doesn't sound as if you're not paying attention to all of the stuff on this thread.  

But hey, if your end-all-to-be-all indicator of a RB is YPC in a particular system, I have no counter.  

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

If happily take 1,500 yards and 1,800 yards from scrimmage on 4.2 YPC here.  Happily.

Thats great. If Ty Johnson had started every game, he could’ve had those numbers on 4.4 YPC.

See how silly it is to “project” 1500 yards (which means it didn’t happen lmao) and use it to support that he was way better?

Just now, PBF81 said:

It doesn't sound as if you're not paying attention to all of the stuff on this thread.  

But hey, if your end-all-to-be-all indicator of a RB is YPC in a particular system, I have no counter.  

Sorry let me explain. This is how logic works.

You have your thesis “coaching/FO mismanagement is the root of all of our problems”

You have your evidence “Singletary was better with the Texans than he was with the Bills” 

You have your conclusion, “what’s the difference? Coaching.”

Now, here’s how arguing works. Your evidence is wrong. Your evidence sucks. Ergo, your thesis and conclusion is not supported by your evidence.

Your crusade/game is very old. 

And for a kicker, not only did Devin Singletary NOT perform notably better in Houston as I posted here with ACTUAL FACTUAL EVIDENCE.

21 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You started to use his PROJECTED YARDS based on fairy dust to salvage the operation. Which I outlined was laughable as above lol.

Of course you also forgot that those elite coaching gods in Houston ruined Dameon Pierce. Singletary was about as good this year as Pierce was last year. Pierce’s play completely fell off a cliff, due to their own scheme change. Talk about putting a player in a position to succeed, right? What’s the difference between the Texans this year and last year? Coaching? Right?

Sometimes you’re fun to discuss with, but it’s much less fun when you pivot to “you’re missing the point” instead of “you’re blowing my evidence and argument out of the water.”

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

????

BTW, if Singletary had put up 1,500 rushing here, even on 4.2 YPC, and had 1,800 total YFS, no one would have been upset.  ... except for you maybe.  

In other news, when he had 12 or more carries in Houston, the Texans went 7-1.  When he had 58 or more yards they were 6-1.  

And just BTW, in games where he had 16 or more carries, he averaged 4.5 YPC.  

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Thats great. If Ty Johnson had started every game, he could’ve had those numbers on 4.4 YPC.

See how silly it is to “project” 1500 yards (which means it didn’t happen lmao) and use it to support that he was way better?

Sorry let me explain. This is how logic works.

You have your thesis “coaching/FO mismanagement is the root of all of our problems”

You have your evidence “Singletary was better with the Texans than he was with the Bills” 

You have your conclusion, “what’s the difference? Coaching.”

Now, here’s how arguing works. Your evidence is wrong. Your evidence sucks. Ergo, your thesis and conclusion is not supported by your evidence.

Your crusade/game is very old. 

And for a kicker, not only did Devin Singletary NOT perform notably better in Houston as I posted here with ACTUAL FACTUAL EVIDENCE.

You started to use his PROJECTED YARDS based on fairy dust to salvage the operation. Which I outlined was laughable as above lol.

Of course you also forgot that those elite coaching gods in Houston ruined Dameon Pierce. Singletary was about as good this year as Pierce was last year. Pierce’s play completely fell off a cliff, due to their own scheme change. Talk about putting a player in a position to succeed, right? What’s the difference between the Texans this year and last year? Coaching? Right?

Sometimes you’re fun to discuss with, but it’s much less fun when you pivot to “you’re missing the point” instead of “you’re blowing my evidence and argument out of the water.”

You are missing the point, entirely.  

You clearly cannot discern between starting play and non-starting (aka backup/support) play.  I mean what is someone to do with that.  

I didn't control his starting time, here or there.  

The point all along is that on a per-game basis where he (or Moss for that matter) have been the bell cow RB, they've both performed better elsewhere, with lesser QBs, in one case much lesser, in the other, a rookie.  That's meaningless to you though.  OK 

I attribute it to, yes, coaching, but also strategy.  OLs in particular.  I mean what, it's a big secret that we haven't exactly gone world-class in bolstering our OL on Beane's watch or something?  

Anyway, no need to discuss further.  You've made your point, if you truly believe all that, great.  

:) 

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

But when Singletary started here he couldn't.  

Got it!  

Hence my point, as well as questioning whether Ty Johnson would either.  

54 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Cook isn’t a good pass blocker so he’s tough to put in on a lot of third downs. Presumably that would be within the skill set of a complimentary back.

At this point I have no idea what your point is. You seem to be arguing against the assertion that it would be good to bring in some help for Cook. A RB who can take some of the load off of him - especially with the increased workload under Brady - as well as complement his skill set. If so, then I disagree and I’ll leave it there. If not, then what’s your point?

45 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I attribute it to, yes, coaching, but also strategy.  OLs in particular.  I mean what, it's a big secret that we haven't exactly gone world-class in bolstering our OL on Beane's watch or something?  

Anyway, no need to discuss further.  You've made your point, if you truly believe all that, great.  

:) 

But when Singletary started here he couldn't.  

Got it!  

Hence my point, as well as questioning whether Ty Johnson would either.  

BTW, if Singletary had put up 1,500 rushing here, even on 4.2 YPC, and had 1,800 total YFS, no one would have been upset.  ... except for you maybe.  

Except he...... didn't. Ever. If I was a bus, we could all go for a ride.

In other news, when he had 12 or more carries in Houston, the Texans went 7-1.  When he had 58 or more yards they were 6-1.  

Wow, that's impressive.  In 2022, when Singletary had 12 or more carries in Buffalo, the Bills went 7-1.  When he had 58 or more yards, they were 5-0. You have discovered that teams that are winning football games run a lot. That's true.

Wow again. I'm really cooked here. Oh wait, when Singletary had 12 or more carries in Buffalo, he averaged 4.88 YPC. When he had 16 or more carries, he averaged 5.9 YPC. Oops.

The point all along is that on a per-game basis where he (or Moss for that matter) have been the bell cow RB, they've both performed better elsewhere, with lesser QBs, in one case much lesser, in the other, a rookie.

Hard to be more wrong here. By every measure you put out, (except projection where you didn't even show your work for your fake number), Singletary was clearly better in Buffalo last year. You lose. Say uncle.

Edited by FireChans
  • Eyeroll 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:59 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

I've kind of been liking Isaac Guarando from Louisville. Size (6' 221lbs), speed (4.33 40) and some athletic prowess (9.98 RAS).

Unfortunately, he destroyed it at the Combine and I'm seeing him some places projected in round 4, which is a bit higher than I'd want to take a RB this year 

I’d take take him in rd 4. 

On 3/15/2024 at 7:16 AM, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's no need to rush right now.

There's still a lot of veterans out there that could fill the RB2 role. Ezekiel Elliott, Kareem Hunt, Alexander Mattison, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, D'Onta Foreman, Cam Akers - one of these guys will be left without a chair when the music stops and will have to accept what they can get. Just be patient and get the best guy and deal you can get.

Braelon Allen and Audric Estime are two big bodied, powerful runners that we visited with at the Combine. I'm really high on Allen. If they can land one of them on Day 3, I'd pull the trigger.

Kareem Hunt would be solid. Guy is a beast. 

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Cook isn’t a good pass blocker so he’s tough to put in on a lot of third downs. Presumably that would be within the skill set of a complimentary back.

At this point I have no idea what your point is. You seem to be arguing against the assertion that it would be good to bring in some help for Cook. A RB who can take some of the load off of him - especially with the increased workload under Brady - as well as complement his skill set. If so, then I disagree and I’ll leave it there. If not, then what’s your point?

The point is that we're where we are because of deliberate decision-making, yet, they're still trying to figure it out after what, 6 drafts.  

The other point is that Cook is what he is, it's not like it was a big surprise after we drafted him.  

If the situation is inadequate, then it's that way by design, perhaps poor design which some would argue, but either way, by design, aka that's what they wanted.  

Let's not overthink this.  :)

The other part is that maybe they're not so good at planning these things when both Singletary and Moss go to different teams and play better when given the chance to start more often, more carries, more games, more touches, etc.  i.e., maybe it's not primarily the players that are the reasons.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Except he...... didn't. Ever. If I was a bus, we could all go for a ride.

Wow, that's impressive.  In 2022, when Singletary had 12 or more carries in Buffalo, the Bills went 7-1.  When he had 58 or more yards, they were 5-0. You have discovered that teams that are winning football games run a lot. That's true.

Wow again. I'm really cooked here. Oh wait, when Singletary had 12 or more carries in Buffalo, he averaged 4.88 YPC. When he had 16 or more carries, he averaged 5.9 YPC. Oops.

The point all along is that on a per-game basis where he (or Moss for that matter) have been the bell cow RB, they've both performed better elsewhere, with lesser QBs, in one case much lesser, in the other, a rookie.

Hard to be more wrong here. By every measure you put out, (except projection where you didn't even show your work for your fake number), Singletary was clearly better in Buffalo last year. You lose. Say uncle.

You're hilarious. 

OK, let's simply end this then by stating that despite only having 10 starts in Houston, contrasted with 56 starts here, his three biggest games rushing yardage wise were among those 10 in Houston, four of is five biggest games carries wise were also among his 10 in Houston, that it's all purely coincidence.  

45 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You're hilarious. 

OK, let's simply end this then by stating that despite only having 10 starts in Houston, contrasted with 56 starts here, his three biggest games rushing yardage wise were among those 10 in Houston, four of is five biggest games carries wise were also among his 10 in Houston, that it's all purely coincidence.  

A very cool stat. He got the ball more in Houston and was less efficient than he was in Buffalo and scored less touchdowns and had less yards from scrimmage. You’re right, he crushed it.

Of course, Josh also threw the almost 70 times more than CJ did comparing 2022 to 2023.

Josh also rushed almost 90 more times than CJ.

And we had James Cook who had 90 carries to Pierces’ 145, and well-eclipsed Pierce on yardage.

Gee, I wonder why Devin got more carries in Houston. 

But hey, I know you’re big on playoff performance. So let’s talk playoffs.

Singletary in Buffalo 2022 postseason. 4.6 YPC, 5.2 yards per touch in 2 games

Singletary in Houston 2023 postseason. 4.0 YPC, 4.7 yards per touch in 2 games.

What’s the difference? It’S gOtTa Be CoAcHiNg!

Say uncle. 

• Eyeroll 1

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

A very cool stat. He got the ball more in Houston and was less efficient than he was in Buffalo and scored less touchdowns and had less yards from scrimmage. You’re right, he crushed it.

Of course, Josh also threw the almost 70 times more than CJ did comparing 2022 to 2023.

Josh also rushed almost 90 more times than CJ.

And we had James Cook who had 90 carries to Pierces’ 145, and well-eclipsed Pierce on yardage.

Gee, I wonder why Devin got more carries in Houston. 

But hey, I know you’re big on playoff performance. So let’s talk playoffs.

Singletary in Buffalo 2022 postseason. 4.6 YPC, 5.2 yards per touch in 2 games

Singletary in Houston 2023 postseason. 4.0 YPC, 4.7 yards per touch in 2 games.

What’s the difference? It’S gOtTa Be CoAcHiNg!

Say uncle. 

Seriously?

I can't take your analyses seriously anymore, sorry, your so incredibly dishonest in them.  

BTW, he averaged over 5 YPC against Cleveland, with one TD. 

He struggled against Baltimore, maybe you can figure out why that may have been.  Then again, maybe not given your work here.  

Should we discuss that here he played with Allen, while there he played with a rookie?  LOL, nah, irrelevant I'm sure.  

Honestly ... 

You can't even have an honest discussion without having an emotional tantrum that over the bottom that coaching may have something to do with it.  

LOL

Simple depending on how the draft falls might walk away with good value on day 3.  If so sign a UDFA and or cheap vet.  If a back is not drafted sign a vet after the draft.  Pretty simple.  Still not a overwhelming room should be in position to sign a pretty highly rated UDFA. 

51 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Seriously?

I can't take your analyses seriously anymore, sorry, your so incredibly dishonest in them.  

BTW, he averaged over 5 YPC against Cleveland, with one TD. 

He struggled against Baltimore, maybe you can figure out why that may have been.  Then again, maybe not given your work here.  

Should we discuss that here he played with Allen, while there he played with a rookie?  LOL, nah, irrelevant I'm sure.  

Honestly ... 

You can't even have an honest discussion without having an emotional tantrum that over the bottom that coaching may have something to do with it.  

LOL

Oh, he played with a rookie? Oh, he played against Baltimore? Those sound suspiciously like reasons why he wasn’t better than he was in Buffalo. 

Say it. U-N-C-L-E

43 minutes ago, Beast said:

Does the NFL even use running backs anymore? I’m least worried about this position. Cook, Johnson and a rook. Fine with me.

You don't think Pacheco and McCaffrey weren't two major reasons their teams were in the Super Bowl? Obviously it's not the most important position but it still has value.. especially in the playoffs when teams need to be able to win in multiple ways.

• Agree 2

This isn’t the year to invest high draft capital into the RB position given the weak class , we lack a 3rd and we have so many other needs . 

That being said we should still use a late round pick on a guy and keep trying to build the RB room. 

Im also not a believer that Cook is as good as everyone says he is. He’s not a workhorse 3 down stud. I think he’s a product of Josh our system and light boxes . 

I can only imagine what a guy like CMC would do for us in the same situation. 

Thankfully next year is an extremely deep RB class and we should know for sure how we are with Cook after this season and whether we need to invest big capital again 

5 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

You don't think Pacheco and McCaffrey weren't two major reasons their teams were in the Super Bowl? Obviously it's not the most important position but it still has value.. especially in the playoffs when teams need to be able to win in multiple ways.

Interesting that you chose those two players, as it says a little something about RB’s in today’s NFL. McCaffrey was the 8th pick in the draft so much was expected, while Pacheco was taken in the 7th round. You can get a really good RB in late rounds if you know what you are doing and get a little lucky. I’d have no problem with taking a RB (or even a QB) with one of those late round picks. 

1 hour ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Who were the 3rd running backs for KC and SF and tell me how they contributed. That’s what we are talking about here.

I'd try to grab Alexander Mattison for very very cheap. He has proven he can play, but can't be the main guy. He would be perfect in that Murray role and is still young. he was also released, so no comp pick impact. I also happen to really like Ty Johnson. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'd try to grab Alexander Mattison for very very cheap. He has proven he can play, but can't be the main guy. He would be perfect in that Murray role and is still young. he was also released, so no comp pick impact. I also happen to really like Ty Johnson. 

Yuck.  Very underwhelming.  Poor efficiency.  Rather draft a guy late vs Mattison.  

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Yuck.  Very underwhelming.  Poor efficiency.  Rather draft a guy late vs Mattison.  

Yeah I mean I would look at him as a role player the way he was a couple of years ago. You just need a guy to get like 300-400 yards and 5-7 TDs which is what he was and he was very efficient at that job. In terms of being full time starter, he was not very good. IMO a guy like that complements the RB room. 

13 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

That's not what you said. "Does the NFL even use running backs anymore?"

I was being sarcastic. But I wasn’t when I said Cook, Johnson and a rookie are more than fine.

Edited by Beast

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I mean I would look at him as a role player the way he was a couple of years ago. You just need a guy to get like 300-400 yards and 5-7 TDs which is what he was and he was very efficient at that job. In terms of being full time starter, he was not very good. IMO a guy like that complements the RB room. 

Last 3 years averaged under 4 per carry.  Hard pass.  Give me a guy similar to Johnson.  Part of committee productive but did not get many touches.  I think you can find better athletes for the same money or investments. 

On 3/15/2024 at 3:05 PM, MJS said:

Sign a guy or draft a guy. Running backs are not hard to find.

Maybe any ole running back isn't when it comes to a 3 back rotation but guys like Cook, McCaffrey, Henry, & Barkley are .