WR then BPA

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

no way.  Samuel wasn't even the BPA on his crappy Washington team.

Get someone better and younger under a rookie contract.

With the addition of Samuel and the other receiver we signed we are officially up to our eye brows in slot type receivers, we so desperately need an X / boundary / speed guy as our WR2, I sure hope we don’t go all Billsey and pretend we are all set at WR, talk about hanging Allen out to dry for yet another season…, 

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Maybe maybe not.

I admit I have a soft spot for Diggs because he had the balls to call out McDermott on his choice of OC. He has more heart and drive than most on the team. 

But north of 30 for a WR can be a quick downhill trajectory.  So you may be right. I'm really hoping he has a big bounce back year. He's been one of my favorites.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Given the depth of 1st round talent at WR this year, BPA will likely be WR.

However, we know Beane never really does BPA, but instead trades up for a guy he likes. Hopefully it's WR, but given the Bills historical emphasis on DL, I wouldn't be surprised if they chase a DT.  We're thin behind Jones and Oliver

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

That's certainly possible if there is a run on WR. Might also depend on whether Diggs was injured or not. They likely have a better idea than us why his numbers dropped. 

If 2024 is his last year in Buffalo I have to believe they draft WR in the first round. 

i'm sorry i don't want to be a putz but.. Diggs #'s dropped because we were spreading the ball around, plus badly thrown balls by josh!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I have a feeling that, after signing Samuel, that they could go BPA in the first round, and take a WR with their 2nd or 4th pick.

I haven't even looked at the top 50 players available in the draft this year usually never do just listen to those that follow it closer than i do & look at a couple of players in the process . I've heard that this year has a lot of really good WR talent available & with the amount of QB's that could be taken 1 may fall to the Bills.

Seeing that Diggs is getting up in age & with his fall off in production if that is to continue which i don't think it will but could i would think getting 1 of the better WR prospects should be priority 1 this draft . They do need some D line help & that could be a possibility if the best 1 in the draft is there to go into the future .

I trust Beane has been wearing it out & hasn't been getting a lot of sleep this time of year between watching tape, talking to his draft people on staff & with McD so i'm sure they will do what;s best for the Bills moving forward & get the players that will best help n both sides of the ball ...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

no way.  Samuel wasn't even the BPA on his crappy Washington team.

Get someone better and younger under a rookie contract.

Exactly,  I like the Samuel signing but I'm not madly in love with it. It's imperative that we hit on a very good 1st round wr to replace Diggs in 2yrs. And next April we'll probably have to draft Curtis Samuel's eventual replacement. Like Weather Man said you need these guys on 5 yr rookie deals for need & cost.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I have a feeling that, after signing Samuel, that they could go BPA in the first round, and take a WR with their 2nd or 4th pick.

I have that same feeling. If there's a WR run, I'd rather they take BPA at another position with #28 than Worthy for example.

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Normally I am not an advocate of drafting "BPA".  I think most GMs that say they do lie anyways. At best it is usually BPA at a position of need.

However this year may be the year to just sit back and let the draft come to you. 

As of today, the only starting spot open is Safety.  That may yet be addressed in FA but even if not they can take one on day 2 with a little maneuvering.  They can justify drafting backups and future replacements at most levels. 

I'd be perfectly happy if Beane traded around to get the deep speed WR with size this team lacks. Then just take BPA the rest of the way. You could make an argument for just about every position even taking a backup QB that might have trade value in a year or two. OL, DL, RB, DB, and you can always use a backup LB for teams. Pick up a punter on day 3. 

Also, perceived BPA is not BPA!  No one knows who the best available player is.

IF they did, the draft selection list each year would be a lot different to what it is.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I think waiting until late 4th for WR would leave them with not much.  It is a strong class, but the top 12 or more will likely be gone by the end of the 2nd, surely by late 4th.  

2 hours ago, Sgt. Ski said:

i'm sorry i don't want to be a putz but.. Diggs #'s dropped because we were spreading the ball around, plus badly thrown balls by josh!

come on...how much effort did you put into this take?

#'s drop?  He had essentially the same targets he has had every year with the Bills.  A big chunk of his yards came in the first 6 weeks.  Then, despite tons of targets the resto f the season, he couldn't produce.

Josh's fault for the drops?  that's pretty funny.

Like the KC game ? Where Diggs dropped the excellent pass for Josh at a critical juncture of the game? 

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Normally I am not an advocate of drafting "BPA".  I think most GMs that say they do lie anyways. At best it is usually BPA at a position of need.

However this year may be the year to just sit back and let the draft come to you. 

As of today, the only starting spot open is Safety.  That may yet be addressed in FA but even if not they can take one on day 2 with a little maneuvering.  They can justify drafting backups and future replacements at most levels. 

I'd be perfectly happy if Beane traded around to get the deep speed WR with size this team lacks. Then just take BPA the rest of the way. You could make an argument for just about every position even taking a backup QB that might have trade value in a year or two. OL, DL, RB, DB, and you can always use a backup LB for teams. Pick up a punter on day 3. 

We need better D lineman who aren’t in their 30’s.  

Let’s get the best WR available in the 1st round and then a variety of S DT and DE’s.  

Late round O lineman are an absolute waste.   Better signing free agents like Ryan Bates for O line depth after they are seasoned to the NFL.  

Shoulder injury on Allen’s throwing arm certainly didn’t help, but you are correct in that Josh could stand to tighten up his game a bit, 

4 hours ago, Sgt. Ski said:

Oh I know Josh missed him multiple times. 

I think he can easily catch 100 balls next year even with a more balanced offense with Cook, Kincaid, and Knox. 

When you bake in positional value I think Wr will be the pick followed by Edge then Interior dline.  I would go Oline before safety in rd 1.  No one is worthy it at saftey until end of day 2.  Comes down to whether one of the Bills top rated edge defender is available.  If they are I think that is the pick.  I expect they will be gone and the best player will be wr.  If a run starts at WR maybe they go Murphy if available or possibly Jackson Powers as center/guard.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Just a hunch, but if Cooper DeJean is there at 28, McD will knock out anyone in the war-room who tries to select anyone but DeJean.   There is your new safety for the next ten years. 

I have the same hunch.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the signing of Samuel really narrows down the WR candidate field in the draft.  They now have three receivers without great size and nobody with a strong body and above average height and speed.  I would think that makes guys like Worthy, McConkey, Franklin and Wilson less attractive to the Bills.  If they really want a big X, it would seem to come down to only a few who fit that description: Mitchell, Legette, Coleman, maybe Polk or Walker or Rice.

I yield to others who know how to evaluate tape better than I do.  What are your thoughts?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have the same hunch.

What do you think of DeJean?  If he has to play S in the NFL, would it be a little rich for one at 28 given that the league seems to not want to pay safeties?