CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

13 minutes ago, DrMaxPower said:

Yeah, the opinions of the fan base don't line up with that of the leagues decision makers.

People were hyper critical of Davis. It was excessive. He was a decent #2 wr and vastly outplayed his draft slot. He wasn't a top shelf #2 (aka 1b) but he wasn't paid or drafted as one.

I like the signing and am good with Davis moving on. Not sure it's the upgrade many think. That comes from the draft.

I look at this as an upgrade over Harty. We know need our 1st round pick to upgrade Davis. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Pretty much the same size as Diggs, and runs a 4.39.  But he isn't a downfield threat?

Not strong enough to break man press or at the line will hamper that speed where in the NFL DB's are just as fast. His smaller stature, his twitch, his everything... I don't want him outside. I'd put him inside more to a slot. 

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

Not strong enough to break man press or at the line will hamper that speed where in the NFL DB's are just as fast. His smaller stature, his twitch, his everything... I don't want him outside. I'd put him inside more to a slot. 

Then you are saying Diggs shouldn't be outside. Same size and faster than Diggs.

Sorry the narrative doesn't hold water. 

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I do believe Samuel had his best season as a pro under Joe Brady. 

Receiving threat who can also do the orbit motions and jet sweeps and bubble screens. Brings YAC ability.

Somehow feels like he's been in the league forever, but still just 27 years old.

With Diggs, Samuel, Shakir, and Hollins, this is certainly starting to look more like a legitimate NFL receiver room. The presence of Samuel and Hollins should make life easier for the rookie they hopefully spend a high pick on, who won't have to be counted on to be THE GUY and can ease his way in behind the vets.

If the Bills DO spend a high pick on a rookie receiver -- and I think we ALL hope they do -- and Samuel becomes a de facto WR3/4, then I'll like the move even more.

It's a nice start and replacement for Davis, but I still want a 1st round wr and another in the 4th or 5th.  Diggs will not be around forever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Thinking we are drafting an X. We can work in the new X in this season as he earns it. Next season Samuel can take over Diggs’ spot. In the near term Shakir, Samuel and Diggs can be on the field together. 

I'm thinking Keon Coleman is Beane's guy

15 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They win the SB those years ?

Is a lot of your anger over this move because you wanted them to draft two guys ? They still might 

My anger is about spending limited cap $ on a redundant asset.  Had he spent $8 mill on a boundary receiver who could stretch the field, I might be disappointed we weren’t going young, but I’d be glad we filled an obvious roster hole.  

Samuel is also not as good as the people here think he is.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Li'l' Donte being the last one.....  Let's hope Samuel is a better football player and way less of an #######.

Me too... I honestly thought we'd draft Dobbins, but after his terrible luck I don't feel nearly as bad. Always happy to get the best fit FIRST, regardless of university.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Lol.  He’s a slot receiver.  He had 7 carries last year. 7!  

I’d love this signing if we didn’t have a better player already in slot.  Had Beane signed someone like Samuel when Beasley left I’d be happy as anyone else here, but Shakir has developed into a very good player, who was one our best offensive players down the stretch last season.  To me this is just over priced depth with money that would be better spent elsewhere.

He also moves to the outside as well.  Johan Dotson plays a lot of slot in Washington too.  

Does versatile mean just handoffs or something?

And Khalil Shakir's last 6 games:

17 catches

Roughly 240 yards

20 targets

0 TD's

Which is:

2.8 catches per game

40 yards per game

3.33 targets per game

0 TD's per game.  

Josh Allen throwing to him.

If Shakir was our best offensive weapon down the stretch, we definitely need more help in that role.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

My anger is about spending limited cap $ on a redundant asset.  Had he spent $8 mill on a boundary receiver who could stretch the field, I might be disappointed we weren’t going young, but I’d be glad we filled an obvious roster hole.  

Samuel is also not as good as the people here think he is.

So then is he better then what we have?  Better then Davis who had like 3 catches over a 4 game stretch?  

Anyone who isn’t happy with this signing probably only watches Bills games.

Samuel has produced with straight up trash at QB. Davis has a better statline, but only because he has a great game every 4th game. Samuel is way more consistent.

We raised the floor at WR2 but we didn’t box ourselves into a “Don’t draft a WR because we invested too much in FA”

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Where are all the people who should be upset we signed a slot WR? Or who think WRs only operate from the slot or only operate outside?

Also, I feel these lists of our healthy fleet of pass catchers are sleeping on Knox.

Give them time, they'll crawl out of the sewers eventually.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, rajinka said:

So then is he better then what we have?  Better then Davis who had like 3 catches over a 4 game stretch?  

No he’s not.  Shakir is the slot receiver and is already a better player than Samuel.  We don’t have the necessary boundary WR to replace Davis and that is the just one of the problems with signing Samuel.  

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

That's a good one but McConkey play the outside more naturally - and would be an excellent late RD1 pick up

i'm a big proponent of McConkey but don;t think they're taking him.  Wasn't someoen they et with at the combine, though they did meet with him at the sniron bowl, Let's see if they bring him in for a 30 visit

3 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Per PFF:

Samuel was an efficient target in Eric Bienemy’s Washington offense that spread the ball around more than any team in the NFL, hauling in just shy of 73% of passes thrown his way with just four drops on 85 targets in 2023. Samuel was used as a ball carrier in 2023 like he was in 2022 and previous seasons dating back to his Ohio State days. His Swiss Army knife skill set shows up with good change of direction in space and start-stop ability that is still above average at this stage of his career.

Beane walkin like he talk it.  Giving Brady a versatile weapon.

I really wanted to add him in 2021 before he signed with Washington. He really balled out his last season in Carolina, leading the league in reception percentage that year and being a beast on third down. I’m excited they gave Joe Brady someone he had a lot of success with who will be good on those quick screens.

My fear is that the Bills will see this as being good enough at the WR position and forego it early in the draft. We are one of two teams - the other being the Bucs who had Mike Evans and Godwin - who have not drafted a WR in the first three rounds in the past 5 years.

I still really hope we draft a WR at 28. Whether the rook is WR2 and Samuel is WR 3 or 4 or vice versa this year, our WR room as a whole will be much more talented and prepared for next year when Diggs will likely be gone.

So in short, love we got Josh this weapon and let’s keep it going in the draft Beane!!!!

Edited by LEBills

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

No he’s not.  Shakir is the slot receiver and is already a better player than Samuel.  We don’t have the necessary boundary WR to replace Davis and that is the just one of the problems with signing Samuel.  

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He also moves to the outside as well.  Johan Dotson plays a lot of slot in Washington too.  

Does versatile mean just handoffs or something?

And Khalil Shakir's last 6 games:

17 catches

Roughly 240 yards

20 targets

0 TD's

Which is:

2.8 catches per game

40 yards per game

3.33 targets per game

0 TD's per game.  

Josh Allen throwing to him.

If Shakir was our best offensive weapon down the stretch, we definitely need more help in that role.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said: