Arik Armstead released, signs with Jax

At $17 million per year, I'm definitely glad we didn't do it.

I understand that he would have materially improved our defensive front, but...I don't need to see any more major contracts handed out to 30+ year old d-linemen, especially those coming off two straight years of leg injuries.

Hopefully Beane takes the money not spent and gets a legit safety or two instead.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The feeling I get is that Armstead was a special circumstance. A guy who made it known he was interested in coming here based on his Wife. We hoped with his interest we could get him on a good price, albeit one a little higher than we'd normally pay. When it became clear he was going to get paid (which I always expected) - we were out.

I wouldn't expect us to be in the market for someone similar and especially not if it would cost us a Draft Pick, though I could be wrong.

I will say though, as I said from the beginning, if Armstead was a serious consideration - than we should be in on a starting quality Wide Receiver or a Safety like Simmons.

We'll see if we pivot elsewhere or not. It would be annoying if it was Armstead or bust. But it wouldn't surprise me.

indeed. Go get Simmons and Curtis Samuel or take a swing to trade for a WR

• Agree 1

I believe that the Bills were interested -- and probably did tell Armstead to come back with any offer he received from another team. However, there is simply no way Beane could (or should) have matched that offer that Jacksonville made.

This is probably a situation similar to when the WR came in during the Buddy Nix era -- was it Brandon Lloyd? -- who was in the office literally working out a contract when a representative from another team called with an offer. When Buddy heard the terms the other team was offering, he immediately stopped proceedings and told the player and his agent -- "You better take that deal with the other team because there is no way we can match it..."

• Like (+1) 1

Undeniable that the Bills need more star power on the roster, but 17 million a year is a lot to spend with Miller still on the books. It sucks though that Buffalo isn’t attractive to FA with amenities. 

• Like (+1) 2

• PromoTheRobot changed the title to Arik Armstead released, signs with Jax
Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Got 1!!!!! Thanks Beane

I don't think it's a coincidence that this didn't come to fruition until Armstead was off the table. I don't think we could have made Armstead AND Samuel happen.

It goes back to what I was saying from the get go on this thread. If it comes down to heavily investing into DL and putting less into WR or investing more in WR and putting less into DL - the choice was obvious IMO.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did. You can still get decent guys behind Oliver and Jones without paying the bounty it would have cost for Armstead. Getting Josh help was more important.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that this didn't come to fruition until Armstead was off the table. I don't think we could have made Armstead AND Samuel happen.

It goes back to what I was saying from the get go on this thread. If it comes down to heavily investing into DL and putting less into WR or investing more in WR and putting less into DL - the choice was obvious IMO.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did. You can still get decent guys behind Oliver and Jones without paying the bounty it would have cost for Armstead. Getting Josh help was more important.

probably a combination of Beane being pissed off / Samuel’s price dropping enough for him to feel good about it.  

tough to say what would be better at the moment. Armstead is a very good playoff performer.  Hopefully we can find effective DT help elsewhere

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

probably a combination of Beane being pissed off / Samuel’s price dropping enough for him to feel good about it.  

tough to say what would be better at the moment. Armstead is a very good playoff performer.  Hopefully we can find effective DT help elsewhere

I doubt Beane was "pissed off". He's got plans for everything. He's got players he likes and prices he's willing to pay. If a player gets too much, he passes and pivots to another plan.

He's not the type of guy to get emotional and just make a move just because or bank on a guy being here before terms are agreed to. The only time he's gotten "pissed off" is when McKissick agreed to terms with us and then reneged after Washington all of a sudden became interested after it was announced he was coming here.

This was a matter of, in my opinion, him knowing what Samuel's tag was and was waiting on seeing if Armstead was going to happen or not. When it didn't, he said "okay, cool, I can definitely swing Samuel - pull the trigger".

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

If I have to spell it out for you I will

We do not have a personnel problem on defense. Our defense routinely bodybags the regular season. We have a postseason coaching/philosophy problem on defense

FWIW I see it differently.

We have a defense that, at least in past years, relied on the whole to be greater than the sum of its parts.  Without elite athletes, everyone had to know their role and how it changed with the post-snap moves, which is indeed a matter of scheme and coaching.  That choked the chicken of lesser teams and talents, but it allows elite players on the opponent's offense to exploit our tendencies and break big plays now and again.  Without elite defenders, we occasionally got exposed.

I personally think the solution is to invest in top talent playmakers on offense so we're not settling for 3 against the top teams.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I'm choosing to believe a version of events where Beane could have beat Jacksonville's offer, but doing so would have cost us Curtis Samuel so he chose not to.

Possible other need's on Bill's as well. I'd rather have it this way signing Samuel and whatever goes on rest of the way.

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

indeed. Go get Simmons and Curtis Samuel or take a swing to trade for a WR

Done told bean your ideas we took Samuel… any other ideas you want me to relay while on pegulas yacht? 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Oh well.

Yeah, as I said,  just too expensive at this stage of his career.

Bills can re-visit this in 24 months when the Jags release him to save cap space.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1