DaQuan Re-Signed - 2 yrs 16M

26 minutes ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Hopefully we'll get the chance to see what a D with a fully fit DQ, along with Milano, Bernard, Benford a fit Douglas, a better Von and 1 or 2 new younger guys at the safety position can do against KC in the playoffs.  I don't normally like pointing to injuries as an excuse but the D against KC in the divisional round was absolutely ravaged.

Did everyone forget the drops in that game?  We should have been over 30 and won that game. As far as defense goes, I blame that on coaching. Look at SF in the SB.

They had good success rushing four through the first half, but failed to create pressure when that was taken away, just like the Bills.

There is very little doubt that when DaQuan is healthy this defense plays at a higher level.   I'm good with the signing, just draft another early pick IDL and maybe pick up some depth and we are good to go at the position for the year.

15 minutes ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

ok, what is that incredibly high standard, sacks, right?

{unless you watch that all-22 film, or you are perhaps a D-line coach, or even O-line?}

I'm glad he didn't rack up a ton of sacks, because he'd cost more!

why did Madubuike get all that loot? (hint, 26 yr old DT with 13 sacks!)

we know he's not Chris Jones, or Aaron Donald, who also rack up the sacks & pressures

not sure where Frank Clark comes in, as he is a DE/LB who can sack the QB

all this doesn't mean DaQuon cannot regularly do his job in the middle of our defense (against poor or good competition)

why would you discount his pressure rate, stat guy?

but you are correct, he is not All-Pro status for whatever that point is worth...

I would argue he could sniff it if a few more of those pressures became sacks

amazing signing by Beane, Go Bills! 🙌

Sacks are one component. We can start there. Jones has 14.5 in his 10 year career. That’s less than 1.5 per season on average. 

First, stop trying to reframe my position. I like Jones. He’s a good player and I’m happy he’s back. Stop trying to reframe that as me not liking the re-signing or player. 

Now, please defend your statement that he’s been playing at an “All Pro” level. I’m also interested in your expectations moving forward. Do you expect an All Pro level of pay out of him?

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, Magox said:

There is very little doubt that when DaQuan is healthy this defense plays at a higher level.   I'm good with the signing, just draft another early pick IDL and maybe pick up some depth and we are good to go at the position for the year.

I think they'll re-sign J.P.

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Sacks are one component. We can start there. Jones has 14.5 in his 10 year career.

First, stop trying to reframe my position. I like Jones. He’s a good player and I’m happy he’s back. Stop trying to reframe that as me not liking the re-signing or player. 

Now, please defend your statement that he’s been playing at an “All Pro” level. I’m also interested in your expectations moving forward. Do you expect an All Pro level of pay out of him?

YOU have posted on this board taking issue with people who erroneously claim he was "playing at an All-Pro level"

I explained why he hasn't even sniffed that (his sack totals), which you just reinforced above 👆

I have never said he has played at an All-Pro level

And have only said he is a very important piece on our D

You seemed to imply that based on what he signed for, he's not really that good

I think he's a very, very good player in this league at that position

And other than a torn pec, he has been very durable, so I expect that to continue

We both are glad he signed, let's agree on that! 🍻

Good signing. Not sure about the numbers, but glad he's back.

For those concerned about his injuries, his big injury in 2023 was a pec injury, right? I don't see that as a recurring injury or a worry.

22 minutes ago, Westside said:

I agree for the most part. But you have to remember he’s 32 years old. Injuries occur more often when you get older. Especially at DT position.

Respectfully, is there any proof that this statement is accurate? Do you have any data indicating that injuries to defensive tackles increase in frequency as they get older, particularly more so than at other positions?

13 minutes ago, papazoid said:

prior to his injury...PFF ranked daquan #2 overall in "win rate" for interior defenders

he's pretty good !

Careful now, the winds swirl here whenever PFF is brought up to support a point…you’ll have to be quite nimble on the landing! giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952g9ij0ief359r2gf34a

(fwiw, I do agree he’s a good player. )

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Respectfully, is there any proof that this statement is accurate? Do you have any data indicating that injuries to defensive tackles increase in frequency as they get older, particularly more so than at other positions?

No, just using common sense and being older. You get more injury prone the older you get. That’s why you hear a player is on the wayside of 30. I love that we brought him back at a reasonable price. I’m really more worried about depth at that particular position. Great question by the way! 👍🏻

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

YOU have posted on this board taking issue with people who erroneously claim he was "playing at an All-Pro level"

I explained why he hasn't even sniffed that (his sack totals), which you just reinforced above 👆

I have never said he has played at an All-Pro level

And have only said he is a very important piece on our D

You seemed to imply that based on what he signed for, he's not really that good

I think he's a very, very good player in this league at that position

And other than a torn pec, he has been very durable, so I expect that to continue

We both are glad he signed, let's agree on that! 🍻

If you read what I have posted you will see that my only issue has been with the assertion that Jones was playing at an All Pro level and that we could expect that level of play moving forward. Other than that, it’s just people reading what they want into what I wrote. I’m not at fault for that. Feel free to quote anything that I wrote that says otherwise. 

Classic Beane move of getting pieces in place before the draft.

The DL still needs work, and I'm sure we'll be drafting DT early. But we at least have a starting 4 in place if the ***** hits the fan and we cant get our targets.

DT and WR in rounds 1 and 2 in whichever order depending who is available.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

People can feel however they want about this, but...

My only bone to pick is with those who say he's "oft injured" or "injury prone" or whatever. Prior to his pec injury last year, he hadn't missed a game in eight seasons. I realize he's 32 years old, but the DT position is one at which 1T and NT types have historically continued to excel well into their 30s. And simply being 32 is not a guarantee of continued injury troubles.

The Bills were significantly better on defense with Jones on the field that without him. His deal does not break the bank. For those reasons, I view this re-signing as a positive. If anyone views it as a negative, again, thats fine and thats their prerogative, but using "injuries" as the reason is odd to me.

Didn't Daquan Jones also miss the bengals playoff game?

10 hours ago, mrags said:

Ugh. Great. 2 years of overpaid and overrated for a 32+ year old guy that won’t stay healthy for the 2 years. And we wonder why we get into cap trouble. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. 

🤡

12 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

I understand we let guys go. How many new starters we got so far?

WR2 will be a new starter, but likely a high pick. 

One new starter on the O-Line but two position changes if it's true McGovern will move to OC.

Two new starting safeties. 

4 total, so we're returning 18/22.

Edited by JGMcD2

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Classic Beane move of getting pieces in place before the draft.

The DL still needs work, and I'm sure we'll be drafting DT early. But we at least have a starting 4 in place if the ***** hits the fan and we cant get our targets.

DT and WR in rounds 1 and 2 in whichever order depending who is available.

I could see them moving up to 5 spots to grab Byron Murphy.

10 hours ago, Process said:

No brainer. Great move. 

Now that's enough re-signing guys. Let everyone else go, not interested in bringing back anyone else. We need some fresh young faces on the d line and at WR. 

They'll bring back a bunch more, as they should. They'll need them. 

Spotrac has them with 54 guys on the roster right now, including such stalwarts as:

Tommy Doyle, Damar, Tre McKitty, Darrynton Evans, KJ Hamler, Shane Buechele, Kyron Brown, Andy Isabella, Kameron Cline, Ryan Van Demark, Alec Anderson, Ja'Marcus Ingram, Justin Shorter, Zach Davidson, Richard Gouraige, Kevin Jarvis, Tyrell Shavers, Bryan Thompson, and Kendall Williamson.

And they haven't even removed Tre White from the roster yet. And that also includes two punters.

Even with draft picks and a few more outside FAs, we'll need some returnees, even with the fresh young faces.

Edited by Thurman#1