Dion Dawkins cryptic tweet UPDATE: EXTENDED PER SCHEFTY

12 hours ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

I can’t see them completely tearing down their OL after finally getting it right. Cutting Morse was bad enough… 

Yup. 

Morse would be 32 and a half  on opening day with a history of concussions, Dion 30 and a half and has been really healthy.

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

He's not on the Sabres.

it was great.  We read books and played sports outside with the neighborhood kids.  We even learned to talk to other people.

Kids still do that 

10 hours ago, boyst said:

If only you'd have hung on to that land to sell today. Land anywhere outside of CLT is insane. 

Friend of mine has family land across from Concord mills. It was his grand dad's farm. Sold 400+ acres of it when he was in high school. Bought twice as much land and kept a ton of money. 

My mother had to sell after my dad died... there was no way she could maintain the house by herself. Now although the house is still there, the land around it is inundated with overpriced new housing on what used to be hundreds of acres of forest and they actually built the light rail my dad advocated for publicly in the paper and on TV for YEARS. Kind of depressing to see everything now and know that part of my life died with him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

My mother had to sell after my dad died... there was no way she could maintain the house by herself. Now although the house is still there, the land around it is inundated with overpriced new housing on what used to be hundreds of acres of forest and they actually built the light rail my dad advocated for publicly in the paper and on TV for YEARS. Kind of depressing to see everything now and know that part of my life died with him.

Ohio is one of the most unique states I've ever been to because there is so, so much more than the few big cities and each of the big cities prior to the mid 00's was vastly different. Cincinnati vs Cleveland, Columbus vs. everyone, Toledo vs. Dayton, Findlay vz Zanesville. The entire state contained a vast cornucopia of culture. NY is essentially down state or upstate, much like SC, VA, WA, OR. Georgia, NC, CO, NV, have relatively small centers of urban development compared to the massive amounts of rural undeveloped country side. 

Ohio has a lot to offer it just isn't for everyone 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

That’s not enough value to warrant trading Dawkins IMO. I’d rather just move other picks to do that

I don’t know.  That would place Dawkins value as the 46th pick. A mid second doesn’t sound too bad to me for a plus 30 year old 12-15 best LT.  especially if he wants top 8 money. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Ohio is one of the most unique states I've ever been to because there is so, so much more than the few big cities and each of the big cities prior to the mid 00's was vastly different. Cincinnati vs Cleveland, Columbus vs. everyone, Toledo vs. Dayton, Findlay vz Zanesville. The entire state contained a vast cornucopia of culture. NY is essentially down state or upstate, much like SC, VA, WA, OR. Georgia, NC, CO, NV, have relatively small centers of urban development compared to the massive amounts of rural undeveloped country side. 

I hate it here in the Youngstown area... it's like being in a place where all the people that gave a crap all left, leaving *mostly* old people and the dregs of society. The people that live on my street leave trash in their yards, let their kids do what they want, loud bass/music, cars and trucks with no bumpers and busted out headlights (as the geniuses here have no annual inspections) and recently my car was stolen after we got back from the fair but was recovered. 

I am the sort of person who enjoys both the city and country myself, a rare person these days. I can't take the cold that I love anymore because my lungs are shot so we were contemplating New Mexico or just buying a large RV and sticking to the southwest... anything but this miserable rainy and cold hellscape!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I hate it here in the Youngstown area... it's like being in a place where all the people that gave a crap all left, leaving *mostly* old people and the dregs of society. The people that live on my street leave trash in their yards, let their kids do what they want, loud bass/music, cars and trucks with no bumpers and busted out headlights (as the geniuses here have no annual inspections) and recently my car was stolen after we got back from the fair but was recovered. 

I am the sort of person who enjoys both the city and country myself, a rare person these days. I can't take the cold that I love anymore because my lungs are shot so we were contemplating New Mexico or just buying a large RV and sticking to the southwest... anything but this miserable rainy and cold hellscape!

You'd like parts of SC. It's relatable to Ohio. That or the northwest of GA.

If you can stomach it, Alabama has some nice places if you're into the beach stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

probably not agreeing on terms at the moment is my read.

So Dawkins is currently 15th in AAV at $14.575M.  Next year is his last on his current deal.  What do people see for his extension, years, guaranteed and AAV?  I think his agent will be looking to get him to top 5 given his string of Pro Bowl's, that would put him around $20M AAV.    Unless he is willing to sign for something closer to where he is now, I am not doing a new deal with him but he is tough, he has missed one game in 7 years but you dont pay for the past, you pay for the future.  What are people willing to sign up for?   I think I would let this year play out unless he was willing to take less than he is reasonably able to demand.

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle

Dion has been a good solid (but not great) player for us.  He still gets beat at times and starts getting grabby.  A good leader also.  But not a generational talent.  He is certainly not top 5 at his position.  If we were not going to pay Morse 8 mill this year, I can not imagine Beane paying Dawkins $20 mill going forward.  But I don’t make those decisions for the team. 

Maybe Van De Mark can play LT.  Or we draft one next year w a high pick.  

Or Dawkins takes a reasonable extension so he can finish his career w the Bills. 

Who do you think was better John Fina or Dion Dawkins?  

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Dion has been a good solid (but not great) player for us.  He still gets beat at times and starts getting grabby.  A good leader also.  But not a generational talent.  He is certainly not top 5 at his position.  If we were not going to pay Morse 8 mill this year, I can not imagine Beane paying Dawkins $20 mill going forward.  But I don’t make those decisions for the team. 

Maybe Van De Mark can play LT.  Or we draft one next year w a high pick.  

Or Dawkins takes a reasonable extension so he can finish his career w the Bills. 

Who do you think was better John Fina or Dion Dawkins?  

Dawkins

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I grew up in the Cleveland suburbs and lived the first 42 years of my life in the Cleveland and Columbus areas. I’ve only ever been to Youngstown a few times - and that was for work. It’s just not a place even Ohioans go, mostly for the reasons you gave. Godspeed at getting to a place more to your liking. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

???Cmon, think it through. 

Pegula has a personal net worth of $5-10 billion, and the Bills are probably worth $3 billion. 

And Bills have spent up to the cap the past 5 years while chasing Bills first ever Super Bowl win.

So with a team this close he’s going to discard one of the key players for a few million, that would then be spent on a different player anyway?

Really?

Yeah, Bills may trade or extend Dawkins. 

But that would have nothing whatsoever to do with the stadium cost. 

SMH

Pegula's willingness to use cash up front is why the Bills have been able to pull these levers to push cap debt down the road and subsequently spend the most actual money on players in the AFC year after year(New Orleans does this in the NFC).   

But I remember when Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys and started pushing the envelope to expand his unshared revenue.......a separate multi-million dollar stadium rights deal with Pepsi when Coke was the official soft drink of the NFL is where it began..........and everyone realizing that these mountains of unshared revenue he could generate with the Cowboys name would create a competitive disadvantage for other teams in acquiring/retaining players because cash is king when it comes to the salary cap.

Well look at Jerry now.    His investment in the Cowboys has grown to outrageous proportions.........but he operates with an approach almost akin to "cash to the cap" with regard to payroll.   Part of that, IMO,  is because he has a lot of his own money invested in the infrastructure now.   He bought a team with a county run stadium and later built a palace largely out of pocket that he is the sole owner of.   And instead of approaching unshared revenue as money to spend on players he is looking at as an entirely separate business. 

We see something similar with the New York Yankees.........whose payroll to revenue ratio has gone from $240M/$300M in 2004 to just $300M/$900M(estimated) in 2024 even as the value of the franchise has skyrocketed as has the revenues of the team and their self-owned TV network and other holdings.  

The lesson is that winning matters most until it doesn't.    The turning point is often when the owners start re-investing their earnings into the product, IMO.    And I can even speak from experience as a fairly well off business owner.   Every time I re-invest in new infrastructure it changes how I feel about doling out salaries.     

You can make the argument that greed just naturally expands as the only reason for the 2 largest franchises in US sports getting away from their win-at-all-cost mentality.   And the Pegula's are raking in dough on the Bills and their investment in purchasing the Bills has more than doubled.   But I believe it also changes when the product is re-invested in.  And the Sabres are likely very unprofitable.   And now Pegs is having to re-furbish his hockey arena while he is also facing somewhere in the neighborhood of $500M in cost over-runs on the new Bills stadium.    Let's not forget that part of the strange PSE mission statement leaked a few years ago was keeping the family lifestyle intact.   So if you don't think it's a consideration then we already know you are wrong about that.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I've lived in Cleveland since the early 90's and you've described Youngstown as I've always perceived it.  I don't think the country/city person is as rare as you think, count me as one of those!  I live right on the edge.

Good luck getting out.  Best thing about Ytown (as a fly fisherman) is the Mahoning river with giant muskie and pike right in the city!

2 hours ago, boyst said:

With Columbus getting the Intel chip plant it will probably become a large tech hub in the coming years and distinguish itself even further from the other Ohio cities. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Here's my line.  I can remember my phone number, both grandparents and most of my friends phone numbers to this day (turn 40 soon).  Not their cell number.  Their home phone number.

Edited 20 hours ago by The Wiz

I can remember the numbers of the 4 blockbusters from my hometown to this day, had to call to get sweet snes/64 games reserved