Von Miller takes pay cut

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes, that's how it works.

Hm, do you have a link?

there’s certainly a LTBE and NLTBE, but I thought the teams are allowed to set whatever they want as the actual numbers.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he’s not in a particularly bad place today

I mean he can’t afford to bring in any talent to replace the talent that aged out, which is a bad place imo. Beane is now forced to hit on every pick he makes and every signing he does, which he has struggled with.

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

I don't want to hear one time this season that Von isn't a team player. He didn't have to do this. This is a team first move all the way. Immediate cap savings and he is betting on himself which means he'll be going all out every snap to try & make plays to hit those incentives.

They could have cut his butt post June 1st and he and his agent know it. Don't make him out to be a saint.

• Agree 2

I don't want to hear one time this season that Von isn't a team player. He didn't have to do this. This is a team first move all the way. Immediate cap savings and he is betting on himself which means he'll be going all out every snap to try & make plays to hit those incentives.

🤐 rework Diggs and then trade him 🤭🤣

• Dislike 1

I bet he was told you will be cut before your salary guarantees or we can sign a fair renegotiation based on your current value. 

knowing he’d be a severely damaged product in free agency - it’s a win win 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

On the other had,  it's still a lot of money.  Had the Bills released him instead,  I doubt he gets that type of deal anywhere else. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why would Miller? 

Because his play declined massively. So they went to his ego and said hey you know how you could earn 17M this year. How about we move a lot that into incentives. And your your trouble you can earn another 3M more 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Why did Von?

Ones play massively declined

others didn’t 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Thank god. He knew he was cooked if he didn’t take less.

I know folks say cutting him was impossible, but players don’t take pay cuts unless they are on the block.

OTC shows that he had $6.435M guaranteed for this season. So to move a bunch of his compensation into incentives the Bills upped the guaranteed money to $8.855M and kept him on the roster. If the Bills had cut him he’d have gotten his $6.435M and then signed a contract with a low guarantee and high incentives. So basically he just signed that with us. And we get the bonus of continuing to spread out the signing bonus we gave him 2 years ago. I’d have preferred to just move on, but this is a fair deal if we think he can get closer to who he used to be. 

https://overthecap.com/player

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buddy Hix said:

I mean he can’t afford to bring in any talent to replace the talent that aged out, which is a bad place imo. Beane is now forced to hit on every pick he makes and every signing he does, which he has struggled with.

how big of a drop are you anticipating from:

tre white to Douglas - solid jump 

Morse to next center? Maybe a modest drop at the ol position requiring the least athleticism?

a washed poyer to a modest vet safety?

if he hits on a first round wr and even mid tier vets at 2-3 positions this team will be better week 1 next year than last year

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

True … but it still surprises me considering 2024 will be his last you would think …

I think he heard the noise from outside the gates. He's good at PR. This shines a new light on him. Plus, this is designed to light a fire.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Because his play declined massively. So they went to his ego and said hey you know how you could earn 17M this year. How about we move a lot that into incentives. And your your trouble you can earn another 3M more 

others didn’t 

Von’s play decline was due to injury

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

others didn’t 

what day does this years salary guarantee? I bet it’s not yet without looking. 

which means he’s avoiding finding out his open market price based on his film. He didn’t drop $9m out of generosity and good spirit 

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why would Miller? 

2 things need to happen for a pay cut. The player wants to be in Buffalo and the player won’t get nearly as much money on the open market.

Mike Evans just got $26 million and is a year older. I think Diggs would believe he could get  similar money.

5 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

I think restructuring kicks money down the road that eventually must be cap hit dollars. It’s not about giving up years of Allen, it’s about paying for him now when the team is weaker and not having huge cap hits in a few years when the team is better.

Yes but you and just about every single person on the planet knows that Allen will get his money. He will likely be extended/renegotiated in a few more years anyway. Can always just make those changes easily at that point on when he gets his money and how. It might be in guaranteed contract. Signing bonuses. Incentives, etc. all is in the table. And as long as you are on the side of wanting to keep Allen here no matter what (you’d be a fool if you didn’t want that) then it doesn’t really matter.