UPDATE: SIGNED Bills looking at bringing back Trubisky per Tim Graham

47 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

U mean 3rd string or practice squad QB! 

Agreed.

The guy is terrible and I really don't understand why we want him back.

Maybe the thinking is "if Josh goes down, lets just lose as many games as possible and get a higher draft pick"?

If so, Trubisky is perfect.

Beane playing chess!

• Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Honestly why waste anything more than $1M on a back up QB? KC paid Gabbert $1M or CIN had Browning at $750K to be a back up which is a much better use of $. If we need Trubisky to play more than a few games the season is in trouble no matter what. 

So I'd pay him more than Gabbert for the same reason I'd rather have Trubisky than Kyle Allen - he's better. Browning had a nice year last year. I actually liked him as draftable the year he came out. But it has taken him 5 or 6 seasons to get on an NFL field. 

I have been clear I'd draft a kid too on day 3 and be willing to carry a 3rd on the roster in 2024 while you let the day 3 guy learn and develop with the hope that the next 3 years he is your backup at a day 3 rookie contract number. But those are, to an extent, lottery tickets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

So I'd pay him more than Gabbert for the same reason I'd rather have Trubisky than Kyle Allen - he's better. Browning had a nice year last year. I actually liked him as draftable the year he came out. But it has taken him 5 or 6 seasons to get on an NFL field. 

I have been clear I'd draft a kid too on day 3 and be willing to carry a 3rd on the roster in 2024 while you let the day 3 guy learn and develop with the hope that the next 3 years he is your backup at a day 3 rookie contract number. But those are, to an extent, lottery tickets.

I tend to agree. But in a year that we are cap strapped I risk having a lower quality back up QB and use the extra money on starting caliber DL, WR and DB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

yeah, but if you hit those tickets you can cash them in for draft picks like the Pats did :)

4 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

The Steelers whole offense was a mess and Matt Canada was arguably the worst OC in the NFL. 

I'm not saying Mitch is a top tier backup, but I'm also gonna say that in the scope of what really matters for Bills W/L it's pretty unimportant. 

I thought he was the worst coordinator in college football before he came to the NFL and people are seriously underestimating this when it comes to Trubisky. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The thing with Mitch is that he does not play with confidence, his body language says “I’m nervous”,  it is as if he doesn’t believe in himself to some degree or another, 

• Agree 1

He seemed to work pretty well as Allen's backup.  At this point he's probably figured out that he's destined to be a backup the rest of his career, so he's content with a backup's contract.  I'm OK with it if it is a cap friendly deal.  I do think the Bills need to start thinking about bringing in a developmental guy.

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What are you trying to get at here?  Unless I'm taking this wrong but you want to bring a back up that could compete with Allen for the starting job?

Not suggesting that all. Just trying to understand why you bring in a backup who proved himself totally useless when called upon last year and costs more money than a rookie would? Heaven forbid if Josh got injured but I would want somebody who might be able to win a game. Even Rudolph was better than Trubisky last year.

45 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Not suggesting that all. Just trying to understand why you bring in a backup who proved himself totally useless when called upon last year and costs more money than a rookie would? Heaven forbid if Josh got injured but I would want somebody who might be able to win a game. Even Rudolph was better than Trubisky last year.

If I remember correctly, Trubisky was QB under Canada and Rudolph played after Canada was fired. 

That's why, Its not a fair comparison between Trubisky and Rudolph. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t get why the Buffalo Bills overpaid for backup quarterback Mitch Trubisky? That is a mystery to me when you have Josh Allen? If Josh Allen gets potentially injured for any length of time the Bills season is over anyway. So I don’t get overpaying for a backup quarterback when the Bills have so many greater needs than overpaying for a backup quarterback in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

How is he better? If anything there on the same level. Do u realize Trubisky lost his job to the emergency QB last yr in Pittsburgh? and there Wrs we're about to conduct a mutiny if he wasn't benched ? 😂. He's hot Trash that's why I call him the Garbage Man! 

• Disagree 1

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I thought he was the worst coordinator in college football before he came to the NFL and people are seriously underestimating this when it comes to Trubisky. 

Again like I said before Canada was not the OC when Trubisky took over for Pickett.  

Why did Rudolph play so much better then Trubisky when he came in? It wasn't coaching it was Trubisky is 🗑️

At football.

He's better at holding on to the ball to long unless he's getting sacked then he's fumbling or is he more accurate? We all know Trubisky is horrible can't put lipstick on a pig. Take his draft position and his name away and over the last few seasons he's no better then a min wage QB maybe even a emergency QB at this point. U probably liked him coming out the draft but it's over for him Gunner he's 🗑️

5 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

U probably liked him coming out the draft but it's over for him Gunner he's 🗑️

I didn't actually. I thought he was overdrafted. No way I'd have taken him 2nd overall. 

But I don't think he is as bad as you seem to. I've heard your opinion. I disagree with it.

I didn't actually. I thought he was overdrafted. No way I'd have taken him 2nd overall. 

But I don't think he is as bad as you seem to. I've heard your opinion. I disagree with it.

But u really haven't stated why your just disagreeing with me. He's horrible and u know it. 

Trubisky is nether a timing anticipation QB nor does he have a rocket arm to play his style of holding the ball so long nor does he even have the accuracy to get the ball to where it needs to go when he does see the Wrs breaking open. Trubisky has no real skill set and he deserves the worst contract and team can hand out a vet min with no guarantees to even make the team. I'm still hoping the Bills draft a QB in later rds and that young cost control QB can take his job from him I guess we can eat the 2.85 mil guarantee we gave him. I mean the guy was demoted last yr lost his job to the 3rd string QB how does he end up getting a promotion ? 

• Eyeroll 2

10 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Again like I said before Canada was not the OC when Trubisky took over for Pickett.  

Why did Rudolph play so much better then Trubisky when he came in? It wasn't coaching it was Trubisky is 🗑️

I like to look at the totality of a career and not two games.  He's an average NFL backup.  You disagree and that's fine.

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I like to look at the totality of a career and not two games.  He's an average NFL backup.  You disagree and that's fine.

He's hit the downhill spiral since he put up 54 pts in a game with Chicago. The game ball from that game should go to some museum or maybe even the hof since that was such a abnormal performance 😂

We should've given him a 1yr vet min with no guarantees and if he didn't want that then go somewhere else to play. The Bills should use a late Rd pk on a QB to develop for the bkup role there's actually potential in doing something like that maybe u hit big and u can trade that player for something down the line or at least u have a cost control player that bks up your star QB for yrs to come. 

37 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

But u really haven't stated why your just disagreeing with me. He's horrible and u know it. 

The things I think he does well? I think he has good intermediate accuracy when you can keep him clean and give him crisp reads, I think he has an effective play-action fake and generally executes those concepts well. He can move and buy time outside the pocket and is a capable thrower on the run and he can make first downs with his legs as a scrambler (which is always one of the first things I look for in a backup QB because if you end up living and dying by the arm of your backup you are dead in the water whoever he is). 

Where I don't disagree with you is that he holds the ball forever - he definitely does. He can be easily confused if you can take his first read away, has a slightly funky release that takes longer than ideal, is inaccurate when the pocket gets messy and has always been susceptible to being baited into mistakes when teams simulate pressures and drop out into zone. 

All of which equates to a mid backup. Which is what I think he is. And that is still an upgrade on what we had last year.

37 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

He's hit the downhill spiral since he put up 54 pts in a game with Chicago. The game ball from that game should go to some museum or maybe even the hof since that was such a abnormal performance 😂

We should've given him a 1yr vet min with no guarantees and if he didn't want that then go somewhere else to play. The Bills should use a late Rd pk on a QB to develop for the bkup role there's actually potential in doing something like that maybe u hit big and u can trade that player for something down the line or at least u have a cost control player that bks up your star QB for yrs to come. 

This move should absolutely not stop them trying to do that. 

• Like (+1) 1