Poyer released

beebe

When the Bills win a title, there are players I'm going to think about w/ gratitude, and wishing that they could have achieved that goal while they were on the team.

Hyde & Poyer top that list.  They helped give the Bills D a fierce identity, and were always a joy to watch.  I wish both guys the best.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Success said:

When the Bills win a title, there are players I'm going to think about w/ gratitude, and wishing that they could have achieved that goal while they were on the team.

Hyde & Poyer top that list.  They helped give the Bills D a fierce identity, and were always a joy to watch.  I wish both guys the best.

Absolute Wall of Famers, that’s for sure. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

As much as this franchise hates playing young guys, they really have no choice but to start getting younger on the roster.

The coaching staff has to lose that philosophy, now that Allen's contract is kicking in.

This team has to draft well, an play many of those draft picks sooner than they'd like to.

Thanks Jordan. Had to happen. And in retrospect probably should have happened last year. Hyde likely retires, but if he not he's gone too. And I expect some settlement for Tre. All good moves. 

Po was an absolute dog. Love the player and everything he’s done for the Bills. That said, as others have mentioned, it’s time to get younger and cheaper at the safety spot. Unlike some other positions, I trust McBeane unequivocally on anything defensive back related. 

Edited by Blank Stare

These types of moves are always the toughest.  

Knowing Micah Hyde won't be back next season was sad.  But he's had some pretty serious injuries the last couple years.  It's very possible he will end up retiring anyway.  But Jordan Poyer was always a great team player, and likely still has some juice left in the tank.  Maybe not an All-Pro level anymore, but I still think he's a starting safety in the NFL.

The hardest one (Tre White) is probably still coming.  With Rasul Douglas being restructured, it's almost a given at this point.

• Agree 2

look, Im going to miss Poyer. He had good years here. Heck I have his autograph on my hat. That being said... it was time. He took some horrible angles on open field runners last year and we need to get younger and faster on the back end. 

Am I sad to see the dude go? of course.. Can we do better this year? YES.... 

• Agree 1

I thought they may have kept him one more year … but he was owed too much money based on his level of play last year.. would be interesting if they asked him to take a pay cut first ..:

The Safety market is over supplied … they will get a better player than 2023 Poyer  for $2.5m .. and might bring back Rapp around the same price ..

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

look, Im going to miss Poyer. He had good years here. Heck I have his autograph on my hat. That being said... it was time. He took some horrible angles on open field runners last year and we need to get younger and faster on the back end. 

Am I sad to see the dude go? of course.. Can we do better this year? YES.... 

I think that's where most of us are.  Even when you look on Twitter/X, everyone knows it's time, but this one hurts (emotionally) more than any Bills move made in this era.  

The sentimental aspect of cutting Poyer is what everyone feels today.

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes and no. Hyde was a guy that played like 70% of the snaps in GB for a few years. Poyer played 90%+ the year before in CLE, though was on IR part of the year. Prior to that was a situational guy. But yes they both hit their stride in BUF and became all pros. 

• Agree 1

I know he’d probably want to go somewhere a little more temperate with a decent night life for him and Rachel but I wonder given Seattle’s recent releasing of both their Safeties, does he make a return to his hometown state and play for the Seahawks who are just a couple hours drive from Portland?