Any potential late round QBs that anyone may want to take a flyer on?

Tanner Mordecai doesn’t have the tools to be a great QB but he was in a crowded Oklahoma QB room, and then succeeded at both SMU and Wisconsin in back to back years. Late on Day 3, I think he could be a good backup for us for 4 years.

Even though I think Joe Milton stinks, he’s probably not going to be a late round pick because he has physical attributes others don’t. I expect him off the board in round 4 or early round 5 before the Bills would even consider a QB 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Totally not the point. 

You do understand, it's actually kind of important to have more than 1 QB on a roster, right? You need a backup and most likely one on the PS as well. 

So, would you rather pay a Kyle Allen/Mitch Trubisky $4M-5M to not save the season or a late round rookie substantially less to do the same, knowing the cost difference can go to filling other needs?

Having needs in other places is preciously WHY you draft that rookie in round 5ish instead of signing the vet.

I've been saying this for 2 years. We keep wasting 3M every year on a veteran qb who's never seeing the field. Just find a decent "development" qb that only costs you the minimum. 

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, BBFL said:

The consensus is Joe Milton. Think I agree with that. 

Milton is terrible.  He's a slightly more athletic version of EJ Manuel.  He was given the starting job twice at Michigan and lost it, and then transferred to Tennessee and was again given the starting job and lost it.  After injuries and graduations, he got the Tennessee job last season and he did OK, but he has never come close to reaching his athletic potential.  He's a guy that, in practice, looks like the best player in college football, but he wilts when the bright lights come on.  He's big, strong, and athletic.  By all accounts, he's a hard worker and a team player.  He has one of the strongest arms ever to play the game - can throw it a mile with great velocity.  All that said, he has no touch and zero accuracy.  He can't read a defense.  I suppose some might call that Josh Allen 2.0, but Josh carried a bad Wyoming team, whereas Milton couldn't win with a very talented Michigan team and was good at times, but not great at Tennessee.  Again, he's more like EJ Manuel 2.0 than Josh Allen 2.0.  I have nothing personal against Milton and would be happy for him if he succeeded, but I've seen him play enough to have a good feel for what he brings to the table and I just don't see NFL success in his future.

For a 2nd string QB, I believe a team is better off with a cerebral guy who knows the offense and can be a game manager that won't make a lot of mistakes and try to let the defense win the game.  Maybe an undersized guy or a guy who has the mental makeup of a starter, but not the physical tools to be one.  Milton is the opposite.  He oozes talent and has the ability to make wow plays, but makes a ton of mistakes and can't keep the train on the tracks.  If anything, he's a practice squad type of guy that you work with to try and develop over a long period of time.  Not they guy you give the keys to as a rookie when your star QB goes down.

Edited by msw2112
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't like Rattler.  He's a talented player, but a very me-first type.  He lost his job at Oklahoma and did not handle it well, ultimately bailing and transferring to South Carolina.  He did play some good football there, but I just don't like his personality and don't see him as a good fit for the Bills (not a "process" guy).  Someone else above said that Rattler is living off his reputation of being one of the top QB's to come out of high school when he did (might have even been the #1 guy), but he has not lived up to that potential at Oklahoma or South Carolina.  I agree with that.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Where is Milton projected to go?

Everything I’ve seen it’s between rounds 5&6. 

Some here are adverse to it for whatever reason but he seems like a reasonable project QB that has good athletic traits. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BBFL said:

Everything I’ve seen it’s between rounds 5&6. 

Some here are adverse to it for whatever reason but he seems like a reasonable project QB that has good athletic traits. 

I’m all for investing a 5th or lower into a cost effective back-up QB who might even develop into a guy we can either trust as QB2 or flip for an even better pick down the line.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...