Who Would You Trade Up For, And How Far Would You Go Up To Get Them?

H2o

There have been a lot of WR's picked later in the first and second that are true #1's to justify the price to get get someone that could bust anyway.  I say be patient, let the board play out and move a little when/if that makes sense.  All the pre-draft stuff is noise that people make huge assumptions on.  Any draft pick is risky so if its not a QB, I am not trading next years one and more day two picks for a better lottery ticket.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Hopefully the bills are not thinking this way they better be more than one guy

This happened last year there was a run on wide receivers and Buffalo ended up taking Dalton now I’m not advocating for another tight end, but the idea I’m having more than one guy on your board is still sound

I'm sure they will have more than one guy. But of they really prefer one guy over another, it probably wouldn't be a bad move

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I would trade up in the second round to get sweat

I think one of the 2nd tier of WR’s will be available at #28. The top 3 will be long gone, but one of the others will be available. It would be much cheaper to move up in the 2nd round and I’d love to have a mountain of a man plugging the middle so our LB’s can fly to the ball cleanly. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

On 3/3/2024 at 8:54 AM, H2o said:

The Combine has been fun to watch this year because of the performances by those at our greatest position of need, WR. From the 40's, to the drills, to the tape we have already seen on most of these guys, this is the year we can truly get a difference maker to go with Diggs. 

The way the draft is going to shake out hinges on how teams view these QB's. That's usually the case, but these year even more so I believe. The first 13 picks are where the most QB needy teams are. In those picks you have 8 teams potentially in the market for a QB. Chicago, Washington, New England, Atlanta, Minnesota, Denver, and Las Vegas. The NY Giants could possibly go QB if they have soured on Danny Dimes and want to groom a guy for a season behind him. There was also talk of the Jets looking at QB's. Then you still have teams like Pittsburgh, Seattle, and Tampa who could be in the QB market come the draft. A few of these teams are likely to fill their need for a QB in FA or via trade with Mayfield, Cousins, Fields, or Wilson. How the QB situation plays out will have a huge impact on the top 13 picks. 

Even with the talent pool there are still tiers to this WR class. It is extremely deep though. It's pretty much Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze followed by the rest. I think all three of those guys are going to be stars in this league. Some people say that Nabers may end up being the 1st WR off of the board and not MHJ. Either way, those two with Odunze are the cream of the crop. Even though two of those guys did nothing at the Combine, I have seen enough game film to know what they are. The next tier are all extremely talented, but they have more question marks. Say the draft pans out like the below scenario. Would you be willing to pay the cost to move up from #28 and how far would you go?

1. Chicago - Caleb Williams 

2. Washington - Drake Maye

3. New England - Jayden Daniels

4. Arizona - Marvin Harrison Jr.

5. LA Chargers - Brock Bowers

6. NY Giants 

7. Tennessee 

8. Atlanta

9. Chicago 

10. NY Jets

11. Minnesota 

12. Denver 

13. Las Vegas

I guess a lot of depends on where you feel this team is at overall. And to move up into the top 10, it's gonna cost you. Probably #28, our 2024 2nd, possibly another 2024 pick, 2025's 1st, and a 2025 3rd or 4th as well. Would you call Schoen and pay the price to get Nabers (or Odunze depending on your preference)? Would you wait and see how 6, 7, and 8 play out then hit up Chicago?

Me personally, I seriously consider making the move for Nabers. He, Diggs, Kincaid, Cook, and Shakir out there with Josh slinging to rock around? 

woo hoo ric flair GIF

In all seriousness though, who could the defense key on that would stop this offense then? Imo, at least 2 of the 5 would always be open. We'd have the best offense in the NFL. 

What would you do? Move up for someone? Stay at #28 and see how the draft plays out? Who is your guy and what would you be willing to do to get him?

The answer to your question is in the 2nd post in the thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Hopefully the bills are not thinking this way they better be more than one guy

This happened last year there was a run on wide receivers and Buffalo ended up taking Dalton now I’m not advocating for another tight end, but the idea I’m having more than one guy on your board is still sound

I’m gonna say that it’s better than that draft you have almost can’t miss guys at the beginning of it and it’s such quality that you’re still going to be able to get good players at the end of the first round and the second

That was a really deep wide receiver draft. The bills were at the back end of the first round, missed some of the top guys,  and still came away with Moulds. 

this reminds me of the 2014 draft when everyone was sure so many of these guys would be allstars so far ahead of hte draft but then we watched benjamin fall because teams realize he was garbage. 

the only top wr in the first round that was truly a 1st round talent was evans.

i wish we would have picked him.

Edited by boyst

1 hour ago, noacls said:

Jared Verse DE from FSU. I trade up to mud teens using combo of next year's picks and this year's.

DEFINITELY not trading up for a DE.

Side note: This board would never recover if that happened. :lol:

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, H2o said:

DEFINITELY not trading up for a DE.

Side note: This board would never recover if that happened. :lol:

And the team would never recover if they took 2 WR in the first  3 rounds of the draft like people want. If you go by last year's roster numbers the Bills need 6 total DL and 2 S. Of those 8 players on D you need 1 starter at DL and S. Also atleast 2 other on DL and 1 at S to get considerable playing time. Plus they have no cap space

On 3/3/2024 at 6:18 AM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

If Worthy makes it past the Jags at 17 then I’m starting to call teams. Would pull the trigger to trade up to 23 with the Texans to hop the Cowboys for him.

I dont get the Worthy love.  Why cuz he ran in no pads in a straight line really fast?  There are big WR's running blazing sub 4.4 fortys this year, its insane.  Yet people are enamored with a stick figure who weighs as much as my 10 month old son in Worthy?  For me, he is the classic overdrafted guy because he wowed in the 40.  Cannot fathom how a guy who is 6'1" but only weighs 165 pounds after a huge meal is supposed to hold up to WR1 type volume in the NFL.  

He is nothing compared to Tyreek Hill despite seeing so many people comparing them.  They are both fast, thats it.  Hill is tank for his size and is maybe the best deep ball tracker of his generation and a rare case of someone with the ups and strength to play a foot taller than he is.  Meanwhile, the wind in Buffalo might blow him off his route lol.  

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Who is to say that that’s trying your best

Football is a team sport. The best thing to do is to make your team overall the best not one specific position, especially not in a year when there are so many good options, wide receiver.

For instance, I have no idea where Legget is going to go, but he is a much closer to 28 than he is odunzi

If you improve the position, and I think Legette would be an improvement over Gabe Davis, you still have those other pics to address other needs

It’s not gonna be any easier to get under this salary cap year to year we have to start getting younger at key positions on cost controlled contracts

What makes you so sure Leggette is an improvement over Gabe Davis?  Because is 40 time is faster?  Im not saying Leggette is a bad prospect, but the negatives/concerns on Leggette are all still there after running fast at his combine.  Poor footwork, lack of acceleration and burst off the line to gain separation, is more of a strider so takes a while to get up to his top speed and lacks short area explosion, etc.  I mean if I was to write down all the issues with Gabe Davis I would write all those verbatim.  

Doesn't mean Leggette cant put those concerns to rest and improve on them, but at pick 28 this team needs a WR who is a threat at all 3 levels of the defense, someone who can replace Diggs at some point as WR1.  

At 28...If I am Beane, I am all about getting Thomas or Mitchell as the top 2 priorities, and willing to make a small trade up to get one.  If the trade up doesn't work out, and both are gone, I would take McConkey or make a small trade back and pick up an extra 3rd where I can still take a WR after the trade down and have an extra 3rd to double up on another WR that slips in this deep draft or even package with another one of our picks to move back up and get another one.  '

If we traded down say within 10 spots:  Could still potentially land McConkey (although I seriously doubt he gets past KC), Legette, Pearsall (crushed his combine and moved himself up in the draft), or someone like Franklin or Coleman who likely slide a little bit after a few disappointing drills at the combine.  

With two 2nd's and two 3rds, we could take 2 WR's in those 4 picks with great value and still grab someone for the DL and the secondary.  

As I said in another post, my way too early prediction:  Bills make a small move up to land one of Thomas or Mitchell.  After the combine, I really feel like these two guys grade out very closely to the big 3 and are true WR1, attack all 3 levels of the defense, type prospects.  Armed with 10 picks, I think Beane is willing to pull the trigger to get one if need be.  

Furthermore, with the cap suprisingly higher than anticipated, I think Beane might be a little more aggressive in terms of filling holes in FA...not high priced spending...but filling enough holes so that he can use some of his draft picks to move around the draft to get the young talent he is targeting and not hit the draft feeling like he cant spare the picks to fill holes.

• Agree 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont get the Worthy love.  Why cuz he ran in no pads in a straight line really fast?  There are big WR's running blazing sub 4.4 fortys this year, its insane.  Yet people are enamored with a stick figure who weighs as much as my 10 month old son in Worthy?  For me, he is the classic overdrafted guy because he wowed in the 40.  Cannot fathom how a guy who is 6'1" but only weighs 165 pounds after a huge meal is supposed to hold up to WR1 type volume in the NFL.  

He is nothing compared to Tyreek Hill despite seeing so many people comparing them.  They are both fast, thats it.  Hill is tank for his size and is maybe the best deep ball tracker of his generation and a rare case of someone with the ups and strength to play a foot taller than he is.  Meanwhile, the wind in Buffalo might blow him off his route lol.  

What makes you so sure Leggette is an improvement over Gabe Davis?  Because is 40 time is faster?  Im not saying Leggette is a bad prospect, but the negatives/concerns on Leggette are all still there after running fast at his combine.  Poor footwork, lack of acceleration and burst off the line to gain separation, is more of a strider so takes a while to get up to his top speed and lacks short area explosion, etc.  I mean if I was to write down all the issues with Gabe Davis I would write all those verbatim.  

Doesn't mean Leggette cant put those concerns to rest and improve on them, but at pick 28 this team needs a WR who is a threat at all 3 levels of the defense, someone who can replace Diggs at some point as WR1.  

At 28...If I am Beane, I am all about getting Thomas or Mitchell as the top 2 priorities, and willing to make a small trade up to get one.  If the trade up doesn't work out, and both are gone, I would take McConkey or make a small trade back and pick up an extra 3rd where I can still take a WR after the trade down and have an extra 3rd to double up on another WR that slips in this deep draft or even package with another one of our picks to move back up and get another one.  '

If we traded down say within 10 spots:  Could still potentially land McConkey (although I seriously doubt he gets past KC), Legette, Pearsall (crushed his combine and moved himself up in the draft), or someone like Franklin or Coleman who likely slide a little bit after a few disappointing drills at the combine.  

With two 2nd's and two 3rds, we could take 2 WR's in those 4 picks with great value and still grab someone for the DL and the secondary.  

As I said in another post, my way too early prediction:  Bills make a small move up to land one of Thomas or Mitchell.  After the combine, I really feel like these two guys grade out very closely to the big 3 and are true WR1, attack all 3 levels of the defense, type prospects.  Armed with 10 picks, I think Beane is willing to pull the trigger to get one if need be.  

Furthermore, with the cap suprisingly higher than anticipated, I think Beane might be a little more aggressive in terms of filling holes in FA...not high priced spending...but filling enough holes so that he can use some of his draft picks to move around the draft to get the young talent he is targeting and not hit the draft feeling like he cant spare the picks to fill holes.

Who is to say that any of these wide receivers are better better than Gabe Davis

He seems to fit the traits that we are losing with Gabe. He’s a little faster seems to have a little bit better ball skills.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He was in my top 5 WR pre-Combine, so what he ran only really confirmed what I thought I was seeing. His play looked good and I would have been interested in the first round even if he ran a 4.4.

(165 “after a huge meal” based on…?)

When I watch Worthy, I see Hill-like speed, although a more apt pro comparison might be Flowers from last year but to me a higher ceiling. I also see a guy who is good with contact, plays bigger than his size, tracks deep balls well, and has been productive since starting college.

(If your ten month old son weighs 165 lbs, then please contact Beane immediately to let him know so he has his eye on him for an early 2040s draft!)

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Who is to say that any of these wide receivers are better better than Gabe Davis

He seems to fit the traits that we are losing with Gabe. He’s a little faster seems to have a little bit better ball skills.

Struggles off the line, struggles in short area acceleration, struggles to use his speed outside of long straight strides, struggles to gain separation outside of where he can use his stride.  Sounds like a slightly faster clone of Gabe.  

I think this class is so deep at WR the Bills most likely are best off waiting until pick 28 and seeing which WR's are there or IF Brian Thomas falls to 25-27 maybe make a small trade-up similar to Kincaid last year. The Bills have several picks in rounds 5-6 so giving up a pair of 5ths or a 4th to get a quality top 6 WR is a fairly small cost to pay. But other than a small 1-3 slot trade up for a really good player that slips a bit off the board I think the Bills are better off just as cliche as it sounds "letting the draft come to them". I also think the WR class is so insanely deep that if the Bills can get a good value trade down to the lower to mid-30's and maybe get a swap of picks or future 2025 selections then the Bills can get better value as well. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

He was in my top 5 WR pre-Combine, so what he ran only really confirmed what I thought I was seeing. His play looked good and I would have been interested in the first round even if he ran a 4.4.

All good, everyone has their own boards and opinions, and thats all they are right now, mine included and none are right or wrong currently.  Personally, I had him more around WR10 to 12 range coming in, and still do because I do not see him as a WR1 in the NFL with his very skinny frame.  

His playing weight was 164 pounds...so what do you mean based on what?  He weighed in at 165 at the combine.  He is 6'1" and only weighs 165 pounds, he is a stick figure.  

When I watch Worthy, I see Hill-like speed, although a more apt pro comparison might be Flowers from last year but to me a higher ceiling. I also see a guy who is good with contact, plays bigger than his size, tracks deep balls well, and has been productive since starting college.

(If your ten month old son weighs 165 lbs, then please contact Beane immediately to let him know so he has his eye on him for an early 2040s draft!)

I don't get the Flowers comparison at all TBH other than both are fast.  Flowers is much shorter but weighs more than Worthy, they have totally different frames.  And if I am being honest about Flowers, he hasn't shown he is a WR1 either.  He had 850 yards and only 1 game with 100 yards on a team desperate for WR help.  Despite all his speed, he averaged just 11.1 ypc because they used him small because he is small.  

Flowers had a fine rookie year, don't get me wrong, not dumping on him, but with the riches at WR in this draft, he just isn't the barometer I am looking for with so many guys who have all 3 of size, speed, and talent at all 3 levels who are clear WR1 type prospects.  

If Diggs was 28, then fine, someone like Worthy might come in and be complimentary piece to a WR1.  But in a draft this rich with guys who are clear WR1 candidates, I just can't see elevating Worthy over many of them in the first.  A team like Dallas with Lamb who plays indoors at home would make a ton of sense for Worthy, but for a  team that needs an heir WR1 to Diggs and already lacks size at WR, he just doesn't seem like the right choice for us specifically.  

I just struggle to see the fit here where WR's are asked to block a lot, bad weather negates speed often here in Buffalo, especially late in season and post season where the games mean the most.  Now if we took a WR like Thomas or Mitchell for example and landed Worthy in a trade up say in the 2nd, then great.  

End of day, my 2 cents is that I don't personally want to come out of this draft with our heir to the WR1 throne weighing under 170 pounds despite being over 6 feet tall because I think he will be too easily taken out of bad weather games, offers very little in terms of blocking when we need to run the ball (again like bad weather post season games), I don't think has the strength to be a consistent WR at all 3 levels of the defense, and I don't trust his skinny frame to hold up to the punishment of an NFL season as a featured WR1.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-combine-results-wr-measurements-40-yard-dash-winners-losers-as-xavier-worthy-breaks-combine-record/

5'11'' 165

Do you think he can fill the void of being a #2 for the Bills?

Does not seem to be a good outlook and track record for guys being drafted that light from what I have read and the information I have looked at. 

• Like (+1) 1

One of the issues to bear in mind is that most teams know we're looking hard at WR in the 1st round, so if any of those 2nd-tier guys slip into the 20s, other interested teams will be looking to leapfrog us. Thinking any of them would drop to us at 28 is probably a very risky move.

That's why I agree with @Alphadawg7 that if any of them make it to the 20s, we'll probably make a small move up to get one of them.

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, noacls said:

And the team would never recover if they took 2 WR in the first  3 rounds of the draft like people want. If you go by last year's roster numbers the Bills need 6 total DL and 2 S. Of those 8 players on D you need 1 starter at DL and S. Also atleast 2 other on DL and 1 at S to get considerable playing time. Plus they have no cap space

Yeah, that's a bit dramatic. The team took two DE's in the first two rounds, one of which was a bust. We seem to be alright.