Takeaways from Beane's Combine pressers

GunnerBill

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

I would bet yes as he tore it October 1st and Achilles injuries these days typically seem to be 6- 9 month range.

But regardless that would be a big gamble as who knows how effective he would even be 

I think it’s a gamble they can’t rely on …even if he is back and playing Week 1 … it might take him several weeks to get back to top form…

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think it’s a gamble they can’t rely on …even if he is back and playing Week 1 … it might take him several weeks to get back to top form…

Ya I agree. I was more just speculating because if they release Douglas, I would guess Tre would be back in some capacity.

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mrags said:

If we let go of Douglas this staff is outright ridiculous. He was our best defender down the stretch last year. And it wasn’t even close. 

True. But what happens if he is asking for a ridiculous contract?

If the Bills keep him, they almost have  to lower his cap number by extending him.

And if he's asking for a ridiculous contract, I don't think it would be wise to give that to a guy nearing 30 in a position where you need to be quick.

2 hours ago, In Summary said:

........plus the expenditure of a 3rd round pick.....

yea , might be contract posturing.

tre (god love the man) is just not gonna return to form

Von contract is another albatross around McBeane's neck for years still.
 Rasul is better than any other CB on the team. Dependable in his play.
and like In Summary kindly mentioned ^

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

If the Bills keep him, they almost have  to lower his cap number by extending him.

And if he's asking for a ridiculous contract, I don't think it would be wise to give that to a guy nearing 30 in a position where you need to be quick.

Of course. But we have no idea

Gunner was just reading tea leaves at from the presser.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

yea , might be contract posturing.

tre (god love the man) is just not gonna return to form

Von contract is another albatross around McBeane's neck for years still.
 Rasul is better than any other CB on the team. Dependable in his play.
and like In Summary kindly mentioned ^

Of course. But we have no idea

Gunner was just reading tea leaves at from the presser.

No I know, I was just responding to the comment where it said it would be ridiculous to get rid of Douglas.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's possible- especially if Douglas is asking for a massive extension and the bills can save 10 mil with 0 dead cap

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I respectfully disagree.   A guy 22-30 yes. A guy at his age with all the milage on him... no.  Athletes don't get better after a certain age,and he is at or past that point and with all the injuries.   I just don't see it. 

As I said, people can have their opinions.  

But you're talking about a first-ballot Hall of Fame player.  At the same age, Bruce Smith, another first ballot Hall of Famer, had two double digit sack seasons ahead of him.  

ACL surgery and recovery from it is pretty routine now.  Miller's work ethic is great.  

I agree.  He might be done, but he's not your average guy.  

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

As I said, people can have their opinions.  

But you're talking about a first-ballot Hall of Fame player.  At the same age, Bruce Smith, another first ballot Hall of Famer, had two double digit sack seasons ahead of him.  

ACL surgery and recovery from it is pretty routine now.  Miller's work ethic is great.  

I agree.  He might be done, but he's not your average guy.  

The ACL isn't the question or the real injury and I don't know why this is still missed. (Not a shot at you Shaw)

The original injury was him tearing the meniscus off the tibia.  They found a partial ACL tear once they got in there, it wasn't even seen on the MRI.

That's not a good injury.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Listening to Charles Davis on OBD, he mentioned the need for the Bills to have a physical back to pair with Cook. Braelon Allen was the name he spoke of. 

I brought him up several times about a month ago. I like him a lot, but he's going way too early for a team that needs WR, DL, and maybe S in the first two days.

Isaiah Davis in the mid rounds, or maybe Kendall Milton late is more in the ballpark.

54 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

He’s under contract. They can find other ways to get under the cap. They don’t need to cut him and create another hole 

I thought our defense was noticeably improved after Douglas was acquired.  Even if Elam can develop, seems to make sense to me extend Douglas to reduce his cap hit for next season.  I think releasing or trading him would be a mistake until it is clear that Elam (or another CB on our roster) can be a starting caliber CB opposite Benford.

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

He’s under contract. They can find other ways to get under the cap. They don’t need to cut him and create another hole 

Technically yes, but a 10 mil hard cap hit isn't ideal at all. 

It's in both parties best interest to come to an extension.

1. Douglas gets security

2. Bills clear much needed cap space 

But if Douglas is being unreasonable, it puts Beane in a tough spot for this years cap and future years 

12 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Between Beane's presser and Tasker's views on the secondary, I have a feeling that Douglas will be released for cap savings.  I think it will be a mistake, particularly if the Bills think Elam can be a starter at CB.

Why release him? Makes no sense.

You can trade him and get the same cap savings if you really want the cap room over the player. 

Letting Douglas go makes no sense to me.

So you save $10 million. And who's gonna be our number 1 or number 2 corner? And what do you pay him?

You think you're gonna get a proven starter at corner for $5 million?

No? So we draft that guy? And we pin our hopes on a rookie being a starter? No way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.