KC makes Sneed available for Trade

6 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

the injuries to Von and Tre are not on the team.  just unfortunate events.   If Chris Jones and Kelce went down for the year, does that mean Reid should be fired for going 8-8?   

Well Von was 32 years old when he got that contract. By far the oldest edge rusher to get a deal that big. Most guys getting that deal are 25-27 not 32 years old. The Chiefs have been avoiding giving Jones a a large long term deal and he is only 29. 

I can chalk Tre up to bad luck with the injury.

Issue with Knox is they paid him top TE money. He is overpaid and even worse now that we have Kincaid. Plenty of teams had more productive guys than Knox for less money. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Agreed. Not every KC move needs to be lauded as genius. What’s more important to me is their overall philosophy of doing business when you have the guy at QB. It affords them the ability to move on from great players, still in their prime, to accumulate pieces for the team. 

Outside of Tyreek Hill, there aren't really any great examples of the Chiefs being willing to move on from their top players.  It was really a one-time thing, because they desperately needed to upgrade the O-Line and simply couldn't afford to keep him.  If the Bills were forced to trade away one of their best players in middle of their Super Bowl window, the fans would have screamed about bad roster management.  And in moving on from Hill, their WR group has been amongst the NFL's worst over the past two years.  The lack of weapons almost did them in this year.

People are looking at the Bills cap situation vs. the Chiefs cap situation, and acting like they have a superior front office because they have more space.  The difference is that Kansas City's pending free agents are Chris Jones and La'Jarius Sneed, along with their starting Left Tackle Donovan Smith, their other starting Defensive Tackle Derrick Nnadi and starting linebacker Willie Gay.  Along with another 15-20 depth players.  Not remotely the same situation.

They drafted Snead in the lower rounds and developed him. Now they’re reaping that reward. By tagging him they will get a first if someone else wants him. It also allows the market to set his price and have the right to match. It’s not genius but it’s definitely a great move.

The Bills have been able to develop AND keep the majority of their best players.

I'm not sure why we are applauding their cap management, because they are possibly losing their best cornerback.

How much credit do the Bills get for getting a 3rd Round comp pick for Tremaine Edmunds, while at the same time upgrading him with Terrell Bernard?

NFL teams are closely matched because of the cap. It’s a design purpose. So when you say a team ‘scraped’ by another team that means they beat them. There aren’t style points in the NFL. Great teams make those extra 1 or 2 plays to get the win. In KC’s case this year they did that 3 times in a row against very good teams in the highest of pressured situations. That’s not easy to do. Bills, Balt, SF couldn’t do it. 

Unfortunately Bills are a good team but not a great team yet. So that leaves us fans with a lot of feel good ‘what if’ scenarios. 

If the ball doesn't bounce off Darrel Luter's foot during the punt return, the Chiefs do not win the Super Bowl.  

If Zay Flowers stretches one more inch before fumbling into the endzone, the Chiefs do not win the AFC.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not trying to diminish the Chiefs accomplishment.  They are a great team and deserve the Lombardi.  But neither of those plays had anything to do with superior roster/cap management over the rest of the NFL.

The Chiefs front office should get credit for putting together a roster consistently good enough to compete for the Super Bowl every year.  That isn't easy.  But so should the Buffalo Bills, 49ers, Ravens, etc.  The difference between those teams is literally 1-2 lucky plays.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Sweats said:

Looks like KC has a plan and aren't afraid to roll with it every season. I mean, they look like a franchise who just seems to "get it"......i kind of wish our FO actually knew what the hell they were doing, instead of looking like they are just making stuff up as they go.

5 straight years making the playoffs (and 6 of the last 7 years).

4 straight years winning the division and at least one playoff game.

The second highest winning percentage (.697) in all of professional sports over the last 5 years. 

Includes the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL.

4 straight years with a Top 10 scoring offense.  Ranks were #6, #2, #3 and #2.

3 straight years with a Top 5 scoring defense.  Ranks were #4, #2 and #1.

4 straight years Top 5 in scoring differential.  5 straight years Top 10.

Please kill the nonsense that our front office doesn't know what it's doing.

If the only standard for success is the Kansas City Chiefs, then every single GM in the league is a miserable failure.

Edited by mjt328
  • Thank you (+1) 5

59 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Outside of Tyreek Hill, there aren't really any great examples of the Chiefs being willing to move on from their top players.  It was really a one-time thing, because they desperately needed to upgrade the O-Line and simply couldn't afford to keep him.  If the Bills were forced to trade away one of their best players in middle of their Super Bowl window, the fans would have screamed about bad roster management.  And in moving on from Hill, their WR group has been amongst the NFL's worst over the past two years.  The lack of weapons almost did them in this year.

People are looking at the Bills cap situation vs. the Chiefs cap situation, and acting like they have a superior front office because they have more space.  The difference is that Kansas City's pending free agents are Chris Jones and La'Jarius Sneed, along with their starting Left Tackle Donovan Smith, their other starting Defensive Tackle Derrick Nnadi and starting linebacker Willie Gay.  Along with another 15-20 depth players.  Not remotely the same situation.

The Bills have been able to develop AND keep the majority of their best players.

I'm not sure why we are applauding their cap management, because they are possibly losing their best cornerback.

How much credit do the Bills get for getting a 3rd Round comp pick for Tremaine Edmunds, while at the same time upgrading him with Terrell Bernard?

If the ball doesn't bounce off Darrel Luter's foot during the punt return, the Chiefs do not win the Super Bowl.  

If Zay Flowers stretches one more inch before fumbling into the endzone, the Chiefs do not win the AFC.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not trying to diminish the Chiefs accomplishment.  They are a great team and deserve the Lombardi.  But neither of those plays had anything to do with superior roster/cap management over the rest of the NFL.

The Chiefs front office should get credit for putting together a roster consistently good enough to compete for the Super Bowl every year.  That isn't easy.  But so should the Buffalo Bills, 49ers, Ravens, etc.  The difference between those teams is literally 1-2 lucky plays.

If you look at them through these last handful of years you’d see that they have let a lot of home grown talent walked without tying up huge cap space to retain them. Instead they opted to replaced those talents with cheaper draft picks. ‘Possibly losing their best corner’ is not a new thing for them. They let Charvarious Ward walked after the first Superbowl so they wouldn’t have to pay him the big contract. They replaced him with Snead. Now they have McDuffie in line if Snead leaves as well as others they’re grooming.

That’s the difference between them and the Bills. You’re touting the Bills for keeping their picks but at what price? Add in some of the dead money big FA contracts like Von and I’m not sure how you don’t see the difference in the two FO’s. 

When you bring up lucky plays you are trying to diminish what they’ve accomplished. If this was a one off Superbowl you’d have a better argument. But this is the second leg of a back-to-back and 3rd out of 4 Superbowls they’ve played in. No amount of lucky bounces can account for that level of success. And they’re still in a better cap situation than the Bills with a younger team primed to chase more championships. But yeah keep thinking the difference between the two FO’s ‘is literally 1-2 lucky plays’.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Outside of Tyreek Hill, there aren't really any great examples of the Chiefs being willing to move on from their top players.

they did it w Ward who was their best DB at the time iirc

moved off Frank Clark at the right moment

also got Mathieu to shore up a soft defensive unit and won a SB, he got ProBowls+All-Pro during his time there but they were smart and let him walk when his deal was up

these were all top guys at their positions at the time

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

MVS kind of sucks though, in my opinion.  If I have $12M to spend or a few more bucks, I’d spend it on a guy like Gabe Davis before MVS.

except he showed up in the playoffs with important catches here, in Balt and in SB

I have no idea what his market value will be perceived as.  I’ve never cared for the guy though

Edited by Warriorspikes51

14 hours ago, 90sBills said:

If you look at them through these last handful of years you’d see that they have let a lot of home grown talent walked without tying up huge cap space to retain them. Instead they opted to replaced those talents with cheaper draft picks. ‘Possibly losing their best corner’ is not a new thing for them. They let Charvarious Ward walked after the first Superbowl so they wouldn’t have to pay him the big contract. They replaced him with Snead. Now they have McDuffie in line if Snead leaves as well as others they’re grooming.

That’s the difference between them and the Bills. You’re touting the Bills for keeping their picks but at what price? Add in some of the dead money big FA contracts like Von and I’m not sure how you don’t see the difference in the two FO’s. 

When you bring up lucky plays you are trying to diminish what they’ve accomplished. If this was a one off Superbowl you’d have a better argument. But this is the second leg of a back-to-back and 3rd out of 4 Superbowls they’ve played in. No amount of lucky bounces can account for that level of success. And they’re still in a better cap situation than the Bills with a younger team primed to chase more championships. But yeah keep thinking the difference between the two FO’s ‘is literally 1-2 lucky plays’.

I guess we can disagree, but I never considered Charvarious Ward more than an average cornerback.  To me, he would be the equivalent of us letting Gabe Davis walk this offseason.  Not really a key piece or type of player they would sorely miss.  Someone else also mentioned Frank Clark, who was already over the hill when they let him leave.  He didn't even sign with anyone until late October, and even then signed for just over the vet minimum.

Which homegrown players do you believe the Bills SHOULD have let walk instead of paying them in free agency?  Tre White?  Matt Milano?  Dion Dawkins?  Taron Johnson?  Ed Oliver?  All of these players were great re-signings by the Bills.  And looking back, all could even be considered bargains compared to their market value had they actually hit the market.  They let Tremaine Edmunds walk and it turned out to be 100% the right decision.

Again.  The Bills have literally ONE major free agent contract we can realistically complain about.  Von Miller.  And based on 6-7 years of trends, it's pretty obvious that signing was very uncharacteristic by Brandon Beane.  This is not something he or the Bills regularly do.  He tried making a big splash to get over the hump, and then went right back to a low-key/conservative signings in 2023. 

That's why I think these complaints are ridiculous.  The way Beane manages his salary cap and the way Brett Veach runs his are actually VERY similar.  Both try building through the draft first.  Both are usually low-key in free agency, with the occasional exception (a great example for the Chiefs is Joe Thuney).  Both do their best to re-sign their best players, but won't break the bank to do it.  Both are forced yearly to restructure contracts to make cap space.  

The Bills-Chiefs are literally a toss-up over the last 3 seasons.  Every single game between them has come down to 1-2 plays.  It sucks that we keep coming out on the short-hand in the playoffs.  But that doesn't prove their team OR their front office is vastly superior.  It's much much closer than anyone wants to give us credit for.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I guess we can disagree, but I never considered Charvarious Ward more than an average cornerback.  To me, he would be the equivalent of us letting Gabe Davis walk this offseason.  Not really a key piece or type of player they would sorely miss.  Someone else also mentioned Frank Clark, who was already over the hill when they let him leave.  He didn't even sign with anyone until late October, and even then signed for just over the vet minimum.

Which homegrown players do you believe the Bills SHOULD have let walk instead of paying them in free agency?  Tre White?  Matt Milano?  Dion Dawkins?  Taron Johnson?  Ed Oliver?  All of these players were great re-signings by the Bills.  And looking back, all could even be considered bargains compared to their market value had they actually hit the market.  They let Tremaine Edmunds walk and it turned out to be 100% the right decision.

Again.  The Bills have literally ONE major free agent contract we can realistically complain about.  Von Miller.  And based on 6-7 years of trends, it's pretty obvious that signing was very uncharacteristic by Brandon Beane.  This is not something he or the Bills regularly do.  He tried making a big splash to get over the hump, and then went right back to a low-key/conservative signings in 2023. 

That's why I think these complaints are ridiculous.  The way Beane manages his salary cap and the way Brett Veach runs his are actually VERY similar.  Both try building through the draft first.  Both are usually low-key in free agency, with the occasional exception (a great example for the Chiefs is Joe Thuney).  Both do their best to re-sign their best players, but won't break the bank to do it.  Both are forced yearly to restructure contracts to make cap space.  

The Bills-Chiefs are literally a toss-up over the last 3 seasons.  Every single game between them has come down to 1-2 plays.  It sucks that we keep coming out on the short-hand in the playoffs.  But that doesn't prove their team OR their front office is vastly superior.  It's much much closer than anyone wants to give us credit for.

Your feelings about Ward might have the benefit of hindsight. At the time he was KC’s best corner. He signed a 3 yr 42mil deal with SF and is their best man-to-man coverage db today. KC’s FO had drafted enough quality DB’s for that move to be possible. Despite your opinion of him there was a big money market for him when KC let him go.

Why didn’t you include Dawson Knox in your examples? Making him one of the top paid TE’s in the league while not getting that kind of production. Then followed up with drafting a 1st round tight end. If you think those were good moves then I don’t know what to say.

While not home grown Bills did give Hyde and Poyer their first real contracts. Those were great moves. What’s not so great is having to extend them to the point of both being 30+ and over their shelf value. Compared that to KC’s talented, and cheap, secondary group and you really can’t even compare.

Beane and Veach are very similar in that they’re both GMs’ for NFL teams. One guy hands out contracts to aging vets externally and internally while the other loads up on young talented cheap labor to build his team. So yeah agree to disagree that they’re similar.

I won’t address the on the field results stuffs because it’s just sad at this point. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Your feelings about Ward might have the benefit of hindsight. At the time he was KC’s best corner. He signed a 3 yr 42mil deal with SF and is their best man-to-man coverage db today. KC’s FO had drafted enough quality DB’s for that move to be possible. Despite your opinion of him there was a big money market for him when KC let him go.

Why didn’t you include Dawson Knox in your examples? Making him one of the top paid TE’s in the league while not getting that kind of production. Then followed up with drafting a 1st round tight end. If you think those were good moves then I don’t know what to say.

While not home grown Bills did give Hyde and Poyer their first real contracts. Those were great moves. What’s not so great is having to extend them to the point of both being 30+ and over their shelf value. Compared that to KC’s talented, and cheap, secondary group and you really can’t even compare.

Beane and Veach are very similar in that they’re both GMs’ for NFL teams. One guy hands out contracts to aging vets externally and internally while the other loads up on young talented cheap labor to build his team. So yeah agree to disagree that they’re similar.

I won’t address the on the field results stuffs because it’s just sad at this point. 

Biggest difference between Veach and Beane is arguably the philosophies of the head coaches they work with. Andy is unafraid to throw rookies and young players onto the field and let them work through their mistakes during the regular season, even if the results aren't pretty, in hopes of developing them and/or building depth that has been tested come playoff time. McDermott has a clear preference for veteran players who are closer to a finished product, and often times (not always) doesn't let young guys play through their mistakes. 

Both GM's are pretty damn good at roster building, each with consensus top five teams three plus years in a row. 

• Agree 1

I’m not a cap guru, so I’m trying to figure out how the Bills got to where they are.  Allen, obviously.  Miller, Diggs and to a lesser extent Knox?  I find it hard to second guess Diggs deal. Miller has at least some bad luck attached to his deal, although counter is you just don’t give that kind of deal to a 33 year old.  Can a couple of bad deals put you in cap hell?  What am I missing?

16 minutes ago, beebe said:

Biggest difference between Veach and Beane is arguably the philosophies of the head coaches they work with. Andy is unafraid to throw rookies and young players onto the field and let them work through their mistakes during the regular season, even if the results aren't pretty, in hopes of developing them and/or building depth that has been tested come playoff time. McDermott has a clear preference for veteran players who are closer to a finished product, and often times (not always) doesn't let young guys play through their mistakes. 

Both GM's are pretty damn good at roster building, each with consensus top five teams three plus years in a row. 

Coaching is definitely part of the equation. Although McD has soften on that stance compared to a few years ago. I also think McD has a lot of influence over Beane with roster building. I’m not sure if that’s the case in KC. 

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

Veach got a big benefit from the draft haul the Chiefs got for trading Tyreek Hill...who is an uncommon talent with his speed (albeit also a bit obnoxious).  Hill initiated the whole thing with his ego and public comments.  And of course the Dolphins saw the shiny object and gave up that draft haul.  It would be interesting to see if the Bills had a "shiny object" not named Josh Allen, that was making public demands, what Beane would do.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

I’m not a cap guru, so I’m trying to figure out how the Bills got to where they are.  Allen, obviously.  Miller, Diggs and to a lesser extent Knox?  I find it hard to second guess Diggs deal. Miller has at least some bad luck attached to his deal, although counter is you just don’t give that kind of deal to a 33 year old.  Can a couple of bad deals put you in cap hell?  What am I missing?

Are they really in “cap hell” though?

Things might be a bit tight this year … and even in 2025 if they have to move on from both Miller and possibly Diggs ..

But come 2026 and the Cap north of $300m they should be fine after a couple of years of belt tightening…

9 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Veach got a big benefit from the draft haul the Chiefs got for trading Tyreek Hill...who is an uncommon talent with his speed (albeit also a bit obnoxious).  Hill initiated the whole thing with his ego and public comments.  And of course the Dolphins saw the shiny object and gave up that draft haul.  It would be interesting to see if the Bills had a "shiny object" not named Josh Allen, that was making public demands, what Beane would do.  

we did, his name is Tre White

and when his value was at his absolute peak we decided to make him the highest paid DB in the league

• Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Are they really in “cap hell” though?

Things might be a bit tight this year … and even in 2025 if they have to move on from both Miller and possibly Diggs ..

But come 2026 and the Cap north of $300m they should be fine after a couple of years of belt tightening…

Its all relative. Main competetion, Chiefs, Bengals, Ravens are all in better cap shape.  

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

we did, his name is Tre White

and when his value was at his absolute peak we decided to make him the highest paid DB in the league

I don't recall Tre White making public demands to be the highest paid corner in the league.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Neither do I. But I don't think that has any real bearing on whether or not the way this FO hands out deals is smart.

As I recall, shortly thereafter Jalen Ramsey got his extension etc.  Tre's contract was actually quite the bargain.  Additionally...I don't think trading Tre would have resulted in the huge draft haul KC got from Miami.

On 2/28/2024 at 5:39 PM, mjt328 said:

This x1,000. Add in Jalen Hurts simply dropping the ball and it bouncing straight up to Bolton for him to run it in during the other SB. They also had horrible OTs that led the league in penalties all year only to not ever get called for holding in the playoffs and especially the SB when they were holding Bosa all night. Things that would sink the other 31 teams don’t bite them and they get every bounce. Not every move they make is perfect. The Ravens and 49ers have better rosters. The chiefs roster is better than ours though. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

As I recall, shortly thereafter Jalen Ramsey got his extension etc.  Tre's contract was actually quite the bargain.  Additionally...I don't think trading Tre would have resulted in the huge draft haul KC got from Miami.

It would not. But that’s really not the point. It’s the philosophy of paying top end $ for your guys. Bills have done that to their detriment because we don’t have a championship to show for it.

Trading Hill did yield a bounty for KC and they converted that by hitting on their picks. But you don’t have to get that kind of haul if your strategy is to sparingly pay high price contracts while filling your roster with young talents. KC is operating on that philosophy. Bills aren’t. That’s where I think the main difference is. Then when KC hit on their picks like they have recently it makes it hard to swallow as Bills fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Neither do I. But I don't think that has any real bearing on whether or not the way this FO hands out deals is smart.

This is where the family mindset hurts our team. I suspect Beane will feel like he owes players like White and Morse something instead of making the right decision and moving on. Hopefully he proves me wrong. Up to this point he has been way too much of a pushover when it comes to overpaid underperforming players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is where the family mindset hurts our team. I suspect Beane will feel like he owes players like White and Morse something instead of making the right decision and moving on. Hopefully he proves me wrong. Up to this point he has been way too much of a pushover when it comes to overpaid underperforming players.

I don't think Morse is underperforming... He's a really good athletic center

He has weaknesses like most players but he's really solid.. They honestly probably give Bates the first shot after Morse retires 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

It would not. But that’s really not the point. It’s the philosophy of paying top end $ for your guys. Bills have done that to their detriment because we don’t have a championship to show for it.

Trading Hill did yield a bounty for KC and they converted that by hitting on their picks. But you don’t have to get that kind of haul if your strategy is to sparingly pay high price contracts while filling your roster with young talents. KC is operating on that philosophy. Bills aren’t. That’s where I think the main difference is. Then when KC hit on their picks like they have recently it makes it hard to swallow as Bills fans. 

I don't think Beane has made a habit of over-paying players...with the exception of Knox, which I still don't understand.  The contracts for the most part are fair market value.  If the idea is to draft and develop your own players, then second contracts are to be expected.  Oliver's deal was a bargain as was Tre's ultimately.  We let Edmunds walk.  The free agent contracts...namely Von's was a stab at signing a difference maker that could get the Bills over the hump.  It looked like it would until the Detroit game.  So you definitely could question the free agent contracts and extending aging players.   That is not a sustainable strategy.

On 2/28/2024 at 4:39 PM, mjt328 said:

Outside of Tyreek Hill, there aren't really any great examples of the Chiefs being willing to move on from their top players.  It was really a one-time thing, because they desperately needed to upgrade the O-Line and simply couldn't afford to keep him

One time except for Alex Smith, Juju, Charvarious Ward, Tyrann Matthieu, Frank Clark, Anthony Hitchens, Marcus Peters, Dee Ford, Mitch Morse, Juan Thornhill…

That team had 3 remaining starters from the 2019 Super Bowl team.  Their entire ethos revolves around their willingness to churn top players.  Mahomes is untouchable.  Literally everyone else is a cog in the wheel.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think Morse is underperforming... He's a really good athletic center

Underperforming isn't the right word for him. But I am confident saying he is not worth his cap hit this year. Not when legitimate upgrades at WR and DE can be had in free agency. But it would require Beane make a ruthless decision with a player that has done everything right since he got here. I don't know if he has it in him, unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

One time except for Alex Smith, Juju, Charvarious Ward, Tyrann Matthieu, Frank Clark, Anthony Hitchens, Marcus Peters, Dee Ford, Mitch Morse, Juan Thornhill…

That team had 3 remaining starters from the 2019 Super Bowl team.  Their entire ethos revolves around their willingness to churn top players.  Mahomes is untouchable.  Literally everyone else is a cog in the wheel.

Not all of the players you cited were draft picks of KC and all were easily replaced.    I do agree that it has been free agency signings that have hurt the Bills the most cap-wise.  

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Underperforming isn't the right word for him. But I am confident saying he is not worth his cap hit this year. Not when legitimate upgrades at WR and DE can be had in free agency. But it would require Beane make a ruthless decision with a player that has done everything right since he got here. I don't know if he has it in him, unfortunately.

I love Morse.  I also love Hyde, Tre & Poyer.  But there just comes a time.

I think Beane has been a great GM to this point - but this is that time in a franchise's development that he has to make those tough decisions.  I'm really curious to see how it goes.  I think he might surprise us.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

Not all of the players you cited were draft picks of KC and all were easily replaced.

What does that even mean?  Kansas City’s good players are somehow easier to replace?

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

What does that even mean?  Kansas City’s good players are somehow easier to replace?

No.  It means that KC moved on from players that weren't worth hanging onto at high salaries and that were easily replaceable despite playing in a SB.  The argument has been that KC is somehow brilliant in their team management when in truth their core group that has kept them on top has been small:  Mahomes, Kelce, Jones, and I would for now add Butker.  Those players are the big difference makers.  Tyreek was...but he was demanding too much to keep, especially knowing they would need to pay those dollars to Jones.  So with the draft picks they got for Tyreek, they rebuilt their defense supplementing with players on one year deals.

By comparison, the Bills initially built through free agency...Hyde, Poyer, Philips, Settle, Morse, etc.  Some of those players have made a difference but now have gotten older and injured such that they no longer make a difference.   They did draft well in Allen, Tre, Milano, Dion, etc and added Diggs through free agency to help develop Josh.  Beane has switched to one year deals in free agency and now with ten draft picks, has to hit on the majority to lower the cap for the foreseeable future. 

Beane has not been perfect.  However he and McD have resurrected a team from the ashes and made them competitive in relatively short order.  KC had a good team in place before Mahomes got there.  They had a headstart on the Bills.  The Von Miller contract has set us back, but the silver lining is that it will force the Bills to rely on their draft class sooner rather than later.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/29/2024 at 8:37 PM, HappyDays said:

On 2/29/2024 at 8:42 PM, Success said:

I love Morse.  I also love Hyde, Tre & Poyer.  But there just comes a time.

I think Beane has been a great GM to this point - but this is that time in a franchise's development that he has to make those tough decisions.  I'm really curious to see how it goes.  I think he might surprise us.

I think Morse has More than Hyde or poyer left

As Jason Kelce has said a bunch... Physically, it's the easiest line position to play... Mentally it's the toughest

Morse is very smart... He has been banged up due to injuries... But he's athletically in the upper tier of centers

Look at some of his pulling as a center... A guard pulling like that would be amazing... He's doing it from the center position

He's definitely got a very good gift

Edited by Buffalo716

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think Morse has More than Hyde or poyer left

As Jason Kelce has said a bunch... Physically, it's the easiest line position to play... Mentally it's the toughest

Morse is very smart... He has been banged up due to injuries... But he's athletically in the upper tier of centers

Look at some of his pulling as a center... A guard pulling like that would be amazing... He's doing it from the center position

He's definitely got a very good gift

I do think Morse can still play, but I’m leaning towards agreeing with @HappyDays regarding his contract worth. 

Although athletic, you do see him starting to get beat up the gut by some of the more physically dominating DTs. He does not have the pure strength or size to withstand it (to be fair, not many at the position do). 

Throw in his injury history (concussions) and I am just not sure that the benefit you get from Morse would be worth the potential savings (8.5mil) you could get by using Bates at C and bringing in another player or two for that kind of money.