Bengals franchise tag Tee Higgins

Roundybout

13 minutes ago, Gigs said:

I would be to an extent; get mine but give a discount a la Milano or Brady. Everybody's different tho.

However, Tee and Chase have both said they want Justin Jefferson to get paid first and reset the market. Realistically they're only keeping Chase after next year. Boyd is a FA and the Bengals just committed 20mil guaranteed to Higgins. The Bengals also don't like guaranteed monies after year one of the contract, so that might cost them Chase as well. Lucky for them this year is like a double dose of the 96 draft lol (it even comes with a rookie Marvin Harrison!) But they better get it right and hope Mr Glass doesn't have one of his kidneys fail, or suffer some sort of anal prolapse or something out of left field lol.  That dude is one injury away from being Bad Luck Burrow. 

Brady offset his discounts with off the field sponsorships. Tee doesn’t have that. It’s not a great comparison at all.  I’d expect the bengals to trade him like the titans did with aj brown. Will they get a first? Maybe not but I’d say a very early second like the pats, commanders or even titans to pair up with their young qbs. Esp wash as they have two early seconds

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I really don't think so.

The Bengals whole claim to fame is having a QB like Burrow with not 1, but 2 true #1 WR's. It's what got them to the Super Bowl over Kansas City 3 years ago. 

If you've got the money to keep that together, and they do, you do that. Take care of the Left Tackle in the Draft, where they'll be picking higher than usual thanks to their lost season without Burrow.

At 74 Million under the cap this year, there's absolutely no reason they can't keep them both. Even if it's expensive. 

Mike Brown is cheap. 

EDIT: And relatively “poor” for an NFL owner. He’ll have to pony up all the guaranteed $$$ and stick it aside which is easier with deeper pockets. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Brady offset his discounts with off the field sponsorships. Tee doesn’t have that. It’s not a great comparison at all.  I’d expect the bengals to trade him like the titans did with aj brown. Will they get a first? Maybe not but I’d say a very early second like the pats, commanders or even titans to pair up with their young qbs. Esp wash as they have two early seconds

That's why I included Milano lol. But still, we're all wildly different people and we all would value ourselves and co tracts differently. That said, what we have is a player in Tee Higgins who does indeed want his big bag, and the Bengals are not a big bag kind of team. So yeah, I could see the Bengals using Tee as a bargaining chip to move up and get a new WR on a rookie deal, depending on how the dead cap looks (I'm assuming they'd be on the hook for the 20 since it's guaranteed, idk how it would or could look on the books). But the Bengals are notoriously cheap (worse than Ralph was) so all we can do is watch it play out. 

3 hours ago, Gigs said:

Glass Burrow better stay mostly healthy, because Tee is going to be a #1 somewhere else after the upcoming season. This dude is all about the bag and I'd be shocked but not entirely surprised if he doesn't get snippy over getting tagged and not super extended. 

Yeah … dude should play for vet minimum 

Looks like the Bengals are going to go all-in in 2024.  They can manipulate the cap to allow more FAs to fill the holes in their roster, and hope everyone stays healthy all year. 

They're in a tough division with 2.5 good teams (the Steelers showed they can beat anyone, just not very often, but the Ravens and Browns are both top-notch).  I don't blame the Bengals for being aggressive but with that competition, it's going to be a tough year to get a high playoff seed.  

Will he actually sign the franchise tag though?

The Bengals were always going to tag him

If I'm the Bengals with how deep the wr pool is in the draft this season I look to trade him and draft another wr in the first. Reset the rookie wage on you wr's with another high caliber wr 

13 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Looks like the Bengals are going to go all-in in 2024.  They can manipulate the cap to allow more FAs to fill the holes in their roster, and hope everyone stays healthy all year. 

They're in a tough division with 2.5 good teams (the Steelers showed they can beat anyone, just not very often, but the Ravens and Browns are both top-notch).  I don't blame the Bengals for being aggressive but with that competition, it's going to be a tough year to get a high playoff seed.  

They cannot and do not manipulate the cap because Mike Brown doesn't have the cash on hand to do that. They are a cash-to-the-cap team that has their own internal salary cap which remains the same as the NFL's cap keeps going up. My prediction is that they will play this year with over 20 million in available cap space. The Bengals are, from a financial standpoint, the drought-era BIlls who happened to hit on a QB and WR combo in the draft. 

• Disagree 1

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

As I said when we talked about this before, teams don't let important pieces of their roster go unless they don't have a choice.

That’s the argument I’m making when it comes to having cap space to sign UFAs.  

It matters but then again not really.   

If you don’t draft, develop, and retain you’re doomed anyway.  

You want your cap tied up in your own - Bills are over the cap oh no!   Yea that means we’re probably a really really good team that planned on retaining a lot of the guys we’ve drafted.  

Most importantly QB 1.

3 hours ago, Low Positive said:

They cannot and do not manipulate the cap because Mike Brown doesn't have the cash on hand to do that. They are a cash-to-the-cap team that has their own internal salary cap which remains the same as the NFL's cap keeps going up. My prediction is that they will play this year with over 20 million in available cap space. The Bengals are, from a financial standpoint, the drought-era BIlls who happened to hit on a QB and WR combo in the draft. 

Wow.  That is NO way to manage a team in today's NFL.  My kudos to the Bengals for succeeding under such a tremendous limitation, but it can't last forever.  One or two bad drafts, an injury or two, and they'll be back to scraping by.

16 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

He is so over rated…, hell  even Davis is ranked higher than this guy in FAs getting open thread, who would want such a loser, right? 

am I doing this right? 

Sounds about right, we got some true "The winners are actually losers" mentality going on here.  An excuse or smart ass comment about anything bad that happens to the Bills as if we are blind and dumb.  Just look at the cap space thread, you would think the Bills were the only ones to recieve it, or the Araiza thread on how the Bills somehow "won".  People trying to make excuses about it saying "their current punter is better" when they have no idea if thats true or not, and even if it is they save 4m cap space for another player. It's a lose lose for the Bills but the bootlickers come full force making excuses.  I guess that's what 0 trophies does to some fans.  Koombuyah I guess 

16 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

With the cap going way up and only expected to continue to climb going forward teams can afford this now 

I just read the cap increase thread, I thought the Bills were the only team that got it and had a clear advantage 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

He battled injuries all last season..,

I know, he has an annual history of ankle issues, although not certain if that was this past season as well, Davis that is, have no idea if Higgins was injured, 

10 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Right! Players should always 100% be about the money-it’s not their job to make things work within the cap. People who say they wouldn’t chase the money are lying to themselves. It’s such a weird world we live in where so many people bash the people who put the product on the field and protect the big time billionaire owners 

I never understood that either.  I'd rather see the players get a bigger share. It's not like the profits go to charity. They go in a billionaires pocket 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.