Chiefs-Bills trade that landed Kansas City Patrick Mahomes

Returntoglory

52 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Don’t forget that Mahomes may not be what he is now without being able to sit one year, inherit a perennial playoff team and having the best Offensive coach in the league since the start. It’s honestly amazing how good Josh is with how talent depleted that 2018 team was. 

Been telling people this for years now. Mahomes landed in the best situation possible compared to Josh. Yet everyone will tell you that Josh wouldn't have accomplished what Mahomes has if the roles were reversed.  

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

The teams that drafted 1-9 missed on Mahome, but didn’t give their pick to Andy Reid to draft him.

I promise, Bears fans still lament taking Trubisky that draft instead of Mahomes lol.

In essence they did when they failed to draft Mahomes. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand why some Bills fans enjoy the self-flagellation over the trade - very similar to the hand-wringing about not drafting Brady well after the fact. To each their own.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

In essence they did when they failed to draft Mahomes. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand why some Bills fans enjoy the self-flagellation over the trade - very similar to the hand-wringing about not drafting Brady well after the fact. To each their own.

A gun is on the ground.

I don’t pick it up.

you pick it up and give it to a criminal.

Who did worse?

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

KC won the trade. Best QB in football and moving up 17 slots in the first for the paltry sum of a late first rounder the following year. They have won 3 Superbowls and been to 6 AFCCG since the trade.

I’d trade our first round pick for the next 50 years for that kind of success. No brainer.

Josh Allen was a great consolation prize, but we were the architects of our own demise unfortunately.

May I ask how old you are (I'm not really seriously asking) that you are willing to trade 50 years of what I am envisioning that you are envisioning as 50 years of drought era football, lol

I'm wondering if you asked a 35-40 year old 49ers fan how they've enjoyed those early championships and they might feel a certain way about whoever wag back said they would mortgage the next 50 years if they could just win a few right now!

Edited by HardyBoy

8 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

May I ask how old you are (I'm not really seriously asking) that you are willing to trade 50 years of what I am envisioning that you are envisioning as 50 years of drought era football, lol

I'm wondering if you asked a 35-40 year old 49ers fan how they've enjoyed those early championships and they might feel a certain way about whoever wag back said they would mortgage the next 50 years if they could just win a few right now!

Losing first rounders isn’t the end of the world. 

The Bills have had their first round picks for the most of the last 50 years and we still don’t have a ring. So what difference would it make, besides having 3 and the best QB in football and an all time dynasty in football lore?

12 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yup - not interested in your line of questioning. I'm happy to hold my opinion - and equally happy for you to hold yours.

You won’t answer because you know the answer lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think a lot of people gloss over the fact that Mahomes waltzed right into an absolute perfect situation.   Andy Reid took over in 2013, since 2015, that team has made the playoffs every year.  That roster was stacked the second he walked on the field as a starter in 2018.  On the other hand, Josh Allen walked straight up into a rebuild that was only in it's second year and with a head coach with only one year under his belt.   People that think we would have won multiple Super Bowls or even just one because we draft Mahomes instead of trading that pick are delusional.

• Like (+1) 3

This is a recap of what is being referenced: 

According to a report in the newly-founded NFL newsletter Go Long with Tyler Dunne (subscribe), the team’s co-owner wanted to draft Mahomes with the No. 10 overall pick at the 2017 NFL Draft. Former team executives Doug Whaley and Jim Monos both backed that Pegula mentioned multiple times prior to the draft that he was very impressed with the Texas Tech QB.

Naturally it’s important to preface that the Bills are currently 7-3 and in the driver’s seat to win the AFC East with their 2018 first-round pick and starting quarterback Josh Allen. Everyone at One Bills Drive is happy with the way things currently sit.

But in the report, Whaley even reportedly told Pegula “This is your team,” prior to the 2017 draft, in an attempt to explain that he has the final say because it was widely-known by the Bills’ scouting staff that the owner loved what Mahomes could do.

However, it doesn’t take much more than an educated guess to see what happened in the end. Just prior to the 2017 draft, Sean McDermott was hired as head coach. He clearly did not want Mahomes at the No. 10 overall pick, so the Bills traded back with the Chiefs, took Tre’Davious White there, and eventually landed Allen with extra first-round picks via the Chiefs deal.

We all already knew McDermott was pulling the strings at the year’s draft because hours after it, the front office was cleaned out, including Whaley and Monos. A week-plus later, Brandon Beane was hired as general manager.

Again, we all lived happily ever after (or happier than a 17-year playoff drought).

But in an added twist, in 2017, the Bills still had hoped Mahomes would be there in a trade back to pick No. 27. Despite McDermott’s relationship with Chiefs head coach Andy Reid (their relationship was probably helpful in pre-draft trade discussions), the Bills were not sure what QB that Reid & Co. coveted with the No. 10 pick.

Could it be Deshaun Watson (who went No. 12)?

Nope, it was Mahomes, and now here we are.

31 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Been telling people this for years now. Mahomes landed in the best situation possible compared to Josh. Yet everyone will tell you that Josh wouldn't have accomplished what Mahomes has if the roles were reversed.  

I agree 100%  To put it in simple terms, If you only swapped the QBs with the Bills and Chiefs, I absolutely belive Josh Allen has multiple Superbowl wins with the Chiefs and Mahomes has 0 with the Bills now.  The qb has not been the issue we can't beat the Chiefs, its all the players and coaches around the QB, that is the difference

• Like (+1) 1

One of the crazier things is how the Chiefs managed to keep it secret. Veach was drooling over the guy for multiple years.

Andy Reid on Veach's love affair with Mahomes: 

Veach couldn’t emphasize enough that Mahomes was “special,” perhaps even transformational. “Right from the get-go — for about a year and a half,” Reid said. “When Brett gets something like that, he’s going to let you know.”

Alex Smith knew the Chiefs liked him more than two years before the 2017 draft:

"Patrick had just finished his freshman year at Texas Tech, and I can remember Brett Veach coming in - he wasn't the GM at the time, but he is now -  he was hugely responsible for the Chiefs ultimately taking Patrick and moving up. He was in love with Patrick after his freshman year. I remember him coming in, we had a great relationship, he would come into the QB room and say, 'You guys gotta see this guy. Yada, yada.' Because we would always talk ball. Veach had his eyes on him for a long time." 

The Chiefs were in contact with his reps every day for 3 months before the draft: 

Chris Cabott, who co-represents Mahomes with Leigh Steinberg and told Terez Paylor of Yahoo Sports that “for like 94 straight days” before the draft, they had communicated with Veach in “some way, shape or form.” 

At minimum, Alex Smith could have leaked to someone that the Chiefs wanted to draft his replacement. Instead, KC took Mahomes and Smith was traded to Washington a year later. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

Don’t forget that Mahomes may not be what he is now without being able to sit one year, inherit a perennial playoff team and having the best Offensive coach in the league since the start. It’s honestly amazing how good Josh is with how talent depleted that 2018 team was. 

Weren't the Bills a 9-7 playoff team the year before? With Tyrod Taylor at QB?

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

I think the more interesting conversation is if we stayed out, took someone else, and whether the saints snagged mahomes. 

I don’t think mahomes is a success had we taken him with that support (staff and roster) for multiple years before tooling up the offense 

4 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

The Chiefs won 53 games in the 5 seasons prior to Mahomes starting (the early Andy Reid Era). Mahomes was throwing to Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce in 2018

The Bills did make the playoffs in 2017 with a -56 point differential (good for 22nd out of 32 teams). Josh was throwing to Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones and Robert Foster.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Oh great, another LAMP post about ancient history from someone who almost never posts here.

Classic hit-and-run poster too. Doesn't even respond to any other posters. :death:

Edited by Mark Vader

15 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

We get it.  KC's success is 100% due to Mahomes, not just the greatest QB in history, or the greatest athlete of all time, but one of the most amazing people to ever live on the planet Earth.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.