Chiefs-Bills trade that landed Kansas City Patrick Mahomes

Returntoglory

Who won the trade?

The Chiefs traded up in the first round in the 2017 draft with the Bills and selected Patrick Mahomes, forever changing the franchise and a city for the next decade. 

Kansas City, which originally had the No. 27 overall pick in that 2017 draft, traded three picks to Buffalo to move up to No. 10 and select Mahomes. 

So what did the Bills get with the Chiefs' picks? Here's a look at the trade and the players who transpired from the deal:

The trade doesn't seem like equal value for Mahomes, but Bills general manager Brandon Beane did some excellent maneuvering to build a Super Bowl-caliber roster with those picks. Buffalo selected Tre'Davious White with that No. 27 overall pick in 2017, and White has become one of the elite cornerbacks in the game with two Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections in his five seasons. Opposing quarterbacks have a career passer rating of just 46.2 targeting White, who has 16 interceptions to just nine touchdowns allowed. 

2017 third-round pick (No. 91 overall): Buffalo packaged the pick in a draft trade with the Los Angeles Rams. The Bills traded their 2017 second-round pick (No. 44 overall) and 2017 third-round pick (No. 91 overall) in exchange for the Rams' 2017 second-round pick (No. 37 overall, wide receiver Zay Jones) and a 2017 fifth-round pick (No. 149 overall).

2017 fifth-round pick (No. 149 overall): The Bills packaged that pick with a 2017 third-round pick (No. 75 overall) and a 2017 fifth-round pick (No. 156 overall) to the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for a 2017 second-round pick (No. 63 overall). Buffalo selected offensive tackle Dion Dawkins with the No. 63 pick. 

2018 first-round pick (No. 22 overall): The Bills moved up in the draft, parting ways with the 2018 first-round pick and a 2018 third-round pick (No. 65 overall) to the Baltimore Ravens for a 2018 first-round pick (No. 16 overall) and a 2018 fifth-round pick (No. 154 overall). The Bills selected linebacker Tremaine Edmunds with the pick.

2018 fifth-round pick (No. 154 overall): The Bills used this selection on cornerback Siran Neal.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Mahomes is so much better than Allen on the field, it’s so obvious KC fleeced the Bills.

Allen looks like a JV QB when he plays mahomes.

sucks to be us.

ok, I needed to edit this post to make it clear this was satire.

Edited by julian
  • Vomit 8
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

I wouldn't trade Josh Allen for anything.  Keep Mahomes' wife and brother the hell away from this team.  

People used to ask if I would trade for Brady or the Hoodie for one ring, and I said no.  Same answer with Mahomes.

Also, absolutely no one could have predicted Mahomes was going to have the career he's had.  He fell to 10 for a reason.  Yes, some people thought he had potential, but at the time, no one was harping on the Bills for that trade

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Kansas City won the trade. Without question. They drafted the best QB in football. 

But the Bills did about as good a job losing a trade as you could ever do. An all pro corner and then a pick that helped them land the 2nd best QB in football the following year.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I wouldn't trade Josh Allen for anything.  Keep Mahomes' wife and brother the hell away from this team.  

People used to ask if I would trade for Brady or the Hoodie for one ring, and I said no.  Same answer with Mahomes.

Also, absolutely no one could have predicted Mahomes was going to have the career he's had.  He fell to 10 for a reason.  Yes, some people thought he had potential, but at the time, no one was harping on the Bills for that trade

I wouldn’t even say he “fell” to 10. Most of the pre draft rankings had him as a late 1st-2nd round prospect. Technically he shouldn’t have even gone ahead of Deshaun Watson.
When the Bills made the trade with KC, the Bills braintrust figured it was for Watson, Terry thought he could still get Mahomes at the back of round 1. He actually wanted to take him at 10, but McD hadn’t scouted QBs so he wanted to wait. Whaley was on record as saying “it’s your team, Mr Pegula, you can do whatever you want.” Pegula sided with his new coach, McDermott, and the rest is history. 

• Agree 1

KC won the trade. Best QB in football and moving up 17 slots in the first for the paltry sum of a late first rounder the following year. They have won 3 Superbowls and been to 6 AFCCG since the trade.

I’d trade our first round pick for the next 50 years for that kind of success. No brainer.

Josh Allen was a great consolation prize, but we were the architects of our own demise unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I wouldn’t even say he “fell” to 10. Most of the pre draft rankings had him as a late 1st-2nd round prospect. Technically he shouldn’t have even gone ahead of Deshaun Watson.
When the Bills made the trade with KC, the Bills braintrust figured it was for Watson, Terry thought he could still get Mahomes at the back of round 1. He actually wanted to take him at 10, but McD hadn’t scouted QBs so he wanted to wait. Whaley was on record as saying “it’s your team, Mr Pegula, you can do whatever you want.” Pegula sided with his new coach, McDermott, and the rest is history. 

And if that is the case, not saying you are wrong, that gives even more forgiveness to the McD.  I will never care what the owner wants, same as fans.  We have no idea what we are talking about.  If he was projected that late, no one can blame the Bills for passing.  

Now if you want to argue what to draft first, the trenches and support roles or the QB, sure.  But I agree with how McD did it.  Technically, the Chiefs did the same thing because they let Mahomes sit the entire first year

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Brand J said:

More like, Whaley was on record saying, “I got you your coffee just the way you like it Mr. Pegula.”

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Don’t forget that Mahomes may not be what he is now without being able to sit one year, inherit a perennial playoff team and having the best Offensive coach in the league since the start. It’s honestly amazing how good Josh is with how talent depleted that 2018 team was. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Where did you get this info from?

• Agree 1

If JA17 never wins a superbowl in Buffalo this will go down as the worst trade in NFL (and quite frankly pro sports) history. Sean McDivisional will also be the most hated figure in Buffalo sports history as well.

I still can't fathom how you make this trade with the guy who fired you in the first place especially after 17 long years of misery and a guy like this falls right into Buffalo's lap. It was destiny, fate and every other cliche you can look for.

The Chiefs should have been us period. And now we get to watch them play for and win many more superbowls in the years to come.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 3

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

If JA17 never wins a superbowl in Buffalo this will go down as the worst trade in NFL (and quite frankly pro sports) history. Sean McDivisional will also be the most hated figure in Buffalo sports history as well.

I still can't fathom how you make this trade with the guy who fired you in the first place especially after 17 long years of misery and a guy like this falls right into Buffalo's lap. It was destiny, fate and every other cliche you can look for.

The Chiefs should have been us period. And now we get to watch them play for and win many more superbowls in the years to come.

The Chiefs' SB success goes pretty well beyond Mahomes.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yeah… what a complete donkey show at OBD, people need to be fired. WHY ????? WHY ????? , it should be us, not them. This sucks

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Where did you get this info from?

12 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Made that S&$@ up. 

I don’t make anything up, just passing along what I read. The article is out there if you want to dig for it, the source was Jim Monos. 

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

I don’t make anything up, just passing along what I read. The article is out there if you want to dig for it, the source was Jim Monos. 

Axe to grind Jimmy writing articles with Ty Dunne in 2024 about how they were the ones that were on board with drafting Mahomes 7 years prior before they both got shown the door.

lmao.

34 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Wasn’t there a poster named… Jeff? Or something like that. He was absolutely pounding the table to draft Mahomes and was very distraught when the Bills traded the pick away and the Chefs took ‘em instead. I don’t recall seeing many posts from him in the years since.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Disagree. The only two organizations with regrets are Chicago and SF. Chicago for taking Trubiski. While Kyle Shanahan, alleged qb guru, couldn’t even identified talent. Imagine if he had taken Mahomes there. SF would be KC.

3 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

Wasn’t there a poster named… Jeff? Or something like that. He was absolutely pounding the table to draft Mahomes and was very distraught when the Bills traded the pick away and the Chefs took ‘em instead. I don’t recall seeing many posts from him in the years since.

He got banned for crusading which is really funny that he ended up right. Name was @jeffismagic

Edited by FireChans
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Axe to grind Jimmy writing articles with Ty Dunne in 2024 about how they were the ones that were on board with drafting Mahomes 7 years prior before they both got shown the door.

lmao.

So you read the same story. It could all be BS, but I don’t see what he would’ve stood to gain from lying. Also, when everyone was bashing McD, he came to his defense and said he was a great person. That they all worked very well together the short time during the draft but understood that McD wanted to bring in his own GM. Jim didn’t seem to harbor any resentment towards him.

Edited by Brand J

5 minutes ago, Brand J said:

So you read the same story. It could all be BS, but I don’t see what he would’ve stood to gain from lying. Also, when everyone else was bashing McD, he came to his defense and said his was a great person. That they all worked very well together the short time during the draft but understood that McD wanted to bring in his own GM. Jim didn’t seem to harbor any resentment towards him.

I didn’t read it because I don’t support Ty Dunne’s hackfest attempts at tearing down the Bills because he was slighted by them for not being a real journalist and being buddies with two other dudes McD sent packing.

I honestly respect their game of being professional haters, but anything they say should be taken with a boulder of salt. Like writing an article about how they were on board with drafting Mahomes over Allen 7 years after the fact. 

They write that article prior to 2018, or hell in 2020 or 2021, I get it. To write it NOW, when the gap has been the farthest since 2018? Trash, imo.

Edited by FireChans

23 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

True but he's still the main reason it's happened.

Andy Reid, Chris Jones, Kelce, etc are just along for the ride, albeit important passengers.

Every team in the league had the chance to hire Reid and draft Mahomes and didn't.  How is it on the Bills specifically?

11 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

I couldn't remember his name either, but I remember what you're talking about.  That might be the only person who can say "I told you so."  

I was very against Mahomes, or anyone else who played in that spread offense style.  Any QB prior who came from that system failed horribly in the NFL.  Similar to Stroud, I I wouldn't have taken an Ohio State QB due to their history of bombing at the NFL level.  

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Who won the trade?

The Chiefs traded up in the first round in the 2017 draft with the Bills and selected Patrick Mahomes, forever changing the franchise and a city for the next decade. 

Kansas City, which originally had the No. 27 overall pick in that 2017 draft, traded three picks to Buffalo to move up to No. 10 and select Mahomes. 

So what did the Bills get with the Chiefs' picks? Here's a look at the trade and the players who transpired from the deal:

The trade doesn't seem like equal value for Mahomes, but Bills general manager Brandon Beane did some excellent maneuvering to build a Super Bowl-caliber roster with those picks. Buffalo selected Tre'Davious White with that No. 27 overall pick in 2017, and White has become one of the elite cornerbacks in the game with two Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections in his five seasons. Opposing quarterbacks have a career passer rating of just 46.2 targeting White, who has 16 interceptions to just nine touchdowns allowed. 

2017 third-round pick (No. 91 overall): Buffalo packaged the pick in a draft trade with the Los Angeles Rams. The Bills traded their 2017 second-round pick (No. 44 overall) and 2017 third-round pick (No. 91 overall) in exchange for the Rams' 2017 second-round pick (No. 37 overall, wide receiver Zay Jones) and a 2017 fifth-round pick (No. 149 overall).

2017 fifth-round pick (No. 149 overall): The Bills packaged that pick with a 2017 third-round pick (No. 75 overall) and a 2017 fifth-round pick (No. 156 overall) to the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for a 2017 second-round pick (No. 63 overall). Buffalo selected offensive tackle Dion Dawkins with the No. 63 pick. 

2018 first-round pick (No. 22 overall): The Bills moved up in the draft, parting ways with the 2018 first-round pick and a 2018 third-round pick (No. 65 overall) to the Baltimore Ravens for a 2018 first-round pick (No. 16 overall) and a 2018 fifth-round pick (No. 154 overall). The Bills selected linebacker Tremaine Edmunds with the pick.

2018 fifth-round pick (No. 154 overall): The Bills used this selection on cornerback Siran Neal.

The Bills win that trade if Tre hadn't had all the injuries.  Everyone forgets, that Mahomes has never beaten us, KC has.  

17 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Chiefs won the trade in the same way if they would've traded their Tesla stock for Apple stock to the Bills in 2000.  Both made out well but the Chiefs made out slightly better.

Chiefs won that trade in hindsight.  Same as the Pats won the draft they took Brady in hindsight.  

It drives me nuts when people want to play the "what if" game, when in the moment, no one had strong opinions on it.  

I'm not coming at you Doc, you were just the first post I looked at because you're so damn sexy

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Every team in the league had the chance to hire Reid and draft Mahomes and didn't.  How is it on the Bills specifically?

I couldn't remember his name either, but I remember what you're talking about.  That might be the only person who can say "I told you so."  

I was very against Mahomes, or anyone else who played in that spread offense style.  Any QB prior who came from that system failed horribly in the NFL.  Similar to Stroud, I I wouldn't have taken an Ohio State QB due to their history of bombing at the NFL level.  

We gave Reid Mahomes. 

If the Chiefs traded in front of the Bills and drafted Mahomes, this would all be moot.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I didn’t read it because I don’t support Ty Dunne’s hackfest attempts at tearing down the Bills because he was slighted by them for not being an real journalist and being buddies with two other dudes McD sent packing.

I honestly respect their game of being professional haters, but anything they say should be taken with a boulder of salt. Like writing an article about how they were on board with drafting Mahomes over Allen 7 years after the fact. 

They write that article prior to 2018, or hell in 2020 or 2021, I get it. To write it NOW, when the gap has been the farthest since 2018? Trash, imo.

Oh, this wasn’t in the McD “hit piece.” The talk with Jim Monos happened awhile before that article came out. I didn’t read the McD story either, because a) I didn’t want to pay for it and b) whatever feelings I had because of what I read, it wouldn’t make a difference because Sean is still our HC. I’m not eager to see him in a negative light because it lessens my hope for the team.

EDIT to say: Dunne talked with Jim again after the piece came out and that’s when Jim was defending McD’s character.

Edited by Brand J

Just now, Brand J said:

Oh, this wasn’t in the McD “hit piece.” The talk with Jim Monos happened awhile before that article came out. I didn’t read the McD story either, because a) I didn’t want to pay for it and b) whatever feelings I had because of what I read, it wouldn’t make a difference because Sean is still our HC. I’m not eager to see him in a negative light because it lessens my hope for the team.

There’s a separate article posted 1/17/2024 about Mahomes/Allen unless there’s another article.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

There’s a separate article posted 1/17/2024 about Mahomes/Allen unless there’s another article.

Let me see if I can find what I’m referencing…

EDIT: the original story about Mahomes and Terry’s infatuation with him was actually a podcast with Monos from Dec of 2020. I tried to click on it but now it wants me to sign in. 

Edited by Brand J
  • Like (+1) 1

Both teams won the trade.  Buffalo likely would have drafted Lattimore otherwise, and they wouldn’t have added the draft capital that gave them the flexibility to trade up for Josh.  If there has to be a loser in the deal, it was the rest of the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We gave Reid Mahomes. 

If the Chiefs traded in front of the Bills and drafted Mahomes, this would all be moot.

What about the teams that drafted 1-9? 

BTW, nice memory wrt @jeffismagic I seem to recall a few other people lobbying for Mahomes and the debate swirling around the Air Raid offense and whether it would translate to the NFL. We'll always be linked to Mahomes due to the trade out of 10 - but that's hindsight. If his greatness was so obvious he never would have made it to 10 - let alone past Mitch Trubisky. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Yeah that Mike Leach spread offense and the long list of Texas Tech QBs who had never gone on to do anything in the league was one of the knocks against Mahomes. My sister was a trainer with the team and kept telling me “the Bills have to draft Mahomes. He’s different.” I asked her what made him so different from all the other guys that put up huge numbers in that offense? She said she didn’t know exactly, but could tell he wasn’t like the others. I didn’t believe her 😅

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

What about the teams that drafted 1-9? 

BTW, nice memory wrt @jeffismagic I seem to recall a few other people lobbying for Mahomes and the debate swirling around the Air Raid offense and whether it would translate to the NFL. We'll always be linked to Mahomes due to the trade out of 10 - but that's hindsight. If his greatness was so obvious he never would have made it to 10 - let alone past Mitch Trubisky. 

The teams that drafted 1-9 missed on Mahome, but didn’t give their pick to Andy Reid to draft him.

I promise, Bears fans still lament taking Trubisky that draft instead of Mahomes lol.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.