Bills windows with Josh

JAX

3 hours ago, JAX said:

We should have a few 3-5 year windows with Josh.  Window 1 is likely done with several key players finished or close to finished.  Thanks to them for a great run. If i am the Bills I consider a fairly hard reset even if a  less competitive for a year or two.  Why?  The only satisfying outcome at this point is a Super Bowl win and many teams are on the rise. We need to take a bit of medicine and get younger, cheaper and more explosive. 

I think Beane has done a great job and rolled the dice with Von and others and we had our chances with great rosters but 13 seconds and injuries left us short (not to mention the Chiefs).   We now have the challenge of re-tooling for window 2.  The O line is solid if we can keep Brown but we need 2 WRs (I do not  think Diggs is part of the next window).  Knox is a nice player but too expensive (maybe re-contract or trade).  We need to build around Josh strengths and not ask him to be something he is not. The D needs a rebuild with the exception of LB and maybe corner for at least a couple of years.  We do need a good D, a great passing game is not enough.

I think the Bills and many of the fans probably see the situation in a similar way.  I am interested to watch how aggressive  they are or do they make necessary incremental moves trying to go year to year hoping Josh can pull them over the hump with super star play.  I am over the loss and excited for the off-season although the cap problem is a drag.  My expectations as a fan with Josh are high so it is hard for them to meet them.

I agree, we have something around a decade plus left of “windows”  with Allen at the helm, I think we will all be pleasantly surprised with how good the roster is set up going into training camp, 😁👍

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the discussion!  Let me try to clarify my post a bit.  I am not doom and gloom at all and believe the Bills can stay good.  The "window" I referenced was not the organizational or Josh window (hopefully 10 years) but the "roster window".  Several of our long time core guys are finishing up so we need our next roster window.  For example, I think the Chiefs roster only has a handful of guys left from their first Super Bowl.  They added a lot of youth and a few key FAs and continue to roll with a bright future including a good young D (of course they have FAs and future cap issues as well).

We need much more than a good WR which is not guaranteed (we need to find that guy late in the first round or in the second).  We have key gaps on what has been a good D (safety and D line).  I have confidence in the front office.  The question is what approach do they take and how aggressive the plan is to retool over say 2 off-seasons.  The strategy should drive the tactical decisions on each player, FA and the draft.  Of course we can not do much in FA this year and maybe longer if we do not create cap space over time.

Not easy to move on from Von, Trey, Diggs, Knox, Poyer etc.  But we need to at some point soon.

Go Bills!

I agree with Shaw66. The term 'window' gets used alot but I don't find it to have much meaning. 

The only two times I'd say a window was "closed" is probably the Rams after they won the SB and had to reckon with pushing all the chips for that year.

And maybe the Buccaneers when they got old after Brady won them a ring. 

Otherwise seasons are a more apt way to think about it. 

Saying a window is closed is says there is absolutely no chance of that team winning a SB. The NFL is very hard to take an absolutist stance on because all sorts of random things happen within a SEASON. 

3 hours ago, JAX said:

We should have a few 3-5 year windows with Josh.  Window 1 is likely done with several key players finished or close to finished.  Thanks to them for a great run. If i am the Bills I consider a fairly hard reset even if a  less competitive for a year or two.  Why?  The only satisfying outcome at this point is a Super Bowl win and many teams are on the rise. We need to take a bit of medicine and get younger, cheaper and more explosive. 

I think Beane has done a great job and rolled the dice with Von and others and we had our chances with great rosters but 13 seconds and injuries left us short (not to mention the Chiefs).   We now have the challenge of re-tooling for window 2.  The O line is solid if we can keep Brown but we need 2 WRs (I do not  think Diggs is part of the next window).  Knox is a nice player but too expensive (maybe re-contract or trade).  We need to build around Josh strengths and not ask him to be something he is not. The D needs a rebuild with the exception of LB and maybe corner for at least a couple of years.  We do need a good D, a great passing game is not enough.

I think the Bills and many of the fans probably see the situation in a similar way.  I am interested to watch how aggressive  they are or do they make necessary incremental moves trying to go year to year hoping Josh can pull them over the hump with super star play.  I am over the loss and excited for the off-season although the cap problem is a drag.  My expectations as a fan with Josh are high so it is hard for them to meet them.

The window's open as long as JA is QB1

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pasaluki said:

I agree with Shaw66. The term 'window' gets used alot but I don't find it to have much meaning. 

Josh Allen is the window......when you have an elite QB, the window is always open 

The "window" stuff is nonsense.

The notion first came about when the locked-in, standard rookie contract amounts came into play. 

The idea is that if a team hits on a QB in the draft, said team is able to take advantage of that QB's cheap rookie contract by using the money they save to build up the team around him. Theoretically, once the QB signs an extension and his yearly cap hit becomes expensive, the team can no longer afford to spend elsewhere, the roster falls apart, and the team has a hard time winning.

The Seahawks are the first example of this phenomenon, which forever thereafter seems to have locked it into people's minds as an actual, viable thing that exists. 

Meanwhile, roster building and contract structures have evolved, and salary cap dollars are always movable, and an expensive QB contract is no longer the death knell that people make it out to be.

People can continue to talk in hushed tones about "the window" and can breathlessly debate whether it has closed. Here's what I think: If you have an elite quarterback and a good GM and a good coach, your "window" doesn't close. Your "window" is open for as long as your quarterback is elite and your good GM and good coach are in place.

"The Window" is nonsense. The Bills will continue to be playoff contenders and have a shot at a Lombardi for as long as #17 is healthy and playing well. Josh Allen IS the window.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Really hate the doom and gloom window is closed BS.  Is there a Bills FA you would cry over losing in free agency? Maybe D. Jones. Who else?  How successful have the Bills been in signing impact FA’s?  After 2024 we can dump Diggs and Miller if that is the right play.  Chiefs are under the cap but Chris Jones, Sneed and Gay are FA’s either they sign these guys and there goes their cap or they try to win a SB without one or all of them.  Personally, I believe no Chris Jones, no SB for the Chiefs.

Jones is a major piece of KC’s roster. He’ll be re-signed for sure. They will let Gay and Sneed walk. What KC does well is drafting and developing DBs and LBs. 

29 minutes ago, JAX said:

Thanks for the discussion!  Let me try to clarify my post a bit.  I am not doom and gloom at all and believe the Bills can stay good.  The "window" I referenced was not the organizational or Josh window (hopefully 10 years) but the "roster window".  Several of our long time core guys are finishing up so we need our next roster window.  For example, I think the Chiefs roster only has a handful of guys left from their first Super Bowl.  They added a lot of youth and a few key FAs and continue to roll with a bright future including a good young D (of course they have FAs and future cap issues as well).

We need much more than a good WR which is not guaranteed (we need to find that guy late in the first round or in the second).  We have key gaps on what has been a good D (safety and D line).  I have confidence in the front office.  The question is what approach do they take and how aggressive the plan is to retool over say 2 off-seasons.  The strategy should drive the tactical decisions on each player, FA and the draft.  Of course we can not do much in FA this year and maybe longer if we do not create cap space over time.

Not easy to move on from Von, Trey, Diggs, Knox, Poyer etc.  But we need to at some point soon.

Go Bills!

They have got 18 of their 22 starters under contract for 2024  ( 19 if you include Miller)…

The other ones missing are Davis, Hyde and DQJ….

Yes there is work to be done, and Beane needs to have a good offseason … the DL and Safety positions need to be reworked to the same extent he did last year with the OL…

But they still have a lot of good pieces in place, and I’d be expecting them once again to be the heavyweights of the division and knocking on the 1 seeds door for 2024 …

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

There are no windows.  There just are seasons.  Every season is an opportunity to win the Super Bowl when you have a great QB.  

Before we talk any more about windows, I invite someone to analyze the seasons when Tom Brady was the QB for the Patriots and explain when their first window opened and closed, their second window opened and closed, etc.  Belichick went 5-11 in his first season there; after that, he didn't have a losing season with Brady, and he had only one season when he didn't have double-digit wins.   Their window was always open. 

How about the Chiefs?   They've had plenty of roster turnover.  When was the window closed?    

When you have the right HC/QB combination your argument is 100% valid, it's why the Patriots did what they did the greater part of 20 years in this league and why the Chiefs are likely going to replicate or exceed that in the next 10-15 years albeit with some caveats I'll touch on shortly.

With Brady and the Patriots It's worth noting though that after their 3rd superbowl in 2004 they went a decade without winning another one despite having that super team in 2007 that was a fluke play away from going undefeated and winning another one. Then the following year Brady got hurt in week one and they missed the playoffs the only time during that regime despite going 11-5 that year with a backup. By the time Patriots starting winning championships again in 2014 they had a new core group of guys including Gronk who is only rivaled by Kelce as the greatest TE in NFL history.

The Chiefs are in a similar boat and trajectory right now but obviously Mahomes is going to be playing with a different head coach at some point down the road and will have to find a new set of core guys post Chris Jones, Kelce, etc. And even if the believe that Mahomes is the GOAT and it's a formality he exceeds Brady's resume, so much can change in the coming years including but not limited to a freak injury derailing things, losing interest/passion, retiring early, etc.

But getting back to the Bills, this team obviously has the right QB but not the right head coach and why the next window does apply here and likely won't be open until the next head coach arrives here, assuming that day comes and it's the right guy to begin with.

Good News: 

The Bills championship window will remain open as long as Josh Allen can play at an elite level, and Brandon Beane can put a good roster around him.

I have very few doubts this team will be among the top contenders again next season, if they can stay healthy at the key spots.  The worries about this year's salary cap are totally overblown.  I actually think the Bills are in better financial shape than even last offseason.  There are some common-sense restructures (Allen, Rasul Douglas, Taron Johnson) and cuts that will clear space.  I'm sad to say goodbye to Tre White, but we will be fine without him.  Same with Jordan Poyer/Micah Hyde, who really showed their age this season.  If we can bring back DaQuan Jones and either Leonard Floyd/AJ Epenesa, the D-Line will be fine.  

The big need is WR and this draft is loaded in that area.  After that, we likely need a pair of safeties.  But good ones can be found on Day 2 of the draft, and in the bargain-bin of free agency.  No team is better at coaching up the secondary.  The rest of the draft will be for getting younger and looking towards the future.  Every other position is in good shape.  No need for a reset/reboot.

Bad news: 

Allen probably isn't an elite QB when he isn't using his legs.  The Bills tried this year to take that away from his game, almost certainly in an attempt to extend his future career.  The offense was terribly inconsistent, and it almost cost us the playoffs.  When he started running again, the team went on a win-streak and claimed the division.

When will age catch-up with our quarterback is anyone's guess.  But that is the main reason I feel a sense of urgency.  Not because of free agency or the salary cap.

If team and Josh can't win Super Bowl in the next 5 years. I  wonder if it will ever happen and worry about his longevity playing the style he does. I have hard time envisioning him being effective in his mid 30s.

With Mahomes there is similar concern as he uses his athleticism to generate some amazing plays but not as high as Josh as he is willing to take the easy plays and allow his receivers to do their part.

Edited by billieve420

23 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

As long as McDummy is the head coach, the window is closed.

Exactly. Fans have trouble wrapping their head around this fact. McDs legacy will be ruining Joshs career. Pretty Billsy 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

If we have lesser talent - but they're healthier when we get into the playoffs, we'll have as good or better of a shot as we did this past season.

And here's the thing:  we'll have a chance at that every season w/ Josh.  There will be some years we'll have a SB caliber roster, but then some seasons we're not quite there - but if in those seasons, we stay relatively healthy, it works out about the same.

Allen keeps us in every game, no matter who is playing w/ him.  We'll have a chance for a title every year we have him, just like the Pats did w/ Brady, and KC does w/ Mahomes.  Even Peyton Manning's teams had that, though he didn't cash in as much.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

As long as McDummy is the head coach, the window is closed.

Had a good laugh because I just gave a thumbs up to it always being open but I find this statement true also. I’m so confused right now

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JAX said:

Even though we're entering a rebuild doesn't mean we can't challenge for the Superbowl. The question is will McBeane make the proper evaluations when it comes to player personnel & schemes? Can they truly make the tough decisions that this franchise desperately needs.

Which means they need to move away from there reliance on older vets that haven't helped us get over the hump when they were younger better players. Morse, Poyer and DaQuan should not be brought back not because they have nothing to offer because they can still all play but because they won't help us in the future.

The Bills have an opportunity to fix there cap space and get younger more hungry players and the question they need to ask about some of these vets is can they help us moving forward will they be here in 3-4 yrs if the answer is no then it's time to move on. Some of these vet players like Diggs & Von or even Knox we have to wait it out a yr till we can get them out of here because there cap hits will do more damage if released or traded now then it would be next season.  

I'm already hearing that the schemes on defense with Babich in control will change to a degree . The hirings we made to the secondary  are coaches that specialize in more man schemes and I heard on Cover 1 podcast that Babich can possibly be adding a hybrid element to this defense. I really hope this happens because we need it our schemes are getting tiresome and we need something new to use against the Bengals and Chiefs who seem to know exactly how to attack Mcd defense especially Andy Reid . 

The Bills need to truly embrace there new young coaches Brady and Babich can possibly be huge in us making a quick turnaround. There's no better time then now because with the cap constraints we will have to change personal on offense and especially on defense let thesec young coaches influence our future i think this is our best bet.