Multiple people shot at KC parade.

fasteddie

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

people across all neighborhoods, demographics and disagreeing camps coming together in a crowd. 

$5 says it’s not a random fight but two guys with ugly history and not enough sense to skip acting on it in a crowd.

I was wondering if it might be gang related.  No info.  Just a guess.

4 hours ago, Billl said:

We just have to make sure not to go crazy and actually do anything to prevent it from ever happening again.  

I mean, unless there were absolutely ZERO guns in all of the United States (impossible at this point), then preventing it from "ever happening again" is impossible at an outside event like this, where hundreds of thousands of people are there. Sadly, bad and/or mentally ill people are pretty much everywhere, and no one knows for sure when one of these people will strike.

Just now, juno999 said:

I was wondering if it might be gang related.  No info.  Just a guess.

Honestly it’s wild speculation but in the realm of “the whole city descended on one event” outcomes- that two groups like that ran into each other and things went sideways is relatively common. 

It feels like it should be unifying but there’s often folks that otherwise wouldn’t/shouldn’t see each other that suddenly are in the same space unexpectedly 

2 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I mean, unless there were absolutely ZERO guns in all of the United States (impossible at this point), then preventing it from "ever happening again" is impossible at an outside event like this, where hundreds of thousands of people are there. Sadly, bad and/or mentally ill people are pretty much everywhere, and no one knows for sure when one of these people will strike.

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819576527

On a side note, I watched the parade from the parking lot of Bob Jones shoes in Kansas City.

30 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Part of the reason why, is that it's contagious.  The more mass shootings that happen and the more they're publicized, makes it more likely to put the idea in the head of the next maniac.    If  there was no incidence or news of mass shootings in the USA for the next 10 years, the chances of one happening in year 11 would be a lot less than it happening next week, while news is fresh.  Ex.  Columbine helped lead to many more school shootings. 

Also firearm technology has improved over the years, which is a factor in making the incidents more deadly

It's likely a combination of factors including mental illness, availability of firearms, social media, feelings of persecution or wanting to belong, revenge, no perception of the consequences, lack of respect for the sanctity of human life, politicization, etc. No easy solution.

More gun control is not to be taken seriously when it’s championed by those that vote for politicians who don’t enforce existing laws. 

What they advocate for is more gun control for mothers and fathers that want to protect their family. 

We have a society in decline and we are awash in guns.

Gun violence is a symptom of the deeper cause.  But no one wants to dig deeper because that would require actual introspection as a society and we’re conditioned to fix everything with band-aids. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

55 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m simply asking people to settle down and at least respect the seriousness of the situation for let’s say 24 hours before you and others start debating the Second Amendment. Does that not sound reasonable? Feel free to respond with the F Bomb….again. 

Settle down man. 

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

More gun control is not to be taken seriously when it’s championed by those that vote for politicians who don’t enforce existing laws. 

What they advocate for is more gun control for mothers and fathers that want to protect their family. 

We have a society in decline and we are awash in guns.

Gun violence is a symptom of the deeper cause.  But no one wants to dig deeper because that would require actual introspection as a society and we’re conditioned to fix everything with band-aids. 

Sensible gun laws would take guns away from moms and dads?   What I don’t get in this country is just because the party you vote for has some idiotic policies the other side defends their idiotic policies. Making the entire country idiotic. 

@stevens273 you seem to dislike lots on here.  Share w us your wisdom. 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Take the number of death by gun. Remove suicide. The rate drops significantly. Take the amount of crime commited with legally obtained guns. You can break it down even further but it's an ugly wormhole to show all of the problems with the simple "gun culture" argument. 

And... Folks wonder why no one takes arguments about this seriously. A legitimate question was asked and is often asked without a reasonable response.

Why do you think we have so much more gun violence in this country compared to almost every other developed nation?

And why remove suicide? You don't see that as a tragedy for the family ? 

18 minutes ago, Billl said:

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819576527

On a side note, I watched the parade from the parking lot of Bob Jones shoes in Kansas City.

The story at that link from 10 years ago is supposedly satire, but it is actually straight out truth. With as many guns as we now have in this country, there's absolutely no way to take them all away from everybody. Plus, ya know, it's actually a right (#2 in the Bill of Rights) to own a gun, granted to all of us by our Constitution.

And we already have pretty good "gun laws" all over this land too, and ironically, in cities with very strict gun laws (like Chicago), it doesn’t deter criminals from using guns, at all.

So again, at an OUTSIDE event, spread over a large, non-contained area, with hundreds of thousands of people there, it is absolutely impossible to prevent something like this, unless there were no guns in this country. But then, I'm sure if some nutcase really wanted to hurt people, he would just use a knife, or a vehicle (WI parade), or some other weapon.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Sensible gun laws would take guns away from moms and dads?   What I don’t get in this country is just because the party you vote for has some idiotic policies the other side defends their idiotic policies. Making the entire country idiotic. 

We have sensible gun laws.  They’re not enforced.  

Criminals illegally obtain guns.. shocking, I know. 

For those that legally do … Precursors to violent behavior that would flag gun purchases don’t arise when politicians don’t enforce basic laws.  

Mental health & SSRI’s are not a conversation we, as a nation, want to have right now. 

Therefore, in a country awash in guns, we have a gun violence epidemic.  

Let’s see who these suspects are, and what their criminal records may be.  Let’s see if they obtained these guns legally or illegally.   Because in most of these cases, new laws wouldn’t have stopped it… especially when the gun control advocates keep voting for people who don’t enforce laws to begin with. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m simply asking people to settle down and at least respect the seriousness of the situation for let’s say 24 hours before you and others start debating the Second Amendment. Does that not sound reasonable? Feel free to respond with the F Bomb….again. 

There will be more shootings in the next 24 hours,  so we need to wait another 24 and so on... nothing will ever get discussed with that logic. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

For those that legally do … Precursors to violent behavior that would flag gun purchases don’t arise when politicians don’t enforce basic laws.  

Mental health & SSRI’s are not a conversation we, as a nation, want to have right now. 

Let’s see who these suspects are, and what their criminal records may be.  Let’s see if they obtained these guns legally or illegally.   Because in most of these cases, new laws wouldn’t have stopped it… especially when the gun control advocates keep voting for people who don’t enforce laws to begin with. 

Which laws are not enforced that would prevent shootings?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

What laws that are sensible are not enforced?  I agree w the insane SSRI use in this country.  You seem to be stuck on lack of liberal law enforcement in general as a reason to not have gun control?  Not sure I get your reasoning. 
BTW conservative counties have just as much gun violence if not more.  

Edited by nedboy7

3 hours ago, Prospector said:

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, fidelity

Treat your neighbor as yourself

you guys are right, terrible ideas to conform to

Uhh….

Have you seen what passes for a large chunk of “ Religious” people today?

What you listed are incredibly noble and worthwhile virtues….. not a one of which requires the belief in superstition or supernatural beings.

• Like (+1) 1

Yet another sickening tragedy.  For those claiming it is solely a mental health issue as some politicians do, then here’s what I want to see:  a bill to increase mental health care.  Let’s see a bill that dedicates billions to recruitment and training of more mental health care professionals, more trained school counselors, more intervention.  If not then I don’t want to hear a damn word from any of those hypocrites.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Uhh….

Have you seen what passes for a large chunk of “ Religious” people today?

What you listed are incredibly noble and worthwhile virtues….. not a one of which requires the belief in superstition or supernatural beings.

So your argument is that because bad humans are religious then religion is bad?

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Which laws are not enforced that would prevent shootings?

John Doe is 16 years old. 

Commits a violent crime as a juvenile.  Judge is lenient and record is wiped when John Doe turns 18. 

John Doe jumps someone and is arrested at 18.  Pleads down to a misdemeanor. 

John Doe steals from a store.  Arrested.   Back out on the street.   Does it again. Arrested.  Back on the street. 

Should this person have legal access to a firearm? 

No. They shouldn’t.  But we elect people in these areas that feel, for whatever reason, that they need saving and let them slide through, unflagged in the registry … until the day they legally obtain a firearm and kill someone. 

People typically tell you who they are.  They usually don’t go from strait laced choir boy to staying strapped and taking a life. 

Or they do get flagged and illegally obtain a gun. 

Or they have mental health issues that go unchecked and/or medicated… and we, as a society, have no idea how to deal with the fact half this country is under chemical control.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1